ADVERTISEMENT

Way Too Early Class 1A District Projections

Mar 5, 2015
Figured we spice up the football talk with districts being released today, I’m starting with Class 1A and who I think will come out on top of each district:

District 1: West Sioux
Really is a choice between West Sioux and OABCIG in my eyes, but I’ll give the slight advantage to the Falcons here. Would not shock me if Lawton-Bronson has a say here.

District 2: Pocahontas Area
This has to be one of the weakest districts I think I’ve seen in quite a long time, with only Poky finishing .500 last season (Emmetsburg did play a playoff game however). However, there’s 4 teams that can legitimately challenge for the crown, but right now I’m leaning with the Indians based on their returnees.

District 3: MFL, MarMac
The Bulldogs have a legitimate shot at the 1A Crown with the pieces they return, and while AP and Dike-New Hartford both graduate big senior classes, I expect them to still stay competitive.

District 4: Grundy Center
It’s hard to imagine that the Spartans aren’t the favorites for the 1A crown in 2023, returning 90% of their production on both sides of the ball, it’s hard to see them getting a regular season test.

District 5: Cascade
The Cougars are my pick in a district that has a lot of teams in rebuilding years. Not sold on Dumont at Regina quite yet, and West Branch graduates a ton.

District 6: Sigourney-Keota
Every year, it feels like we expect S-K to take a step back… and every year they make us look dumb. PC returns quite a bit as well, but the Savage Cobras have had their number lately.

District 7: South Hamilton
The Hawks are a clear-cut favorite in a surprisingly weak D7. South Hamilton returns many starters and contributors off their district title team last year. WG looks to be the stiffest competition outside of that.

District 8: Underwood
The Eagles lose their QB from a year ago, but return their top 2 rushers and top 4 receivers. Hard not to think the Eagles don’t make a return trip to the UNI Dome.

Last edited:
I think you have done a good job with your picks. I really thought they would put OABCIG in District 2 to at least have one team with a winning record but that is not the case. Eagle Grove was actually a playoff qualifier also but they got smoked by A-P in the first round last season.

District 5: Cascade
The Cougars are my pick in a district that has a lot of teams in rebuilding years. Not sold on Dumont at Regina quite yet, and West Branch graduates a ton.

Cascade is probably the favorite. But don't sleep on the ol Bears and Regals. They'll battle for the top spot.

Cascade is probably the favorite. But don't sleep on the ol Bears and Regals. They'll battle for the top spot.
Isnt Beckman also in this district? I think they will also be in the thick of things. I know WB lost a really good senior class, what did Regina lose or has coming back>

I believe Cascade returns their QB and a couple quality receivers, but they graduate several solid linemen and they could barely field a jv last year. Really low numbers, like in the mid/upper 20's for 9-12th. Do they even have any kids to fill those linemen spots?

I'd have to believe West Branch is favored to win D5. I know they graduated a lot of skill guys, but that O/D line is way better than the others in that district. They'll find someone to hand the ball off and they'll physically dominate everyone up front.

District 5 is maybe the most interesting district, so many unknowns but at the same time any of the teams could be really good. I'm guessing Durant will be down after graduating their stud, but other then that it could be anyone. Beckman was a top 5 team before a party cost them most of their team last year (or at least that is the story). Casacade has some studs but depth could be a concern, although is it me or do they always kind of struggle with that? West Branch will be solid, like mentioned they have a great line and will be able to find skill kids. I guess I wonder about Butch's health, not that their aren't other quality coaches at WB but mentally it can be tough for kids. Regina will be good, but I'm not sure they'll be what we have come to expect from Regina. Finally Wilton I believe was young last year and that's always a team that can be a challenge.

Reactions: IGo42
Isnt Beckman also in this district? I think they will also be in the thick of things. I know WB lost a really good senior class, what did Regina lose or has coming back>
Beckman had a really talented senior class, many of which had to sit the second half of the season due to non-injury related reasons. Their underclassmen got a chance to play and get experience for the future, but they got blown out in their last 3 games by Wat Columbus, Sum-Fred, and MFL. Those guys will have to make a giant leap in ability to be able to compete for a district title in '23. Possibly a playoff team, but don't see them as a district champ or runner-up this fall.

I believe Regina returns the coaches' son (Gentry Dumont) at QB and a good WR, but lose Levi Daniel (RB) who was their horse in the backfield. I think they'll be in the running for the D5 crown or runner up spot.
I predict it will be West Branch, Regina, Cascade, Beckman, Wilton, and then Durant (in that order). All solid teams in this district, but perhaps no semifinalists either.

I predict it will be West Branch, Regina, Cascade, Beckman, Wilton, and then Durant (in that order). All solid teams in this district, but perhaps no semifinalists either.
Noted for prosperity's sake. FB is won on the LOS. If WB has 5 returning linemen they'll have a puncher's chance.

Regina will be lucky to have a winning season. Everyone that has a clue knows the issues.

West Branch returns the starting lineman they recruited away from West Liberty last year. And, has added West Liberty's starting running back for next season.

You'd think West Liberty would start to get tired of West Branch recruiting away all their best players.

You'd think West Liberty would start to get tired of West Branch recruiting away all their best players.
Hypocrisy GIF

• Haha
Reactions: gdkid2010
Just out of curiosity since Regina and WB are in the same district who do you think they put on their list for non district games as they each get three. Last 2 years WB had Lisbon and Maq Valley as 2 of there 3 and I think Regina had Williamsburg and Mid Prairie as 2 of their three.

West Branch returns the starting lineman they recruited away from West Liberty last year. And, has added West Liberty's starting running back for next season.

Must be talking about the freshman that averaged 2.4 ypc.

Just out of curiosity since Regina and WB are in the same district who do you think they put on their list for non district games as they each get three. Last 2 years WB had Lisbon and Maq Valley as 2 of there 3 and I think Regina had Williamsburg and Mid Prairie as 2 of their three.
Would love to see Mepo on the lists for WB, ICR and SK.

Reactions: WBBearsFollower
Must be talking about the freshman that averaged 2.4 ypc.
58 tackles as a freshman for WL. Left West Liberty in time to wrestle for WB and get to State. Along with the West Liberty lineman they brought in last year.

58 tackles as a freshman for WL. Left West Liberty in time to wrestle for WB and get to State. Along with the West Liberty lineman they brought in last year.
Family moves to a home in WB district.
His father's family (the entire family) graduated from WB. His uncle is one of the more celebrated players in WB football history.

Move on

Every student who attends Regina is open enrolled, bucko. Every. Single. One.

The defense rests.
Stop it. @Pinehawk doesn't appreciate it when actual facts are thrown his way,
His Family moved to a home in WB district.
His father's family (the entire family) graduated from WB. His uncle is one of the more celebrated players in WB football history.

Move on
Again, be careful giving facts and actual information to back up a post. That's frowned upon, by some, on the Internet.

I had thought it was taking way too long for the WB RC arguments to get going. Glad all is normal in the world again.

Not all kids are recruited to Regina. That is a disingenuous argument that some apparently thinks excuses all of the blatant recruiting that West Branch has been doing.
In just the last two years (all from bigger schools, moving down):
  • Hughes (Liberty)
  • McCollough (Liberty)
  • Rocha (West Liberty)
  • Gates (West Liberty)

@Pinehawk

Our FB coach is battling for his life, and you want to talk about this inconsequential BS.

Even on a message board, take a break. Be thankful for what you have, and who you have.
Hug your loved ones. Tell them that you love them.
Make sure they know you care.

Stop worrying about things that are out of your control.

Peace.

Every student who attends Regina is open enrolled, bucko. Every. Single. One.

The defense rests.
Technically not a single one is open enrolled bucko. To be open enrolled you need to go from one public school district to another. They are not a school district so there are no open enrollment papers that need to be filled out. Get your facts straight.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Technically not a single one is open enrolled bucko. To be open enrolled you need to go from one public school district to another. They are not a school district so there are no open enrollment papers that need to be filled out. Get your facts straight.
Every student at a private school openly decides to attend the private school. Or, their parent openly decides for them.

These same students all reside in a public school district.

Public District ----> Private School

That's open enrollment. Fact.

Now move the f^ck on.

• Haha
Reactions: Pinehawk
Every student at a private school openly decides to attend the private school. Or, their parent openly decides for them.

These same students all reside in a public school district.

Public District ----> Private School

That's open enrollment. Fact.

Now move the f^ck on.
I remember having kids in school who were open enrolled, had to fill out additional paperwork on top of the regular paperwork.
Didn’t have to do that for private school.
The state doesn’t consider them to be open enrolled. Take your issue up with the state. Last I checked they set the rules.
Nice profanity by the way, always a solid effort.

Fun to see how things have evolved since these predictions last spring...

Not all kids are recruited to Regina. That is a disingenuous argument that some apparently thinks excuses all of the blatant recruiting that West Branch has been doing.
In just the last two years (all from bigger schools, moving down):
  • Hughes (Liberty)
  • McCollough (Liberty)
  • Rocha (West Liberty)
  • Gates (West Liberty)
You can add RB Capper (Solon) and the new QB Dale (IC Liberty) to that list for new WB recruits for this season.
The IC Liberty QB transfer turned the WB season around, and they wouldn't be where they are without him.

⬆️ Thank you ESPN for giving us WBs Roster Breakdown.

Telling you anything is like telling a child over and over again…but I’ll try

Cappers family is a life long WB Family. The family came home to be closer to family after his Dad died in the summer.

The RB Gates also a life long WB family also came home.

So again get over it, don’t you have yard work to do old man?

They were such life long families that this is their first season at West Branch, after leaving Solon and West Liberty halfway through high school.
Coincidently as WB just graduated their QB and RB.

I understand that’s just the way is now. That’s fine.
But, we can at least recognize, and admit, what is going on.

• Haha
Reactions: ISUfan00
I wish there was a dedicated board where you guys could take your stupid recruiting slap-fight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT