ADVERTISEMENT

ap - gr

Nov 5, 2014
Noticed that the top teams in 1a and 2a matchup this Tuesday. Both of these teams look really tough.
Who wins the game? Which player stands out?

I originally had AP, gut GR's been on a run of late. Kickbush stands out to me. Should be a good game, with good energy and a lot of hype.

I'm gonna take AP in a VERY close game. I think GR's "Big 3" (Kickbush, Smoldt, Pierce) is a little bit better than AP's (Cooper, Waller, Ellis) but where AP excels is their 4-9 players being able to come in and not miss a beat. I don't think GR has quite the depth that AP does and I think that'll make the difference. 65-61 AP and expect a big night from either Cooper or Waller

GR wins if:
Kickbush keeps throwing darts, and blowing by defenders. Distributes the ball better than the other guards, leader of the team. AP will have a hard time keeping him in check, quick as Waller and stronger than Shipper.

Smoldt gets others involved, in a possession game where shots and percentages matter, will shots get forced or will it be about winning. Currently running the highest shot per game average than anyone in the last 4 years at 13.3 shots per game. Has taken 25% of all Rebel attempts and has 75 more attempt than the 2nd highest on the team.

Dinsdale can slow up Cooper. Does everything but score for the Rebels in this game.

Clark is the x-factor in this game. The interior passing game of the Rebels and Clark is the benefactor here. AP will really struggle if the Rebels get Clark active out of the gate,

Pierce has been underutilized all season, draws attention and starts the interior passing game. Averaged 12.8 shot attempts per game as a sophomore and is down to 9.5 attempts as a senior. Generally gets involved in tight or close games, he has to deliverer if asked to, even though has been a non-factor all season.

Holman another x-factor. Plays a big role here as the zone breaker, if his bombs are connecting going to be a hard win for AP.

AP wins if:

They don't let GR dictate tempo. Waller and Shipper should easily handle GR's press.

Cooper really tough matchup for GR. If Dinsdale isn't a factor against him defensively, going to be a double bonus for AP. Points from Cooper and whoever guards Dinsdale defensively gets to cheat the post and help Ellis with Pierce.

Waller and Shipper vs Kickbush Smoldt. If that guard combo plays GR guard combo to close to a push game it's over for the Rebels.

Schedule and Coaching comes into play. GR has played a pretty soft schedule playing in only about 3 or 4 tough games. Winning games by 20-30 where they should of probably doubled scored most. AP appears to be more battle tested. AP plays better team basketball and are well coached. The addition of Berkey to the staff will bring plenty of ideas on how to slow up GR's high powered attack.

Should be a great game, and a packed house at Reinbeck.

Should be a great game. Can't make a prediction since I've haven't seen AP play. I would argue that GR is also deep. The two starters not included in the big 3 above are also key contributors. Clark is an athletic post that is capable of picking up the slack if the D focuses on Pierce. Dinsdale isn't much of a scoring threat, but does everything else. Holman will come off the bench and hit 3's and bang inside if the opportunity presents itself. Does AP play an uptempo offense? I have seen GR struggle against teams that run.

Yes AP plays very, very fast. Offensively style wise I'd honestly compare them a little bit to Iowa State. They have a lot of 3 point shooters, it looks like 4 of their starting 5 have the green light to chuck it from deep and Alberts is a sharp shooter off the bench. Hempen is also very capable of knocking it down. Cooper likes to take some mid to long range twos but other than that it's a lot of 3s and layups.

Defensively AP has a couple full court pressures they can throw at you. I don't think they'll be very successful against Smoldt and Kickbush and will get out of that right away. They run a pretty good 3-2 zone in the halfcourt for the most part but if their forced to go man to man that will hurt them a bunch as I don't see them matching up very well.

And as someone mentioned earlier AP has played some very good opponents already this year which I think could help them out a lot in a close game. Waller and Ellis have both hit a shot at the buzzer in OT

Any last minute predictions? I was thinking AP in a close one at first but I'm starting to lean GR more and more. Should be a great game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT