ADVERTISEMENT

Championship Picks

moondog24

Freshman
Oct 31, 2009
Here are mine:

5A: Iowa City West repeats in a close one over SE Polk
4A: Benton Community edges Xavier as Weekly makes the most of this year's opportunity.
3A: Assumption rolls over MOC (Assumption is possibly the best team in any class)
2A: Western Christian beats Lawton-Bronson in a high scoring affair.
1A: Newell-Fonda ekes out a close one over Central Lyon

What do you thnk?

Originally posted by moondog24:
Here are mine:

5A: Iowa City West repeats in a close one over SE Polk
4A: Benton Community edges Xavier as Weekly makes the most of this year's opportunity.
3A: Assumption rolls over MOC (Assumption is possibly the best team in any class)
2A: Western Christian beats Lawton-Bronson in a high scoring affair.
1A: Newell-Fonda ekes out a close one over Central Lyon

What do you thnk?
moondog I like your pics. I think Heelen could be a factor in 4A as well.

Re: Championship Picks (Revised)

1A--Still have Newell-Fonda over Central Lyon in a close one.
2A--Sticking with Western Christian over Lawton-Bronson
3A--Assumption rolls over upset-minded ELC
4A--I had Benton over Xavier, looks like I will give the nod to Xavier over a gritty Harlan club.
5A--I had ICW defending their title over SEP -- now I favor the Mohawks of Mason City over Ankeny.

Western Iowa has some excellent teams -- especially in the smaller classes. What are the main reasons for this superiority?

I can only speak for SE Iowa but it was way down this year and I have no idea why.

Assumption is an awesome 3A team; last season they were the only team to defeat 4A champ IC West. However, SEP did defeat Assumption this year by nearly 20 points so I disagree about them being the best team of any class.

(Jan.19, 2013: SEP 68, Assumption 50, to be exact)
This post was edited on 3/3 9:23 PM by hawkod

Too bad there is not a "grand championship" held -- if there were only 4 classes, this could easily be done. Run the regular tournament on M-F and have the final 4 semi on late Sat morning and the grand championship on Saturday evening. I realize SEP beat DA earlier in the season but Ankeny beat SEP by 19 in Dec so who is to say that SEP beats DA now. Would rather see it played out on the court. 5 classes are too many.

Originally posted by bigfridaynite:
I can only speak for SE Iowa but it was way down this year and I have no idea why.
The same around my area of east central Iowa. I am an old time Wamac person, and the Wamac with a few exceptions over the past couple years, being primarily Benton, Williamsburg and now Center Point, has had a level of mediocrity for the past 3 or 4 years. This year out of all the teams in the Wamac only one made it to state in the two classes. I am not sure of the reason either, combination of coaching with less girls participating? Or conflicts with other sports. All I know is I have seen primarily some mediocre games and alot of just plain old bad games.

I think they need to go to 6 classes because i think it is unfair that Wahlert,Xavier and Heelan are in the same class and ended up in same bracket.

Do you think there are enough Private school in Iowa to make that work? I'm not sure there are enough schools and there is too large a size difference between Dowling (the Biggest) and say IC Regina (somewhere in the middle)

How about you find ways to get parents involved in athletics and ACADEMICS of their kids. The biggest difference in the private schools is parental involvement, teacher accountability, and administrative support for education, participation, teacher support, parental encouragement, etc... But the bulk of this issue starts with the parents. To many parents don't care and don't get involved in the lives of their kids. They don't encourage them to do their best. They don't put ground rules in place to ensure the kids aren't out all hours of the day and night. They don't meet with the teacher to even hear how their child is doing. The parents don't care, and the kids see the parents don't care, and so the kids don't care.

I agree with most of what you are saying but its just not that easy for single parents that have to work 2 jobs ect... and I don't know the facts but it is a high percentage of kids that don't come from a high level of income homes and times have change so much that this gets over looked a lot.
When you live in a real 3a or 4a town you just dont get the corporate sponsorship help that the larger cities get to help there teams and high paying jobs.
This post was edited on 3/5 10:55 AM by bigfridaynite

Originally posted by bigfridaynite:

I agree with most of what you are saying but its just not that easy for single parents that have to work 2 jobs ect... and I don't know the facts but it is a high percentage of kids that don't come from a high level of income home and times have change so much that this gets over looked a lot.
So you are going to punish the kids whose parent's have made good life choices, live together, and have respect for their family? I am not trying to judge the circumstances of anyone that ends up in single parent homes or anything, but why do we punish families that have two parents? Why do we want to punish kids that come from good homes just to make life "fair" for the other kids? It's an advantage they have, but it isn't something we as a society should try to smooth out for them.

I can not disagree with some of the points you brought up.I do know something has change in girls BB and i'm not saying I got the answer thats for sure.
What precentage of the schools that have girls BB is private and what percenrage of that was in the semi Finals?

Ankeny did defeat SEP by 19 on December 7, BUT Assumption game was 6 weeks later on January 19th. SEP beat Ankeny at Ankeny 45-22 6 days later on January 25th so your implied suggestion that SEP was playing better earlier in the season doesn't make sense. They actually were struggling with a new coach and modified system this season and were playing much better defensively at the end of the year. Not saying SEP would beat Assumption 100% of the time, but only facts that exist are the one game they played on the court.

Watched every 5A and 2A game in person this year and there was a marked difference in athleticism between those two classes this year. This is just what you'd expect statistically based on enrollments; always possible for a small school to hit the jackpot and have a collection of really talented girls, but it would be a very rare occurance for a 1A team to beat a 5A squad.

I agree with hawkod...

SEPs played 13 of their 25 games vs teams ranked in the top 8 (won 9 of them). 6 of their first 8 games of the season were vs the top 8. Opened the season ranked #1 but started out just 3-3. Went 17-2 the rest of the way. While ranked in the top 8 the entire season, they played 4 games vs teams that were ranked #1 at the time... and won 3 of the 4. Also played a #2 ranked team twice and won both of those. Defense only gave up an average of 34 points a game after the 3-3 start (39 per game at State).
All in all, a great season for the ladies from SEP and fist year coach Tracy Daily. Very deserving champions.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the 2012-13 Class 5A field or rankings. Caliber of competition no where near prior couple years. Not to nit pick you too hard RamFan but it's Dailey, not Daily. Five things come to my mind right off the bat for the 2013-14 season.
1) Powell
2) Hanson's
3) DeJong
4) Guess
5) no Ingle

Jeff's 2013-14 preseason picks seem fairly logical.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT