www.thirdandamile.blogspot.com
District Champs (hosting Round 1)
  • North Scott
  • Xavier
  • Waverly-Shell Rock
  • Indianola
  • Lewis Central
  • Webster City
Second-place qualifiers (hosting Round 1)
  • Bondurant-Farrar
  • Winterset
Second-place qualifiers (on the road)
  • Spencer
  • Clear Creek Amana
  • Decorah
  • Burlington
At-large qualifiers (on the road)
  • Fort Dodge
  • Norwalk
  • Cedar Rapids Washington
  • Carlisle
Pella missed the playoffs by .0002 behind Carlisle for the last at-large spot.

You'll notice the IHSAA used head-to-head results of North Scott over Xavier to adjust the 1 and 2 seeds, even though Xavier's RPI is .0042 higher than North Scott. I thought the postseason manual only said they'd use head-to-head to overrule RPI in "side by side" rankings for the 16th and final qualifier ... apparently they're also using it for seeding, which is fine, but I didn't see that point made in the manual (maybe I missed it, they bury important stuff like that in weird places you wouldn't think to look).

So, you'd guess North Scott, Xavier, Waverly-Shell Rock, and Indianola will each go in a different pod, as the top four seeds. Trouble is, that makes the pods kind of geographically difficult ... the NS/CRX/WSR pods only have four other road teams on their side of the state, while west of B/F/Carlisle there are seven teams, four of which have to travel, and only one pod (Indianola's) anywhere in the area.

Here's a thought:

CR Wash at North Scott
CCA at B/F

Decorah at Xavier
Norwalk at Webster City

Carlisle at WSR
Spencer at Winterset

Burlington at Indianola
Fort Dodge at Lewis Central

Pod 1
  • Decorah at North Scott
  • Clear Creek Amana at Winterset
Pod 2
  • Burlington at Xavier
  • Norwalk at Webster City
Pod 3
  • Cedar Rapids Washington at Waverly-Shell Rock
  • Fort Dodge at Bondurant-Farrar
Pod 4
  • Carlisle at Indianola
  • Spencer at Lewis Central

interesting kidsilver--some good teams in 4a this year, lot of parity........i wonder why we have to wait a week to get the pairings....boone too lazy to stay an hour later????

interesting kidsilver--some good teams in 4a this year, lot of parity........i wonder why we have to wait a week to get the pairings....boone too lazy to stay an hour later????

Who waited a week for the 4A pairings?

Personally I think the state did a very good job with balancing seeding with geography. In the past that hasn’t been there case.

One more thing I wanted to mention - Pella missed out on the last at-large spot by .0002. That’s less than the benefit you get from one opponents’ opponents’ victory in the RPI.

So (for one example) if Marion had been able to hold on to their 21-15 4th quarter lead over Mason City, Pella would be in the playoffs instead of Carlisle. Every game can make a difference.

4a has some really good teams this year, be very interesting to see this play on, i suspect lewis central and indianola will have a rematch

Last edited:
i see 3a now...missed it

that is sort of a big surprise...i saw a video on north scott today, player interviews ,etc..i believe they thought they would win it all . got to be a tough loss for north scott

Yeah I'd say they would have been favorite to win it all... I am stunned. They played a weak schedule, so I expected there to be some closer games, but not knocked out in round 1.

Obviously after the fact and no discredit to Winterset, but CCA got screwed by the officials all night @ Winterset. I’m talking game-altering calls and no calls. Pretty frustrating to see this!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT