ADVERTISEMENT

CIML

So after three weeks I stand by my earlier prediction, the final four (depending on how the brackets are set) should come from the CIML (this coming from an Eastern observer). I haven’t seen what the top MVC schools have to offer (CF, CRP, CRK & ICW-although on hiatus) but there’s nobody in the MAC that can remain competitive beyond the first half against this year’s CIML top five.

So after three weeks I stand by my earlier prediction, the final four (depending on how the brackets are set) should come from the CIML (this coming from an Eastern observer). I haven’t seen what the top MVC schools have to offer (CF, CRP, CRK & ICW-although on hiatus) but there’s nobody in the MAC that can remain competitive beyond the first half against this year’s CIML top five.

I’m not so certain of that. I think all we know is all of the usual big boys (think all of Tier 1 from the old success model) have losses already except ICW, and as we know, ICW is done for at least a while, if not the rest of the season due to online only classes. Bett, CF, Dowling, Valley, and Centennial all have not looked up to their usually high standard. So far, all it looks like is the race is more wide open than it’s been in many years.

I’m not so certain of that. I think all we know is all of the usual big boys (think all of Tier 1 from the old success model) have losses already except ICW, and as we know, ICW is done for at least a while, if not the rest of the season due to online only classes. Bett, CF, Dowling, Valley, and Centennial all have not looked up to their usually high standard. So far, all it looks like is the race is more wide open than it’s been in many years.

centennial looks like they are not good, Valley can only be good if they magically get an offensive line, and everyone seems to forget Dowling almost never is dominating or undefeated. I looked back over their 7 year run to verify and they were only undefeated in 2013 and 2015 and those years had near misses like a 21-20 win over Urbandale in 2015. In 2018 they had 2 losses on their way to the title.

I will grant you there does appear to be more parity this year thus far. The question is whether it’s authentic or a temporary result of the Covid shutdown effects (i.e., many of the Tier 1 teams were unable to condition and meet during the spring/summer) and for many programs that time together may be what separates them.

What happened is they realized it looks like they were singling out one minority kid for no apparent reason, while others were allowed to transfer in from out of state without question.

What happened is they realized it looks like they were singling out one minority kid for no apparent reason, while others were allowed to transfer in from out of state without question.

Looks like IHSAA is reacting now, Valley's Rubley ruled ineligible yesterday and CCA's D1 transfer today, guessing Dowling's, SEP's and any others are today or tomorrow. What a mess.

Looks like IHSAA is reacting now, Valley's Rubley ruled ineligible yesterday and CCA's D1 transfer today, guessing Dowling's, SEP's and any others are today or tomorrow. What a mess.
Too bad this didn't happen about 4 weeks ago. Glad to see Boone showing some integrity (although belated).

It looks worse now. IHSAA should have just said they would allow a one time transfer for any kids coming from a program that is not currently offering football.
They wouldn't have set any precedent, just acknowledging that this is a unique and special year that requires some flexibility.
Now they have a real mess on their hands.
Guess they had better mail out all these appeal notices they are about to get, to be consistent.

Reactions: Reasoned
It looks worse now. IHSAA should have just said they would allow a one time transfer for any kids coming from a program that is not currently offering football.
They wouldn't have set any precedent, just acknowledging that this is a unique and special year that requires some flexibility.
Guess they had better mail out all these appeal notices they are about to get, to be consistent.
The only ones with a mess are the ones where the coaches dumped on their team by letting these strays play. For those coaches I have zero sympathy. For the strays that came I have zero sympathy. For the kids who worked their tails off only to have an interloper and a coach lacking morals fill their position I have sympathy. Hopefully they will still be able to salvage the remainder of their season.

Reactions: franky1967
Yeah, I don't get that mentality. And, calling high school kids 'strays' is pretty demeaning and insulting.
You are guaranteed nothing in this life. Just because you've been at school doesn't mean you are owed anything.
Underclassmen can join varsity and take a kids spot, someone can move to town, someone can get hurt, transfers can happen.
You either earn playing time or you don't based on if you are the best player available at that time.

Reactions: Fatwall jr
The only ones with a mess are the ones where the coaches dumped on their team by letting these strays play. For those coaches I have zero sympathy. For the strays that came I have zero sympathy. For the kids who worked their tails off only to have an interloper and a coach lacking morals fill their position I have sympathy. Hopefully they will still be able to salvage the remainder of their season.
No sympathy for kids who school and/or state refuses to let them play so they went and found another school/state to play at? They worked their tails off as well only to have so-called adults pull the rug out.

No sympathy for kids who school and/or state refuses to let them play so they went and found another school/state to play at? They worked their tails off as well only to have so-called adults pull the rug out.

Bottom line, now that all of the out of state transfers are being ruled ineligible, order can now be restored to where the only team that can benefit from all of this is Dowling Catholic Football.

How many of these kids were looking to double dip? Play fall ball here and then home next spring. I hope every one of these mutts had their home school decide to go ahead and play fall ball after all so the kid really just screwed themselves instead of finding a way to beat the system.

Last edited:
How many of this kids were looking to double dip? Play fall ball here and then home next spring. I hope every one of these mutts had their home school decide to go ahead and play fall ball after all so the kid really just screwed themselves instead of finding a way to beat the system.
Well Bruce is enrolling early at Iowa in January. Not sure about anyone else. If Bruce has other teammates up here they won’t be “double dipping” as their school has decided to play. Not sure all of them will be eligible in their home states. I didn’t research them since they were eligible here and are just now being ruled ineligible.

How many of these kids were looking to double dip? Play fall ball here and then home next spring. I hope every one of these mutts had their home school decide to go ahead and play fall ball after all so the kid really just screwed themselves instead of finding a way to beat the system.

You seem angry.

Your kid musta have been replaced by one of these kids for being mediocre or you’re just a homer trying to relive your high school fb dreams but remembered you were the water boy. Shut up and stop talking down on kids that were searching for an option to show off their skills they worked their whole life for.

Or they could've been proactive and sent out a release to all schools way back in the Summer encouraging them to not allow players to transfer solely because of football and that if they find that this is why those players transferred, then they would be ruled ineligible.

Instead, the Association sat back, listened to the news that players were transferring in, waited for them to start playing, and THEN was like, "Oh hey guys.....you're not suppose to do that, so, like.......you can't play. Sorry. Honestly we are........"

And to go off my post above, it'll be interesting to see how the Association deals with all player transfers going forward, be it they're out-of-state or, more importantly, in-state.....which has been a major talking point for decades.

It will be hard for them to go back to ignoring them after this aggressive move.
All those kids who transfer in the spring, so they can sit out and be ready for football at their new school?
Those are 'moves for football' and should face the same scrutiny moving forward I guess.

Yeah, I don't get that mentality. And, calling high school kids 'strays' is pretty demeaning and insulting.
You are guaranteed nothing in this life. Just because you've been at school doesn't mean you are owed anything.
Underclassmen can join varsity and take a kids spot, someone can move to town, someone can get hurt, transfers can happen.
You either earn playing time or you don't based on if you are the best player available at that time.
You are supposed to be guaranteed one thing in life.....if there are rules they are supposed to be followed (and enforced) by all.

Why do you think these stray mutts aren't playing and are getting ruled ineligible? They didn't adhere to the rules set in place. Particularly since legal representation has been obtained and Boone is still sticking to their guns it is safe to think that the association believes they are in the right on this and they feel there is a compelling case to support their ruling these kids ineligible. You don't think Boone also has lawyers to advise them how to handle this?

"Guaranteed nothing in life"...you are correct there and it goes both ways.... These interlopers may have been able to bend the rules anyway they wanted when they were at home but it doesn't guarantee that here....away from their home....that the rules won't apply to them. Maybe it's time for them to suck it up and head for home with their tails between their legs.

Glad Boone is cracking down on this crap.....who knows.....if they clean things up a little maybe we will start to see the participation rates move up instead of continuing down.

Last edited:
You are supposed to be guaranteed one thing in life.....if there are rules they are supposed to be followed (and enforced) by all.

Why do you think these stray mutts aren't playing and are getting ruled ineligible? They didn't adhere to the rules set in place. Particularly since legal representation has been obtained and Boone is still sticking to their guns it is safe to think that the association believes they are in the right on this and they feel there is a compelling case to support their ruling these kids ineligible. You don't think Boone also has lawyers to advise them how to handle this?

"Guaranteed nothing in life"...you are correct there and it goes both ways.... These interlopers may have been able to bend the rules anyway they wanted when they were at home but it doesn't guarantee that here....away from their home....that the rules won't apply to them. Maybe it's time for them to suck it up and head for home with their tails between their legs.

Glad Boone is cracking down on this crap.....who knows.....if they clean things up a little maybe we will start to see the participation rates move up instead of continuing down.
Why are you calling them mutts? They are kids, not dogs. You sound like an angry old man that probably works up in Boone with these idiots. It should be about the kids, especially during current times with covid. The kids are trying to follow the rules, they just want to play. Cheer a up a bit and start enjoying life a bit.

raw

Reactions: stickman80
Why are you calling them mutts? They are kids, not dogs. You sound like an angry old man that probably works up in Boone with these idiots. It should be about the kids, especially during current times with covid. The kids are trying to follow the rules, they just want to play. Cheer a up a bit and start enjoying life a bit.
You have a narrow mind. The word mutt has multiple meanings and does not have to be limited to dogs. A mutt is something which is not pure and is a product of multiple things. An athlete jumping around from different program to program can be considered a mutt. Here's another example. A career politician who jumps from race to race and even jumps between parties just because there is a race they want to be in but can't represent their party.....what do you think they are? Yup....they are a mutt too.

Am I angry? No....big miss on that one. I am actually glad Boone is showing some backbone and enforcing the rules they have in place.

You are right though .....these are kids. Not any athletes in there ready to sign a $500 million contract (although their parents probably think so) so it is nice that Boone is looking after everyone's interest and saying, " Perhaps kids should just be staying put unless it is a valid move not made just to get in a season of sports.....especially during a pandemic when there are more important things than a season of sports at stake and really moving around in itself could be an act endangering others.

I've had my share of issues with Boone in the past but this time they got it right......maybe they were a little slow on the uptake so these kids couldn't travel on to somewhere else but they did finally get it right.

You have a narrow mind. The word mutt has multiple meanings and does not have to be limited to dogs. A mutt is something which is not pure and is a product of multiple things. An athlete jumping around from different program to program can be considered a mutt. Here's another example. A career politician who jumps from race to race and even jumps between parties just because there is a race they want to be in but can't represent their party.....what do you think they are? Yup....they are a mutt too.

Am I angry? No....big miss on that one. I am actually glad Boone is showing some backbone and enforcing the rules they have in place.

You are right though .....these are kids. Not any athletes in there ready to sign a $500 million contract (although their parents probably think so) so it is nice that Boone is looking after everyone's interest and saying, " Perhaps kids should just be staying put unless it is a valid move not made just to get in a season of sports.....especially during a pandemic when there are more important things than a season of sports at stake and really moving around in itself could be an act endangering others.

I've had my share of issues with Boone in the past but this time they got it right......maybe they were a little slow on the uptake so these kids couldn't travel on to somewhere else but they did finally get it right.

The challenge with the situation is that they didn’t ‘get it right’ based on some principle. They got it right when they got involved legally. Bruce doesn’t go to court Rubley and others are still playing. Does it matter that the most visible cases are Rubley playing and Bruce not playing have different circumstances and denying one would ‘look bad’ in the world we live in now? They were forced to get it right, they handled this poorly from the start and continue to do so. Maybe Keating is angling for a job with the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT