ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Ihmels to Boise State

It will be interesting to see who JP hires for the next CC/Track coach at ISU. It sounds like he has been out looking for the next coach for several weeks. Before we know it, the CC season will be here, so no doubt their is some urgency to get the right person hired soon.

Whoever is hired, I hope they have an interest in developing a balanced track and field program that can compete in the top tier of the Big 12 Conference rather than mostly focus on distance running. Someone who knows how to recruit and assemble a staff that can cover all of the bases. The challenge will be finding someone who knows the NCAA system and rules well, can recruit good athletes to Iowa and can build a competitive program over the next 3-4 years. In today's world of combining mens and women's programs and usually finding coaches that tend to specialize in one area or another, it's getting harder to find balanced programs that can compete at a high level year in and year out. When it happens, you tend to see the same schools at the top. Still going to be a tough sell as a Northern school in that conference.

I just don't understand why they don't hit Iowa Central harder with recruiting I know they have a couple kids but its hard to believe how many former Ia.Central kids where running at the D1 nationals.Kids running for Ark,Miss St.,Witchta St. and Iowa all went to Iowa Central and that is just Men.I'm sure there was Women too.

With limited scholarships, it's tough for any school (ex - Texas, Arkansas, LSU, Florida........all schools in the South) to not specialize. A distance focus serves two purposes. Cross-Country and Track with their scholarships overlapping. Heck, even power houses in Stanford and Oregon have their own focus areas.

You are right, Iowa St definitely focused on distance runners and even to a certain extent on their throwers......and they did it well. Track is unique in that it only takes 2-3 high level athletes to have your team in the top 20 in the nation at the National T&F Meet.

Then again, it's all about what you want your program to be.

I would agree with one of the comments in questioning why Iowa St hasn't recruited any of the Iowa Central athletes. In such as short amount of time, they have had some incredible success.

Originally posted by On Wings of Eagles:

Whoever is hired, I hope they have an interest in developing a balanced track and field program that can compete in the top tier of the Big 12 Conference rather than mostly focus on distance running. Someone who knows how to recruit and assemble a staff that can cover all of the bases. The challenge will be finding someone who knows the NCAA system and rules well, can recruit good athletes to Iowa and can build a competitive program over the next 3-4 years. In today's world of combining mens and women's programs and usually finding coaches that tend to specialize in one area or another, it's getting harder to find balanced programs that can compete at a high level year in and year out. When it happens, you tend to see the same schools at the top. Still going to be a tough sell as a Northern school in that conference.

Some of those Iowa Central athletes can't get through the NCAA Clearing House due to grades/ACT/SAT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT