ADVERTISEMENT

3A state bracket if all the favorites make it

Oct 2, 2014
I did something like this a few weeks ago as well. Just for fun, this is what the 3A bracket will look like if all the favorites (as estimated by BCMoore rankings) win their substate.

S1: MOC-FV (18-3)
S2: Waverly-Shell Rock (19-2)
S3: Dubuque Wahlert (12-9)
S4: Cedar Rapids Xavier (13-8)
S5: Ft. Madison (19-2)
S6: Pella (18-2)
S7: Dallas Center-Grimes (17-4)
S8: Carroll (17-4)

That means, the bracket should look like this: (Using the more points for higher class wins tiebreaker rule) Correct me if I'm wrong.

1. WSR vs. 8. Wahlert
4. MOC-FV vs. 5. DCG
3. Pella v. 6.Carroll
2. Ft. Madison vs. 7. Xavier

Great potential matchups here, what do you guys think?

As has been the case for many years, the state tournament is seeded based on winning %. Waverly would be #1 and FTMadison #2. The rest looks wide open other than Wahlert being #8.

How great it would be to get the #1 seed and face Wahlert in the first round. Good thing the seeding process is based on percentages, not points against in the schools you beat.

I think NeverR did a great job in giving us an example of what the field might look like in 3A. There'll probably be "upsets" in several of the substates so the teams may be a little different, but it is going to be a great field. Luke, speaking of percentages, I just watched the Wahlert-Xavier season finale game in CR which was televised on Mediacom 22 tonight (Sunday) with Rob Brooks doing the color. Xavier won 78- 74 (on this past Thursday) with free throws at the end (Xavier doesn't miss them), but the first half shooting percentages were Xavier 77% and Wahlert 72%. At the end of the game, Xavier's top three scorers (who scored 65 of Xavier's 78 points) shot 85% from the field for the game. Wahlert finished over 74% and Josh Carter was 10 of 11 from the field. He missed one three-pointer. Pemsl was 6- 9. It was an amazing game, with pretty decent defense, believe it or not. Can you imagine going to play somebody and shooting almost 75% and have your leading scorer (in the game) go 10- 11, make eight more field goals than Xavier--and LOSE! (Part of the reason was that Xavier made 16 more free throws in the game.) 4A and 3A start tomorrow night. Let the upsets begin!!!! I think there will be lots of them. I want to wish Good Luck to all the teams in all classes going forward.

This post was edited on 2/23 8:58 PM by EastIowaHawk

If this holds true it could be one of the better 3A State tournaments of recent memory! Thanks for putting this together!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT