ADVERTISEMENT

Boys Girls Double Headers

SEPRamFan

Freshman
Oct 12, 2007
In the CIML boys and girls varsity games are hosted by the same school. Girls play the 6:30 game, boys follow. JV and Freshman games are played prior to the girls varsity game. I believe both the MAC and the MVC play boys at home, girls away and vice versa. Can someone tell me why this is done? Seems to me it would kill attendance, especially for the girls games. And as a fan of the school, I would never get to see both teams play on the same night. What about parents with siblings on both the boys and girls teams? Can't be at 2 places at the same time. I can come up with lots of negatives for splitting the girls and boys games but there must be a reason why this is being done.

I was talking to an IC West parent a couple months ago and they indicated that they felt it hurts girls attendance. They couldn't tell me why it's done. From my experience in the CIML, we've had crowds of 3000+ at SEP for the girl's games for big matchups vs teams like Ankeny. That crowd then hangs around for the boys game as well. As a fan, I hope the CIML never makes this change and forces me to choose 1 team over the other.

I've wondered this as well. Glad the smaller schools still do it this way, definitely makes it better for community involvement.

Just a guess, but it's probably to make the varsity girls game more "important." I was at a school in Phoenix that did that. Hated it. Never got to see your own team, opposite gender, play, until the playoffs. It does split the crowd some, and parents have to split too if they have both a boy and a girl.

The MAC increased more B/G doubleheaders over the last couple of years - think there was at least five or six of them this past season. Not sure if they wil continue that trend.

I like going to watch games where both teams are playing back to back. I have always been a fan of the girls game, since that is what the good lord blessed me with primarily, but still go to some of the boys games. About 2 or 3 years ago I was lamenting on the quality of the games I was seeing playing in the Wamac to a friend, and he mentioned about coming to see North Linn play. I didnt realize they played back to back games so I almost missed the girls games. What I saw was larger crowds in proportion for the girls games, and it seemed more enthusiasm for the teams. I think this was due to the JV/Soph/freshman players in the stands, plus more parents. I end up now seeing probably more of the Tri-Rivers games during the season than others because of being able to see the two varsity teams playing.

MAC has done B/G doubleheaders for years. I think we had 4 of them this year. Problem for some schools is only having
one gym at HS and then you have people running all over to see multiple games. I don't think the MAC is worried about money.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT