ADVERTISEMENT

* 3A Semifinal State Talk - Wahlert Catholic Vs Cedar Rapids Xavier *

LukeFeddersen

Jun 14, 2001
This thread will be linked on the front page. Post updates, final game talk, and predictions before the game on what you expect to happen here!

Pemsl was sidelined with 2 fouls. 1 very questionable.

Start of 2Q
Xavier 14
Wahlert 6

Xavier Halftime Stat Leaders
A McDermott 12 pts
M Burger 8 pts
M Mims 7 pts

Wahlert Stat Leaders
N Timp 10 pts
D Wedewer 6 pts
J Carter 5 pts
C Pemsl 4 pts

http://iowapreps.rivals.com/ #iahsbkb

First foul call on Pemsl was terrible. Difference in the first half is Wahlert turning it over and allowing Xavier to run and Xavier's ability to knock down some open 3's.

Wahlert might have a repeat of last year when their best game was in the semi-finals. I predict LeMars plays them closer than Xavier, maybe more of a Waverly final score. But they are unmatched. Too much talent for a 3A team to defeat in a win or go home situation.

Xavier Stat Leaders
A McDermott 21 pts
C Winker 12 pts
M Mims 11 pts
M Burger 8 pts

Wahlert Stat Leaders
N Timp 24 pts
D Wedewer 16 pts
J Carter 16 pts
C Pemsl 10 pts 10 rbs

Wahlert looked very good again tonight. They took Xavier's best shot in the first half and came right back at them. Xavier just didn't have enough to claw back in at the end. Lemars is going to have to play their best game of the season to hang with this Wahlert team.

It won't be close at the end ..,Wahlert has too many guys that can guard Bochers and Lemars can be sloppy with the ball plus will have matchup trouble inside
Then again the morons that ref the game may foul everyone out by halftime

I think the game came down to ball handling, coaching and 5 players vs. 4. The red headed kid for CRX looked like a deer in headlights.
This post was edited on 3/13 5:52 AM by DogBoyRy

The first half and second half were two different games. Wahlert found their defense in the second half. I still don't know how they won. (Okay, they won the rebounds 34-20, shot 55% and hit 24- 29 free throws.) I think LeMars will be a very tough foe. They impressed me a lot. Tyler Borchers looks like the player of the year in 3A. Anybody know where is he going to college?

First time guarding Borchers is always an adventure.
Big man that wants to be a wing. When he gets the ball at the high post & dips his head, be prepared for a drive & try to not to foul him! His awkward, European-style play puts him at the line a lot (if only he was a better free-throw shooter)
He will get a double-double, no matter how you guard him.

If the LeMars guards can shoot better than the first 2 rounds, it will be a game.

eastiowa, he committed to Morningside in Sioux City a few months ago. Probably could play at a higher level, but not D1. Too raw with ball handling and outside shooting to play the #3. Too short to play the 4/5. My nephew plays for LeMars too and is also going to Morningside. Sure has been fun watching these guys play since 5th grade. I know nothing about Wahlert, but LeMars will fight to the end no matter the score. Should be fun!

Originally posted by VanderHoops:

First time guarding Borchers is always an adventure.
Big man that wants to be a wing. When he gets the ball at the high post & dips his head, be prepared for a drive & try to not to foul him! His awkward, European-style play puts him at the line a lot (if only he was a better free-throw shooter)
He will get a double-double, no matter how you guard him.

If the LeMars guards can shoot better than the first 2 rounds, it will be a game.
Plant your feet and take a charge, he won't drive so much anymore - W'burg should have.

I see Wahlert running away with this one. Lemars is too one dimensional to take down a power like Wahlert. I still feel that the 3a Championship game was played between WSR and Wahlert in the first round. WSR will have had the best shot at beating Wahlert of anyone in the field.

Originally posted by JonnyRae:
I see Wahlert running away with this one. Lemars is too one dimensional to take down a power like Wahlert. I still feel that the 3a Championship game was played between WSR and Wahlert in the first round. WSR will have had the best shot at beating Wahlert of anyone in the field.
If you watched just the semifinal game against Williamsburg, I can see why you would say this. Borchers was basically the only offensive weapon for LeMars in that game. However, that isn't always the case. In the quarterfinals against Dallas Center-Grimes, the Mustangs had size that double and triple teamed Borchers, which effectively shut him down offensively. He only scored 9 points, which was his first time in over two years where he did not score double digits. Regardless, LeMars found ways to still score and win the game because the other guys, especially Paulson, were able to get their offensive production going. It's no secret that the LeMars bench is not deep. They only have five or six guys who really can contribute. But that's also the thing -- they do have five or six guys who can contribute. This hasn't showed much so far at state because one guy took over in each of their first two games, but they are capable of going off. Will they? No idea. Even if they do, will it be enough to match what Wahlert brings to the table? Again, no idea. But on paper, the opportunity is definitely there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT