ADVERTISEMENT

convert time to mph

Jako18

Freshman
Jan 9, 2011
Anyone have a chart that converts stopwatch time to mph? I would love to get my hands on one. Thanks.

Trying to stopwatch the pitch accurately and consistently is impossible.

Originally posted by Jako18:
Anyone have a chart that converts stopwatch time to mph? I would love to get my hands on one. Thanks.
Distance/Time=Speed

Use that and convert it from ft/second to miles/hour

I know the formula and I know the innacuracy, just wondering if there is a chart out there somewhere. For example, .40 = x mph, .41 = x mph. I am not working with any numbers, I see coaches doing it, thought I may give it a shot and was wondering how they know what it means. Same with catchers, what are good numbers for catchers? Just looking for a chart.

Coaches aren't stopwatching the actual pitch they're timing the pop time of the catcher and the time it takes the pitcher to deliver the ball from the stretch for stealing purposes.

The coaches that are using a stopwatch to get velos are using the Scoutwatch. A good average for a high school catcher on his pop time is to be under a 2.1, a good college catcher will average under a 1.95. The pitchers pop time is measured from first movement until the ball reaches the catcher. A high school pitcher should be under a 1.4.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT