ADVERTISEMENT

DI and DIII nats

bdrube

Hall of Fame
Jun 28, 2001
Some pretty good performances by former Iowa Preps today at DI nats. Katie Flood led the charge with a 7th place individual finish in 19:47. ISU women had a pretty good day with a 7th place finish, and multiple iowa girls running on the team. Plenty of other good performances.

On saturday, former Clear Lake runner Alana Edabnit placed 10th to lead the Wartburg women to a 6th place team finish. Again, a lot of other great performances by Iowa preps. I just don't feel like listing all that I saw.

7th by Flood is very impressive.
Curious...
Who is the highest place winner (both male and female) for a native Iowan in DI cross country over the years?

I assumed it was Flood, I can't think of anyone else that placed higher. And there was a pack of 8-9 with about 400 to go. She was in it the whole way. Hopefully she stays healthy this track season and can build on this success.

I suppose missy buttry "would have" been if she ran the D1 race her senior year.

What was Jeff Jacob's best place? I know he was all american a couple times.

Nan Doak?? She was all american, she was one of the best in the US and World after college - not sure of place while in college though.
( 9 time All-American. 2. NCAA champion in 10k. 3. Three times USA cross country team member. 4. Held world record for 3 miles indoors. 5. Four time Big Ten champion. 6. Recipient of the Southland Corporation Olympia Award. 7. Nominated for the Big Ten athlete of the year. 8. Nominated for the Vic Young Iowa Amateur award in 1988. Her success has continued after graduation from college. 1. In 1986-87 placed 3rd at the Orange Bowl in 10k. 2. In 1986 placed 6th at the World Cross Country championships.)

My initial thought was Lisa Koll, but in CC she placed twice in the teens at the national meet.

Though I don't claim her as an Iowan, Jenny Barringer is by technicality. She was born in Webster City, but moved out of state long before grade school. She was twice NCAA runner-up for Colorado.

Here's a national champion born and raised in Iowa. Iowa State's Peggy Neppel-Darrah won the 1975 AIAW national championship (DI equivalent of NCAAs). She was from Lincoln Central (Estherville). She was inducted into the IATC Hall of Fame and was a former world record holder for 10k. Longest event offered in Olympics during her time was 1500, so she did not compete. Was training for 1984 Olympic Marathon, but died of cancer/pneumonia at the age of 28.

More Info @ IATC site

Yeah, I'd say Barringer does not count. I know some people would like to claim that, but that simply isn't the case as she never competed here. I'd imagine there have been other people that were born here but moved at a very young age that went on to have solid careers.

I was disappointed with Houlihan's performance at Nationals. I expected more from her on the big stage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT