ADVERTISEMENT

Cedar Falls vs Dowling

franky1967

Varsity
Aug 9, 2006
Dowling 22-16
*Cedar Falls settles for 3 FG's
*Sam Gary TD Run.

Murray appears to be out of game for now.
However Dowling is moving on nicely so far as they scored to win the game.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the stands and cannot believe the UNI Dome is not full. I thought this would be standing room only.

In '99, the Cedar Falls/IC West game was standing room only. Probably still a record for attendance.

Dowling has been here so many times, there’s not a lot of novelty to the experience for them anymore. Their side is only half full, if that. CF side looks pretty well full.

Got me believing the Guy upstairs has chosen sides...that's for sure.

Most puzzling play calling I’ve ever seen from CF. Practically no downfield attempts to Logan Wolf all night. Nothing to Frericks either. This is right up there with Iowa not utilizing Noah Fant. You got height mismatches all over the field, but you don’t use them?! Very puzzling play calling. Reminds me of the 2005 Championship game and little use of 6’7” TE Schuyler Oordt.

I can't wait to hear how the referees cheated for Dowling in this one.

Here's my take of the game...

1). Dowling was definitely the more complete team. Literally surged backed without their best offensive weapon. Very resilient. Very impressive.

2). CF's coaching staff was scared to death. Terribly conservative. The game was to big for them and it unfortunately rubbed off on the kids. Remmert ended up being the best player on Dowling in the second half. LOL.

3). You have the best receiver in the state and you continually line him up on the outside, why wasn't he lining up in the slot? Why did they continue to run the ball to Gary....time and time again? It's a travesty that the coaching had play scared. I definitely feel for the kids.

4). I noticed that CF seemed to be playing with a chip on their shoulders. Multiple times I saw Wolf/Wolfe spout off at the mouth when he made a routine play. I saw multiple times when a kid would get tackled and Dowling would roll over them CF would be immediately be pushing them off. Play the game and save the talk....you look idiotic.

5). CF's kicker is an absolute stud. Hopefully Iowa or Iowa State wrap this kid up.

1). Dowling was definitely the more complete team. Literally surged backed without their best offensive weapon. Very resilient. Very impressive.

2). CF's coaching staff was scared to death. Terribly conservative. The game was to big for them and it unfortunately rubbed off on the kids. Remmert ended up being the best player on Dowling in the second half. LOL.

3). You have the best receiver in the state and you continually line him up on the outside, why wasn't he lining up in the slot? Why did they continue to run the ball to Gary....time and time again? It's a travesty that the coaching had play scared. I definitely feel for the kids.

4). I noticed that CF seemed to be playing with a chip on their shoulders. Multiple times I saw Wolf/Wolfe spout off at the mouth when he made a routine play. I saw multiple times when a kid would get tackled and Dowling would roll over them CF would be immediately be pushing them off. Play the game and save the talk....you look idiotic.

5). CF's kicker is an absolute stud. Hopefully Iowa or Iowa State wrap this kid up.

I'd agree with some of this (minus the snide referee comment since it was nothing close to the Bett game hosing and disparaging the CF coaching staff as being "scared"). I think the momentum changer was clearly the muffed punt snap. It gave Dowling great field position and after TD it becomes a 16-14 game. Oddly, it was another punt error (the shanked kick) that gave Dowling great field position and took any wind left out of CF sails. CF was most definitely too conservative with play calling in the second half.

Last edited:
Took a while, but Dowling offensive line wore them out in the 4th. Bad special teams sure did help. Dowling defensive was very good after first quarter.

It was a pretty clean called game, quit trying to get someone to blame the refs. Cedar Falls had the game won and special teams made mistakes.

Dont ever call a coach out on this board, not sure why any idiot would do that. It was a well played game.

Im fact if you know so much about what Wolf, Gary and the Coaching staff should have been doing.

Then why Gator Bate, were you not down on the sidelines?

Hate to say it, but I said it earlier in the week. Play Wolf in the slot or they will bracket him all day long with a squat corner and a safety over the top. No deep balls to him from the outside position. Should have seen that when Dowling did it to the Porter kid from Bettendorf. I definitely thought they would have attacked Dowling the way Bettendorf did at times with the Tillman kid and the Bett TE isolating the middle linebacker, but I don't think the CF QB has the arm strength or quick release that the Bell kid does to fit those slot throws. Had a nice run game compliment going to take advantage of them bracketing Wolf, but couldn't sustain it enough and the QB wasn't athletic enough to add that component to the run game. After watching all 4 teams play, here's a few distinct observations:
Jack Campbell is a dude!
The Keough kid from Dowling is a terrific get for someone
Logan Wolf from CF is one smooth cat and will be a stud in college as he gets stronger
Bell from Bettendorf is the most athletic kid on the field and will be great at slot WR
Gavin Williams is absolutely terrific, can't wait to see what he becomes
The Tillman kid from Bettendorf is underrated

Most puzzling play calling I’ve ever seen from CF. Practically no downfield attempts to Logan Wolf all night. Nothing to Frericks either. This is right up there with Iowa not utilizing Noah Fant. You got height mismatches all over the field, but you don’t use them?! Very puzzling play calling. Reminds me of the 2005 Championship game and little use of 6’7” TE Schuyler Oordt.

Special Teams lost the game for Cedar Falls, that and I think CF should have stopped bringing the linebackers up and the dropping them back off.

The play calling at the end was questionable. They had time and should have worked the ball downfield as Dowling
Looked like they were going to give CF the yards.

Hate to say it, but I said it earlier in the week. Play Wolf in the slot or they will bracket him all day long with a squat corner and a safety over the top. No deep balls to him from the outside position. Should have seen that when Dowling did it to the Porter kid from Bettendorf. I definitely thought they would have attacked Dowling the way Bettendorf did at times with the Tillman kid and the Bett TE isolating the middle linebacker, but I don't think the CF QB has the arm strength or quick release that the Bell kid does to fit those slot throws. Had a nice run game compliment going to take advantage of them bracketing Wolf, but couldn't sustain it enough and the QB wasn't athletic enough to add that component to the run game. After watching all 4 teams play, here's a few distinct observations:
Jack Campbell is a dude!
The Keough kid from Dowling is a terrific get for someone
Logan Wolf from CF is one smooth cat and will be a stud in college as he gets stronger
Bell from Bettendorf is the most athletic kid on the field and will be great at slot WR
Gavin Williams is absolutely terrific, can't wait to see what he becomes
The Tillman kid from Bettendorf is underrated

I wouldnt say Loecher wad not athletic enough, just not experiencened enough or did not take off and run more when he had the chance.

The CF defense played well enough to win that game. Two short fields killed them. The real play of the game was the TD before halftime.

Reactions: franky1967
Against a team like Dowling, who has athletic LBs that close fast, things happen very quick and having a QB that can actually run and is a run threat is a huge advantage. Especially when they couldn't throw the ball effectively.

Valley, Bettendorf, and Cedar Falls in 3 straight weeks. Most impressive play off run I can remember. Congrats to Dowling.

I find it hard to believe that grown men would be "scared to death" in a high school football game.

I find it hard to believe that grown men would be "scared to death" in a high school football game.

It had to either be "scared to death" or plain ineptitude.

You have the lead in the State Title game and your best offense is multiple off tackle plays and designed QB runs? Remmert does realize that he has Wolf on the team....correct?

I realize it's high school football and no one wants to call out the Coach....but the 2nd half play calling out of CF was brutal to watch last night.

Again...kudos to Dowling for bringing yet another title back to the Metro.

Again, that was the puzzling thing to me to see...Dowling was pinning their ears back what few times CF dropped back to pass, yet not a single screen was called. They could have run some screens to Frericks all day long. Yet only one pass thrown his way all night.

gatorbait- not sure what you mean Dowling surged back to get the win. Dowling in the semi-final and the championship game were like pneumonia, just be there when the other team implodes or get an advantage by the ineptitude of other people. They absolutely did nothing to garner those opportunities other than have 11 guys on the field on defense or punt return. The backup RB did an adequate job (nothing spectacular) of managing the run game, heck he only averaged 4.3 a carry. Unfortunately, CF quit stunting their defensive line and switching gaps and tried to go toe to toe with Dowling's OL, which allowed Dowling to get 2 hats on Jack Campbell at times in the run game. Cap that all off with CF doing the same thing Bettendorf did in the 4th quarter, get very conservative and hope to run the clock out. I will continue to point that CF had one of the best kids in the state and "forgot" to get him the ball, never want to look at the box score and see that you didn't target your best player!!

Exactly why I compared CF’s not getting the ball to their playmakers in the same vein as Iowa not throwing the ball to Noah Fant. Players like that have unmatched physical skill, and you don’t use them?!o_O No doubt in my mind CF had the better players, but it was the Dowling coaches that coached like they’ve been there before, and called better plays. Remmert and company have made huge strides after the late Pat Mitchell retired and later passed away. You don’t replace a combined 200+ years of coaching experience overnight. Make no mistake, CF’s time is coming soon. They’ll learn from this, and they WILL win it soon. May not be next year with all the starters CF has to replace. But it will inevitably happen soon.

Last edited:
Interesting stat - CF passsing averages for year were. 11 for 18 for 160 yards.

Last night, 8 for 19 for 60 yards. Guess the CF staff didn’t “forget” the forward pass after all.

If holding a team 100 yards below their per game average on one more attempt isn’t making them 1 dimensional, I guess I don’t know what is. Glad we didn’t see the Air Raid offense that could have passed for 90 yards...

It's not the volume of throws, it's the concepts thrown. You can throw 40 times a game, but if those throws are not down the field and/or based on the coverage scheme you are seeing you will not accumulate any yardage. And believe me, Dowling is as easy as it gets to scheme against because they are so simplistic in their coverage schemes, but very well coached. The problem is most high school coaches, don't have a deep enough understanding of how to create the right matchups or formations/motions in the passing game to get their best players in advantageous matchups. They just do what they do because its simple and the players know it. Saw it with Bettendorf vs Dowling and then last night. It's exactly why I said move Wolf around in the slot to work against their middle linebacker. The worst pass defender on any defense except when Urlacher was with the Bears.

Conceptually, totally agree. Wolf was in the slot several times last night, not sure if that is new for CF or not. My point is even when in slot, Dowling scheme was to double him over the top. Dowling decided (and it worked out for them) that Wolf was not going to be to guy that beat them. He was effectively taken out of the game.

That's exactly my point, it's easy to double a guy when he is outside or a #2 in the formation like you said, with safety help over the top and it was pretty obvious last night that's what they were doing. Heck they did the same thing against the
Porter kid at Bettendorf all night long, which is why the Tillman kid and the Bett TE had some success in the middle of the field. Can't do that or it's hard to do when he motions or lines up as a #3 and is isolated on the middle linebacker with no over the top help. Most HS defense don't communicate well enough to handle that type of formation/motion adjustment.

The CF defense played extremely well. Drives of 14 yards and 42 yards with no first downs from the offense was too much. The passing TD is what put them in it. For the size difference, CF held their own enough up front. They did use stunts, but not enough.

The junior class for CF knows winning. Not last night, but they have been a strong group since freshman year. The sophomores have some players as well. There is no Campbell or Wolf yet, but there is a lot to look forward to, but replacing all but three starters will be a challenge.

Again, that was the puzzling thing to me to see...Dowling was pinning their ears back what few times CF dropped back to pass, yet not a single screen was called. They could have run some screens to Frericks all day long. Yet only one pass thrown his way all night.

They tried two to Frericks. One was incomplete under pressure and one was incomplete plus the ineligible downfield flag. Could have screened them to death

It was a pretty clean called game, quit trying to get someone to blame the refs. Cedar Falls had the game won and special teams made mistakes.

Dont ever call a coach out on this board, not sure why any idiot would do that. It was a well played game.

Im fact if you know so much about what Wolf, Gary and the Coaching staff should have been doing.

Then why Gator Bate, were you not down on the sidelines?

Remmert was only raised in a football coaching family and coached with Mitchell. Scared to death? How stupid can you get? Plus, if you knew the family resiliency this fall under trying circumstances, you would not say something so idiotic.

The old CF philosophy of ground and pound crept in and it wasn’t working. No first downs when needed and two bad snaps and that was enough....

Describing a coaching staff as successful as Cedar Falls' as scared to death is laughable. Most people have no idea what it takes to win a high school football game, let alone a state title. There is so much that goes into it. Saying things like "just throw Wolf the ball" is so simplistic and does not appreciate the type of nuance that football requires. Not to mention the fact that if Cedar Falls' long snapper has two good snaps this is probably a moot discussion.

They tried the TE over the middle screen 3 times and did not come close.

They should have tried Gary out of the Backfield, you are right

Interesting stat - CF passsing averages for year were. 11 for 18 for 160 yards.

Last night, 8 for 19 for 60 yards. Guess the CF staff didn’t “forget” the forward pass after all.

If holding a team 100 yards below their per game average on one more attempt isn’t making them 1 dimensional, I guess I don’t know what is. Glad we didn’t see the Air Raid offense that could have passed for 90 yards...

If you watched the game and it worked for the most part. CF kept Dowling offense off the field.

Im not sure it was the right way to go, but it worked until CF made mistakes.

Describing a coaching staff as successful as Cedar Falls' as scared to death is laughable. Most people have no idea what it takes to win a high school football game, let alone a state title. There is so much that goes into it. Saying things like "just throw Wolf the ball" is so simplistic and does not appreciate the type of nuance that football requires. Not to mention the fact that if Cedar Falls' long snapper has two good snaps this is probably a moot discussion.

One of the best lines I heard from a coach during my 4 years at the college level was....

"I have 3 legit playmakers on this team...if they don't get that ball....it's my fault."

Pretty simple.

One of the best lines I heard from a coach during my 4 years at the college level was....

"I have 3 legit playmakers on this team...if they don't get that ball....it's my fault."

Pretty simple.
Yes it's certainly true, you want to get your playmakers the ball. By that same token, if you're a defensive coordinator aren't you going to try to prevent the other team from getting the ball to their playmakers? Good defensive coordinators with good players are going to try to prevent that from happening like Dowling did Friday night. So it's not as simple as just get them the ball. There's a lot that goes into it. Could CF have done a better job getting Wolf involved? Perhaps, but that hardly means that the CF coaching staff was coaching scared as it was initially suggested

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT