Oct 25, 2017
Depending on how they make the pods for PO’s, in no particular order:
SEP
CR Prairie
Valley
Ankeny

Last edited:
Bump
Since Prairie and Ankeny are in same pod (predictions before PO pods came out), going with:
SEP
Urbandale over CRK in coin toss
Valley
Prairie

Interesting. Here on the east side of the state we’re looking forward to a possible Kennedy-City High 2nd round, which means Urbandale loses next Friday. We‘ll see.

Prairie has a real shot at the whole thing - they could easily be 9-0 (lost to Cedar Falls on a trick play setting up a score with 7 seconds left, then were a blocked field goal away from beating Southeast Polk), and they proved they can play with the best of central Iowa.

I’d go:
  • Southeast Polk
  • Prairie
  • Valley
  • Then I say either Kennedy or City High … I’m not sure Kennedy‘s schedule really makes them the number 2 team, but we’ll see (sorry, Urbandale, I guess?)

Having seen both CRK and Prairie, I’d say Prairie is the best of the East and Prairie showed it could more than hang with SEP. From this point on it’s about staying healthy and not making stupid mistakes.

Reactions: KidSilverhair
Looking at the Pods I think in pod 1 Dowling has a good shot at knocking off SEP, that game was a battle royale last time. In pod 2 I think City High, or Urbandale can say they have a great shot at making the dome and knocking off Kennedy, also I think people forget that Senior actually gave Kennedy a great game during the season. Pod 3 to me feels like Valleys to lose, but PV does run triple option that can get teams on any night and Cedar Falls has been such a hot or cold team so I don’t know what to think about them. Pod 4 Prairie has looked very good, but I also think Ankeny at their best is as good as anyone.

Personally I think the large school class is as wide open as it has been ever, if I were to pick I’m taking Dowling, Kennedy, Valley, and Prairie but there are teams that I don’t have on there that I still think could win a title.

Dowling-multiple starters back on game lost on hail mary to end game vs SEP
Valley-weakest pod
Kennedy-this one is a guess
Ankeny-Ankeny offense will be too much for Prairie

Valley - They clearly have always had the talent and it seems like another gear clicked for them after the early bad SEP loss. Their win vs Ankeny was impressive and no shame in the Dowling loss. QB play has improved dramatically. They have multiple quality DL that rotate in and that will help against a running team like PV.

Southeast Polk - Pick against Dowling at your own risk I guess. Maroons are rolling now with quality athletes across the board but SEP has played 7 playoff teams, they have the best playmaker in the state, and they have a 3-year starter at QB as opposed to a QB who is very good but has only played a handful of varsity games. Small margin but those things and home field are the difference.

Kennedy - Great balance in this pod - very difficult to choose between Kennedy, Urbandale, and City High. I like Kennedy's experience and resume just a bit more. Would not be surprised to be wrong here, heck Senior might win this pod.

Ankeny - Hawks definitely have the horses up front on defense to hinder Prairie's great running attack. I see them getting ahead and Prairie is not built to play catch up. Defending state champs are poised to defend.

Last edited:
Depending on how they make the pods for PO’s, in no particular order:
SEP
CR Prairie
Valley
Ankeny
Hey, 3 out of 4 ain’t bad and was predicted when there were 16 teams.
Now that the semifinal pairings are out, I’m going SEP vs Valley in final, winner……SEP

Bump
Missed the call on Ankeny vs Valley, Ankeny is impressive, has very smart aggressive defense.
Therefore, going with Ankeny for a repeat by 10.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT