ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Openings 2018-19

I know that North Polk is waiting to be more sure of possibly teaching positions. Maquoketa Valley has been interviewing recently, I would guess you'll hear something from them soon.

The other thing to take into consideration is the winter we've had, with all of the rescheduling and missed school, it has had to of slowed down progress on some of these jobs.

Reactions: FBisLife5309
AHSTW will be posted soon, as Davis Pattee has accepted the AD/Assistant Principal job at Harlan, taking over for the legendary Mitch Osborn. This is coming from KMA Sports

That is a strange jump from a 2A school to a Class A school, must know something the rest of us don't.

I've heard Fairfield will be offering their head job to someone very soon.

AHSTW and Sumner-Fred have both been posted. AHSTW was a dome team a year ago, but lose a very talented SR class.

Tipton AD announced Friday they promoted an assistant after a back and forth process. A lot of slow action as very little teaching has been posted with a decent amount of head jobs. Any idea if North Polk or Madrid has selected anyone?

I believe Coach Howard had to step down since he retired, but I would be stunned if it's anyone but him that gets the job.

I don't think you will see too many more jobs open up this late in the year. Could be wrong though, might get some jobs open once these other jobs fill. However, you don't see too many coaches leaving programs to go to another, seeing a lot of assistants getting promoted up.

Yes he had to resign for IPERS, he retired like November 1st so the school is more or less waiting the 6 months before hiring him back.

I think you’ll see a couple more openings, most years there are a few in April and May and some years even in June.

I have no insight on this but as someone noted before, I think because of the winter we have had, schools are behind a little on some things. I think we will see another round of openings here in the next few weeks, as April is usually a pretty active month. It will be interesting to see and hear who fills some of the open positions that have yet to be determined. North Polk, Madrid, and a few others are some pretty desirable jobs and locations, to name a few to keep an eye on.

Just saw on a retweet that Alburnett is looking for a new coach as that coach is leaving and taking another job of some sort around Dubuque. Alb has gone thru allot of coaches in the last few years.

Dubuque Wahlert head football coach (Travis Zajek) position is open. Former coach took a job at Grundy Center to be closer to his and wife's families. Great opportunity for someone who is innovative and can build on a traditionally strong program that has had a bad year last year due to injuries to key personnel. Most starters will return from an 0-9 team, which went 5-4 the previous two years. Top academic school which also has won 67 team state championships in 56 years (none in football), and has the most football wins of Dubuque schools in that time period (but essentially tied with Hempstead). Football program has produced 23 Division 1 football players, including five who were University of Iowa captains/co-captains their senior year (Riley McCarron- NE Patriots-- most recent).

Last edited:
Success in other sports but not football, they have been thru a lot of coaches in the last 6 -7 years since longtime coach Carver retired.

Breuer came in and turned around a 1-8 program and they went 7-2 in first year, including a pounding of rival North Linn, 46-0. This past season they were ranked pre-season, lost their 2 best players (Division 1- Barnett and stud, Wickman, to injury and still came out 5-4. 12-6 not too shabby for 2 year span (considering the 1-8 year prior). Best of luck to him at Dubuque Senior, where he will be the new DC on Dale Ploessl’s staff!

Where is Zajac from Wahlert headed? Great coach and an even better person!

Northeast (Goose Lake) is open. Always seemed like a decent school system, just never has had much success in football or really in athletics as a whole.

Ft. Madison posted yesterday, don't believe he's been there too long.

South-East Iowa must be a tough area to coach, you don't see coaches stay too long there in Ottumwa, Ft. Madison, Fairfield, and Keokuk always seem to be open every few years

I saw that one and it surprised me, to me from the outside it looked like he was making some really positive changes to that program.

Wow. Is that as surprising to anyone else, as it is to me?
I'm surprised as well but I had heard it from someone in Oelwein so we shall see. That was a quick hire if true because it hasn't been open that long. If im not mistaken I think NFV and Oelwein are in the same district, that should be interesting.

As the calendar has turned to April, it will be interesting to see if anymore jobs come open. Has anyone heard about North Polk and who they hired?

As the calendar has turned to April, it will be interesting to see if anymore jobs come open. Has anyone heard about North Polk and who they hired?
I believe it is an assistant from Urbandale. Heard it from another FB coach. Didn't know the name, so I don't remember it (I know, not much help).

Also, Bob Howard was re-hired at Webster City at their recent board meeting, which I think was just a formality.

These are the jobs that have been open a while that I have heard nothing about.

Montezuma
North Butler
Cherokee
Sibley Ocheyeden
North Mahaska
Hampton Dumont

Sibley-Ocheyedan has been filled by Tate Kellenberger. Played college ball at Northwestern and is a graduate of West Lyon. Comes from a successful program so maybe he can get things turned around for S-O.

Montezuma
North Butler
Cherokee
Sibley Ocheyeden
North Mahaska
Hampton Dumont

Montezuma
North Butler
Cherokee
Sibley Ocheyeden
North Mahaska
Hampton Dumont

I'm pretty sure you can add Alburnett to that list as well. I know they have an AD opening as a guy I know applied and I think is getting an interview.

Clarinda has hired Collin Bevins. From the area (dad was coach there before moving to Chariton / Creston), knows the people, NWMSU star and spent time at NFL camps. Sounds like a good hire but we'll see how it plays out.

Clarinda has hired Collin Bevins. From the area (dad was coach there before moving to Chariton / Creston), knows the people, NWMSU star and spent time at NFL camps. Sounds like a good hire but we'll see how it plays out.
Good for him and good luck to him. It is rare for a football coach to get a head coaching job right out of the gate. Can anybody think of any off the top of their head? I believe Marv Cook's first job was as HC at Regina, but he was also older.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT