ADVERTISEMENT

City High vs PV

qcgymrat

Freshman
Jun 20, 2005
I was at this game and it was a nailbiter for sure. I thought City High actually outplayed PV for much of the match beating them to the ball pretty regularly.

As for the foul resulting in the PK in the second OT, it was definitely a foul...trip from behind on a throw-in, it also was a difficult foul to call given the circumstances, virtually giving the Spartans the victory.

The bottom line is this, City High showed very well, they were much more physical than PV and had numerous chances to win the game. When you don't close the deal and give a referee an opportunity to decide the outcome you have to live with the result. It was embarrasing for City High's team for some of the players to surround the ref at the end of the game to complain and they even had a parent go out on to the field to protest the call...truly bad form!

The coach from City High easily had the worst vantage point on the field to view the call, his comments in the Iowa City Press-Citizen diminish his team's play on the pitch. DON'T let a ref decide the game, make the plays you need to make when the opportunities present themselves.

http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20090529/SPORTS010106/905290326/1026/SPORTS01/Whistle%20dooms%20City%20in%202nd%20OT?GID=TTXUw1t4xS7BaBJXB325grY6K+iciXAMJXSTOL6Jc2M%3D

I was also at the game. I did not see either of the overtimes. I know that the City High fans were complaining throughout the game about the calls. As a neutral observer, I thought the game was fairly called. City High came out more physical and got called for it. I agree that its unfortunate that the game was decided on a penalty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT