ADVERTISEMENT

Best high school game you've seen.

Gamefly

Freshman
Oct 11, 2014
What is the best high school game you have attended? What made it great?

These were when st ansgar was class 1a.

Best I recall would be 2002 St. Ansgar vs Wapsie Valley. At the time St. Ansgar was starting to field a great team and one of head coach clevenger's earlier seasons. Back and forth game with St. Ansgar scoring two fourth quarter touchdowns, scored the first, then forced a quick 3 and out and scored the second very late in the game to take the lead. Wapsie Valley completed a long pass on the game's final play but was tackled before they reached the endzone. The complete game is on youtube.

Another great one would be the quarterfinal game between st ansgar and aplington parkersburg I think it was 2011. St ansgar looked like they scored a touchdown to take a two score lead late in the fourth but a fumble was ruled and AP recovered. Drive starting at the 1 yard line AP was marching down the field looking like they would score and win the game, but St Ansgar forced a fumble at about the 20 and recovered to seal the victory.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
1998 2A title game...West Lyon scored late to secure a 41-40 win over Dike-New Hartford. West Lyon jumped out to like a 21-0 lead or something and DNH came back and it was back and forth. Both teams had athletes all over. What a thrilling game it was.

Wapsie Valley and Madrid 2007 semi finals in the dome was insane. Madrid got up early 14-0 was going to take control and Wapsie picked off a pass and scored a few plays later on a long td score. Score at half was 14-14 and then 3rd quarter Wapsie took lead but missed extra point and then Madrid scores in the 4th making it 21-20. Madrid had a 3rd and short around 2 min left pretty sure in Wapsie territory and a false start backed them up 5 and next play gained like 5 back was all. Wapsie ended up going down the field 81 yards in 81 seconds for the win 28-21. That game is on the Wapsie Valley YouTube channel also if anyone would like to watch it. It’s commercial free if I remember right. It’s a game film

In person, 2010 title game North Tama beating Madrid 43-34, Madrid jump out early 20-0 behind one of the best lines I have ever seen in class A, North Tama was able to come back with some very creative play calling and was able to not win the line of scrimmage but but be completely dominated by Madrid, I believe their QB the Boerm kid had a triple triple 100 yards passing, rushing and receiving.

Wapsie Valley and Madrid 2007 semi finals in the dome was insane. Madrid got up early 14-0 was going to take control and Wapsie picked off a pass and scored a few plays later on a long td score. Score at half was 14-14 and then 3rd quarter Wapsie took lead but missed extra point and then Madrid scores in the 4th making it 21-20. Madrid had a 3rd and short around 2 min left pretty sure in Wapsie territory and a false start backed them up 5 and next play gained like 5 back was all. Wapsie ended up going down the field 81 yards in 81 seconds for the win 28-21. That game is on the Wapsie Valley YouTube channel also if anyone would like to watch it. It’s commercial free if I remember right. It’s a game film

This one for sure!! I was in a glass case of emotion that day

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
What is the best high school game you have attended? What made it great?

These were when st ansgar was class 1a.

Best I recall would be 2002 St. Ansgar vs Wapsie Valley. At the time St. Ansgar was starting to field a great team and one of head coach clevenger's earlier seasons. Back and forth game with St. Ansgar scoring two fourth quarter touchdowns, scored the first, then forced a quick 3 and out and scored the second very late in the game to take the lead. Wapsie Valley completed a long pass on the game's final play but was tackled before they reached the endzone. The complete game is on youtube.

Another great one would be the quarterfinal game between st ansgar and aplington parkersburg I think it was 2011. St ansgar looked like they scored a touchdown to take a two score lead late in the fourth but a fumble was ruled and AP recovered. Drive starting at the 1 yard line AP was marching down the field looking like they would score and win the game, but St Ansgar forced a fumble at about the 20 and recovered to seal the victory.

That was a fun game to play in.

I haven't been back in the area long but for me, in 8-Man anyway, it was the 42-38 come from behind win for MMC at Newell Fonda in 2013. Northwest Iowa was stacked that year in 8 man with all of (14-0) MMC's close games being to NWI opponents.

Might have been 2006 or 2007? Anybody recall the playoff game between Postville & Wapsie Valley at Postville? I always remember that as being one of the best I've seen...talk about a stacked district that year.
It was 2006 but what postville Wapsie game are you talking about? They both were crazy games with crazy endings. Was it regular season or playoffs on the one you are thinking about?

Playoff game, did not see the other one.
Yup that game was crazy, the regular season one was about the same but opposite. In the regular season game Wapsie came back from 14 down where postville made a come back in the playoff game. The regular season game is on YouTube if you would like to watch how nuts that one was. Just search Wapsie postville 2006

1992--Bettendorf 31, City High 28, Tavian vs. Timmy. So much hype, there was no way it could live up to it...but it did.

Reactions: jandj
In person, 2010 title game North Tama beating Madrid 43-34, Madrid jump out early 20-0 behind one of the best lines I have ever seen in class A, North Tama was able to come back with some very creative play calling and was able to not win the line of scrimmage but but be completely dominated by Madrid, I believe their QB the Boerm kid had a triple triple 100 yards passing, rushing and receiving.

Not sure on yardage (sounds right), but I do know he had 6 total TD's--2 TD's passing, rushing and receiving. I wonder how often that's ever been done, let alone a state championship game.

With the high school football season beginning Friday, I thought it would be fun to give this thread a bump. What games would you add to the list?

Mine will be Xavier-centric, having followed the program since 2006 and broadcasting their games since 2010. In chronological order:

2006: The 4A semifinal game vs Bettendorf. Tied 14-14 late, in a very physical game, Xavier stopped a Bett drive and forced a field goal attempt. Somehow, even though a Saint rusher got a hand on the kick, roughing the kicker was called and the Bulldogs kept the ball, driving down to the 1 with less than a minute to play. Incredibly, Xavier forced a fumble, which bounced into the arms of David Drahozal, who returned it all the way for a stunning 21-14 victory. Xavier went on to defeat Southeast Polk for the 4A title.

2010: Xavier at City High, Week 4. The Little Hawks were undefeated 4A state champions in 2009, ending Xavier’s season in the semifinals, and they were stacked once again (they wouldn’t lose until an overtime thriller in the 2010 title game to Dowling). Xavier kept it close, stayed neck and neck with City High, and finally punched in a score with (I think) less than a minute left to go ahead 24-23. City High got great field position on the kickoff, used the clock perfectly, and freshman Drew Cornwell booted a game-winning field goal as time expired for a 26-24 City High win. (This one is also memorable to me as my very first live radio game broadcast; the previous 3 games had been tape-delayed because of baseball coverage.)

2015: Xavier, in their second year as a 3A school after districts blew up the MVC and the MAC, played at Iowa City Regina. Regina (with Drew Cook at QB) had beaten Xavier in a good game the year before, and roared out to a huge four-TD lead at halftime. The script flipped in the second half (helped with an injury to one of Regina’s big guns) and the Saints tied it up at 35 late. Regina was driving for what looked like a winning score, but the Saints got a huge interception, made a couple of big plays to get in position, and Dallas Klein drilled the game-winning field goal as the clock ran out.

2016: 3A semifinal vs Pella. The Dutch had won the state title the last two seasons, and were going for a third straight undefeated season. Xavier was also undefeated, with a 18-1 record over the 2015-16 seasons. This was an epic battle, with the Saints kicking game being the difference and late field goals putting Xavier ahead 30-28. Pella had time for one last drive, and they made it count, including a crucial 3rd and long where the QB somehow evaded an imminent sack, flung the ball down the sideline, and converted in Xavier territory. Pella connected on a TD pass as time ran out to win 34-30.

Reactions: mylameusername
Mine will be Xavier-centric, having followed the program since 2006 and broadcasting their games since 2010. In chronological order:

2016: 3A semifinal vs Pella. The Dutch had won the state title the last two seasons, and were going for a third straight undefeated season. Xavier was also undefeated, with a 18-1 record over the 2015-16 seasons. This was an epic battle, with the Saints kicking game being the difference and late field goals putting Xavier ahead 30-28. Pella had time for one last drive, and they made it count, including a crucial 3rd and long where the QB somehow evaded an imminent sack, flung the ball down the sideline, and converted in Xavier territory. Pella connected on a TD pass as time ran out to win 34-30.

The 2016 game you reference was the one I was thinking about when reading this thread. Glad you mentioned it. That game was crazy -- and the ending, extremely improbable. The last Pella drive connecting on the sideline pass and then the TD as time ran out was just nuts.

I might not be remembering things that well, but didn't Xavier & Pella meet in the championship game the very next year or soon after? Xavier got the best of Pella that night, pretty much throttled them.

It does seem like Xavier and Pella have had some pretty good match ups though.

Bettendorf v. Dowling.
Semifinal game 2018. 4 OT thriller
I watched the end of that game last night on the iahsaa app. I'm now more convinced they need to do something to have at least some sort of replay review for situations like this once teams reach the dome.

I think they made the right call in this case that he was stopped short but it was extremely close. Also, not sure a camera angle could have given a good enough angle to see the ball and when the runner was down to make a definitive decision. On this play.

The 2016 game you reference was the one I was thinking about when reading this thread. Glad you mentioned it. That game was crazy -- and the ending, extremely improbable. The last Pella drive connecting on the sideline pass and then the TD as time ran out was just nuts.

I might not be remembering things that well, but didn't Xavier & Pella meet in the championship game the very next year or soon after? Xavier got the best of Pella that night, pretty much throttled them.

It does seem like Xavier and Pella have had some pretty good match ups though.

Even crazier about that 2016 game that I didn’t remember until I rechecked my notes - Xavier got an interception after going up 30-28 and could have iced the game with a first down. Pella‘s defense didn’t budge, though, and that gave them one final possession.

Xavier did beat Pella in the 2017 3A title game, yes, and while it was close early the final score was 31-13. They met again the next year in a second-round game at Xavier, which the Saints barely hung on to win 14-6. Pella had the ball inside the 5 at the end of the game with several shots to tie it up, but thry couldn’t punch it in.

It’s crazy to realize these two programs are sharing a district this year and next - the Gazette’s preseason 4A rankings has CR Wash tied for 4th in the state, Xavier tied for 6th, and Pella 8th. They’re all in the same district!

2017 Fort Dodge vs. Newton. Newton won 71-70. Fort Dodge went for 2 after scoring touchdown in final seconds. Newton was up 63-49 as the 4th quarter started. Was wild. Freshman opener won by Fort Dodge 43-42 on a 2-point conversion in final seconds.

WIlliamsburg vs Emmettsburgh basically Baethke vs Strube it was like watching a boxing match
Emmetsburg vs Central Lyon and Mike Klinkenborg that same year was a war too. Williamsburg and Central were ranked #1 all year depending on the poll. Only loss for both in the playoffs. Twait's last season coaching HS.

AP vs DNH in 2012. 36-35 in 2OT, AP got stuffed going for 2 to win it. Incredible game and atmosphere

2003 3A State Championship

Mt Vernon vs Harlan

Harlan started with a 17-0 lead. MV scored 35 unanswered to go up 35-17 and Harlan scored the last 21 to win 38-35

Yup that game was crazy, the regular season one was about the same but opposite. In the regular season game Wapsie came back from 14 down where postville made a come back in the playoff game. The regular season game is on YouTube if you would like to watch how nuts that one was. Just search Wapsie postville 2006
I was a junior on the Valley (Elgin) team in 2006... we weren't terrible (4-5) that year, but we looked like it compared to the WV and Postville teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT