ADVERTISEMENT

Dream Team... No Meeks?

MitchL

Varsity
Oct 31, 2005
Protecting that #1 National ranking?

I am not going to buy any garbage about weight allowances or minor injuries, but I guess the family will have to live with their decision.

You dont have to buy it! It is not your decision.Meeks will get plenty of opportunities to defend his #1 ranking. Find another way to entertain yourself.

We as the family have no problem living with it, John does not owe anybody anything. If John was number 2 and Skon was number 1, no one would care but the hawks are all up in arms for their recruit and that is fine, we have are reasons and they will never be accepted by the hawks
But when it is all said and done we are clones and proud of it so if the hawks are mad the clones are glad

All i got from that was. We don't have a reason. Lol. I would only have a few.
1.Death in the Family
2.Injury---SEVERE!!!
3.Im Dead.
Not sure what other reasons there could be.
But what we now have learned is.. We don't have a reason. Just doesn't feel like it?
At least one of our 4 timers will wrestle. #7 vs #1? That is why we Mr. Meeks LOVE our HAWKEYES. :)

Originally posted by rough rider fan:
We as the family have no problem living with it, John does not owe anybody anything. If John was number 2 and Skon was number 1, no one would care but the hawks are all up in arms for their recruit and that is fine, we have are reasons and they will never be accepted by the hawks
But when it is all said and done we are clones and proud of it so if the hawks are mad the clones are glad

I'm betting there are a few Clones wanting John to wrestle the match also but aren't going to say anything because they don't want to upset anyone. A poster said John will have plenty of opportunities to defend his #1 ranking. Not against the #2 kid in the country he won't. Never seen a top ranked kid not wrestle in this, excuses are like, well you all know the rest.

well here is your first
if you knew what we have been told you may or may not do it but it does not matter will still be a good event with out John

Hi! OK, let's get this straight:

John Meeks (a high school senior) and his family made the decision for him not to participate in an exhibition meet, and this is everyone's business HOW?

John Meeks has the right to turn down this invitation without a word of explanation to anyone. While I realize that many of you think that you have the right to make this decision for him, you actually don't, any more than I have to make decisions for your kids. Leave it alone; he's a high school kid, not a member of your personal staff.

People like you give wrestling (well, wrestling fans) a bad name.

I thought I heard that the travel distance made it restrictive for the family. That, and the fact that his opponent would have been the #2 ranked guy in the country.

And while I agree that it is no one else's business to know the reasons, this is an opportunity that few top notch kids ever turn down.

I'm sure it's only a coincidence that the kid(kids) he would wrestle against on the Pennsylvania all star team are ranked considerably lower then Skon.

For Hawk fans... it's nice to see that Clark is up to the challenge of wrestling the best.

Originally posted by dadthencoach:
Hi! OK, let's get this straight:

John Meeks (a high school senior) and his family made the decision for him not to participate in an exhibition meet, and this is everyone's business HOW?

John Meeks has the right to turn down this invitation without a word of explanation to anyone. While I realize that many of you think that you have the right to make this decision for him, you actually don't, any more than I have to make decisions for your kids. Leave it alone; he's a high school kid, not a member of your personal staff.

People like you give wrestling (well, wrestling fans) a bad name.

Like I have stated previously, him or them turning this down is like a basketball kid turning down an invite to the McDonalds All Star game. Kids wrestle for the challenge, here's a good one. I have no dog in this fight, I would just like to watch another great match in this meet. As far as fans like me giving wrestling fans a bad name, like I said earlier, opinions and excuses are like --------.

John Meeks doesn't owe you a match, and this is hardly the McDonalds All-Star game; it's an exhibition meet at the West High gym. Kids wrestle for a challenge, but they also have the right to wrestle their own schedule. And apparently, your definition of opinions and excuses must describe you well.

Originally posted by dadthencoach:
John Meeks doesn't owe you a match, and this is hardly the McDonalds All-Star game; it's an exhibition meet at the West High gym. Kids wrestle for a challenge, but they also have the right to wrestle their own schedule. And apparently, your definition of opinions and excuses must describe you well.

He is also invited to be on The Dream Team, is that not EXACTLY like the McDonalds High School All Star Game which is an EXHIBITION? If you don't want him to wrestle, or don't care, fine by me. I happen to want him to compete. I'm just going to ignore the last part of your post.
This post was edited on 3/1 9:51 PM by WEH8ST8HAWK

When I coach a kid I always stack the deck in our favor, seek out all the advantages and all the angles. Therefore, why should Meeks go out there and wrestle with a weight disadvantage to satisfy someone who would love to see him lose and most likely never accomplished anything close to what he has and who does not understand all the considerations. I believe if I give up size then my opponent will In turn miss some meals and deal with weight cutting issues. Meeks will face many of the top ranked wrestlers this summer. You don't have to get it!
This post was edited on 3/1 11:13 PM by Newstart1

Best part is when people make excuses why kids shouldn't, don't have to or blah blah.
We are disappointed because we love our Iowa boys. We want them to go out there and wreck those dream team kids or #1 #2 #3 ect.
John Meeks is an AMAZING wrestler, and when we don't get to see him showcase it. YEAH your going to hear our opinions.

If I was Mr. Meeks I wouldn't give you any explanation, other than we are not doing it its their decision. Maybe those of you people that feel he must do it can provide us with your own personal stories where you stood up and practiced what you preach.
This post was edited on 3/2 12:13 AM by Newstart1

wrestlers are given 6lb allowance and weigh in thursday at noon and wrestle friday night....john a small 138 lber but his opponent will weigh 155 by the time the match would start i suspect thats not acceptable to meeks family
why cant the wrestlers weigh in one hour before the match with a 4lb allowance...that would be fair

Originally posted by weatherthestorm:
wrestlers are given 6lb allowance and weigh in thursday at noon and wrestle friday night....john a small 138 lber but his opponent will weigh 155 by the time the match would start i suspect thats not acceptable to meeks family
why cant the wrestlers weigh in one hour before the match with a 4lb allowance...that would be fair

Skones uncle has stated on Hawkeyereport that Nate would wrestle him and weigh 138 so we can all throw out the 155 stuff.

Originally posted by WEH8ST8HAWK:

Originally posted by weatherthestorm:

Skones uncle has stated on Hawkeyereport that Nate would wrestle him and weigh 138 so we can all throw out the 155 stuff.

Exactly,plus Dapper Dan has the same type of weigh in rules and you can bet the PA guys won't weigh in lite to accomodate anyone.

Interesting topic. Things I have gleened.

The Meeks family doesn't want him to wrestle. Well within their rights and understandable. They also don't owe anybody an explanation. My advice in this case is stay off the board and don't fuel the topic.

When a #1 kid decides not to compete and no reason is given then others will form their opinion. That is also their privilege and since this is a message board they will share it no matter if it is backed up by fact or not.

There will be plenty of time in the future for this match to happen. It would however be good to see it happen now before they enter college to see how it would go. Both should be healthy and in shape and as most know things change when you get to college, priorities change, training changes, people get dinged etc.

For the growth of the sport (not Meeks family responsibility) the match should occur. These type of matches can only help the sport grow, it can get the casual fan to watch the best of the best, Hawk-Cyclone, Iowa high school-out of stater, etc. it expands the viewing season and maybe keep kids in the sport, generate interest etc.

Am I curious as to why he won't wrestle? of course, do I think they should provide a reason? In my opinion it would put the rumors to rest. Do they "owe" it to anybody? of course not. Would more people attend the meet if it occurred? yes, would it be good for the sport of wrestling as a whole? yes.

But, again, all is you curiosity is moot. This is a family decision. This isn't a 1 vs. 2, Hawk vs. Cyclone, Iowa vs. National Team decision. It's a Meeks family decision. There isn't any other way around it.
You can argue an speculate about all you want, but in the end, it's a family decision, and the Meeks' family deserves the privacy and respect for their family that you family does.
Leave it alone.

If someone is calling the Meeks family and bothering them about their decision then that is invading their privacy is wrong. Speculating about it on a message board does not violate their privacy. If that is the theory then message boards will die. I have been on the other side of this issue. Things are typed and I choose wether to respond or not. Some got a response backed by fact, some were ignored as I considered the source. I was always confident in my decisions and in my responses so the effort to respond and state the truth was worth it. I never considered it a violation of my privacy.

Seriously, TheShocker125 did you go to Fargo? How did it go? Tell us about some of your challenges that you stepped up to as an example. Maybe you might inspire John Meeks. As someone mentioned on here society is missing the go getters like supposed you.

It is most definitely a family decision. No doubt about it. If Meeks doesn't want to go, for whatever reason, he isn't going to go.

I do think he should go though. It is a tremendous opportunity in many different ways.

Originally posted by MitchL:
I thought I heard that the travel distance made it restrictive for the family. That, and the fact that his opponent would have been the #2 ranked guy in the country.

And while I agree that it is no one else's business to know the reasons, this is an opportunity that few top notch kids ever turn down.

I'm sure it's only a coincidence that the kid(kids) he would wrestle against on the Pennsylvania all star team are ranked considerably lower then Skon.

For Hawk fans... it's nice to see that Clark is up to the challenge of wrestling the best.

Post of the year so far!

DMR to ICW 118 miles or a little under 2 hours. DMR to Pittsburgh, PA 785 miles or close to 13 hours.

I won cadets once and placed both times in juniors. Ive been beat by guys like Alton and Boris. Guys that are top D1 wrestlers today. I never ran from anyone, ive been stomped before and also returned the favor.
I have no advice. Rather the kid wants to compete or not. It his choice. Doubt its a family conflict however. Or even a weight issue. Like i said before. Might want to time off before he spends the next 4-5 years in the big leagues showcasing. His father running on the boards jacks people up, makes them speculate and opinionate hardcore. Though he is use to it because he is on here religiously. Would suggest not coming on with BS(i dont owe anything blah) Better off not putting a word in because all your going to get it negativity.
I personally see John being the next Jordan Boroughs or better. Kids a stud rather he is a Hawk or a Clone.
Good luck

.??can you explan?and how did you do with the two wrestlers you mentioned aboved?
Were you a state champion?
This post was edited on 3/2 11:54 AM by Newstart1

This was suppose to be an event to showcase Iowa's talented senior class. Then the most talented kid doesn't show up. What a dissapointment even if it is a family decision

TheShocker125 can you please answer my questions above. Were you a state champion, were you competitive against the wrestlers you mentioned above and did you ever wrestle Montell Marion?

i will state the whole story for you all and then i wont comment on it anymore.
John is a small 138, he did not want to go to 132 because he has two friends there (a weight that he could get to in one pract) he could of cut to 126 with a little effort but his friend is there, so he made the choice to go 138.
now when the rankings came out we were shocked because Nate faces a tougher deeper pool of talent than John does so why did he drop to #2, we were told that nate and john had both faced Todd Preston, John beat Todd at Fargo and Nate lost tot him.
We were then asked to wrestle at the Daper Dan and it was said that John would not know who he had till the second week of March (we asked all of the questions that we needed answers to and John excepted after he spoke to his high school coach, his trainer and coach jackson)

on last week we got a call about the dream team and we asked the same questions, after John spoke to the same people above he declined. Here is the reasons why (We asked to wrestle at 132 because at the beginning of the season we were told that john had to certify at 132 to be eligible for this weight for these type of all star meets, so we did, we were then told that John had to go the weight that you went at for the state turny.
We then asked about the weight allowance we were told 6pd, we asked about the weighins, we were told that John would wrestle on friday but weighins would be on Thurseday before the banquet - this is where the problem came in)
John is slated to be a 133pd, Nate is slated to be a 149pd in college. Nate is cutting atleast 15pd to get to 138 and John is weighing 136 on full feed, he weighed 138 on finals night, now by the time that these two would wrestle you tell me what they will be weighing - if you really say that you know and understand wrestling then you know that this is a TRAP.( as the football coach "Herm Edwards" would say (You play to win the game - you never put yourself in a hole so deep that it is hard to see out of, you need to be smart and this would not be a smart decission)

Know one has ever said that John has run from anybody, when people were saying that John needs to test his self with tougher wrestlers and why is he not wrestling at Fargo _ the reason why he did not do it before his Jr year is because he stated that he did not like the style, then when we got him to do it he got several Clones to train him for two and a half months and he went to national duals and went 11-0 he then went to Fargo and placed 6th (off of two plus months of training)John never ran

Saying all of that to say this - John says that he is not dodging or scared of Nate.this set up is a trap and not fair and his coaches said NO.
As for the person that brought up the distance comment, that is a asinine statement.
My last comment is that we wish Nate well we have know issues with him from everything that i have been told is that he is a top notch kid from a solid family and i think that he is going to a great school for him, which is the same thing that i said to Conor Ryan, as for SOME of the posters, i am tired of the back and forth about John -hawks distaine Clones and Clones distain Hawks. This match is not going to happen and we will see you all in a few months, let the chips fall where they may.
This post was edited on 3/2 5:25 PM by rough rider fan

Newstart yes i was, Marion and i never competed against each other. I have wrestle with him before, I lost to Boris in fargo and lost my junior year to Alton at fargo but beat him my sophomore year.
I do not have to guard myself, but will hide behind my screen name due to the fact..
1.Screen Names are used to protect your identiy.
2.I have been basically warned to not be on the boards lol

Sounds perfect to me Mr. Meeks. Did not realize he was that light... 20lb difference is A lot. Too bad they couldn't do like an extra match at 132 or something.
Now you got me wondering if he could cut to 125 for college :) That would be stellar.

Just to get this strait... Meeks could have possibly wrestled 126, but wrestled 138 while going for his 4th state title in Iowa because he had friends from other teams at the other weights??? And this is the reason he can't (or won't) wrestle at the dream team and represent Iowa and the sport of wrestling in a match that may single handedly bring more people to the venue. Without knowing him, I would have guessed he would jump at this opportunity to compete. Obviously a family choice and that ends it, but this seems odd in my opinion (a simple message board reader and now poster, I know, but just seems odd to me).
This post was edited on 3/2 7:23 PM by billypearl

WOW! Just WOW!

And for the record... the distance comment was extreme sarcasm.

Actually I'm the person that told Mr. Meeks don't do it so blame me. I been here before I'll have a kid who didn't cut weight during the regular season espeally their senor year. But, when you go these off season events that require you to compete at a particular weight class plus a weight allowance and only one weight in I DONT LIKE IT! I spend my time gaining advantages for my kids and now I'm going to give one away? I don't think so. On the Natl level if you want to wrestle Meeks with a wt allowance and a early weigh in then you can expect to wrestle him at the 132lb wt class. I come to this conclusion based on past experience and I stand with that decision. So people can come to negative conclusion if they wish, I don't care.

Then explain something to me! Did the Meeks' get a guarantee that no one from the Pennsy team will be in a similar weight advantage. Why not the same concerns?

And for the record in direct response to RRF... the weight these guys might wrestle at in college is irrelevant to this issue at this time. And a common opponent also means nothing to this conversation when there is a direct opportunity for a face to face.

Again... it's not our business, but it surely looks like a absolute attempt to avoid this matchup on the part of the Meeks', oh, and apparently Kevin Jackson.

Hay guys I don't mean to sound hardcore. I Also would like to watch Meeks compete in this type of venue but not under theses circumstance. Part of my job is to watch out for my kids best interest. I did this Type of situation before and left the competition with regret. Who knows maybe we can effect a rule change in the future allowing a little more freedom regarding which weight class the competors can compete at. But those who care about john we know that he is a competitor and he takes on chanlleges and our opinion rightly means more to him and to his family as opposed to some of those expressed here. Again, I'm the one to blame for the decision.
This post was edited on 3/3 6:38 AM by Newstart1
This post was edited on 3/3 6:40 AM by Newstart1

To MitchL -the ans is there is no guar but we find the weigh- in format more acceptable although not ideal. And to your other comment about protecting the ranking? Perhaps not wrestling may do this. But we all know in this sport you can run but you cannot hide so if that's the case it will catch up with John sooner or later. But obviously John must be doing some of the right things on the Natl level to gain his ranking in the first place facing opponents and etc.. By the way MitchL did I see you in the parking garage downtown Des Moines the other day.

Newstart1
Actually I'm the person that told Mr. Meeks don't do it so blame me. I been here before I'll have a kid who didn't cut weight during the regular season espeally their senor year. But, when you go these off season events that require you to compete at a particular weight class plus a weight allowance and only one weight in I DONT LIKE IT! I spend my time gaining advantages for my kids and now I'm going to give one away? I don't think so. On the Natl level if you want to wrestle Meeks with a wt allowance and a early weigh in then you can expect to wrestle him at the 132lb wt class. I come to this conclusion based on past experience and I stand with that decision. So people can come to negative conclusion if they wish, I don't care.

Newstart1
Hay guys I don't mean to sound hardcore. I Also would like to watch Meeks compete in this type of venue but not under theses circumstance. Part of my job is to watch out for my kids best interest. I did this Type of situation before and left the competition with regret. Who knows maybe we can effect a rule change in the future allowing a little more freedom regarding which weight class the competors can compete at. But those who care about john we know that he is a competitor and he takes on chanlleges and our opinion rightly means more to him and to his family as opposed to some of those expressed here. Again, I'm the one to blame for the decision.

Newstart1
To MitchL -the ans is there is no guar but we find the weigh- in format more acceptable although not ideal. And to your other comment about protecting the ranking? Perhaps not wrestling may do this. But we all know in this sport you can run but you cannot hide so if that's the case it will catch up with John sooner or later. But obviously John must be doing some of the right things on the Natl level to gain his ranking in the first place facing opponents and etc.. By the way MitchL did I see you in the parking garage downtown Des Moines the other day.

Mr Meeks/Newstart- The more you continue to explain the more you raise legitimate questions. It was stated by Skons family that he would weigh in at 132 or 138 in order to wrestle John. I certainly do not expect an answer because I am not entitled to one. However, I am curious why John would wrestle for the Dapper Dan before he would wrestle for Team Iowa given similar allowances and skons willingness to weigh in at 132 or 138 (if that is true). Is it fair to say that if it were day of weigh ins and a 5 lbs allowance or day before with 0 allowance John would wrestle Skon? I personally would like to see the match which obviously wont happen. I think John wins the match. I have seen both wrestle. In any event congrats to John for doing what very few have.

This post was edited on 3/3 10:29 AM by phfan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT