ADVERTISEMENT

3A Substates

qcgymrat

Freshman
Jun 20, 2005
Is this right? Substate #4 has Bettendorf and the three worst teams in the MAC (North Scott, Clinton & Dav North) and 2 of the worst teams in the MVC (Senior & Hempstead)?

How do these pairings get decided?

Substate #3 has CR Kennedy, IC West, CR Wash, CR Prarie & CR Jeff! I believe all of these teams are either ranked or have received votes to be ranked this year.

Couldn't they have split some of these and put them in #4?

Yep, the MAC got split into 2 different Substates - one incredibly weak with Bettendorf the only team on anyone's radar. The other Substate has PV, Muscatine, and Burlington.

Geographic substates are put together before the season begins. The seeding happened late last week or early this one. Substates could be better, but I'd bet that no matter how any substate was bracketed, there'd be a fault somewhere.

Originally posted by FutbolFan1:
Substates could be better, but I'd bet that no matter how any substate was bracketed, there'd be a fault somewhere.
I disagree with this because there should be no reason not to pair up PV with Bettendorf. This is Bettendorf's worst team ever. I could undersand pairing Bett with a bunch of scrub teams if Bett had one of their usual state title contender teams, but this year's Bett team is its weakest ever.

On the other side of the coin, Muscatine, Central, and Burlington are sporting their best teams in awhile. Its just one of those years. Who would have thought? Should make for an exciting sub-state. Who knows...maybe Bettendorf will be upset this year. Could happen.

I'd bet that Bettendorf and PV are glad they are not in the same substate this year - they usually are and it is nice to see them each have an individual track to possibly State instead of just one of them.

Ideally, what if instead of waiting till mid may to seed the brackets, what if you waited till mid May to BUILD the brackets? Ensure that no more than two top 15 teams were in any one bracket. Of course, you still have to bracket geographically as best as possible and it wouldn't be perfect, but would think the brackets would be a bit more even, competitive.

And yes, the Musc, Cent, Burl, PV bracket will be VERY interesting to watch.

Originally posted by FutbolFan1:
I'd bet that Bettendorf and PV are glad they are not in the same substate this year - they usually are and it is nice to see them each have an individual track to possibly State instead of just one of them.
If I'm PV, I'm extremely pissed. The state association pairs you up with Bett every single time Bett has a state-title contending team. Then the one year (this year) that Bett doesn't have a state-title contending team, they put PV in a very-difficult substate and pair Bett with a bunch of scrub teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT