ADVERTISEMENT

Class A- District 4

Anonymous2002

Freshman
Oct 7, 2012
So, it appears from the records that this district is loaded... 5 teams with unblemished records through district play... and with some big wins. That will come to an end, however, tomorrow night with 4 of them playing each other. I think tomorrow night sets the tone for the season and will give a better idea for where everyone is really at.

Here are my predictions for tomorrow:

Wapsie vs Alburnett... Wapsie is off to a great start with wins over 2 strong 1A programs! Wapsie ROLLS the Pirates 38-14
East Buc vs North Linn: Should be a great match-up. I think Miller provides too much explosiveness and beats EB in a close one late.
ED-Co vs. Postville: ED-CO wins by 3 TD's

Thoughts??

GO WARRIORS!

Wapsie won't give up 14 points. I'd say 42-6, late touchdown like the other two opponents did to them.
That north linn east buc game will be a real good one and I think will be anyone's game. Pry will depend on turnovers.
Ed co postiville I agree with you on that one will be a 3 td game. Might be even more than that ed co likes to throw the ball n postville has never been strong against the pass.

This is not the alburnett team wapsie saw last year. I think anyone of the district 4 teams expecting the 40 point stroll against the pirates are going to be unpleasantly surprised. I'd say it's a lower scoring game , perhaps 13-10 ? That seems to be a familiar score from a few years back.

Ahhh guy has jokes. I remember a interception that wasn't a interception to seal that win but let's not talk about history with wapsie you might lose that argument lol. Rings talk, making the quarterfinals don't. If you are a alburnett supporter check out that board at wapsie it will teach you about history worth bragging about bud.
ANYWAYS back to this year, alburnett is improved least the scoreboard and stats look like they are. The opponents not very tough but look better. I will stick to my guns on this and say it's a countious clock game at some point.
That new offense that they run can be scouted now because there is gamefilm on it.

Ouch. Touched a nerve I guess. Sorry about that!

But you guys wanted some response from district 4 correct ? Otherwise the A forum is pretty dead .

good luck tonight. Like the home team's chances, just wouldn't have them covering the spread.
12 hours, we will know who is right and who is wrong.

I'll be glad i'm watching FB either way, and not hanging out in S Florida

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
It's all good my man. That blown call still just bugs me in that game a few years back lol.
Yes we will know soon. I will agree on that, sounds like it is going to be just horrible down that way.

Should have been 32-0 lol scored on third string guys with alburnetts starters. Wapsie didn't actually play that great compared to there other games. Maybe a little rivalry hangover for them.
REAL QUESTION does anyone have any info on the east buc n north linn game?? Saw the score but just curious on how the game played out.

East Buc should have scored 50 points, but turnovers & penalties were an issue. Their defense was tremendous, held Miller to only 45 yards of total offense, with 40 coming from 1 play. If East Buc can't clean it up against WV this week, it won't be much of a game.

EB must have cleaned it up, or the Wapsie JV must have made a play at the end? Sounded like a slugfest.

Eb had one big td pass play and wapsie turned the ball over 3 times, once right around the 5. Also turned it over on downs a few times deep inside east buc territory. Will say East buc was better than expected at least to me. They got their backs against the wall now. Need to beat Lisbon this week or will be praying for a wild card spot

Through week 4, WV's opponents have averaged 272 yards rushing against their opponents while WV has held them to an average of 82 yds/gm. Their defense is pretty tough! But in a district that legitimately could have 5, possibly 6, teams that would at least be runners up in other districts have to bring "A" game every week for the entire game.

I don't know about 3 teams getting in again this year. Just guessing we don't see a 3 team tie again (which if i'm not mistaken was the first criteria for 3rd team getting in last year. ) . Could EB beat Lisbon and Lisbon beat Wapsie? Sure, but I wouldn't expect that to happen again. If Lisbon is the 3rd place team, that close win over N Linn is going to damage their point differential. Just probability that 2 of the other districts have 3rd place teams with higher point differential. EB as third place finisher is better option for D4 getting 3

Good point. And with as much parity as there is this year it is going to be difficult to get a good spread. Too bad as a number of these teams deserve to make playoffs.

Big battle between WV and Lisbon this week. Should be another great game. Curious to see how WV handles the passing attack of Jennett.

Looks like east buc shut it down pretty well so I have a feeling wapsie won't struggle against it either. im guessing Lisbon throws their bubble screens and short passes again this year like years past?

I saw the Lisbon-NL game. Lions did go deep to a fair amount (?4-5 times and hit a couple to the long blonde hair kid). I could see that causing a little problem to WV if the lions get the right match-up with the , um, vertically challenge wapsie secondary. But don't see them doing enough in run game to scare wapsie given the game I saw, and their only score against EB was a long fumble return for TD? Lions do have athletes in the secondary it seemed though and looked fairly fast on D. If they get some turnovers there, then it could stay close. Lisbon should be pretty desperate too. But I'd say wapsie wins , something like 21-6.

Just curious how Lisbons pass rush defense is. The quick passes seem to work against Wapsie but they are relatively quick to the ball. And the last few tapes I have seen their pass rush has been improving which may limit deep balls. Schroeder, while not tall, is a ball hawk. I agree if WV can keep turnover ratio close should be 21-6 WV, but that is no sure thing :) Should be fun to watch though!

I'll probably jinx WV with this, however, the stats geek in me compared the offense and defense between the common opponents of Lisbon and WV. The only team both have played is East Buc.

Lisbon generated 226 yards of total offense (135 pass/91 rush) against EB and allowed EB's offense to generate 323 yards of total offense (79 pass/244 rush) for a net of -97 yds offense

WV generated 271 yards of total offense (71 pass/200 rush) against EB and allowed EB's offense to generate 173 yards of total offense (105 pass/68 rush) for a net of +98 yds offense

I like WV's odds.

potential for D4 to pretty much settle itself out tonight. Wapsie and N Linn win, and I don't see any other outcome other than Wapsie and East Buc in the playoffs. A Lisbon win and it is probably same scenario as last year with WV, Lisbon, EB tying for district title and all 3 in playoffs. An Alburnett win keeps the pirates post-season chances alive, but EB and Lisbon still to play.

FWIW, Pirates -Lynx should be close. Homecoming in Alburnett though. Never know where kids heads are at. Plus pirates and ball security have not been synonymous. Hopefully a clean game from pirates and keep miller under control. Grind out a close win.

Lisbon getting 91 yards of rushing on wapsie like they did against east buc, I will take the under with vegas lol. I will say total offense will be under 200 yards also. Basically if wapsie wins tonight they r in n district champs because I don't think their jv would even lose to starmont or postville.
As for the alburnett game I dk why but I like alburnett in this game. Seems like they are a very confident bunch this year and I'm thinking north linn has pry scrapped the season since they have really no playoff hope but possibly a wild card at this point

Okay does anyone have any insight on the alburnett game against north linn tonight?! I did not see that coming. I thought be a good game n alburnett would win but not like that. Are they a threat to east buc and Lisbon? I will say this I was very unimpressed with Lisbon. The wapsie score didn't do justice to the game. That game was not as close as the score. I think alburnett will beat Lisbon

Insight....

I would be hard pressed to find too many people that predicted the thumping that the Pirates put on the Lynx last night. The Pirates finally put a "start to finish" game together and showed what they are capable of. A team with confidence that is in check can be very dangerous and Alburnett has all of the confidence in the world right now. Breuer must keep this confidence controlled. In defense of NL, it sounds like Miller was under the weather all week, but you cannot use that as an excuse as other guys have to step up. What should have been a close game was very onesided with a Pirate game plan for which the Lynx had no answer.

Now, the bit of rivalry "jawing" may have also fueled the fire in the Pirate bellies, but the chatter when these 2 play is always there!

If the Pirates play a complete game like this against Lisbon and EB, I think Lisbon will have real problems and EB will be a nailbiter. Coach has put the playoff's in sight, but the players are going to have to play 2 of their best games of the season over the next 3 weeks.

Put me down also surprised by the outcome of the Alburnett -N Linn game. Might have been a perfect storm of things. The N Linn line is a little young and was abused. Lynx had no first downs and NEG yards total offense in the first half, and threw 2 picks. But it was clearly the best the Alburnett defense has looked all year. And it was the clean game from pirate offense (limited penalties/ fumbles / drops) that I was asking for. Mix in Homecoming, rivalry game and a little talk on social media leading up to the game, once the Lynx got down it snowballed pretty quickly .

not too surprised Wapsie handled Lisbon based on what I've seen so far. Was a little surprised at the total points scored , but spread , not so much.

Thoughts on East Buc vs. Alburnett this week?! All the makings of a HUGE game with The winner in the drivers seat for the 2nd playoff berth! Can Alburnett play like they did last week or was that just a fluke?? Personally, I dont think they can replicate that again... since Wapsie will have a bye, I Plan to make the trip to Winthrop to see if the Pirates are for real...

Reactions: APir8Dad
Alburnett is much improved, but East Buc’s size & physical play will be too much for the Pirates to handle. I’m taking EB to win by 14 if both teams play a clean game.

Despite the scores, I thought Starmont could be a pretty physical team up the middle. Out on the edges, their young kids couldn't hold up as well. So, the score might up end lopsided with wapsie, the warriors will probably have to do a little more work than their fans might expect.

I hope you all are wrong on the Pirates and Buccaneers, another Battle for the High Seas. But I also feel like I have to see the Pirates do it one more time before I am completely bought in. But man after last season, this has been so enjoyable. I cant complain too much regardless of the outcome , although if EB wins I'm hoping the Pirates can keep it close so they might be able to stay alive for wild card -point differential race. Will come down to turnovers and big plays I think. EB seems to hit a big play either on offense or defense (pick 6, fumble return) in a lot of their games. And both teams can put the ball on the ground at times. So, whichever team wins in those areas is likely to win the game, imo

Bitter pill to swallow in Winthrop. East Buc scored with 23 seconds left to win it. scoreless in the first half. Weather was still playing a pretty big role Saturday night as it was raining again at the start and strong wind out of the west effected the passing game. EB dominated most of the first half, but had several botched snaps , one Alburnett recovered, which helped keep it scoreless. Pirates were hampered by motion penalties and a few own their own snap issues.

Second half, I felt Alburnett controlled until late. They had a long drive into the wind in the third quarter that took a lot of time of the clock . But they had to overcome 3 holding/ block below the waist calls, the last of which made it 1st and 25 at EB 27 and turned over on downs. Alburnett kept EB in their end and then finally took advantage of the short field mid fourth to score with just under 4 left. But XP was missed. EB then converted on 4th and 10 , two separate times. Both across the middle where ball was tipped up in the air by defender and then caught by Bucs. You could see the momentum go to EB after that.
And to their credit, they had some nice throws, well designed plays to finish out the drive. Not what I would expect out of a wishbone/ power I team.

tough one as an Alburnett fan. Defense has really figured it out though. Just hoping they can get one of the wildcard spots, but that looks like its going to take a lot of help.

If alburnett has any shot at a wildcard they will probably need to win both remaining games by 17 n that will be tough to do against Lisbon. It's tough to think that they won't make the playoffs because they are really playing well right now. The joys of playing in a tough district, One hand it screws you on a wildcard because the points n on the other prepares you better for a deep playoff run for playing a tough schedule. Teams with a bad district is who the system benefits which sucks but I dk how else they can really do it

I'm not sure Alburnett would have to beat Lisbon by 17, but it wouldn't hurt. They do have to beat Lisbon, so that's a place to start. Pirates did beat Belle Plaine in non-district play so would hold an advantage there. But that is assuming Hudson and Gladbrook-Reinbeck both beat Belle Plaine . I just have no idea how the tiebreaker scenario works. For instance if Belle Plaine lost close games both to Hudson and GR and their point differential gave them a wild card spot, does that spot go to Alburnett based on head to head win, or does it go to the next team in the que according to point differential?

as far as point differential, I think the Alburnett need to get to +52. Earlham is a likely to get to +51, they have two probable blowout to finish the season. Several other teams are higher right now but have likely losses on the schedule (Nashua plays Britt, New London -Pekin, etc). The district with garrigan, HMS, ridgeview scares me as far as potential to have team finished tied for first / second. Alburnett is +23, with Postville likely being a +17. Can the pirates beat Lisbon and beat them by 12?

Belle Plaine's spot would just go to the next team in points.

I kinda figure as much, but really makes head to head in wild-card-spot tie-breaker scenario meaningless to the team that wins (in Non-district play at least). Just effects the loser of that game potentially.

Determining the at large qualifiers:
1. Criteria for Determining wild cardSelection
a. Anyone who is considered a district champion (anyone in a 3 or 4 way tie)
b. District record
c. Head to head competition (District or non-district)
d. Tie Breaker Point Differential +/- 17
e. Alphabetical Draw each year- For 2017 we will start with the letter Dand use reverse alphabetical order D through A and then Z through E.
Class 4A and 8 Player: 8 districts apiece. District champion and District runner-up would automatically qualify to create the 16 qualifiers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT