ADVERTISEMENT

Changes Announced for 2018

For Immediate Release-- October 25, 2017

Boone, IA --The Iowa High School Athletic Association’s Board of Control voted to approve recommendations to adjust classification sizes for the 2018 and 2019 football seasons at Wednesday’s monthly meeting in Boone.

Using recommendations made by the IHSAA’s Classification Committee last month, the Board unanimously agreed to decrease the current number of schools in Classes 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A, and raise the enrollment cap for 8-Player programs.

“The classification committee comes in every other year and encompasses superintendents, principals and athletic directors from public and non-public schools along with schools with broad ranging enrollments. Their thoughtfulness and careful examination of the landscape of football in the state of Iowa lead to these recommendations,” said Todd Tharp, assistant director and football administrator for the IHSAA.

The changes will be implemented during the 2018-19 redistricting cycle. Based on six priorities established by the Classification Committee, class sizes are as follows: the top 42 schools according to the 2017-18 BEDS document will be in 4A, the next 54 schools in 3A, the next 54 schools in 2A, the next 54 schools in 1A, and the remainder of 11-player schools in A.

In the 2016-17 cycle, 4A had 48 schools and the planned sizes of 3A, 2A, and 1A included 56 schools.

The enrollment cap for schools to participate in 8-Player has been raised from 115 to 120 students, per the 2017-18 BEDS listing. There is still no minimum enrollment requirement for 11-player football.

These recommendations were made and approved with six priorities in mind, meant to benefit IHSAA football classifications for the next two years and in the future.

1. Improve competitive balance. The potential for more non-district games allows schools to schedule similarly competitive opponents.

2. Revitalize rivalry games.
An opportunity to play more non-class and non-district games means traditional rivalries between schools and communities may stay on the schedule.

3. Reduce non-district travel. Close proximity can increase attendance for home teams and limit travel expenses for road teams and their fans.

4. Potentially increase participation at all levels. More selective schedules may help slow the flow of underclassmen taking the field early in district contests, which can offer a safety and motivational benefit.

5. Trim enrollment gap in Class 4A. Addresses the trend of the state’s largest schools continuing to grow at faster rates than other districts.

6. Maintain six classes for at least two more years.
Changes were made to the classification structure, but five 11-player classes and one 8-player class will exist for another redistricting cycle.

The Board of Control agreed with the Classification Committee’s assessment that these adjustments would allow the IHSAA and their member schools to address their priorities before planning the next two football seasons, while also monitoring movement and interest at the A and 8-Player levels.

“These changes in classifications will allow schools to continue to evaluate their respective football programs and try and define what needs best fit their program,” Tharp said. “For some programs, the aspect of potentially playing more non-district opponents may lead to creating a more balanced schedule for them, potentially increasing student participation as schools, while others may attempt to challenge themselves with more competitive non-district games.”

The determination of districts per class and postseason qualifying methodology was not made by the Board or the Committee. The decision will be made in conjunction with the Iowa Football Coaches Association executive board, the Iowa High School Athletic Directors Association, and the IHSAA, with final recommendations coming from the football advisory committee after district football meetings are held.

“There will be opportunities to evaluate the number of districts and teams in a district,” Tharp said. “Obviously, with 54 teams in Classes 3A, 2A, and 1A, six-team districts will provide for a re-evaluation of the qualifying system and looking at other analytics to determine the qualification system.”

Also affected by the change to the 8-Player enrollment cap: Exceptions for schools attempting to classify for 8-Player football. The Board previously approved two exceptions for schools whose enrollments rose above 115 through the BEDS document. Only Exception No. 1 was kept through voting Wednesday, with the Classification Committee recommending its retention due to the cost of configuring football fields for the 8-Player game.

The first exception, as written: “An 8-Player football school whose current enrollment is 115 or less, and whose enrollment increases above 115 following the 2017 season, will be allowed 8-Player football status for an additional 2 years.”

---
Football’s postseason begins Friday, October 27, at 48 sites across the state of Iowa. Games in all six classifications are scheduled to kickoff at 7 p.m.

Four first round games can be viewed on the NFHS Network with an all-access viewing pass available for $9.99 per month. The games are: Lewis Central at Valley, West Des Moines; Cedar Falls vs. Prairie, Cedar Rapids at Wartburg College; Webster City at Pella; and Glenwood at Sergeant Bluff-Luton.

The Iowa High School Sports Network provides viewing opportunities of IHSAA championship events through NBC Sports Chicago, formerly known as Comcast SportsNet. IHSSN is now offering expanded options for semifinal and championship football games on multiple platforms, including: Sling TV (through a Sling Blue subscription), FuboTV, Playstation Vue, and Hulu, as well as its returning packages through DirecTV and DISH Network, and local cable subscribers around the state. Visit IHSSN.com for to select your best viewing options.

CONTACTS: IHSAA Assistant director Todd Tharp, ttharp@iahsaa.org; IHSAA Communications Director Chris Cuellar, ccuellar@iahsaa.org; IHSAA office: 515-432-2011.

The big question to me is will Iowa City Liberty be 3A or 4A, once they are a "full" high school they will be 4A, but next year they will still have a grade that does not have to come to liberty as they are still able to stay at Iowa City West if they want to.

If there are not big move ins or move outs by any schools 3A will gain

Mason City or Iowa City Liberty
Lewis Central
North Scott
Clinton
Waterloo East
Western Dubuque
Newton

3A will lose
Creston
Algona
Vinton
Iowa Falls
Atlantic
Assumption
Spirit Lake
Atlantic
West Burlington or Benton (depending on Danville)

I've also heard that CAL may go with Hampton Dumont for all athletics which would put them close to 3A

These numbers come from last years BEDS document looking at 8th grade through 10th grade, so they could change a little bit, this years will come out in about a month

Also if they do 54 teams I am guessing 6 team districts which makes it easier on the corners of the state to district, although there are still some issues in western Iowa with districting

Last edited:
I do not see this as great, but I do see it as an improvement. 4A could be made even smaller (32, 24 teams.....) and continue sliding into and out of 3A, 2A.....

The concern I see is going to be with playoffs. 54 teams seems to mean what? 9 districts of 6? 6 districts of 9 and only 1 non-district game? (No way). Either way, your playoffs are going to be odd with 6 district champs and 10 wildcards? Elsewhere I saw a prediction of 32 into the playoffs with shorter regular season.

So 2 4A state qualifiers (north scott and cblc) drop to 3A to make it more competitve? 3A and 2A are probably the most competitve the state has...
I agree, 4A may be even more watered down losing quality teams like North Scott, Lewis Central, and Newton.

I do not see this as great, but I do see it as an improvement. 4A could be made even smaller (32, 24 teams.....) and continue sliding into and out of 3A, 2A.....

The concern I see is going to be with playoffs. 54 teams seems to mean what? 9 districts of 6? 6 districts of 9 and only 1 non-district game? (No way). Either way, your playoffs are going to be odd with 6 district champs and 10 wildcards? Elsewhere I saw a prediction of 32 into the playoffs with shorter regular season.

With the state saying the primary justifications for the changes are to provide more non-district games, the only logical setup would be 9 districts of 6 teams. That means, probably, 9 district champions plus 7 wild cards for playoff qualifiers.

I don't personally think 5 district games does enough to sort out districts - that's what 4A has been doing for a while, and this year (for example) there's a 5-4 team in the playoffs and a 7-2 team staying home, so ...

Should the state go to 32 or 24 playoff teams, that's another story, but we've been over the problems that either of those numbers bring. The state has always hated the idea of byes, and the only way to get another round of playoff games without playing them less than a week apart is to start everyone on Week 0 in mid-August.

That said, a playoff with 9 district champions and 7 wild cards would probably be better than the current 4A system of 8 6-team districts with just the top 2 per district getting in.

I think that base on the 2016 and 2017 BEDS which they are not using. That if the they did use it but their using the 2017-2018 BEDS we will have to wait until that comes out.

Oh, yeah, we're all just guessing about which schools get moved around until the new BEDS come out. Not to mention if there's new sharing agreements for next year - that can elevate some unexpected programs up a class. Anything you see now is purely hypothetical with what we know now.

That said, it's a pretty fair bet that Lewis Central, Clinton, Waterloo East, North Scott, Western Dubuque, and Newton will be in 3A for 2018-19. Then it depends on where Liberty goes; if they happen to have a high enough number to make 4A, it could be Mason City or it might be DM Hoover or even maybe Indianola or Burlington falling to 3A ... just depends on how the new BEDS shake out.

3A will almost certainly lose Spirit Lake, Davenport Assumption, Greene County, and Atlantic, and it's a pretty good bet that Iowa Falls-Alden, North Polk, and Vinton-Shellsburg drop too. If Danville doesn't share with West Burlington/Notre Dame, WBND is out as well.

But again, it all depends on what the new BEDS numbers will be. We're all just speculating here. Like we always do!

KidSilver: In that list of schools, Assumption is the most interesting to me. It was forever for Xavier, Wahlert and Assumption to go down to 3A and force the MVC into changing rules. I could see Assumption choosing to play up in 3A or going on down to 2A,

If the state wants to change something, for safety, make cut blocking illegal.
Amen to that. I only played through my freshman year, which I regret sometimes. But when I consider how many times I was cut and the number of knee sprains, strains and twists - it was probably for the better. As it stands now, I probably only have my meniscus left, everything else in my left knee grinds and cracks.

KidSilver: In that list of schools, Assumption is the most interesting to me. It was forever for Xavier, Wahlert and Assumption to go down to 3A and force the MVC into changing rules. I could see Assumption choosing to play up in 3A or going on down to 2A,
This is why IL uses the 1.6x enrollment factor for determining class for private schools, it's an attempt to mitigate their...shall we say, comparatively high (for whatever reason;) student athlete to general enrollment ratio vs public schools.

Reactions: freeways
This is why IL uses the 1.6x enrollment factor for determining class for private schools, it's an attempt to mitigate their...shall we say, comparatively high (for whatever reason;) student athlete to general enrollment ratio vs public schools.

Illinois’ multiplier applies to all un-boundried schools, both private and public magnet schools. Iowa has open enrollment, so all schools are technically un-boundaried.

No they don't.

If true, does anyone know if any school district did not agree with a particular student leaving their school to open enroll?

It's usually not the school which is losing a student, unless they missed a deadline or something, usually if a student is denied it is by the school gaining a student, and most of the time that has to do with a student coming with discipline issues.

If true, does anyone know if any school district did not agree with a particular student leaving their school to open enroll?
Well, I know of a larger IA city with several HS districts within it which will allow open enrollment between city schools but will use additional criteria to determine if it will "release" the student who wishes to open enroll to an adjacent city district.

Proof they dont follow those criteria? Or just heresay? Again, both schools must agree on the open enrollment or it doesnt happen. Now if a student moves into a district, that school must take the student, private schools dont have a district so they dont have to take a student (especially if said student is full of trouble).

My school shut open enrollment down for several grades.

A very general set of criteria to deny a request is a lack of classroom space or if a school is part of a desegregation plan. Expelled students can't participate either. Schools have to have defined plans on their classroom space already in place. So if a kid files on time and there is available space in the receiving school there isn't much that can be done to stop the process.

I don't know much about the technical ins-and-outs of the rules (Cidhawkeye seems to). But here in the northeast I do KNOW that Des Moines told DBQ public schools to knock off the open enrollment into senior for basketball. There was some concern expressed by Valley AD's when Senior started getting 3 or so transfers a year for basketball. So someone can dial back the numbers.

Did you read the article? The part where it mentions private schools and other public schools without boundaries? 180 schools in Illinois get the multiplier. Not all of them private.
Uh yeah...I read it, hence the purpose of posting it supports the original point. The IL multiplier was the "solution" to a complaint from a public school football coach, who was tired of getting beat by a Catholic school of similar enrollment, who he believed 'gasp' recruited.

Now, are all private schools...no. From the article: ..."But the biggest group among the non-boundary schools are the Catholic high schools from around the state..."

Uh yeah...I read it, hence the purpose of posting it supports the original point. The IL multiplier was the "solution" to a complaint from a public school football coach, who was tired of getting beat by a Catholic school of similar enrollment, who he believed 'gasp' recruited.

Now, are all private schools...no. From the article: ..."But the biggest group among the non-boundary schools are the Catholic high schools from around the state..."

So not just private schools as it was presented originally? You knew what it was but you went with the intentionally misleading post.

FYI schools that have the multiplier in Illinois are split about 60% private 40% public.

Look, I'm not going to argue with you about whether the sun rises in the east. My original post was in no way "intentionally misleading". Fact, IL has a multiplier for athletic classifications primarily because a football coach (who happened to be on the IHSA Football Advisory Committee) expressed concern over the domination of a Catholic school in his class. I'm not condoning or advocating this in IA but it is the way IL has addressed the issue...as stated in my post.

Look, I'm not going to argue with you about whether the sun rises in the east. My original post was in no way "intentionally misleading". Fact, IL has a multiplier for athletic classifications primarily because a football coach (who happened to be on the IHSA Football Advisory Committee) expressed concern over the domination of a Catholic school in his class. I'm not condoning or advocating this in IA but it is the way IL has addressed the issue...as stated in my post.

That is a very powerful individual. Whether you were intentionally misleading or not it was misleading. 40% of the schools impacted by the multiplier are public schools, yes there is frustration with private schools in many states. People like to throw the 'multiplier' answer out there without knowing if it has achieved it's desired goal or not. Unfortunately I lumped you in with that group of people. You don't seem to be that type. My apologies on doing that.

It's usually not the school which is losing a student, unless they missed a deadline or something, usually if a student is denied it is by the school gaining a student, and most of the time that has to do with a student coming with discipline issues.
To the point made earlier, Waterloo is one school district that basically won't allow kids to leave the district to open enroll.

That is a very powerful individual. Whether you were intentionally misleading or not it was misleading. 40% of the schools impacted by the multiplier are public schools, yes there is frustration with private schools in many states. People like to throw the 'multiplier' answer out there without knowing if it has achieved it's desired goal or not. Unfortunately I lumped you in with that group of people. You don't seem to be that type. My apologies on doing that.
I'm not and I appreciate that. Originally the state (IL) was considering 2x enrollment vs 1.65x. Needless to say, public schools were/are on board with the multiplier and it's intended effect is open for debate. As for IA, since we don't have a comparable to the Chicago Catholic League (there's Dowling and they're already in the largest class and should they repeat again, I might recommend they move to 5A :D). As for a school like Assumption, who as recent as what...4 years ago, when there was still the MAC for football, competed as a 4A school (and I'm probably correct in saying their gate suffered when they dropped to a 3A and went into a district with few local schools and decreased enrollment). Now, with the new proposed enrollment cutoff for 3A, they might end up as a 2A school!

Last edited:
It sure appears to me that the men in Boone didn't do enough research and statistical data programming. Perhaps they did have some of the coaches from high schools on board with discussion input - perhaps not, it seems they did not, however, run diagnostics of various probables. As long as alleged "student athlete" recruiting keeps happening, well - it makes outsiders wonder about the value and end result for those doing the recruiting (alleged recruiting).

It sure appears to me that the men in Boone didn't do enough research and statistical data programming. Perhaps they did have some of the coaches from high schools on board with discussion input - perhaps not, it seems they did not, however, run diagnostics of various probables. As long as alleged "student athlete" recruiting keeps happening, well - it makes outsiders wonder about the value and end result for those doing the recruiting (alleged recruiting).

As long as people recognize the power of open enrollment and how pervasive the pursuit of those kids are for public schools I am good with the discussion. My kids played at a 2A/1A level and I was approached about them attending the 4A public school their Aunts attended and for them to play football there.

All excellent points of discussion and at the end of the day it's the parent(s)/guardian who ends up making the final decision. They can choose to focus on what's in the best interest of their child's future or HS athletics. They may end up being the same school but I have witnessed first hand both open enrollment decisions and transfers to a parochial school based solely on athletics.

All excellent points of discussion and at the end of the day it's the parent(s)/guardian who ends up making the final decision. They can choose to focus on what's in the best interest of their child's future or HS athletics. They may end up being the same school but I have witnessed first hand both open enrollment decisions and transfers to a parochial school based solely on athletics.

That was never going to be the basis of my decision. Sports are just sports. Have you not seen kids transfer to public schools for the wrong reasons as well? Or is it just to parochial school? I watched a kid leave a parochial school because he didn't like the coach... the next year the public school hired the coach the kid didn't like and he transferred back. Misguided decisions.

Yes, that's why I said... "They may end up being the same school (i.e., academics & athletics) but I have witnessed first hand both open enrollment decisions (public schools) and transfers to a parochial school based solely on athletics."
Sorry, guess I wasn't real clear. We're in agreement I think, way too much emphasis on the athletic component, especially when you consider what...possibly a dozen or two in the entire state will receive an athletic scholarship for football...and most will not be at their ideal D1 program.

Not arguing for or against a multiplier, but they have done little to reduce the number of state titles and appearances by private schools in the states that utilize them. The same powerhouse programs continue to rise to the top in higher classifications.

Not arguing for or against a multiplier, but they have done little to reduce the number of state titles and appearances by private schools in the states that utilize them. The same powerhouse programs continue to rise to the top in higher classifications.

No need for a multiplier. Privates need to be playing separate from Public schools. Divide them into 2 classes, Big and Small and left them have their own playoffs.

No need for a multiplier. Privates need to be playing separate from Public schools. Divide them into 2 classes, Big and Small and left them have their own playoffs.
All ten of them?

Yes, I'm sure I understated the #...maybe :rolleyes:
Kidding aside, having an equivalent to the Chicago Catholic League in Iowa for all private schools just won't work, just as IL eventually folded those schools into their 8 classes for football (the addition of a multiplier later).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT