ADVERTISEMENT

Class A: Districts Top 2 teams with Sleeper.

Nov 7, 2012
District 1: Last years toughest district.
West Lyon and Lawton Bronson: Sleeper Akron Westfield
District 2: West Hancock and Mason City Newman: Sleeper. Bishop Garrigan
District 3: Wapsie Valley and Starmont: Sleeper Turkey Valley
District 4: North Tama and Grundy Center: Sleeper Gladbrook Reinbeck
District 5: Weakest District.
Lisbon and Lone Tree: Sleeper Waco Wayland
District 6: Lynville Sully and Pekin: Sleeper: Montezuma
District 7: Woodward Granger and Madrid: Sleeper Bedford
District 8: This years toughest district.
Logan Magnolia and Griswold: Sleeper AHST Avoca

District 1
West Lyon and Lawton Bronson, Sleeper: Akron Westfield, I think just about anyone could find themselves in the top 4

District 2
West Hancock and Newman, Sleeper AGWSR

District 3
Wapsie and Starmont, Sleeper Postville

District 4

Gladbrook Reinbeck and Grundy Center, Sleeper Iowa Valley

Distict 5

Lisbon and WACO, Sleeper Highland

District 6

BGM and Monte, Sleeper L-S

District 7

Madrid and ??? Sleeper is Woodward Granger I don't know what they return I think the 2-4 spots are wide open

District 8

LoMa and Griswold Sleeper is Underwood

Woodward Granger has won something like 24 straight district games. Until they get beat, they are not a sleeper. They are the giant. Madrid had a down year last year, but you all know they will return.

Woodward is a sleeper in the sense that they lose a lot of key pieces and it is not known exactly how they will be, they could win the district but at the same time they could have a real down year.

District 1:

1/2: Lawton Bronson: Bring back a lot of talent including Sappingfield and Ashley. Always tough team. Lost QB, had some talented younger guys that may step in.
1/2: West Lyon: Bring back a lot of talent, but lost some talented players. Will be looking for some first time varsity guys to take on some big roles. Off season will be big.

Sleeper: Hinton/West Sioux: The state runner up Hinton team lost a lot of talent but always seem to put together a great squad. West Sioux was bottom of D1 last fall, but bring back a lot of youth players. They will make the biggest move in D1 IMO.

Akron: Lost more than any team in D1. Lost over 90% of offense. Hoffman returns, but not much experience around him.

D1 will not be as deep as last fall, but may have a better 1-2 next fall. Will be interesting to see what younger guys emerge next fall.

Top 3 districts in my humble and probably not important opinion are Districts 1, 3 and 8 with Districts 2 and 7 in that second tear.

Originally posted by Paul_Rhoades:
Top 3 districts in my humble and probably not important opinion are Districts 1, 3 and 8 with Districts 2 and 7 in that second tear.
Not sure I agree. But, hard to say at this time. Alot can change over the summer.

D6 will be interesting next fall.

USFHAWKS, give your fearless preseason top 15. I've been on this board for a long time, and you seem to know a lot.
Last year, I would have put a pretty penny on the Mighty Woodward Granger Hawks making it to the dome or winning it. That was one of the best classes to go through here in sometime. We lose a lot, but don't count them out this year. Would like to know who has the longest district winning streak in the state in class A. WG has to be in the running.

Originally posted by Paul_Rhoades:
USFHAWKS, give your fearless preseason top 15. I've been on this board for a long time, and you seem to know a lot.
Last year, I would have put a pretty penny on the Mighty Woodward Granger Hawks making it to the dome or winning it. That was one of the best classes to go through here in sometime. We lose a lot, but don't count them out this year. Would like to know who has the longest district winning streak in the state in class A. WG has to be in the running.
Right now everything is just a guessing game, but on paper the following teams look good.

BGM
Wapsie Valley
Madrid
Lawton Bronson
Lisbon
Hinton
Mason City Newman
Algona Garrigan (sleeper)
Montezuma
Starmont
Grundy Center
Lynnville Sully
West Lyon
Gladbrook Reinbeck
LOMA

Will add more info later........

Here is question I would like to pose. How is Woodward Academy in class A? I see they won the District Championship in track last night. I am from the Woodward area, and I know for a fact that the number of kids that comes and goes through their doors in a given year far exceeds the number that is counted against them. On the IHSAA, it says that they have 207 kids (thats all boys mind you), but they are allowed to be in class A football and class 1A in track. To me, that is not right. Im not saying they shouldn't be allowed to participate in HS sports, but they shouldn't be allowed to go to the lowest levels. Thoughts???

This post was edited on 5/10 1:44 PM by Paul_Rhoades

The number of kids that go through the Academy is not relevant, just like the number of kids that go in and out of any other school. The certified enrollment is a snapshot in time. The Academy only has a certain number of slots available at any one time, so it is like they can use all the students that go through during a year at the same time. In addition, they actually are at a disadvantage because a number of their students are not eligible to participate (i.e. sexual offenders) but still count against the certified enrollment - the 207 number that you cite. There is absolutely no advantage what so ever that the Academy has based on numbers - the argument against parochial school would possibly be more valid, but even that is iffy.

There is no doubt that the Academy has some very gifted athletes that come through, but the fact is that the vast majority of those kids have never participated in organized athletics before. My kids will play against the Academy in every sport (in both the same district football and athletic conference) and I have absolutely no problem with them being in Class A. Just my two cents.

It is relevant if the entire population is one sex. Don't know anything about them, but to have 207 males in school to field a team, does put them at an advantage when playing in class A. I'm sure some of the kids can't participate, but even if you eliminated those boys from the count and then doubled the enrollment to reflect normal girl numbers, then they still would not be Class A.

207 that is reported by the IHSAA is a number of students that is still higher than a class A football school should be, whether it has boys or girls in it. Again, I have no problem with them playing, but they should play at a level of kids they have in the school.

Both Woodward and Clarinda academy always play at the same level as their "town" teams, Clarinda shouldn't be in 2A and Woodward should be bigger than A, I think there something with this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT