ADVERTISEMENT

Bank, Builders Dubuque- Area Sports Preview

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
On Tuesday, October 8 at the Holiday Inn in Dubuque Gary Dolphin emceed the annual Bank and Builders high school basketball preview before a packed house. Dolphin previewed U. of Iowa basketball and the five area coaches gave their predictions for their teams and conferences.

East Dubuque went 31-2 last year and was ranked #1 in Illinois Class A for awhile. They are rebuilding.

The other schools whose coaches previewed their teams are all in the Mississippi Valley Conference.
Western Dubuque's second-year coach hopes for a first division finish in the MVC this year, with a host of returnees. His main hope is that his multi-sport athletes will survive the football season and playoffs without serious injuries.

Curt Deutsch at Dubuque Hempstead saw the graduation of four starters, but they do return Michael Duax, a 6-5 junior, who may be the best of the long string of Duax boys. Several young players will have to step up off a good JV and soph teams.

Tom English of Dubuque Wahlert returns the most veterans of the city's teams, with four seasoned players, two of whom are three-year starters. Two are getting serious looks and offers from mid-size and small colleges-- Cael Schmitt and Jacob Schockemoehl. Isaac Ripley was a regular forward-guard last year and Lucas Topping at 6-5 was a starter at year's end. Nick Bandy, an undersized leaper rounds out their top five, at this point. Wahlert beat Hempstead twice, split with Western Dubuque and played Senior to a two-point game at Wahlert with a minute to go, so there is optimism in the Eagles camp for a chance to return to state.

At Dubuque Senior, which played Cedar Falls for the 4A state title last year, four veteran players graduated, topped by Noah Carter (UNI), but Coach Wendell Eimers has several seasoned returnees including the starting point guard Medinger, 6-5 Bonifas, some cat-quick guards like Dequan Lewis, plus considerable talent off a 17-1 sophomore team that was first in the MVC. Coach Eimers, along with the other local coaches says that the teams to beat in the powerful 16-team MVC are Iowa City West and Cedar Falls, with a strong contingent of other teams nipping at their heels.

Last edited:
On Tuesday, October 8 at the Holiday Inn in Dubuque Gary Dolphin emceed the annual Bank and Builders high school basketball preview before a packed house. Dolphin previewed U. of Iowa basketball and the five area coaches gave their predictions for their teams and conferences.

East Dubuque went 31-2 last year and was ranked #1 in Illinois Class A for awhile. They are rebuilding.

The other schools whose coaches previewed their teams are all in the Mississippi Valley Conference.
Western Dubuque's second-year coach hopes for a first division finish in the MVC this year, with a host of returnees. His main hope is that his multi-sport athletes will survive the football season and playoffs without serious injuries.

Curt Deutsch at Dubuque Hempstead saw the graduation of four starters, but they do return Michael Duax, a 6-5 junior, who may be the best of the long string of Duax boys. Several young players will have to step up off a good JV and soph teams.

Tom English of Dubuque Wahlert returns the most veterans of the city's teams, with four seasoned players, two of whom are three-year starters. Two are getting serious looks and offers from mid-size and small colleges-- Cael Schmitt and Jacob Schockemoehl. Isaac Ripley was a regular forward-guard last year and Lucas Topping at 6-5 was a starter at year's end. Nick Bandy, an undersized leaper rounds out their top five, at this point. Wahlert beat Hempstead twice, split with Western Dubuque and played Senior to a two-point game at Wahlert with a minute to go, so there is optimism in the Eagles camp for a chance to return to state.

At Dubuque Senior, which played Cedar Falls for the 4A state title last year, four veteran players graduated, topped by Noah Carter (UNI), but Coach Wendell Eimers has several seasoned returnees including the starting point guard Medinger, 6-5 Bonifas, some cat-quick guards like Dequan Lewis, plus considerable talent off a 17-1 sophomore team that was first in the MVC. Coach Eimers, along with the other local coaches says that the teams to beat in the powerful 16-team MVC are Iowa City West and Cedar Falls, with a strong contingent of other teams nipping at their heels.

It looks like another really strong year is in store for the Dubuque area teams. I am big fan of Coach Eimers and what he has done for Senior basketball through the years...they have been a model of consistency in the MVC the last decade. Losing Carter will hurt, but this program will still be strong and competitive as you alluded to EIH. Is this the year that Wahlert gets back to state in 3A? Two very talented senior guards and plenty of other key players with experience...if Schockemoehl has a 1st Team All State type of year then they have a chance to get to The Well. However, Xavier and Marion will be tough to beat if they get matched up with them. Michael Duax is one of the best players in the entire state and has a very well rounded game to go with his elite athleticism. Can the younger guys step up and provide him with enough help. Duax could lead the MVC in scoring this year I believe. I'm ready for hoops season to get here!! Is it time yet??!!

It looks like another really strong year is in store for the Dubuque area teams. I am big fan of Coach Eimers and what he has done for Senior basketball through the years...they have been a model of consistency in the MVC the last decade. Losing Carter will hurt, but this program will still be strong and competitive as you alluded to EIH. Is this the year that Wahlert gets back to state in 3A? Two very talented senior guards and plenty of other key players with experience...if Schockemoehl has a 1st Team All State type of year then they have a chance to get to The Well. However, Xavier and Marion will be tough to beat if they get matched up with them. Michael Duax is one of the best players in the entire state and has a very well rounded game to go with his elite athleticism. Can the younger guys step up and provide him with enough help. Duax could lead the MVC in scoring this year I believe. I'm ready for hoops season to get here!! Is it time yet??!!
I saw Duax play a few times this summer/fall. Kid is the real deal and best of the brothers. Wahlert is always well coached and a tough out for any team. Dubuque is stacked this year. Toss in Western Dub and it is going to be an exciting year for that area in a few months!

I saw Duax play a few times this summer/fall. Kid is the real deal and best of the brothers. Wahlert is always well coached and a tough out for any team. Dubuque is stacked this year. Toss in Western Dub and it is going to be an exciting year for that area in a few months!
EIH, who do you have winning state in 4A and 3A this year? I like Cedar Falls or Waukee in 4A and Norwalk in 3A. I do think that Wahlert would match up well with Norwalk if they are able to make it to the Well.

Probably Norwalk (who can stop Born?) or Osky (with Xavier Foster and crew) in 3A and Cedar Falls or IC West in 4A. Waukee is overdue and lost to Senior by one point at state last year. West Des Moines Dowling has a superstar freshman and could surprise in 4A. If Wahlert can stay healthy they could have an interesting season, but their MVC schedule is always an absolute killer, and they play Dowling at Loras College on Jan. 11. The top four Dubuque County teams will all be very competitive, but I don't see any with less than five losses against the rugged competition they play every week. And IC Liberty will be very good this year. They beat Senior, and they return everybody.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT