ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches that have gone to both states

denverhawkfan

Freshman
Sep 14, 2007
Curious how many coaches have led teams to both girls state and boys state basketball in their career. I'm sure it has happened before but don't know who all has done it. I know Coach Hempen from AP led the North Butler boys to state a few years ago. They ran into Kerwin Dunham and Bondurant-Faraar their first game.

Since Hempen did it- we know it has happened but I would guess that list is pretty short....just not sure how many people would have even coached both boys and girls- seems to me when you are in one you pretty much stay there.

I would think if Hempen had that strong of a program at North Butler I am surprised he would go to the girls side unless it was to coach his daughter- I could see some people doing that.
My list would be how many coaches have played on and coached a state championship team- I will start it off with BJ Mayer- played on championship team at Osage- has coached IC West to state championship.

I would think younger coaches would be more likely to switch from either side, but once a coach has begun to develop his program and they are having success, usually that coach is gonna stick with them or at least with that side (girls or boys), and usually they can't see themselves coaching the other, even though they probably could.

Also, just my own opinion, but I would think it'd be more likely that a boys coach/assistant would move to coach a girls varsity team. Didn't Western see something like that? Not sure of the exact story and maybe I'm wrong but didn't one of the boys' assistants take over the program or at least move to help as an assistant with the girls and that's when they started to turn into a power in their own right?

I believe Trish Martin was an assistant coach at South Sioux City NE when they went 3 years ago. Now she is the head coach at LB.

Got one this year. Dan Martinez of Red Oak. He was boys coach back in the 80s and 90s. First year coaching the girls, I think. Great story for Red Oak - it's their 1st state tourney in 90 years!

That it is Raider- they have really struggled- good for them.

GEtting more names than I thought- Thunder, I think is right- probably more of a situation where an assistant moves over- like Wester had happen

Yes, Bill Harmsen was a varsity assistant and JV coach for Jim Eekhoff and the boys for many years, I think 12 years maybe? He is the second boys assistant to take over the girls program. Craig Stiensma, the current Dordt College womens coach, was a boys assitant for many years before taking over the girls program at Western also.

Spend any amount of time around Jim Eekhoff and you'll learn something about the game.....have never met him personally but have admired him from afar over the years. Yes, he has had talent....but having talent and getting talent to win are two completely different issues. A great coach....have enjoyed watching him coach over the years.

Think Skillet at Bettendorf was girls coach for a while then switched to boys but not sure he ever got to state with girls team. somebody may know for sure.

Gary Richardson. Currently coaching MOC girls...hopefully to a state title also coached at HLP in '88 when their boys went to state.

Pretty sure Former Burlington coach Don Gibbs took the boys ('80's) and the girls sometime in the '90's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT