ADVERTISEMENT

4A Sites?

EHS1505

Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2010
I noticed that 4A is playing the first round games at the same site for both games. Is this normal? I don't ever remember them doing it this way... Two reasons I can think of; it's a money grab, thinking that 1 site will draw more fans than 2 separate sites. The second reason, difficulty finding officials?

I also noticed that Substate 1 has no "if playing, then"... most of the rest of the substates have this stipulation... I assume that if West wins their first two games and either East or North win theirs, they won't make the SC Schools travel to TJ to play each other...

I think you may want to go back and look at the pairings. Not all Substate first rounds are being played at the same site. I see a few are but then again others are not.

Looks like Substate 6 and Substate 8 are not doing that

Not sure why it works that way

This post was edited on 2/9 4:43 PM by IASOONER

6 out of 8 are.... it was explained in a World Herald article though, apparently they did it in 3A last year and the state seemed to think it was a good idea to expand it to 4A.

Kevin White of NE prep zone writes a question, why did the higher seeded Sioux City East have a first round
away game? The criteria from the IAHSAA is 1st Higher seed, 2nd size of
location, 3rd distance, 4th parking. In all 4 of these East
High is the better location then Sioux City West for the first round.
So was this a mistake from the IAHSAA or was the a precedent being set
that the governing body of the Iowa Athletic association can just place
teams in locations they want if so this is wrong and based on the email response I received that is the case.

Based of the Des Moines register most of these guys make well over 100,000.00 per year to and similar to the NCAA they work for the schools to "earn" that income. Which means they work for you and I the normal citizen. You may not be a Sioux City East fan however if you let this sit the precedent is set that they no longer go based off criteria but based on how they feel about either the school or the coach of that program. This is not good..

http://m.neprepzone.com/sports/white-it-s-puzzling-that-sioux-city-east-is-not/article_775d8dbb-0f81-52b4-af06-630a59bae611.html?mode=jqm

I think its obvious that the association will make more money having one site instead of 2. And they are all about the almighty dollar. That being said, maybe someone angered the guys in Boone. That isnt a stretch!

You are correct Mackie on both accounts. However it appears most have double headers to make them more money, however this is the only game in 4A that the 3 seed didn't get the home court (SC West the 4th seed got it), just because the guys in almighty Boone got mad doesnt mean they should be able to change their own rules. I sincerely hope the coaches association goes off on these guys this summer when they have to meet since they are dodging everyones questioning on it. Or answering "It simply was the decision to go to Sioux City, West as a facility that has hosted several contests for the IHSAA"
in the past.-Todd Tharp

According to Todd because a school has hosted before that over rides all other criteria. Well unless Im mistaken SC East has hosted a few first round games previously as well..

OR, perhaps the higher seeded school did not put in a request to host this year. That does happen. Maybe they have a conflict (school play, chorus concert) or maybe they just aren't interested in hosting.

They put in to host and they were interested in hosting. All people with a dog in the fight that I know are pretty upset about this situation. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. That being said... when a higher entity/governing body goes against their own rules once, it sets the precedence that they can and will do it again. It probably won't matter in this particular instance, but it's a slippery slope and others should take notice and voice their concerns so it doesn't happen again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT