ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Scheduling

Dec 7, 2014
I am curious as to how conferences around the state schedule. How many conferences schedule a double round-robin (Home/Away) between each team to determine the conference champion? How many conferences just schedule a single game? How do conferences with divisions do their schedules? Do they crown one champion, or do they crown division champions? I would love to hear from folks from all parts of the state on the different scheduling options.

In the Hawkeye Ten, most teams will usually play each other twice during the season but are not required too. Only one of the games counts for conference standings. I am not completely sure how they determine what is conference and non-conference. If there is more than one team with the same record at the top of the conference, there is no tiebreaker and both will be crowned co-champions of the conference.

Top of Iowa west plays everyone in the west twice (home/away) same for east. All of those games count as conference games. The west and east each crown a champ and if there is a tie in either then there are co-champions. For example this year in boys the west will have co-champions in Bishop Garrigan and Lake mills unless one loses another conference game.

Siouxland does a double round-robin (18 games). Leaves only 3 non-conference games.

Double round-robin for the Southeast conference as well, but six teams so that's only half your schedule. Basically, every Friday night you play a conference game.

Southeast Iowa Super Conference has a north and south division each with ten teams. You’ll round robin a home and away with each division team, and those will be the only ones to count towards your conference record, even if you play teams from the other division in non-con. You are then matched up with your counterpart from the other side on the final Friday of the regular season. 2 vs 2 plays first with 1 vs 1 following at Iowa Wesleyan, with all others 3-10 also being matched up at different sites. Really cool setup for a conference imo.

The Siouxland Conference (10 teams) has each time play twice. Once home and once away. The winner of the conference is the team with the best record throughout their conference games. They do split the conference championship if the records are tied.

The Lakes Conference (6 teams) each team plays everyone twice but that leaves the teams with a lot of games to fill with no conference teams because of the conference only having 6 schools

The War Eagle Conference (11 teams) each team is required to play once. They are able to play some teams twice but not all of the teams meet up more than once. The good teams usually always play 2 games against each other. I'm not super involved with the war eagle conference so I'm not sure how the winner is selected with some teams meeting twice and others meeting once.

The War Eagle Conference (11 teams) each team is required to play once. They are able to play some teams twice but not all of the teams meet up more than once. The good teams usually always play 2 games against each other. I'm not super involved with the war eagle conference so I'm not sure how the winner is selected with some teams meeting twice and others meeting once.

War Eagle has "conference counters" and "non-conference counters". So one meeting is designated prior to the season as the conference counter to decide the conference champ. The other time they meet in the season is a non-conference game, essentially.

Missouri River Activities Conference has a double round robin - everyone plays twice, all games count.

Western Iowa Conference (9 teams) plays a double round-robin. I don't believe there is a tie breaker so you could end up with Co-Champs.

In the Hawkeye Ten, most teams will usually play each other twice during the season but are not required too. Only one of the games counts for conference standings. I am not completely sure how they determine what is conference and non-conference. If there is more than one team with the same record at the top of the conference, there is no tiebreaker and both will be crowned co-champions of the conference.

I never realized the Hawkeye Ten didn't play a double round robin. I just assumed with the lack of 3A schools in the area. I suppose for Shenandoah, Clarinda, Red Oak, and Creston that would be better since they are the biggest geographic outliers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT