ADVERTISEMENT

Clear Creek Amana

Nov 23, 2010
What do yall know about this job? From Texas, been an AD and Head Football Coach, fiancee is from Iowa, might be looking to get up there? Any info would help...Thanks

Right now, no teaching. Just a stipend position and not like in Texas. With the weather the last 3 days, stay in warm Texas.

New school, new turf field, great location outside Iowa City. Big potential.

This post was edited on 1/24 8:40 AM by rocket2004

Tradition has been an issue in football, they struggle to compete yet have a very good location to attract kids. They do have athletes, just not enough kids seem to go out. Might want to watch the "Texas Tantrums" if ya'll know what I mean...

Clear Creek Amana football coach Rodney Walls resigned Tuesday over a dispute with the school's administration apparently triggered by an investigation into some allegedly off-color language directed at a football player in a September game. Walls said the last straw came when he was "banned" from the school while the investigation took place.

"When you get banned, it's like, 'What?' I grew up there," Walls said. "I've given them about 18 years there as a coach, seven as a head coach. It's hard when the superintendent, you know they don't have the long-term commitment there or the principal. I'm sorry, my roots are there, I'm blue and white."

Walls said that a parent of a player complained to the district superintendent Nov. 1 about an incident that occurred during the Sept. 21 game against Fort Madison. He resigned Tuesday during a meeting with the superintendent and principal.

"I've got great kids and stuff, but I need to resign," Walls said.

"You know I work on football 12 months a year. I'm constantly doing stuff. I'll land on my feet somewhere. The last two years have just been very grueling.

"When I sat there yesterday with the superintendent, and the principal's there and the (athletic director's) not there, I said, 'Well, where's my boss at?' I said 'I'm not going to get into this finger pointing.'"

He conceded that he may have used off-color language during the season but did not think it was all that unusual in the emotional, rough-and-tumble setting that is high school football

Good facilities, the school board has influenced (by their actions) some to move\open enroll elsewhere.

Originally posted by meandmyshadow:

Tradition has been an issue in football, they struggle to compete yet have a very good location to attract kids.

Anybody else take issue with this statement? Is this what it's all come down to? Building programs that can "attract" kids. Can't win with homegrown talent anymore can we...

Originally posted by RoundMound1:

Tradition has been an issue in football, they struggle to compete yet have a very good location to attract kids.

Anybody else take issue with this statement? Is this what it's all come down to? Building programs that can "attract" kids. Can't win with homegrown talent anymore can we...
No. I don't have an issue with that statement.

This post was edited on 1/24 5:48 PM by donutgems23

Originally posted by RoundMound1:

You might take issue with the statement and that is just fine. You cannot however deny that it happens, when something is successful it can attract talent, when you add in facilities with success...

Attracting kids from ICCSD is not a jaw dropper, with the ever changing boundaries and now shifting of "lunchables" folks are looking at neighboring communities (hence the "attraction" or "what can school "X" do for my kid").

I will be surprised if Chuck Evans did not apply for this. He is from the Iowa City I believe. I also am hearing that he has several problems starting with parents and administrators in Centerville. I have friends that have kids at Regina and they were saying that he was shown the door in order for Marv Cook to step in a couple years ago. There were assistants at Regina that left because they did not believe in him as a head coach.

I don't know if Chuck is originally from Iowa City and I wasn't around when Marv came in but from the reports that I heard Chuck took the Iowa basketball opportunity and it was the bypassing of the assistant coaches that caused the controversy. Caused some big issues with some Regina parents who now seem to be pretty big supporters of Marv and his staff. Strange how winning can do that to people.

CCA has more than enough talent! Bottom line; the kids did not want to play for the coach that was just let go! Which that guy should not see another sideline again!!

Originally posted by Duke1983:
CCA has more than enough talent! Bottom line; the kids did not want to play for the coach that was just let go! Which that guy should not see another sideline again!!
not see another sideline? WOW.

Granted I don't know anything specific but that seems harsh. Lots of coaches have maybe had less than stellar experiences at one school and then has a good experience somewhere else

That has been an issue at the school forever. Don't know what the answer is, they haven't had a coach they want to play for in most sports and the one the did enjoy playing for is now at Solon. Don't know all the details but the problem runs deeper than just the coaching.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
That has been an issue at the school forever. Don't know what the answer is, they haven't had a coach they want to play for in most sports and the one the did enjoy playing for is now at Solon. Don't know all the details but the problem runs deeper than just the coaching.
Agreed.

Yes, Solon got one heck of a coach from CCA. I am not sure how many players\parents will follow.

I believe two players already, the impact from the coach should be pretty quick in arriving.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:

I believe two players already, the impact from the coach should be pretty quick in arriving.
for those of us (me) without an idea... what coach?

The Softball coach Jim White who while at CCA had 6 state titles and almost 850 wins

CCA is a good district with a lot of good people. We moved to the district about 10 years ago and only a few varsity sports were successful. Softball and basketball were the two. Until the football program got a coach who stayed more than a year they weren't very competitive. Coach Walls coached like the old boys and worked the kids hard. He had a unique sideline and practice technique but results were very good. The kids will play hard for whomever the new coach will be and CCA will be successful again. The facilities are there and the location is very good. It is a great place to live and work. Coach Walls bled blue and will continue to be a good community member. Good luck in your search.

The CCA position has alot to offer.....good location and great facilities. I"m sure they are getting some good resumes.

Originally posted by Duke1983:
The pussification of America continues. Sorry to hear your son didn't like getting yelled at.
rolleyes.r191677.gif

ICU, it goes a lot deeper than that! And it wasn't my kid.

Great community that has a lot to offer in ever sport with the leaders.
Jim White will be sorely missed!

I still say Chuck Evans would be a great fit at Clear Creek Amana. At Centerville, the community strokes his ego so he loves that. At CCA, they probably would not do that. He has a very inexperience staff at Centerville. He could get quality assistants at CCA. He needs to start worrying about winning games. The previous coach at Centerville, which I believe was Coach Knott did an excellent job. He also had a great staff and let his coaches coach.

(I never really post on here and dont want to take the time to figure out how to do the quote box)
"CCA has more than enough talent! Bottom line; the kids did not want to play for the coach that was just let go! Which that guy should not see another sideline again!!" -Duke1983

As someone who played for Coach Walls for three years, helped out with the summer workout programs and camps at Clear Creek Amana every summer since I graduated. Coach Walls was by far the best head coach for a boys athletic program at CCA, majority of anyone who played for him will say the exact same thing. The kids who "did not want to play" for Coach Walls were the ones that didn't want to work hard, having played for him and serving as a captain on teams he coached (losing and playoff ones) thats all he asks of you is to work hard because "effort overcomes mistakes". Coach Walls also was not as you put it "let go" he resigned because of that situation with the player getting pulled out and he was fed up with having this issue as well as feeling like he didnt have support form administration... I can promise you that college coaches and even other coaches around the state come down on an athlete a lot harder than Coach Walls ever did, the parents at CCA for the boys athletics like to baby their kids, "oh no little Johnny got yelled at! that coach needs to be punished for that!" The parents of CCA is the biggest issue and why the last few teams have been soft. A coach that sits and lets mistakes go on without fixing them will just be continuing CCA's history in football.. awful. Coach Walls would get on you if you were making mistakes like any other coach would, yell at you a little bit but also explain what you need to do execute what you had done wrong correctly. When Coach Walls resigned many current players as well as some of last years seniors contacted me fairly upset with him leaving because as majority of them put it "We are gonna go back to sucking with out him" to me that sounds like the kids wanted to play for him as well as the staff that Coach Walls had at CCA which for the most part is gone too now. To this day out of all the coaches i've had in all high school sports as well as college football. Coach Walls and his staff are the best coaches i've had because of that old school approach he has and when looking back you know what he was doing was for the kids to be successful.. CCA really dropped the ball on letting Coach Walls walk away

This post was edited on 2/2 8:14 PM by lobro26

They could always OE to a neighboring 3A...
wink.r191677.gif

I met Coach Walls at one of our state championship games, great guy thanked me for congratulating him on his award and was very pesonable to me and my family. Had nothing but high praise for our program and its fans. I agree that more coaches are "old school" on kids and it is needed at times. I have heard many a coach let loose with profanity\etc during halftime and or after a game.

Walls is not alone in the "old school" approach.

This job seems like a great job on the surface: great facilities, GREAT location, growing community, good athletes in the building, ect. But what is going on that causes 2 head coaches to leave the district? One because of "profanity"? I am not that old but I followed my dad to practices when I was little, so I have been around the practice field/side line for 22 years and in that time I have met maybe 5 coaches that I never here use a swear word. I am sure there is "more to the story", but the fact that they would suspend the coach while investigating a "profanity" issue, I think would make any coach uneasy about this situation.

Kids are very rarely the problem. Unless your a total ass or tool it's not hard to get kids to play for you. Typically the problem comes from the parents and/or the administration. Sounds like neither one of those two are favorable for CCA. It's too bad a very attractive job for sure!! And with no teaching positions maybe a guy like Chuck Evans would be a good hire for them. But I have a suspicion that CCA would like to hire someone a little "less old school".

I am with you on Chuck Evans. He would be a good fit and I think he would get the parents and administrators to follow. I have friends that live there and they would be excited if Coach Evans were to coach there. I just don't think he has talent to win in Centerville. His coaching staff now is very inexperienced. The "Good" assistant coaches got out because of some kind of conflict. Their 2012 defensive coordinator is very old school. This is 2013, not 1930.

I just don't think the coaches believed in what he was doing. Practices were not very organized and he did not believe in much game planning or staff meetings to prepare. That is what I have heard from area coaches. They said that the three coaches that resigned were die hard and very organized with game plans and etc. One of them use to run the weight program there. I don't know if he still is or not. I heard he was good at what he was doing.

So he lost his assistant coaches because he was not organized or had any game plan. That could be a reason they did not have a good season. Not sure why he would be good fit at CCA.

Was kind of wondering the same thing if that was what happened then I don't get why he'd be a good fit

I think he would be a fit because he CCA has talent. Plus, he would be closer to Iowa City, where his wife still lives.

Originally posted by Murray06:

I think he would be a fit because he CCA has talent. Plus, he would be closer to Iowa City, where his wife still lives.
Neither of those things means he'd be a fit, IMO.

CCA has talent? Good for them, that's great. What does that have to do with him?

The wife lives in Iowa City, okay, that makes some sense but again, that doesn't tell me why he'd be a fit with a school. If I'm a school I'm looking for someone who fits what I want in a coach, not hiring a guy because he has family in the area. Though I know that happens

I believe Mt.Vernon forced Bellamy out due to his "old school" mentality - interesting thing is they were more successful under Bellamy and his "old school" ways then who is there now.

I would be suprised if they don't open a teaching position to get someone in - normally at public schools that is how the school districts work, hire a teacher as a coach or a coach to be a teacher. I would love to see a young guy from CR Jefferson take over at CCA...

Bellamy wasn't forced out at Mt. Vernon, you aren't going to force out someone with over 300 wins, he left on his own terms.

Chuck Evans does not teach. He subs I think and coaches. I have heard that there are a lot of community members that want him out of Centerville. They cannot stand his egotistical personality.

Originally posted by Murray06:

Chuck Evans does not teach. He subs I think and coaches. I have heard that there are a lot of community members that want him out of Centerville. They cannot stand his egotistical personality.
Again... why then would he be a good fit?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT