ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite to win 2A

Finishing 6th in the state (all classes) in the 4x4 is not a small feat.

Good job SE!

Last year at Drake, St. Eds had 3 kids go under 50 seconds, one of those kids being Luke Becker. Becker graduated and St. Eds is trying to find someone to replace him.

To clear up a few questions, Kesten was injured during basketball districts and did not run in the first few track meets, as well as missing some for State Jazz (placing 3rd) and illness. A few other members also missed because of jazz band. Also, the foreign exchange student is nothing special and has only run a 2:07 so far this season in the 800.

The Gaels are running just fine now and should be right up there with West Marshall, Monticello, and Beckham. There's nothing guaranteed about this year's meet. It also looks like IC Regina has a good track team in the mix (fastest medley and open 4/8).

Iowa Falls has the fastest 4x100, Beckman 4x200, St Eds 4x400 and 4x800 (so far).

Originally posted by ghost80:
Finishing 6th in the state (all classes) in the 4x4 is not a small feat.

Good job SE!
I know that is a great job, however, only losing one guy from last years squad, I thought they would be in the top two or three again.

I think we can count out West Marshall for their title hopes. They have had a few injuries (Ferch in particular) and I just can't see them picking up enough points to take the top spot. That's not to say they can't score 30 points, but that won't be near enough to win.

I saw them last night, they got beat by 100 points. They will be lucky to score 30 points at State.

SE is looking mighty fine coming off a fresh pair of team victories at Hampton Dumont and Boone meets! This is the time to start turning some heads!

Soyo - let's remember that these meets aren't necessarily a good comparison to a team that will place high as a team at the State Meet.

Thank you for reminding me of that mtdew. I know that these meets have nothing to do towards the state meet, however, these were the first two meets SE won this year, meaning, there times are dropping (and possibly poorer competition, but I won't talk about that). This is the time to start droppin' some time!

Madrid won the Class 1A title last year and St. Edmond just does not have the depth it has in previous years, mainly 2006-2009. The Gaels don't bother putting their best competition in races they have no intention of running at state because of their lack of depth, and this always hurts them in the meets. However, at state depth does not matter. The Gaels won the 4x2, 4x4, 4x8 and Distance Med in the Conference meet today very easily, beating Algona in each relay. Neil Flattery also ran a 49.27 and Kesten a 22.40. The Coaches have some tough decisions on what to run down at state, there's a lot of mixing up they could do with opens and combinations.

Based on quickstats and if they score 10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1 at state, I don't know the system, then I have SE with 65 pts. Obviously they can't run all those events with those guys, but that is what I come up with.

I saw West Marshall put up some solid stats for their District on QuikStats. Arment ran some amazing 100 and 200 times, and WM moved into the top 5 of all of the relays (excluding Shuttle Hurdle). Should be a great meet between WM and SE, and Monticello and Mid-Prarie and have a chance to put up some good numbers as well.

I see SE having a very, very good shot at winning the whole thing! Taking 12 events, with most of them possibly scoring, and I mean scoring high, will be tough to beat!

I do think it will come down to West Marshall, SE, Monty and Mid-Prairie. It is unfortunate for Regina, but SE may benefit the most from Bonthius injury.

Bonthius' injury pretty much just wrapped up SE's title IMO. (ICR might have taken some points away from them to keep the others close)

I have SE approaching 60 points with WM & Monticello coming in around low 50's. Obviously, you never know once they step on the track.

If WM hits 50 points and gets runner up, (or 3rd) it will be the 2nd year in a row that they scored over 50 AND didn't win. (Solon 63 WM 59 last year)

I don't believe a team had ever scored more than 50 in a meet and NOT won the title prior to that.

Using districts as a basis, this is what the scores would be had points been based off districts. In no way am I saying this will happen, but it will most likely resemble the scores to a decent extent. Obviously some teams were tired running certain races having no rest, may not have run their hardest, had no one to run with, had bad weather conditions, etc. But anyways...

St. Edmond - 64
Monticello - 51
West Marshall - 50
Hudson - 31
Beckman - 29
PCM - 27
IF-A - 24
Sioux Central - 17
South Central Calhoun - 16
Mid-Prairie - 15
B-F - 15
Mid-Prairie - 15

Obviously things will change. I remember last year SE had the top times in the 4x2, 4x4, 4x8 and 2nd in Medley but only scored 26 points between them. I also remember West Marshall and Monticello's times shooting way down. I think the variable that will determine the track meet is Nate Kolacia. He has the fastest 1600 and 3200 times, but how will he run at state. We all know and expect Arment to take the title in the 1, 2, 4x1 and 4x2 which would get 40 points for WM, but they don't have much else to score points with besides a few points in the 4x4, 4x8 and Medley.

Wow, SE's does have a horseshoe up their #@@. the kid from Bondurant has the best time in the 3200 for the year and one of the best in the 1500 and he isn't at state. must have got hurt.

Bonthius from ICR and Larscheid from BF just helped SE big time.

Also looks like another Regina kid that had the 6th fastest 3200 time isn't there.

\
This post was edited on 5/16 1:56 PM by terrehawk

Looking forward to tomorrow. Thursday will determine what team will have the momentum going into Friday. Will it be Monty, SE or WM? Should be fun to watch.

Thursday:

Monticello: 3200 (3rd), 4x800 (2nd), 400 (11th)

St Edmond: 3200 (1st), 4x800 (1st), 400 (1st)

West Marshall: 3200 (19th), 4x800 (9th), 400 (15th)

Shuttle Hurdle, 100, 200 are prelims on Thursday. Looks like Thursday will be largely dominated by SE and Monticello. If Monticello is going to win state, they'll need to get at least one first place finish, most likely two.

Note: Places based off district results
This post was edited on 5/18 5:05 PM by tigercat9

Stickman,

I think you are dead wrong about SE forcing soccer on their athletes next year. It make absolutely no sense.

First, SE has a tradition in track. There is no way the school will throw that away to either continue sharing a soccer program with FDH (who is no superpower in 3A soccer) or start with a program on their own (which would be downright ugly).

Second, SE has a tradition in baseball. There is no doubting soccer is a tough physical sport. Kids will get injured playing this game and SE's kids tend to not be the hardiest when it comes to injury. The same kids who comprised their vastly undersized football line would get tossed around like rag dolls fighting for 50/50s at mid field. There is no way SE wouldn't lose key kids on their baseball team to soccer injuries.

Third, pride. The SE faithful know SE is dominant in track and baseball. There is no way they would allow their kids to enter a program where they would have a much less chance of winning. This would include the thought that if they continued to share a program with FDH many of the new SE kids would ride the bench or play JV and not be able to beat out the FDH kids already in the program.

Good luck at state SE. You got it right by sticking to the oval. The soccer field is not in your best interest.

Originally posted by ghost80:
Stickman,

I think you are dead wrong about SE forcing soccer on their athletes next year. It make absolutely no sense.

First, SE has a tradition in track. There is no way the school will throw that away to either continue sharing a soccer program with FDH (who is no superpower in 3A soccer) or start with a program on their own (which would be downright ugly).

Second, SE has a tradition in baseball. There is no doubting soccer is a tough physical sport. Kids will get injured playing this game and SE's kids tend to not be the hardiest when it comes to injury. The same kids who comprised their vastly undersized football line would get tossed around like rag dolls fighting for 50/50s at mid field. There is no way SE wouldn't lose key kids on their baseball team to soccer injuries.

Third, pride. The SE faithful know SE is dominant in track and baseball. There is no way they would allow their kids to enter a program where they would have a much less chance of winning. This would include the thought that if they continued to share a program with FDH many of the new SE kids would ride the bench or play JV and not be able to beat out the FDH kids already in the program.

Good luck at state SE. You got it right by sticking to the oval. The soccer field is not in your best interest.
Of course you do know that one of the best soccer players in the Fort Dodge program's history was a St. Eds alum, right ghost?
tongue.gif

A stand out soccer player from Saint Eds? That has got to be recruiting. They probably recognized his athletic prowess and thought they could turn him to compete in track instead ;)

Has anybody heard from Spook lately? Wasn't it him that said St. Edmond didn't have enough to win it because they weren't winning any track meets this spring? What are your thoughts now, you SE hater? He is still probably wrapped up in his "dome" discussion.

When it is 80 degrees at Drake, there is not a finer high school event to view than the State Track meet.

Spoon, you need to head back to class for more schooling. I suggest a reading comprehension class. Nowhere did I write that they would not win state. What I wrote was that they appeared to not be very deep, because i was scratching my head why they didnt win any tracks meets early.. And the very next poster (bdrube) agreed with me, but in his opinion a team didnt need to be deep to win state. thru the posts, i also said and agredd that they had some talent. Seems to me, you are the hater....basically hate anyone that isnt st eds or poky.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT