ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite to win 2A

TD-BOMBS

Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 7, 2007
Top 3 St.Eds,Beckman and West Marshall. What do you think? Is there some one I am missing?

St Eds will win by a ton. They just have too much coming back and a lot of depth.

I think St. Edmond, West Marshall and Beckman have to be the front runners right now based on what is returning. I think St. Edmond will place high in the 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 4 X 200, 4 X 400, Medley, and the 4 X 800. It will be interesting to see if they can make it 5 championships in a row this year in the 4 X 400.
This post was edited on 1/6 3:30 PM by Spoon3251
This post was edited on 1/6 3:31 PM by Spoon3251
This post was edited on 1/6 3:32 PM by Spoon3251

Obviously, I would love to see SE take it. I would agree with Spoon's assessment. I believe they are 1 of only 3 teams to ever 4peat 4x4, has anyone ever gotten 5?

I see both St.Eds and Beckman bring back 3 of the 4 runners from last year teams for the 4x4 that went 1st and 2nd!

Anyone know what IC High did in the 4x4 in the mid to late 90s? I know they won 99-01, I believe. And even won all of the relays in 2001. Im not sure if they did that another time. But, if anyone won 5 Id imagine it was IC.

Hard to answer a question when there are no results to be found and it would have happened before I started following track.

Yes, when we get older/lazier we make excuses. Glad to have you aboard the "older crowd" train!!

I agree with WM, SE, and DB (no particular order). Also assumes Solon is 3A. WM scored 59 points last year and loses one kid that scored 6 points in an individual event and was a sprinter on 3 relays that placed.

SE loses Becker and DB loses Goerdt. Anyone else these teams are losing or gaining?

bdube - no results to be found? The link to the IAHSAA track site is below. I don't have time to look through to answer the question on who has won the most times in a row.

Track Stats

Not sure how many WM lost due to graduation last year, but SE didn't lose to much. SE should be very strong this year and I would take them as the favorites right now.

SE will be very tough, they are loaded. They have amazing depth at the 400 and 800 distances. WM lost 6 points in individual scoring. The elder Ferch was also on 3 relays that scored.

I heard that Saint Edmond has a foreign exchange student that runs a sub two minute 800 and a 50 second 400. Can anyone from from Saint Edmond verify these facts?

He's actually run 1:53.5. Not sure on the 400, but Id imagine he can go under 50 on a split.

He's from Germany. He did cross country in the fall. He will probably run more distance than anything.

SE was the only team I could find that has 4-peated the 4x400. I guess if I knew the other schools in question it'd be easier to look up.

I believe IC High only ever won 3 in a row with a year or two in between their next title.

SE tied the record for the 4x4 this past year with 4 consecutive wins. If they win it this year, which is a good possibility, SE will have the record with 5 consectutive 4x4 championships!

The last SE post on this thread was over a month ago.....Im wondering, if they are going to win state...when are they going to win their 1st track meet of the year? 3 track meets last week and 2 this week and still no team title. Plus, their vaunted 4x400 just got beat by a (gasp) twin lakes conference team.
Looks to me like they have some talent.....but not deep enough to cover all the bases.

You don't need to be deep to win the state meet. This has been proven repeatedly throughout the years. All you need is a few good individuals. And an early April 4x4 is really probably what SE is gunning for right now.

You are obviously an SE hater. Which is fine, but I'd have to say you are jumping the gun. I'd not count them out yet. especially the 4x4, considering they have been able to reload the last few years and get it done.

I am definitely not a SE supporter, but I could see SE scoring between 35-40 points at the State Meet...which should put them in the top 5.

As for the Class 2A 4x4. SE will be right there along with Beckman.

not a SE hater at all. I have to many ties the the school to be labeled a "hater". this thread is top heavy with proclaimations of them being stacked and loaded this year....and so far I just havent seen any such results. . because of the lack of any team titles so far its just got me scratching my head. will they score some points at state? I would think so, it just seems to me like they need to start stepping it up a notch. I have a feeling that some of the SE faithful are thinking the same thing, and thats why i made the comment about no SE post or comment for over a month.
This post was edited on 4/15 8:08 AM by spook78

Spooky - SE is near the top on the performance lists for several events. I'd say they have a chance to place in the following events. I might have missed an event.

4x400
4x800
1600M Relay

Injuries, illnesses, 2 Flatterys and Keston missing the CYO and Dodger Relays would account for the 2nd place finishes. My bet would be SE's best 4x4 by at least 6 seconds over Manson best 4x4. SE has 3 of the 4 back from last years 4x4 that ran 3:18 at Drake and finished 2nd.

I agree, St. Edmond has been sort of a mystery this spring, but it doesn't look like they have all their guns loaded yet. I still think St. Edmond will be right at the top again in May. They have three returners from last year's 4 X 4 that ran a 3.18 something at Drake last year. Their 4 X 200, 4 X 800 and Medley are all solid and should score highly at the state meet. Kolacia is one of the top runners right now in the 1600 and 3200 in 2A and should score points at state. I see Hank Lentsch has jump 6'2", so they could score there as well.

Depending on who runs in the above relays, I could see Kesten, Neil Flattery or Fosbender running an open event like the open 400 and scoring there, also.

That had to be the first time since the turn of the century that Manson has beat anybody outside the TLC.

Hopefully they will do it this year if the rumor is true.

A little birdie told me that in their lust for the seemingly unreachable UNI Dome SE is making some changes.

All the football studs are going to be push off the oval and over onto the soccer field to help them "grow a pair" on the gridiron.

If true that would be interesting.
This post was edited on 4/15 1:47 PM by stickman80

Dew: "top of the performance lists" doesnt impress me much. Why? football yearly is littered with individuals and teams with big numbers of rushing yards and passing yards and yet when they get in tough competition at the end of the year they dont make it thru. same goes on in almost all the sports really. basketball, baseball, golf, etc. Just because the numbers are up there does not guarantee sucess.
nightfever: "injuries & illnesses" glad you have some excuses. wait, those excuses cant be used. they are brought up all the time in other sports and it just dont cut it. ALL teams have injuries and illnesses. If anything, its just pointing out exactly their lack of depth.
Spoon: turn of the century or not.....Manson ran head to head with St Eds...and beat them.

Dew: totally different question here, And I know you know high school sports, and i dont know under what thread this would go under so I'll ask you.
That bus of Kuemper athletes that went in the ditch the other day. All i heard was they were students and coaches.......What sport were they in? Cuz i never heard on the news.

Comparing top of track and field performance lists to football and rushing yards is ludicrous. Two totally different sports.

The top time in the state does not mean you will win state, but it isn't the same as a 2000 yard rusher going against his first good defense of the year either.

Injuries and illness aren't excuses that can be used throughout the entire season, but early on. Sure why not, if it comes to the end of the year and they are still not doing great. Then the team just isn't as good as predicted.

Again, if SE wins the state title in the 4x4 again, it does not matter if they lost to Manson at some early season meet. Plenty of people have beat the state champ during the regular season but didn't get it done at state.

The 2 Flatterys and Keston aren't injured. They are outstanding musicians and missed the CYO and Dodger relays not because they were injured, but because of the state jazz band festivals.

Speaking of "growing a pair", how many kids from Manson would be able to anchor the 4x4 25 minutes after winning the 800?

You aren't going to grow a pair for football blowing on a horn or running on a track.

To think those will better prepare you for football than a physical, often contact filled sport played on the same surface as football is played is just ignorance.

Don't know if the rumor is true or not but it might be a good thing for SE if it isn't. They seem to have trouble keeping their athletes healthy through basketball and baseball. Soccer will be way rougher than either of those.

BTW, welcome back Trike!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT