ADVERTISEMENT

Another player goes down

Like I said was there and seen video. You can't tell me that shove in tha back didn't cause that.Brady dunks with ease regularly. As you seen in video after shove he doesn't even get ball to rim .It doesn't take a hard shove to throw someone who is exploding up on a jump.Give me a break.That kid is sprinting down court also.A slight nudge can throw someone off balance. So you all are saying kid went for ball then right! A basketball play was made pushing, shoving, or nudging Brady was made right? You want to google stuff.Google Bradys dunks and see how easy he dunks. Brady awkward landing was caused by that kid making a dumb play.I mean it was a breakaway.Did he really think he could stop him.My bad he did.For the rest of season.I guarantee if it was one of your kids you would be heated too.Hopefully ur son or daughter won't hav to go through that.But all you guys have ur opinion just like I do_One thing I know is Brady will be stronger than ever!Wherever he goes.He is gonna dominate.What dont kill you will only make you stronger!Also if deserves an appology its Brady. We will agree to disagree.That's wat this forum is all about.

The contact was so minimal I am in fact saying it did not cause his body to go off balance.

I don't care if he dunks all of the time, there was nothing dirty about what happened here.

So a draft in the gym caused a 6'9 kid to loose his balance and not be able to explode up for a dunk and land awkwardly.Why did he become off balance then.I was there.It caused it! Now never once did I say it was dirty. Just a dumb play by kid.Dumb cause you dont foul a kid with a clear path to basket on breakaway.Dumb because there was only a couple seconds left in half. All it takes is a minimal shove to throw someone off balance.

Although my dunking days are over, I will say that a light touch (or just the awareness of someone) is enough alter your approach to the basket. It's why we teach players to run along-side, even if you're not going for a block/strip. It may cause the player to alter his shot enough to miss.

In general, if you've beaten everyone down the floor, dunking off the run (one foot) is quickest & doesn't let the defense catch up. You go off 2 feet if:

You feel off balance/are coming in too fast & need to slow your momentum downYou're an uncoordinated big that can only dunk off 2 feet.You want to throw down with authority & rattle the rim.You feel defensive pressure & are preparing to get hit/get a 3 point play.
Viewing the video, I'd say its a combination of 3 & 4, but not a flagrant foul.
Was a foul called on this play?

naejay2000..you are correct, .it WAS a dumb play and a very unfortunate ending...However, some people on this site were calling it "dirty, cheap"..etc and calling out the kid and the coaching staff. Thats what I take exception to. It was not a dirty play nor should the coaching staff be called out for what appears to be a past grudge against Muscatine....and lets all pray it does not happen to our kid.....I look forward to hearing more about Bradys college plans and watching him play wherever he ends up....Now lets talk about the playoffs!

After reading this board and seeing the video, the only people guilty of poor sportsmanship are Joel Ernst and those belittling a high school basketball program and a teenage kid. In my opinion, this was an unfortunate incident where a common foul was committed and a player got seriously hurt. The only argument to an intentional would be that there was not an attempt specifically on the ball, but in many "hand-checks" and "blocks" there never is. I feel sorry for the player and the injury he sustained, but to throw mud at the other parties involved is disrespectful. Best of luck with your recovery.

Originally posted by naejay2000:
Like I said was there and seen video. You can't tell me that shove in tha back didn't cause that.Brady dunks with ease regularly. As you seen in video after shove he doesn't even get ball to rim [/B].It doesn't take a hard shove to throw someone who is exploding up on a jump.Give me a break.That kid is sprinting down court also.A slight nudge can throw someone off balance. So you all are saying kid went for ball then right! A basketball play was made pushing, shoving, or nudging Brady was made right? You want to google stuff.Google Bradys dunks and see how easy he dunks. Brady awkward landing was caused by that kid making a dumb play[/B].I mean it was a breakaway.Did he really think he could stop him.My bad he did.For the rest of season.I guarantee if it was one of your kids you would be heated too.Hopefully ur son or daughter won't hav to go through that.But all you guys have ur opinion just like I do_One thing I know is Brady will be stronger than ever!Wherever he goes.He is gonna dominate.What dont kill you will only make you stronger!Also if deserves an appology its Brady. We will agree to disagree.That's wat this forum is all about.
These two sentences is where you appear to lose any ability to think. I'll let you know…Brady hurt himself on the jump, which is why he didn't get the ball to the rim. He hurt his knee, which didn't allow him to jump all the way to the rim. His landing had NO barring on the injury, the damage was already done to the knee at that point. Yes, he came down awkwardly, but the little contact was over before he left his feet.

Wow, I've seen more contact in ping pong than I saw in that video.

In no way, shape, or form was did the kid mean to intentionally hurt the Ernst kid.

I think Joni would agree with me on this one.

Rose B.My ability to think is right on.As is those two sentences you highlighted. I was there and talk to to Brady and others after game.He hurt knee on landings cuz he originally thought he jus hyperextended it on landings when knee buckled. So the actual source and people around him are dont know what they are talking bout.You should have the ability to know what you are talking about.But Im gonna now focus on cheering for the Rkings and all the other MAC teams still alive.Lets finish strong.

Holy cow, the kid barely laid a hand on him. Based on some of the comments, I was expecting a shove after he jumped. Good lord.

To me it really looks like something gave before he even went up and the contact couldn't have been more than minimal. The defenders's arm was already fully extended before what minimal contact happened and the defenders body was upright and not leaning forward so the pressure on contact couldn't have been much more than a brush.

Yes it can take little to topple someone in a situation like this but I just can't see the defender being responsible for this unfortunate injury.

As someone else pointed out, he was obviously trying for a dunk but his failure to launch to anything close to the height necessary in my book is a clear indication the damage was probably already done.

I am sure all of you critic that do not think it was a cheap play, would agree that shoving a QB after the ball is thrown is a harmless foul too.
The play was a result of poor coaching, the kid was beat to the basket and had no chance of doing anything good by shoving the offensive player. So should kids be coached to push a kid every time they get beat to the Basket? What are the possible positive outcomes for the defending player?

It takes very little to throw a jumping athlete off balance and cause injury.
To say that it had little impact on the play is ridiculous, look how Ernst is twisted and how far under the basket and out of play he ends up after the play as a result of being pushed going up.

Your read is different than mine. Looks to me like the contact (what little there was) occurred well before he went up. He still had time to gather himself. I have read many accounts that he normally dunks with ease. Looks to me like something happened when he planted which resulted in the miss and the awkward landing. I wasn't there, just the view from my untrained eye.

Calling that a "shove" is a bit over the top too. I have been shoved after leaving the ground on a play like that with legs undercut. The first thing that hit the ground was my wrist which broke as I tried to break my fall. I don't see anything malicious about this play.

This post was edited on 2/27 1:35 PM by jasonrann

This post was edited on 2/27 1:38 PM by jasonrann

looks like he was trying to jab the ball from behind not much contact. Brady had not left ground when the jab took place. Joel made it sound like Brady got mugged. Brady just got his footwork mixed up on the dunk and unfortunately got injured. Was there even a foul called on the play?

Originally posted by hoopsczar:
looks like he was trying to jab the ball from behind not much contact. Brady had not left ground when the jab took place. Joel made it sound like Brady got mugged. Brady just got his footwork mixed up on the dunk and unfortunately got injured. Was there even a foul called on the play?

I agree hoopsczar, It looks like if anything he tries to jab last second for the ball, and may have made light contact with the players side or back. Definitely prior to the jump.

If he was being coached to "take the player out" or "push on the sure dunk" as some have implied, you would have seen either two hands on the player, a wrap up, or at least a lot more contact. to insinuate that this was the case is ridiculous.

Originally posted by houndref:
I am sure all of you critic that do not think it was a cheap play, would agree that shoving a QB after the ball is thrown is a harmless foul too.
The play was a result of poor coaching, the kid was beat to the basket and had no chance of doing anything good by shoving the offensive player. So should kids be coached to push a kid every time they get beat to the Basket? What are the possible positive outcomes for the defending player?

It takes very little to throw a jumping athlete off balance and cause injury.
To say that it had little impact on the play is ridiculous, look how Ernst is twisted and how far under the basket and out of play he ends up after the play as a result of being pushed going up.
The possible outcomes for sticking your arm out and giving a tiny bit of contact like he did? Well, he could force a missed shot or send the kid to the line instead of a dunk to get the crowd excited. Are kids just supposed to stand around and let the other team score? And he didn't get beat to the basket, it was a fast break and he hustled back.

Just watching video, it would appear injury occurred on take off. He had no lift, body rotated as if he got a push off his left foot only and he landed entirely on his left leg.

1. After seeing the video, this was an unfortunate result of a typical foul that happens more than we like to see in basketball at any level. Looks like the hand to the back was enough to throw off the timing / angle of the dunk attempt. Unprofessional video analysis shows the right leg almost hyperextending on the plant and maybe a twist at the time of takeoff. Brady said the injury occurred on landing but (I know-I'm not him and I'm working off a 7 second video clip) it looks like this happened at the plant/takeoff, hence the lack of elevation.
2. Again unfortunate result for Brady and hope he heals quickly. But Dad, this is not the forum to call out an opposing teams player. Something like this should be discussed at a more personal level. Maybe a phone call or visit but not in a basketball blog.

Saw the play and I saw a kid hustling trying to make a play. The ernst kid landed awkwardly and I think that's where his injury came from. I don't think the "shove" had anything to do with it. I think his momentum carried him and he hyperextended his knee.

A kid when I was in high school went up for a dunk and slammed it home and his momentum carried his body and slipped off the rim and fell to the floor and broke BOTH wrist. Freak accident that happened when he dunked the ball.

Seems like the same thing happened here.

Saywhat,

I don't think Luke needs to pull the plug on this.

There were some strong accusations made pertaining to this unfortunate injury. A picture is worth a thousand words and fortunately someone posted the video so everyone could watch and form their own opinion if dirty play was involved.

Not really caring when the injury happened. It doesn't matter or really change anything and I was more interest if there appeared to be any inappropriate contact or dirty play. I saw neither.

The fact no one has replied to the question if a foul was called would lead me to guess the refs saw nothing inappropriate about this play either.

Good luck to all the people impacted by this play.

The truth comes out... That was in no way a dirty play and had less contact than what I expected to see. If that was called a foul, it would be weak at best. Very childish accusation and even more childish to continuing trying to support the accusation after having time to cool down over what was seemingly an emotional time as a parent.

Good luck to Brady on making a full recovery and good luck to the rest of the remaining MAC teams.

I agree with posters defending the "shove". If you watch the video multiple times you can see that the 'shover' is so stretched out just to reach Ernst he'd have virtually no leverage to exert any meaningful force--it looked like a tap in a 2nd grade game of tag. Also, it appears that the contact is on the lower LEFT side of Ernst's back--but when Ernst goes up he rotates to the RIGHT: physics of the contact don't work out.

We've probably all see kids go down with serious injuries that left us asking, "How did that happen?"
It's amazing how little force applied at the precisely wrong angle will cause devastation.

Good luck to the Ernst boy and all the other kids that suffer these setbacks.

The kid is reaching for the ball...this post should be pulled as there is nothing valid in the original posters comments.

An apology should be issued to the kid, his coach, his school, his team and his family....

This is a joke

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT