ADVERTISEMENT

Class 3A

Apr 22, 2021
Looking at SBL in district 1 they seem to be whooping everyone they play but only throw the ball a couple times a game. Can they win the whole thing being so one dimensional?

I think SBL is a good team, and they are in the same district as Heelan who made a run to the title game last year, but I really think that they would be 6th or 7th if there were betting odds for who is going to win the title. I think you have the WaMaC schools who are very solid, Wahlert, and Humboldt who are all ahead of SBL, I would also say Algona, but without their QB it will be tough.

I have to agree. They seem to have a good power run game going on this year. 400 yards against Heelan is impressive, but they aren't really built for smash mouth football. Their OLB is like 180lbs and just got crushed on the edge all night long. The big defenses who could match up with them this year seem to be all to the North Central or out East.

I would say that it's Williamsburg's title to lose at the moment. Especially being the defending champs. Rayce Heitman is unbelievable. I'm not sure there's anyone that can stop him. Solon even tried to bracket him and did a decent job by holding him to his lowest yardage of the year (55yds), but he still had 3 TDs. Even if you stop him, they just have so many weapons. Their only loss was to 4A Xavier 27-29 and it came down to the wire. They haven't scored less than 42 in any other game this season.

I think Humboldt, Wahlert, & Mt Vernon also have stout defenses who would make it tough on a team who doesn't pass. Mt Vernon gave Williamsburg all they could handle last year. And their only loss is to Solon 6-7 after throwing 3 interceptions in the redzone and missing a 2 pt conversion on a controversial call. I'd put my money on one of those two teams to win it all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT