ADVERTISEMENT

Class A

Looking at the eastern side of the state would you assume (I know, lot of assumptions here)...
Note: I'm assuming South Winn beats North Tama this week and Wapsie beats Nashua next week. Don't know about the Nashua/North Butler game this week.

D4 East Buc, North Linn, Maq Valley, Starmont, in pretty much any order.
  • East Buc in best position to get #1 because they have no remaining challenges and thus likely the highest point spread and the head-to-head win against North Linn.
  • Starmont would have to win the next two games to take over the #1. MV would be 4. (If North Linn loses Starmont has tie breaker over East Buc; if North Linn wins, there would be a 3-way tie and Starmont wins on reverse alphabetical tie-breaker)
  • If Maq Valley wins out they would get second place as East Buc has head-to-head against them. And North Linn would get 3rd and Starmont 4th (due to head-to-head tie-breaker).
  • Personally, I think Maq Valley will beat Starmont. So the biggest game in my eyes is this week's North Linn/Maq Valley game.
D2: #1 Saint Ansgar vs D3: #4 South Winn (or Nashua if they lose to North Butler)
D3: #1 WV vs D2: #4 MC Newman
D4: #1 ?? vs D5: #4 Danville
D5: #1 Lisbon vs D4: #4 ???

D2: #2 West Hancock D3: #3 Nashua or North Butler or South Winn (depending on Nashua/North Butler game)
D3: #2 Nashua (or North Butler if they beat Nashua) vs D2: #3 Lake Mills
D4: #2 ?? vs D5: #3 Pekin
D5: #2 Columbus vs D4: #3 ???
I think your pretty accurate explaining D4, yes huge game this week with MV and North Linn but just as big is Starmont at Bellevue, I would not be shocked to see Bellevue win this as they put up some big passing stats. East Buc right now just sitting back and watching all the others beat each other up since they already played them early in the year. Still trying to figure out that Starmont loss they had as their only other loss was in overtime to now 3rd ranked 1A Sumner Fred. I would put any amount of $ that when pods are done ST Ansger and West Hancock are split up east and west.

Reactions: Zowwy21
I think your pretty accurate explaining D4, yes huge game this week with MV and North Linn but just as big is Starmont at Bellevue, I would not be shocked to see Bellevue win this as they put up some big passing stats. East Buc right now just sitting back and watching all the others beat each other up since they already played them early in the year. Still trying to figure out that Starmont loss they had as their only other loss was in overtime to now 3rd ranked 1A Sumner Fred. I would put any amount of $ that when pods are done ST Ansger and West Hancock are split up east and west.
Agree, that Starmont win, in the manner in which it was done, is a bit interesting. I know Bowers was out for EB which is a big part of their offense (runner and blocker) and defense, and I believe Fox was still recovering from offseason injury. I would probably be the most nervous to play them of that group, despite their loss to Starmont. You are right, will be clarifying to see how they fair against Bellevue.

Big games this week both district and non district.

ACDC 6-0 at Mount Ayr 3-3 Mount Ayr played Madrid to a 1 point game and close loss to Lynville Sully
North Linn 5-1 at Maq Valley 5-1 This game in D4 is battle to stay in title hunt and playoff host.
Lake Mills 6-0 at West Hancock 5-1 We shall see if Lake mills is for real
North Butler 5-1 at Nashua 4-2 This is the fight to be runner up to Wapsie a must win for Nashua
South Winn 3-3 at North Tama The winner stays alive the loser probably sitting at home.
Starmont 5-1 at Bellevue 3-3 Another big game in D4, this game could decide the last playoff spot with a win as both finish with tough games to end the year.

D1

Akron West
MMCRU
Alta- Aurelia
Gehlen Catholic
Pretty sure top 2 are set

D2
ST Ansger
West Hanckock
Lake Mills
North Union

This district is all but settled assuming SA beats Lake Mills next week

D3
Wapsie
Nashua
North Butler
South Winn

This district is now more unpredictable then D4 with Nashua beating North Butler last night. If wapsie beats Nashua next week and others hold their spots I think you can see a 3 way tie for 2nd so assuming they beat each other it will come down to the point system

D4
East Buc
Starmont
Maq Valley
North Linn

This district got a lot more cleat after last night, so currently 3 way tie at top with East Buc, Maq Valley and Starmont. Since Maq Valley and Starmont play this week should be pretty easy to figure. If Starmont wins they win district with EB second and MV third and winner of Bellevue / North Linn 4th. If Maq Valley wins and assuming EB beats Postville then EB wins district, MV, second, and if NL beats Bellevue then they would be 3rd and Starmont drops to 4th

D5
Lisbon
Columbus
Pekin
Danville
This district I think is pretty settled barring any major upsets

D6
Madrid
Lynville
Central Decat
Mount Ayr

D7
ACGC
SCC
Earlham
Panorama
I think the top 3 are secure in order not sure about the 4th

D8
Woodbury
Lo Mag
Kingsley Peirsen
Tri Center
I think this district is decided

D1
Akron-Westfield
MMCRU
Gehlen Catholic
Sibley-Ocheyedan

D2
St. Ansgar
Britt
Lake Mills
North Union

D3
Wapsie Valley
Nashua-Plainfield
North Butler
South Winn

D4
Starmont
East Buc
Maq Valley
North Linn

D5
Lisbon
Columbus Junction
Pekin
Danville

D6
Madrid
Central Decatur
Lynnville-Sully
Mount Ayr

D7
AcGc
Southern Cal
Panorama
Earlham

D8
Woodbury Central
Logan-Magnolia
Tri-Center
Kingsley-Pierson

Prediction of top 4 in each district, also I believe it will be D1vsD8 D2vsD3 D4vsD5 D6vsD7 for First Round Matchups

This is my best guess for playoff matchups

AW vs KP/RV

STA vs North Butler

Wapsie vs Earlham

East Buc vs Danville

Lisbon vs Starmont

Madrid vs North Union

AC/GC vs Mount Ayr

Woodbury Central vs Sibley O

MMC-RU vs Tri Center

West Hancock vs South Winn

NP vs Lake Mills

Maq Valley vs Pekin

Columbus vs North LInn

Lynnville Sully vs Panorama

SCC vs Gehlen

LoMa vs Central Decatur

For both the 1v4 and 2v3 groups there has to be at least one crazy travel, no way around it.

Then just for fun, I picked all of those games, and these are the pairings I came up with, using geography and the state rankings.

Pod 1
Saint Ansgar vs Starmont
Wapsie Valley vs North Linn

Pod 2
West Hancock vs Maquoketa Valley
East Buc vs Lynnville Sully

Pod 3
Madrid vs Nashua Plainfield
AC/GC vs Tri Center

Pod 4
Woodbury Central vs SCC
Akron Westfield vs LoMa

Then just for fun, I picked all of those games, and these are the pairings I came up with, using geography and the state rankings.

Pod 1
Saint Ansgar vs Starmont

Pod 2

Pod 3
AC/GC vs Tri Center

Pod 4
Woodbury Central vs SCC
Akron Westfield vs LoMa
So your saying District 4s # 3 and 4 are going to beat district 5s #1 and 2 ? Still a lot at stake for standings especially in D3 and D4 in this weeks games. Could be a 3 way tie in D3 for 2nd if wapsie beats Nashua then it comes down to points. Also if Starmont beats Maq Valley they will win the district with EB 2nd and MV 3rd but if they lose they drop all the way to 4th where you have them. I think one of the top 2 survive in D5 Lisbon or Columbus. Who do you think is the best team outside the top 4 of ST A, WH, Madrid and Woodbury ?

Last edited:
So you’re saying District 4s # 3 and 4 are going to beat district 5s #1 and 2 ? Still a lot at stake for standings especially in D3 and D4 in this weeks games. Could be a 3 way tie in D3 for 2nd if wapsie beats Nashua then it comes down to points. Also if Starmont beats Maq Valley they will win the district with EB 2nd and MV 3rd but if they lose they drop all the way to 4th where you have them. I think one of the top 2 survive in D5 Lisbon or Columbus. Who do you think is the best team outside the top 4 of ST A, WH, Madrid and Woodbury ?
Neither south winn or north butler can catch up in points to Nashua

Neither south winn or north butler can catch up in points to Nashua
Yea I see that now, But after the points then its nashua then it would come down to head to head between NB and SW AND DIDNT nb WIN THAT. I dont think you will see just straight sister district matchups I think you will see them split it up a little.

It used to be points for a 3 way tie then back to head to head, but I think they switched it to straight points a few years ago.

I do think that the district 4 #4 can beat Lisbon and the District 4 #3 can beat Columbus. Starmont is either going to be #1 or #4 which is crazy to me, but that is why I think they could beat Lisbon.

I think the next teams after the 4 you mentioned are, East Buc (if they have their entire team), Wapsie, AC/GC and Lynnville Sully especially if they get their stud back. I was going more off of the state rankings though.

It used to be points for a 3 way tie then back to head to head, but I think they switched it to straight points a few years ago.

I do think that the district 4 #4 can beat Lisbon and the District 4 #3 can beat Columbus. Starmont is either going to be #1 or #4 which is crazy to me, but that is why I think they could beat Lisbon.

I think the next teams after the 4 you mentioned are, East Buc (if they have their entire team), Wapsie, AC/GC and Lynnville Sully especially if they get their stud back. I was going more off of the state rankings though.
I'm pretty sure in a 3 way tie it goes to points so in this case Nashua over North Butler and South Winn then when its down to 2 teams like this its head to head so in this case North Butler beat SW. In D4 I think MV is on a roll since getting beat by 20 from East Buc that they will beat Starmont.

1 Wapsie
2 NP
3 NB
4 SW

I'm pretty sure in a 3 way tie it goes to points so in this case Nashua over North Butler and South Winn then when its down to 2 teams like this its head to head so in this case North Butler beat SW. In D4 I think MV is on a roll since getting beat by 20 from East Buc that they will beat Starmont.

1 Wapsie
2 NP
3 NB
4 SW
It is how PNation said it doesn’t go back to head to head its off points but even with points I believe north butler will finish ahead of south winn with who they both finish with and are currently in points

Explain to me why Madrid is getting so much love. They have 2 1-point victories over 3-4 teams, and a 7-point victory over a 4-3 team. They are undefeated, so I would say top 10, but they are obviously not dominate. I think BCMoore is more accurate, #8ish.

Anyone know anything about Titus Evans from Nashua? I see he didn't play vs North Butler not sure if he was hurt or out for other reasons. My heart goes out to their community as I know they experienced a suicide in that community, so maybe it is related to that? Anyone have any insight?

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Explain to me why Madrid is getting so much love. They have 2 1-point victories over 3-4 teams, and a 7-point victory over a 4-3 team. They are undefeated, so I would say top 10, but they are obviously not dominate. I think BCMoore is more accurate, #8ish.
Personally I think it is a case of people wanting Madrid to be good, they were so dominate for so long, it is almost like a sense of normal.

I know that might sound a little crazy.

The same reason they have Lisbon so high because they are undefeated so they must be good. Nobody looks to see who they beat and how good those teams are just the overall record.

If that state wants a story, we could see a potential AC/GC-Madrid match up in the Quarterfinals. Former Madrid Alum the & teammate of Brock Hinkel is the HC at AC/GC. That will only be if the state Pods them up together.

True. What makes it more interesting is the dad of the HC at ACGC coached with Randy Hinkel at Madrid for like two decades or more. He has been on the ACGC staff since the new coach took over.
If that state wants a story, we could see a potential AC/GC-Madrid match up in the Quarterfinals. Former Madrid Alum the & teammate of Brock Hinkel is the HC at AC/GC. That will only be if the state Pods them up together.

Anyone have any thoughts on important games that may be impacted by wet weather tomorrow night? Presumably favored pass heavy teams that the rain could impact.

I think I have this calculated correct (someone check me) ... in D3, if Wapsie beats Nashua, Wapsie clinches, but if North Butler AND SW both win there is a 3 way tie for 2nd. Nashua is way ahead on points, so Nashua gets 2. If SW beats BCLUW by 6 or more points than what North Butler beats AGWSR, SW would get third and North Butler fourth, otherwise North Butler gets 3rd and South Winn 4th. Weather could have impact on that spread.

Anyone have any thoughts on important games that may be impacted by wet weather tomorrow night? Presumably favored pass heavy teams that the rain could impact.
While not historically pass heavy or really even this year. St. Ansgar showed in the early games their willingness to pass the ball and did so fairly successfully. This forced west hancock to respect the pass game and from putting 9 defenders in the box to stop the power run game thereby opening it up some. With the wet weather I doubt st ansgar airs it out much and Lake Mills will be able to stack the box in hopes it will slow down the run.

If lake mills wins, its a three way tie for 1st in the district so both teams will be fired up. I forsee st ansgar winning comfortably, but with the rain, who knows. Stranger things have happened.

I think I have this calculated correct (someone check me) ... in D3, if Wapsie beats Nashua, Wapsie clinches, but if North Butler AND SW both win there is a 3 way tie for 2nd. Nashua is way ahead on points, so Nashua gets 2. If SW beats BCLUW by 6 or more points than what North Butler beats AGWSR, SW would get third and North Butler fourth, otherwise North Butler gets 3rd and South Winn 4th. Weather could have impact on that spread.
South winn -7
North butler -1
As of right now so looks right

So have South Winn at +10 now, which means North butler needs to win by 11 or more to be 3rd if it ends up being a 3 way tie for 2nd in D3

So have South Winn at +10 now, which means North butler needs to win by 11 or more to be 3rd if it ends up being a 3 way tie for 2nd in D3
Technically they would need to win by 12 right? Because if they win by 11, they would be tied and then it goes reverse alpha order (this year) which would give South Winn the tie-breaker. Let's just call it two TDs either way :) Yeah, kind of forgot about the impact the cap of 17 would have. North Butler is currently favored by 9 points in BCMoore. (Side note: BCMoore nailed the point spread between SW and BCLUW at 34.) Not to mention anything can happen in sloppy weather, so Wapsie over Nashua is no sure thing either. IASportz predicted the Nashua upset.

Technically they would need to win by 12 right? Because if they win by 11, they would be tied and then it goes reverse alpha order (this year) which would give South Winn the tie-breaker. Let's just call it two TDs either way :) Yeah, kind of forgot about the impact the cap of 17 would have. North Butler is currently favored by 9 points in BCMoore. (Side note: BCMoore nailed the point spread between SW and BCLUW at 34.) Not to mention anything can happen in sloppy weather, so Wapsie over Nashua is no sure thing either. IASportz predicted the Nashua upset.
Nope 11, to my understanding it would revert back to head to head competition if it was a tie with points then alphabetical. So you would only see the alphabetical come into play when it’s a 3 way tie or the two teams tied haven’t played each other for some reason.
IASportz 😂 lol don’t make me laugh. Look at their rankings says all it needs to about their class A knowledge.

Nope 11, to my understanding it would revert back to head to head competition if it was a tie with points then alphabetical. So you would only see the alphabetical come into play when it’s a 3 way tie or the two teams tied haven’t played each other for some reason.
IASportz 😂 lol don’t make me laugh. Look at their rankings says all it needs to about their class A knowledge.
Ahh. You are correct. I missed that nuance. Best of luck tonight all!

St ansgar up 19-6 on lake mills at start of the 4th. St ansgar had some drive killing penalties. Lake Mills had a fumble that led to 6 for St ansgar.

Saw a tweet from a news reporter that Noun Harder returned to the lineup tonight for Lynnville but said he was re injured. Anyone know the severity?

• Wow

Pod 1
Saint Ansgar vs Starmont

Pod 2

Pod 3
AC/GC vs Tri Center

Pod 4
Woodbury Central vs SCC
Akron Westfield vs LoMa
I dont think your #2 pod can work unless your saying all those teams beat a 1. Yes West hancock is ranked in top 3 but they are still a district runner up so they would have to face a district champion as those are 3 number 2s and 1 number 3 in same pod.

I have the district 4 #4 beating Lisbon that is the only way my second round predictions work. But you are correct about West Hancock having to play a one if that doesn’t happen.

I have the district 4 #4 beating Lisbon that is the only way my second round predictions work. But you are correct about West Hancock having to play a one if that doesn’t happen.
The big question is since West Hancock cant be a 1 to start off with and seeds hold true what pod do you put them in because they would face a 1 and another #1 would also be there, thats going to be a tough pod either way.

So St. Ansgar was rewarded with a very favorable match-up in a 2-6 school 2 hours 40 minutes away in Sibley-Ocheyedan. West Hancock has Gehelen Catholic nearly the same distance. I didn't feel like spending the time researching distances for all the matchups but are there any teams traveling further than this?

So St. Ansgar was rewarded with a very favorable match-up in a 2-6 school 2 hours 40 minutes away in Sibley-Ocheyedan. West Hancock has Gehelen Catholic nearly the same distance. I didn't feel like spending the time researching distances for all the matchups but are there any teams traveling further than this?
North Union is driving 2 hours and 32 minutes to Moville to play Woodbury. I think that's the reason for Sibley going to St. Ansgar because North Union is in St. Ansgar district and they wanted to avoid district rematches. They had to take Mt. Ayr to ACGC which is why I think Sibley had to go east instead of going to Woodbury. It then brought Tri Center to Akron and IKM to Madrid. That's what I think the thought process was with the 1v4 teams in the west to avoid any district rematches.

DISCLAIMER: We are WH homers but Jay and Kevin watch Class A football very closely and know their stuff. We try to keep it very unbiased.
Enjoy!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT