ADVERTISEMENT

3A Semifinal Talk - PELLA (23-1) VS. XAVIER, CEDAR RAPIDS (17-8)

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
Post predictions before the game and chat about the game during and after here!

Xavier and Burger, in particular, will slow the game down and avoid a track meet. This is what they did last year and it was very effective. I don't see a particularly high scoring game, but probably in the 60's or so. I think it will be a close, hotly contested game. Obviously, Pella probably has some revenge on their minds, but this Pella team is different then last year's team in that they have many more offensive minded players and are probably a bit more athletic. One thing that is a bit concerning about Pella is they really don't have a go to guy in crunch time. They all can play, D it up, and score, but they don't have a go-to scorer when they must have a bucket. Granted, they have had very few times this year that that situation has arisen, but I do wander about it as it is bound to come up either today or Saturday. Regardless, should be a great game today and I'll have to pick Pella.

Last year, Pella played pretty poorly for three quarters and almost won it at the end. I've said all year that Pella is the one team that has a real shot at knocking off the private schools (Wahlert and Xavier). Still though, I refuse to pick against one of the two until they lose to a 3A public school. So far that hasn't happened in the last 3-4 years. Xavier by 3.

Looks like street ball, or a glorified version of a typical 7th grade middle school B game. I don't think any lead is safe in this game. Sure wouldn't want to have to dribble around and kill the clock if one team gets up toward the end. Steals, turnovers, and quickness dominate. Entertaining. Takes some high-energy guards to hang with Pella. The IHSSN TV announcers just said it was an ugly game. I wonder what Coach Tom English of Wahlert thinks about this game? Probably wondering how deep he can possibly go with his guards.

G another missed opportunity for Pella at the state tourney , same thing different season. Time to end the freebies to state for Pella year in and year out, get some new blood in there for once.
Then start coaching some kids in the area to be better than Pella. They won back-to-back football titles and have had a great run in basketball, you think that maybe they have some talented athletes there? and they're all the leftovers that Pella Christian didn't recruit so that PC could stay in class 2A. Imagine if they had all the talent at Pella?

G another missed opportunity for Pella at the state tourney , same thing different season. Time to end the freebies to state for Pella year in and year out, get some new blood in there for once.

Not a big Pella fan, but so far this year they have had Boys XC, Girls XC, Football, Volleyball, Boys Bball, and Girls Bball all make it to state. Last year they also had tennis, baseball, soccer, and softball teams make it to state. Heck they even had a bowler make it to state. Seems to me like they actually have talented athletes rather than your absurd hypothesis of them getting "freebies to state".

Reactions: Bulldog198240
Judging from their boy's state basketball record they need tougher district competition. Enough of Pella to boys tourney, same thing every year. Hard to believe they don't have more titles or higher finishe with all those opportunities year after year after year. Move or start stacking their district. Boone Boyz like them some Pella every year at state and it's all about the Boone Boyz , they are the Board of Control ! if they haven't let you know yet.

Judging from their boy's state basketball record they need tougher district competition. Enough of Pella to boys tourney, same thing every year. Hard to believe they don't have more titles or higher finishe with all those opportunities year after year after year. Move or start stacking their district. Boone Boyz like them some Pella every year at state and it's all about the Boone Boyz , they are the Board of Control ! if they haven't let you know yet.

You are so dumb! Should all the teams that have never made it to State just stop playing basketball? Heelan didn't make it this year...Pella is better than they are. They finished in the Top 8 last year and Top 4 this year. Sounds like a good accomplishment to me. Not to mention they played awful against Xavier both times and still hung with them.

Also they played the same Chariton team last year in District final, followed by Norwalk to get to State last year. This year they Played WDM Valley in the regular season and much like the Xavier game last night took some shooter who has averaged less than 10ppg to go off and make over 80% from the 3. Not sure what the issue was/is with Xavier, but sometimes the psychology of the game gets you. The Pella team of the first half was well below the average Pella team for the year, and I don't think it was due to Xavier. They had like 12 offensive boards that came up empty on put backs. Some times it happens. Ask ICWest last year

That Pella team goes 4-12 in the MVC.
So a good 3A team would be sub.500 in a 4A conference!? Who'da thunk it - again I say if you play 51% of your games vs a higher class then you stay in that class for state. Why the boys in boone don't do something about that is beyond me.

Also they played the same Chariton team last year in District final, followed by Norwalk to get to State last year. This year they Played WDM Valley in the regular season and much like the Xavier game last night took some shooter who has averaged less than 10ppg to go off and make over 80% from the 3. Not sure what the issue was/is with Xavier, but sometimes the psychology of the game gets you. The Pella team of the first half was well below the average Pella team for the year, and I don't think it was due to Xavier. They had like 12 offensive boards that came up empty on put backs. Some times it happens. Ask ICWest last year
Just like last year and the year before and the year before blah blah . So bad this happens to Pella any time they run into anything other than their crappy district or first round opponents.

You are so dumb! Should all the teams that have never made it to State just stop playing basketball? Heelan didn't make it this year...Pella is better than they are. They finished in the Top 8 last year and Top 4 this year. Sounds like a good accomplishment to me. Not to mention they played awful against Xavier both times and still hung with them.
Played awful but still hung with a 8 loss team LOL. Who is dumb ! Enjoy your high rank and high seed next year before your surprisingly 'awful' performance at state next year.
But hey at least top seed Chariton is terrible too , you will get 3rd.

Played awful but still hung with a 8 loss team LOL. Who is dumb ! Enjoy your high rank and high seed next year before your surprisingly 'awful' performance at state next year.
But hey at least top seed Chariton is terrible too , you will get 3rd.
You're right because Pella has 2 State Championships and Xavier has 0. Pella is a bad program...you're right! I guess I thought 2 State Championships was pretty good.

Wahlert- 3 State Championships
Heelan- 3 State Championships
Pella- 2 State Championships
Xavier- 0 State Championships

Guys we can't hang with the "4A" schools. Hung with Valley, but they are a 3 loss team so they aren't any good.

Then start coaching some kids in the area to be better than Pella. They won back-to-back football titles and have had a great run in basketball, you think that maybe they have some talented athletes there? and they're all the leftovers that Pella Christian didn't recruit so that PC could stay in class 2A. Imagine if they had all the talent at Pella?
PC is too busy picking up kids from Oskaloosa and other surrounding communities that have Christian Reformed elementary schools to bother with what the Pella public kids are doing....

So how do you do this? Maybe you could physically move the town of Pella so it could reside next to Dubuque or Cedar Rapids? Not sure why you have such a beef with Pella, but you probably don't know either.

So, Pella has made the state tournament 7 times since 2000, which is great, but not every year as you say. Have finished 1st twice, 2nd place once, 3rd place twice. So out of 7 visits, placed in top 3 five times. That's not a bad representation at state. Anyway...

Play a bunch of overmatched stiffs all year achieve a sparkling 21-2 record play in another soft district. Get a high seed due to said record play a weak 7 or 8 seed ( unless Xavier last year ) win 1st round at state. Lose vs Xavier, Wahlert , or Heelan in semi's. Repeat again next year.

Well Crusader, you certainly have a hate for Pella and that is fine and you are not alone with that. Guess we will have to agree to disagree about your views. Pella's conference is far from a bunch of stiffs. Oh yes, WDM Valley was among those stiffs (and I am aware they lost to them, but they took them on). Guess they couldn't get Sisters of the poor to play them. Why don't you contact the Pella AD so you can let him know who they should be playing to meet your approval!

Cruzer why is Heelan thrown into this mix? .................crickets..................must be a let down year. Also might need to come up with some recruiting legends, I don't see Heelan or Wahlert coming on strong in the year's to come unless they get some last minute "transfers". So then who will join Xavier on your list of those only worthy, probably all the NW iowa teams because that is where real basketball is played, except for Spirit Lake, of course. Thanks for keeping it stirred up. Cya next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT