ADVERTISEMENT

Class A

Week 4 in the books. Thoughts?
No. 1 LS falls (without starting RB)
No. 4 East Buch gets shut out by Starmont
No. 6 Madrid defeats #1 LS
No. 7 SCC falls vs AC/GC

Is Madrid back? They defeated ranked Mt. Ayr in OT and scored in the last seconds to send it to OT. Mt. Ayr falls to Central Decatur at home 31-14. What does that do to Madrid's resume?
East Buch vs Starmont score was a surprise?
ACGC with a solid win being a 10 pt underdog, according to BCMoore.

Week 5
Madrid and Earlham square off in non-district play. Earlham's only loss is a 28-14 loss to ACGC in week 2.
East Buch & North Linn
Lisbon & Pekin with Pekin coming off a 56-24 loss to Columbus

Here is what I have for a top 10

1. Saint Ansgar- Most impressive resume so far
2. Woodbury Central- They have taken care of business and appear to be headed towards the dome again
3. North Linn- I still think they have the biggest district game this week, but they have looked impressive so far.
4. Madrid- They have done what they have needed to do so far
5. West Hancock- They bounced back this week, I still think they could win state
6. AC/GC- Impressive win against SCC, will a top team be able to stop the run though?
7. Lisbon- They will be the district champs, district 5 is weak outside of Lisbon and Columbus
8. Nashua Plainfield- After a tight one against North Tama they have looked more complete the last two weeks, this week will tell us a lot about them.
9. Lynnville Sully- How will the finish the regular season without their stud? When does he come back?
T10. Wapsie Valley- Zero style points, but I see them being a tough out, and fundamentally strong
T10. Earlham- They have put together a nice resume so far, but still have some tough games ahead.

Best games
Madrid vs Earlham
Saint Ansgar vs Nashua Plainfield
-Both of these are non district but I think both are top 10 caliber games

East Buc vs North Linn- This district could turn into a jumbled up mess with an East Buc win
North Tama vs Wapsie- North Tama seemed to figure some things out after week 1, this will be a good test to see how much they figured out
Gehlen vs Akron Westfield- I can't figure out district 1, but this seems like a game that could help start the sorting out process.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Agree with 4 of your top 5. I'm not sold on Madrid being so high, based on some close wins over teams that thus far haven't been as competitive (Woodward Granger and Mount Ayr). Obviously, a big win over Lynnville, but not sure what to think of them without RB. Maybe Madrid 8 and slide the rest up.

And not sold on Nashua in top 10. 3 of their wins are against Postville, BCLUW and AGWSR, so of course they are going to rack up stats - and maybe they had a bad week against North Tama, but 2-point win is not convincing.

Most interested in Earlham/Madrid game. Don't know what to expect.
Saint Ansgar big
East Buc does get Bowers (although surely someone else must have been hindered) back but after Starmont game teams will have the blueprint to beat them - I'm going with North Linn
North Tama will be an interesting test for WV. North Tama passes a lot and WV has a very good pass rush and secondary. I still like WV by 3 scores.

Agree with 4 of your top 5. I'm not sold on Madrid being so high, based on some close wins over teams that thus far haven't been as competitive (Woodward Granger and Mount Ayr). Obviously, a big win over Lynnville, but not sure what to think of them without RB. Maybe Madrid 8 and slide the rest up.

And not sold on Nashua in top 10. 3 of their wins are against Postville, BCLUW and AGWSR, so of course they are going to rack up stats - and maybe they had a bad week against North Tama, but 2-point win is not convincing.

Most interested in Earlham/Madrid game. Don't know what to expect.
Saint Ansgar big
East Buc does get Bowers (although surely someone else must have been hindered) back but after Starmont game teams will have the blueprint to beat them - I'm going with North Linn
North Tama will be an interesting test for WV. North Tama passes a lot and WV has a very good pass rush and secondary. I still like WV by 3 scores.
I talked to an LS fan after the game and they said even with their good RB, there was a chance that they could maybe had a game with Madrid. I guess Madrid has a heck of an all-around athlete.

Last edited:
I know it is early but curious on thoughts on District finishes, so we can start to think about potential first round matchups :)

A1 (most difficult to predict): Akron Westfield, MMCRU, Sibley-Ocheyandan, Gehlen Catholic
A2: Saint Ansgar, West Hancock, Lake Mills, North Union (possibly Newman)
A3: Wapsie, Nashua, North Butler, North Tama
A4: North Linn, Starmont, East Buc, Maq Valley
A5: Lisbon, Columbus, Pekin, Danville?
A6: Madrid, Lynnville-Sully, Central Decatur, Mt Ayr
A7: ACGC, South Central Calhoun, Earlham, IKM-Manning
A8: Woodbury Central, Logan-Magnolia, Kingsley-Pierson, Tri-Center

1 and 8 are my neck of the woods (kinda with 8, Lo-Ma and Tri-C are a good haul)

1 in my opinion comes down to AW vs MMCRU next week. Both fairly similar athletically.

8: WC - LoMa - Tri-C - KP is my prediction.

Reactions: Zowwy21
I know it is early but curious on thoughts on District finishes, so we can start to think about potential first round matchups :)

A1 (most difficult to predict): Akron Westfield, MMCRU, Sibley-Ocheyandan, Gehlen Catholic
A2: Saint Ansgar, West Hancock, Lake Mills, North Union (possibly Newman)
A3: Wapsie, Nashua, North Butler, North Tama
A4: North Linn, Starmont, East Buc, Maq Valley
A5: Lisbon, Columbus, Pekin, Danville?
A6: Madrid, Lynnville-Sully, Central Decatur, Mt Ayr
A7: ACGC, South Central Calhoun, Earlham, IKM-Manning
A8: Woodbury Central, Logan-Magnolia, Kingsley-Pierson, Tri-Center
Districts seem to be really top heavy then huge drop off with most 3s and 4s. Big week this week as Nashua plays St Ansger in a non district game .Also looking at D4 North Linn plays East Buck this week then finishes with Bellevue and Maq Valley the last 2 weeks. It looks like Starmont, Bellevue, Maq Valley and North Linn all play each other the last 3 weeks so that district could change allot as far as standings. Still think the weakest district in D3 but that could change my mind depending on that Nashua St Ansger game.

The best of D3, probably WV, is not yet a top 5 team but there is a fair amount of parity in the top 5 teams. Only BCLUW and AGWSR are sure wins. Starmont, probably #2 in their D2 barely beat SW, likely #5 in D3.

The best of D3, probably WV, is not yet a top 5 team but there is a fair amount of parity in the top 5 teams. Only BCLUW and AGWSR are sure wins. Starmont, probably #2 in their D2 barely beat SW, likely #5 in D3.
I don't know if I would even call AGWSR a sure win, they have a talented running back, I don't think they can beat Wapsie, but I don't think it would be impossible for them to beat South Winn or North Butler.

Ill make a bold prediction, if D2 and D3 match up in postseason that the # 3 in D3 will beat the #2 in D2 whoever that may be from each district but obviously Wapsie and Nashua are going to be the top two either way and D3 its still a tossup but the only teams really eliminated is Postville, Clayton Ridge and North Cedar.

You've got your district numbers mixed up, 2 is Saint and West Hancock, 3 is Wapsie and NP, and 4 is North Linn, East Buc, etc

You've got your district numbers mixed up, 2 is Saint and West Hancock, 3 is Wapsie and NP, and 4 is North Linn, East Buc, etc
Yes my fingers got in the way, I meant the #3 team out of D4 will beat the #2 in D3 either Wapsie or Nashua.

Districts seem to be really top heavy then huge drop off with most 3s and 4s. Big week this week as Nashua plays St Ansger in a non district game .Also looking at D4 North Linn plays East Buck this week then finishes with Bellevue and Maq Valley the last 2 weeks. It looks like Starmont, Bellevue, Maq Valley and North Linn all play each other the last 3 weeks so that district could change allot as far as standings. Still think the weakest district in D3 but that could change my mind depending on that Nashua St Ansger game.
You obviously have a problem with district 3 this season or are a poor evaluator because it is by far not the worst district no matter how you want to spin it, by the eye test or the computer lol. Very curious how you would rate the districts in order?

Not going to lie, a healthy East Buc team would be scary for a 2 to play. Wish I could see their Starmont game to know how that transpired. My guess is they beat them with speed. But I also think Starmont, ie #2, would struggle against North Butler or North Tama.

Not going to lie, a healthy East Buc team would be scary for a 2 to play. Wish I could see their Starmont game to know how that transpired. My guess is they beat them with speed. But I also think Starmont, ie #2, would struggle against North Butler or North Tama.
I think east buc beats north linn and ends up as the district champ in district 4

You obviously have a problem with district 3 this season or are a poor evaluator because it is by far not the worst district no matter how you want to spin it, by the eye test or the computer lol. Very curious how you would rate the districts in order?
I'll take a stab at it.
Ranking of districts just based on top 2 teams or what I think are the top two teams.
D2
D7
D6
D4
D5
D8
D3
D1

Ranking of districts based on district strength top 4 teams

D7
D4
D6
D2
D3
D8
D1
D5

Here would be mine
Top 2 Teams

-Saint and West Hancock carry district 2 and I think both a title contenders
-I'm not sure who the 2nd team in district 4 is, but whoever it is puts them in this spot
-I like Madrid and Lynnville Sully, but not quite to the other two districts and do have some questions about LS with injuries
-ACGC and SCC are two quality drop downs from 1A
-Woodbury Central is very good, but not sure what I feel about LoMa
-Wapsie and NP I think are better then people will give them credit for, but probably aren't dome bound
-I just think district 5 as a whole is the weakest district in the state, Lisbon has been strong but won't play anyone until the playoffs, I expected Columbus to lose to Mediapolis, but not the way they did
-District 1 is just a cluster, who are the top 2?

Top 4

I think Lake Mills is a good #3, but the number 4 is not going to be solid so that is why district 4 is on top.
For district 3,6,7 I think you could put them in any order, I like Earlham as a third team, I have questions about LS so I have the same questions about Mount Ayr and Central Decatur, and maybe one of those teams is the actual #2 who knows, I think out of district 3 North Tama could be a tough out, and North Butler appears to be a decent team if they are #4. I think after Woodbury Central and LoMa district 8 is weak, Kingsley Pierson is a 8 man move up which usually is a difficult thing to do. While district 1 is a cluster I don't see much difference between 1 and 4. District 5 after the top 2 is really bad, I even think Pekin who is 3-1 wouldn't win many games in other districts.

I'm also going a little bit off of history here for class A the strongest districts tend to sort of follow the Cedar River from the Mason City area to Cedar Rapids area.

I'll take a stab at it.
Ranking of districts just based on top 2 teams or what I think are the top two teams.
D2
D7
D6
D4
D5
D8
D3
D1

D7
D4
D6
D2
D3
D8
D1
D5
Going to have to agree with you. D3 is definitely one of the weakest districts no matter how you slice it.

I'll take a stab at it.
D2
D7
D6
D4
D5
D8
D3
D1

D7
D4
D6
D2
D3
D8
D1
D5
Pretty close to what I have but never broke down district strength on top two teams. Top 4 I’d move D2 down because it’s bad outside the top 2

Here would be mine
Top 2 Teams

-Saint and West Hancock carry district 2 and I think both a title contenders
-I'm not sure who the 2nd team in district 4 is, but whoever it is puts them in this spot
-I like Madrid and Lynnville Sully, but not quite to the other two districts and do have some questions about LS with injuries
-ACGC and SCC are two quality drop downs from 1A
-Woodbury Central is very good, but not sure what I feel about LoMa
-Wapsie and NP I think are better then people will give them credit for, but probably aren't dome bound
-I just think district 5 as a whole is the weakest district in the state, Lisbon has been strong but won't play anyone until the playoffs, I expected Columbus to lose to Mediapolis, but not the way they did
-District 1 is just a cluster, who are the top 2?

Top 4

I think Lake Mills is a good #3, but the number 4 is not going to be solid so that is why district 4 is on top.
For district 3,6,7 I think you could put them in any order, I like Earlham as a third team, I have questions about LS so I have the same questions about Mount Ayr and Central Decatur, and maybe one of those teams is the actual #2 who knows, I think out of district 3 North Tama could be a tough out, and North Butler appears to be a decent team if they are #4. I think after Woodbury Central and LoMa district 8 is weak, Kingsley Pierson is a 8 man move up which usually is a difficult thing to do. While district 1 is a cluster I don't see much difference between 1 and 4. District 5 after the top 2 is really bad, I even think Pekin who is 3-1 wouldn't win many games in other districts.

I'm also going a little bit off of history here for class A the strongest districts tend to sort of follow the Cedar River from the Mason City area to Cedar Rapids area.
Can’t agree with 2 being so high. Lake mills not sure is a solid 3. Their schedule is bad and they didn’t beat Newman or agwsr by more than a score and both r bottom teams in their districts

I think east buc beats north linn and ends up as the district champ in district 4
District 4 could change drastically this week if East Buc upsets # 5 North Linn because they finish with Postville, North Cedar and Clayton Ridge who are 3 really bad teams so they could be 6-1 in district with a win or with a loss more than likely finish 5-2 in the district and 3rd or 4th witch would be a tough matchup for another districts #2 team. North Linn, Maq Valley, Bellevue and Starmont all have to play each other in the last 3 weeks so it might come down to the last week before the top 4 are solidified in order. I honestly think the number 4 team out of this district will put a scare into a #1 from another district, im not saying they will win but it wont be your typical 1 vs 4 matchup blowout either. Dont sleep on MV as they I think still have the leading rusher in the state but they still have to play NL, Bellevue and Starmont with their loss to EB.

LS over Wayne 26-10. 11-10 at half.
From the outside and looking at rankings. Im not sold on Madrid. Their big wins on the resume don’t look as well as the season progresses.

Earlham has 2 losses Madrid & AC/GC. Earlham lost to AC/GC 28-14 and Madrid 13-6.
Earlham can win some games, but has SCC left in the regular season finale.

St. Ansgar gets a good win over NP.
East Buch takes care of business. Haven’t figured them out yet.

IHSAA releases their rankings this week

I know Wapsie isn't on many people's radar this year because they only returned 5 starters from offense or defense from last year but is anyone aware of any other class A team/s that has 3 or more shutouts through week 5? And if so, who were the shutouts over?

(Rankings are based on BCMoore rankings after Week 5 results.)
WV has shutouts over 2A Jesup #29, South Winn #32, North Butler #24 and North Tama #28. Definitely not top notch, but not pushovers either. The only team to score was 1A Denver #3, who scored 39 (Ugh). Note: Wapsie was without it's starting RB/safety and starting linebacker. Denver likely still would have won, but would have been much closer. Their offensive line averages 250 lbs and are athletic, and they do currently have the number one RB in rushing yards in the all classes!

Also, interesting fact: Wapsie has 19 TDs this year. Only 9 of those are from within the red zone and 6 of them are from outside 40 yards. Wapsie needs to start to establish a passing game though.

Looking at the districts it looks like all the key games are the next 3 weeks to decide standings.
D1 2 team race
D2 ST A, WH, Lake Mills in order then who? Lake mills is 5-0 but finishes with SA and WH
D3 Wapsie, Nashua, North Butler all have to play each other who is the 4th
D4 Complete mess with 5 teams with 1 district loss, East Buc, North Linn, Maq Valley, Starmont and Bellevue, The last 4 all have to play each other the last few weeks as EB has already played all of them and finishes with the 3 bottom teams. My guess, EB, MV, NL, Bellevue
D5 Lisbon and Col Junct then probably Pekin and draw the other out of a hat? Very weak district as Lisbon is 5-0 but other than CJ havent played anyone.
D6 Madrid, Lynville, Central Decatour, MT Ayer?
D7 ACGC, SCC
D8 Woodburry, Logan M. KP, Woodburry and KP play this week

Just to follow up on the shut-out question. I did a little research to answer my own question...

Team with 4 shutouts (BCMoore rankings of teams):
Wapsie Valley - 29 (2A), 32, 24, 28

Team with 3 Shutouts
North Linn - 57, 8, 49

Teams with 2 Shutouts
West Hancock - 54, 46
Starmont - 11, 50
Lisbon - 45, 58
Maq Valley - 57, 50
Tri-Center - 52, 41
North Butler - 46, 54
Bellevue - 50, 57

Teams with 1 Shutout
12 teams where highest opponent rank was 34, average was 46.

Wapsie faces AGWSR 39 and BCLUW 48 the next two weeks.

I know Wapsie isn't on many people's radar this year because they only returned 5 starters from offense or defense from last year but is anyone aware of any other class A team/s that has 3 or more shutouts through week 5? And if so, who were the shutouts over?

WV has shutouts over 2A Jesup #29, South Winn #32, North Butler #24 and North Tama #28. Definitely not top notch, but not pushovers either. The only team to score was 1A Denver #3, who scored 39 (Ugh). Note: Wapsie was without it's starting RB/safety and starting linebacker. Denver likely still would have won, but would have been much closer. Their offensive line averages 250 lbs and are athletic, and they do currently have the number one RB in rushing yards in the all classes!

Also, interesting fact: Wapsie has 19 TDs this year. Only 9 of those are from within the red zone and 6 of them are from outside 40 yards. Wapsie needs to start to establish a passing game though

Also, interesting fact: Wapsie has 19 TDs this year. Only 9 of those are from within the red zone and 6 of them are from outside 40 yards. Wapsie needs to start to establish a passing game though.
The leading rusher in the state is Mcshane from Maq Valley in rushing and all pupose yards

Just to follow up on the shut-out question. I did a little research to answer my own question...

Team with 4 shutouts (BCMoore rankings of teams):
Wapsie Valley - 29 (2A), 32, 24, 28

Team with 3 Shutouts
North Linn - 57, 8, 49

Teams with 2 Shutouts
West Hancock - 54, 46
Starmont - 11, 50
Lisbon - 45, 58
Maq Valley - 57, 50
Tri-Center - 52, 41
North Butler - 46, 54
Bellevue - 50, 57

Teams with 1 Shutout
12 teams where highest opponent rank was 34, average was 46.

Wapsie faces AGWSR 39 and BCLUW 48 the next two weeks.
North Linn just gave up 41 to East Buch as I think the only other team that scored on them was Alb clear back on week 1

Looking at the districts it looks like all the key games are the next 3 weeks to decide standings.
D1 2 team race
D2 ST A, WH, Lake Mills in order then who? Lake mills is 5-0 but finishes with SA and WH
D3 Wapsie, Nashua, North Butler all have to play each other who is the 4th
D4 Complete mess with 5 teams with 1 district loss, East Buc, North Linn, Maq Valley, Starmont and Bellevue, The last 4 all have to play each other the last few weeks as EB has already played all of them and finishes with the 3 bottom teams. My guess, EB, MV, NL, Bellevue
D5 Lisbon and Col Junct then probably Pekin and draw the other out of a hat? Very weak district as Lisbon is 5-0 but other than CJ havent played anyone.
D6 Madrid, Lynville, Central Decatour, MT Ayer?
D7 ACGC, SCC
D8 Woodburry, Logan M. KP, Woodburry and KP play this week
D2 North Union and Newman on 10/6 for 4th place
D3 Have to believe Nashua will beat North Butler, and Wapsie will beat Nashua 10/13. South Winn vs North Tama for 4th place on 10/6.
D4 Agree - going to be a nailbiter to end. Maq Valley has Bellevue this week, North Linn next followed by Starmont. If I had to guess, I would say Starmont, North Linn, East Buc, Maq Valley. I think first 3 tie on record and points and then it is reverse alphabetical.
D5 Danville and Van Buren County play this week, winner will be #4.
D6 Agree. Madrid, LS, Central Decatur, Mount Ayr
D7 ACGC, SCC, Earlham, IKM
D8 Woodbury Central, Logan-Magnolia, KP and Tri-Center - last two play 10/13 to determine 3rd and 4th.

D2 North Union and Newman on 10/6 for 4th place
D3 Have to believe Nashua will beat North Butler, and Wapsie will beat Nashua 10/13. South Winn vs North Tama for 4th place on 10/6.
D4 Agree - going to be a nailbiter to end. Maq Valley has Bellevue this week, North Linn next followed by Starmont. If I had to guess, I would say Starmont, North Linn, East Buc, Maq Valley. I think first 3 tie on record and points and then it is reverse alphabetical.
D5 Danville and Van Buren County play this week, winner will be #4.
D6 Agree. Madrid, LS, Central Decatur, Mount Ayr
D7 ACGC, SCC, Earlham, IKM
D8 Woodbury Central, Logan-Magnolia, KP and Tri-Center - last two play 10/13 to determine 3rd and 4th.
For that to happen in D4 that means those top 3 teams would beat their remaining opponents by at least 17 to still stay tied, I think those games are going to be closer than you think. I like NP over Wapsie at home because more than likley the winner is district champs and watching them they played SA tough for the most part and SA is dam good. It will be interesting who gets paired with who down the road in playoffs.

Sorry, must have looked before they updated stats for Friday night.
Having said that, McShane is a stud, don't get me wrong, but he has faced teams ranked, 32, 49, 11, 57, and 50. If he continues to dominate over the next three weeks where competition starts to get a little tougher then I will completely submit. Grier from Denver has faced teams ranked 30, 9, 9, 34, and 18.

Having said that, McShane is a stud, don't get me wrong, but he has faced teams ranked, 32, 49, 11, 57, and 50. If he continues to dominate over the next three weeks where competition starts to get a little tougher then I will completely submit. Grier from Denver has faced teams ranked 30, 9, 9, 34, and 18.
You put way to much stock in BC Moore rankings offensive and defensive avg mean nothing

Reactions: Pinehawk
For that to happen in D4 that means those top 3 teams would beat their remaining opponents by at least 17 to still stay tied, I think those games are going to be closer than you think. I like NP over Wapsie at home because more than likley the winner is district champs and watching them they played SA tough for the most part and SA is dam good. It will be interesting who gets paired with who down the road in playoffs.
True. MV can definitely influence the outcome over the next few weeks.

I haven't seen the game yet, but do you know what happened in the Nashua / North Tama game? Someone hurt or something? 22 NP - 20 NT vs 45 WV - 0 NT needs some sort of explanation.

And they had a lot returning from last year, so I wouldn't have expected a huge shake-up in their starting lineup.

True. MV can definitely influence the outcome over the next few weeks.

I haven't seen the game yet, but do you know what happened in the Nashua / North Tama game? Someone hurt or something? 22 NP - 20 NT vs 45 WV - 0 NT needs some sort of explanation.

And they had a lot returning from last year, so I wouldn't have expected a huge shake-up in their starting lineup.
I'm not one to compare scores especially in high school sports, it a matter of matchups.

You put way to much stock in BC Moore rankings offensive and defensive avg mean nothing
It's not the offensive and defensive average (agree that is worthless) but the overall team rank. And in my experience BCMoore is pretty accurate this late into the year.

Agree ultimately matchup will influence the game tremendously and will determine the results, but no way to systematically do that and BCMoore is the best way to assess at a high level.

Last edited:
It's not the offensive and defensive average (agree that is worthless) but the overall team rank. And in my experience BCMoore is pretty accurate this late into the year.
So they use strength of sched, off and def avg, so if you don't use either of them are they only basing their ranking on strength of sched? The eyeball test tells me more than any computer and nowadays you can watch dam near any team you want on livestream. Even these poll rankings are a joke because the only thing they look at is record and do no research at all like who they played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT