ADVERTISEMENT

Creating a team: who are you taking?

Feb 28, 2019
Pick your starting 5 from the State tournament.

1. Hilmer
2. Born
3. Mccaffery or Sisoko
4. Foster or Carter
5. Samake

I will admit I wasn’t too impressed with 4a. Am I wrong? Was the defense really that good and that’s why scoring was so low?

There are others I can be convinced of, but two of my five would be Montes (GVC) and Shearer (Montezuma). If I were picking based on projections, I'd take Foster and Samake.

There are others I can be convinced of, but two of my five would be Montes (GVC) and Shearer (Montezuma). If I were picking based on projections, I'd take Foster and Samake.
Thanks Mrs. HIlmer but not many would
take the Upper Iowa daddy/coach fake stat 1a/2a guy over the kids getting recruited by Kentucky, Duke, Drake, UNI, IowaSt, and Iowa.
Good grief

Reactions: WSC72
Obviously, a lot can be on the list. That’s why it’s a discussion thread.

And Upper Iowa is getting a really good player. You’ll see.

Having thought about it, I'd probably go with

PG - Carton, Born
2G - Shearer, Bijek
F - Carter, Montes
F - McCaffery, Foster
C - Coburn, Kroggman

Center and the forwards are tough, there are so many that might fit, size wise, into one category, but have enough versatility to play multiple positions. Montes, as an example, could play four positions pretty well at the HS level, though he's more of a combo forward.

At forward, I'd give a hard look at Jappanah Kellogg and Cole Henry, and at PG Locure, if he showed me he had his head on straight for 28 full minutes at both ends.

Hey SSG T

The post started with this-----Pick your starting 5 from the State tournament.

Some of your picks didn't make it down.

I would also throw the point guard from Marion in the discussion. I don’t have a program with me but they kid was pretty good.

Murphy was his name if I remember right

Obviously, a lot can be on the list. That’s why it’s a discussion thread.

And Upper Iowa is getting a really good player. You’ll see.

Hillmer was a very good small class high school player but the NSIC is a tough D2 league with 3 National Champions in the last 10 years or so. Upper Iowa has traditionally finished near the bottom of the conference.

I hope he does well but it will be a huge step up in all facets of the game every night out. Will take him time to adjust to the athleticism and physical play.

Thanks Mrs. HIlmer but not many would
take the Upper Iowa daddy/coach fake stat 1a/2a guy over the kids getting recruited by Kentucky, Duke, Drake, UNI, IowaSt, and Iowa.
Good grief

Hahahahaha great post! But his daddy (and fake co coach granddaddy to increase his win total but who careas about stats) says one of the best in the state and definitely DI! He’s a very good player who gets the majority of his points using his quickness to get layups etc. not a great shooter. And not DI. If he was, I doubt he would be going DII just tp play baseball too.

Jake Hilmer was a stud high school basketball player and that’s what this list is about. There’s not a single coach in the state who wouldn’t be happy to have him on their team. Stud high school player does not always = D1 basketball player. There’s plenty of examples of that just like plenty examples of guys who end up being D1 bi weren’t necessarily even their best teams high school player.

Hilmer is a very talented player. He singlehandedly dismantled Boyden-Hull inside the paint which the entirety of the Siouxland Conference failed to do all year. Also a great kid with an outstanding attiude, got the chance to congratulate him on Mr. Basketball this past weekend and he definitely has his head in the right place. Hope to see him thrive at UI.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT