ADVERTISEMENT

3A playoff games

Have no allegiance to either side, but just a quick glance at the state championship games, BHRV has one title and two runner ups. To say they always seem to lose the big games is inaccurate.

Reactions: NWIA_37
BHRV will give Harlan all they want if Harlan wins tonight. I think they win a barn burner 42-35 next week vs. Harlan. Will be a great game, but Harlan has to get there first!

ok..watching bhrv , they do look very good. i have not seen them this yr, and they are good...bhrv looks like a passing team team, with some great recievers...they do not have a lack of confidence for sure

see if bhrv can win the big one..they allways seem to be on the loosing end when the big game comes along..i would say solon and bhrv is a big one
Being up 35-0 in the first half? That doesn't seem like losing in a big game.

i am watching bhrv, they do look good for sure...if harlan gets there too, it should be a good one...pairing 2 great qbs from the looks of it

I’m surprised Solon isn’t running it more. They looked like a running team but have -8 rushing yards at the half with the majority of their plays being passes

BHRV looked extremely impressive in their game vs. Solon. Really excited to watch the championship vs. Harlan. Should be a high-level game, could be a classic.

BHRV vs Harlan is going to be a great game. I am excited to see what Hall and Van Kekerek can do- those 2 kids are absolute studs. I think I have to give the nod to BHRV- their defense and coaching staff are just downright impressive. Solon looked like a JV team offensively trying to move the ball on BHRV. Their defense just dominates the game. I know Harlan's o-line is impressive but not sure they will be able to contain the BHRV defense enough to sustain drives.

Ahead of tomorrow's game my guess is whoever's COACHES came up with the best game plan gets the win. These teams look very similar with great passing QB's and very athletic running backs and receivers. Both teams have amazing defenses. The best game plan will win the game tomorrow.

Complete tossup.
one thing that might help harlan, is bhrv has 7 guys playing both sides of the ball..coach bladt hopes they might tire out those players playing both ways.......harlan has 2 players players going both ways....

Last edited:
That is kind of ironic because I know when BHRV won their title in 2016 against Union they had much more depth and it made the difference late in that game.

That number went up because of injuries. BHRV leading tackler tore his ACL about 4 weeks ago so they had to switch some things up on defense.

Well, I thought the officials made at least 3 or 4 very bad calls - none the less, the better team reigned.
They were the Champs for the first Iowa State High School game in 1972 and yet again for the 50th anniversary game, Makes 13 state titles and not sure but 10 for 2nd place in title game?

Also thought 2 of the BHRV players showed poor sportsmanship when offered a hand to get picked up off the floor after being tackled - and they refused the offer. Most of the kids on both teams offered and accepted on both teams, just those 2 - oh well.

Anyhow, good game and Kasperbauer and his receivers - wow.

Well, I thought the officials made at least 3 or 4 very bad calls - none the less, the better team reigned.
They were the Champs for the first Iowa State High School game in 1972 and yet again for the 50th anniversary game, Makes 13 state titles and not sure but 10 for 2nd place in title game?

Also thought 2 of the BHRV players showed poor sportsmanship when offered a hand to get picked up off the floor after being tackled - and they refused the offer. Most of the kids on both teams offered and accepted on both teams, just those 2 - oh well.

Anyhow, good game and Kasperbauer and his receivers - wow.
saw the poor sportsmanship from one player, but overall, it was good. harlan has some of the top receivers in the state, and the #1 qb, and still they had all the wanted in this game...it could have easily gone the other way.

#1 , kerkerix, for bhrv, anyone know if he is playing college ball somewhere,,,,he is good?????

when harlan played lewis central on aug 27, who would have thought they were watching 2 state champs playing....that does not happen often.

saw the poor sportsmanship from one player, but overall, it was good. harlan has some of the top receivers in the state, and the #1 qb, and still they had all the wanted in this game...it could have easily gone the other way.

#1 , kerkerix, for bhrv, anyone know if he is playing college ball somewhere,,,,he is good?????

when harlan played lewis central on aug 27, who would have thought they were watching 2 state champs playing....that does not happen often.
He has visited some D1 schools. Hasn't made any decisions yet

ok...he is good....a one player wrecking ball.....bhrv....that screen pass...they tore harlan up with that., i am puzzled why they went away from it later in the game

Reactions: Kinish
harlan will make another run for the title next yr again, they return 6 on offense, and allmost everyone back again at the skilled positions..they loose 2 out of 5 of the threats from this yr. the qb, hall and birch return. they will play next level..7 return on defense....i will see them next yr, going to make trip back to iowa, see the cb lewis central vs harlan again..going to be fun

bhrv, harlans opponent in the finals, looses a ton next yr..10 on each side of the ball. its hard to believe that they can replace the quality of players they had this yr. maybe they are loaded with talent, i am not sure, but i have my doubts

wow, this football season went fast

Last edited:
Reactions: Kinish
yup the D was super, and the O line handled their D super too, considering they had 5 or 6 or 7 over 240 while HCHS only had one and he was 245.
BHRV #'s on Stren - Off points and def pts were
Averages 196.31 45.1 11.7
and HCHS 196.65 50.2 12.2
and overall strength HCHS 204.85 and BHRV 202.53

go figure

bhrv was as good as harlan.....harlan just got the breaks. 2 very good teams that were on par with each other. the one thing that i thought made a difference in this game, harlan stopped bhrv in that one series, and that was huge i thought...harlan breaks a lot of previous records, 14 to be exact.
one interesting stat, out of the 712 yds , only 73 came on the ground

Last edited:
Reactions: NWIowaSioux
bhrv was as good as harlan.....harlan just got the breaks. 2 very good teams that were on par with each other. the one thing that i thought made a difference in this game, harlan stopped bhrv in that one series, and that was huge i thought...harlan breaks a lot of previous records, 14 to be exact.
I agree. That’s why I said it would be great to see those kids play that game again. I expected the first team that scores would win and that’s basically what happened. They got a lead and then it was back and forth the rest of the way.

I agree. That’s why I said it would be great to see those kids play that game again. I expected the first team that scores would win and that’s basically what happened. They got a lead and then it was back and forth the rest of the way.
yup....agree

STATE CHAMPIONSHIP NOTES​

LUCKY 13
HCHS State Title Game Victories Since 1972
1972 HCHS 14, CR Regis 12
1982 HCHS 15, CR Regis 14
1983 HCHS 26, Oskaloosa 0
1984 HCHS 14, Columbus 13
1993 HCHS 34, W. Delaware 20
1995 HCHS 27, W. Delaware 7
1997 HCHS 14, Decorah 7
1998 HCHS 49, Grinnell 7
2003 HCHS 38, Mount Vernon 35
2004 HCHS 42, Decorah 7
2005 HCHS 34, W. Delaware 13
2009 HCHS 35, Pella 14
2021 HCHS 42, Boyden-Hull/RV 28
1972 game played at Kinnick Stadium
All other games played at UNI-Dome

TOP OF THE CHARTS
 The Harlan Community football team has extended its lead on some all-time state records during the past several weeks. The Cyclones won their 13th state championship, made their 22nd title game appearance and increased their playoff game win total to an even 100. In each case, Dowling Catholic ranks second in the state with 10 state championships, 17 title game appearances and 84 playoff victories.
 Harlan Community’s 13 state titles are four more than the combined total of this year’s other six champions from across the state. Southeast Polk (Class 5A), Lewis Central (4A), Southeast Valley (2A) and CAM (Eight-Player) all won their first-ever football crowns last week. Van Meter (1A) claimed its second title and West Hancock (A) won for the third time.
Harlan Community Cyclone Football
2021 Final Record: 13-0
vs. Lewis Central -- Won 36-29
at Grinnell -- Won 56-7
vs. Sgt. Bluff-Luton -- Won 55-26
at Glenwood -- Won 41-13
vs. Saydel -- Won 64-0
at Atlantic -- Won 55-7
at ADM, Adel -- Won 58-30
vs. Creston -- Won 42-0
at Knoxville -- Won 76-0
CLASS 3A PLAYOFFS
vs. Ballard -- Won 45-0
vs. Nevada -- Won 38-0
vs. Humboldt -- Won 45-19 (3A Semifinal at UNI-Dome)
vs. Boyden-Hull/RV -- Won 42-28 (3A Championship at UNI-Dome)
RECORD BREAKERS
 The Cyclone football team set the following school records during the 2021 season.
Single Game Records
Teagon Kasperbauer: 432 passing yards (at ADM) - previous record Preston Mulligan 416 vs. Glenwood (2018).
Teagon Kasperbauer: 7 TD passes (at ADM) - previously Joel Osborn 6 vs. Red Oak & Creston (2003).
Team: 432 passing yards, 7 TD passes (at ADM) - previously 420 vs. Le Mars (2003).
Regular Season Records (9 games)
Stephen Leinen: 59 made PAT kicks - previously Trent Wendt 51 (2010).
Team: 2,454 Passing yards - previously 2307 in 2018.
Team: 483 points - previously 444 in 1970.
Full Season Records (13 games)
Stephen Leinen: 62 kickoff touchbacks - previously Ethan Knudson 49 (2015).
Stephen Leinen: 82 made PAT kicks - previously Trent Wendt 76 (2009).
Stephen Leinen: 57.6 kickoff average - previously Ethan Knudson 57.4 (2015).
Connor Frame: 22 receiving TDs - previously Michael Burger 17 (1992).
T. Kasperbauer: 3,307 passing yards - previously Zach Osborn 3,303 (2011).
T. Kasperbauer: 46 touchdown passes - previously Joel Osborn 42 (2003).
TEAM: 653 total points - previously 586 (2003).
TEAM: 48 touchdown passes.
Career Record
Connor Frame: 36 receiving TDs - previously Michael Burger 30 (1991-93).

3A Title Game Stats​

Harlan Community 42, Boyden-Hull/Rock Valley 28
HCHS 21 14 0 7 --- 42
B-H/RV 7 14 7 0 --- 28
HCHS: Connor Frame 25-yd. pass from Teagon Kasperbauer (Stephen Leinen kick) - 1st qt., 9:40.
 B-H/RV: Vance Katzfey 30-yd. pass from Tanner Te Slaa (Gael Enciso kick) - 1st qt., 8:06.
 HCHS: Aidan Hall 5-yd. run (Leinen kick) - 1st qt., 3:32.
 HCHS: Hall 57-yd. INT return (Leinen kick) - 1st qt., 0:00.
 B-H/RV: Caleb Kats 5-yd. pass from Te Slaa (Enciso kick) - 2nd qt., 10:21.
 HCHS: William Kenkel 4-yd. run (Leinen kick) - 2nd qt., 7:40.
 B-H/RV: Landyn Van Kekerix 66-yd. pass from Kats (Enciso kick) - 2nd qt., 6:00.
 HCHS: Joey Moser 28-yd. pass from Kasperbauer (Leinen kick) - 2nd qt., 2:23.
 B-H/RV: Van Kekerix 2-yd. run (Enciso kick) - 3rd qt., 3:38.
 HCHS: Kenkel 2-yd. run (Leinen kick) - 4th qt., 11:14.

HCHS B-H/RV
18 First Downs 21
28-43 Rush att.-Yards 20-30
273 Passing Yards 366
316 Total Yards 396
5.7 Avg. gain/play 6.7
20-27-1 Comp.-Att.-Int. 20-39-2
0-0 Fumbles-lost 2-0
8-66 Penalties-yards 8-53
3-27.7 Punts-avg. 3-41.3
7-58.1 Kickoffs-avg. 5-39.4
5-74 Kickoff returns 5-108
26:46 Possession time 21:14
7-of-10 Third-down conv. 6-of-12
0-of-0 Fourth-down conv. 0-of-1
3-for-3 Red zone scoring 2-for-4
4-23 Sacks by-yards 1-12
7 Points off turnovers 0

Harlan Community Individual Statistics
Rushing -- William Kenkel 18-47, Aidan Hall 7-17, Team 1-(-2), Joey Moser 1-(-7), Teagon Kasperbauer 1-(-12). Passing -- Kasperbauer 20-27-1, 273. Receiving -- Jacob Birch 10-145, Connor Frame 4-56, Moser 4-42, Hall 2-30.
Kickoff returns -- Brad Curren 4-48, Luke Musich 1-26. Punt returns -- None.
 Kickoffs -- Stephen Leinen 7-407 (58.1), 2 touchbacks. Punts -- Leinen 3-83 (27.7).
Tackles -- Hall 5.5 (4s/3a), Wil Neuharth 5.0 (4s/2a), Will McLaughlin 4.5 (3s/3a), Garrett Assmann 4.5 (3s/3a), Matthew Sorfonden 3.5 (2s/3a), Zane Bendorf 3.0 (2s/2a), Frame 2.0 (2s/0a), Curren 2.0 (1s/2a), Franz Reisz 1.5 (1s/1a), Alex Monson 1.5 (0s/3a), Gunner Schmitz 1.0 (1s/0a), Moser 1.0 (1s/0a), Quinn Koesters 1.0 (1s/0a), Bret Van Baale 1.0 (0s/2a), Leinen 0.5 (1a), Musich 0.5 (1a), Nick Blum 0.5 (1a), Lucas Stanley 0.5 (1a), Ben Alberti 0.5 (1a), Jameson Bieker 0.5 (1a).
 Tackles for loss -- Bendorf 2.0, G. Schmitz 1.0, McLaughlin 1.0, Reisz 1.0, Neuharth 0.5, Monson 0.5. QB Sacks -- G. Schmitz 1 (-10), McLaughlin 1 (-6), Bendorf 1 (-4), Reisz 1 (-3).
 Interceptions-return yds. -- Hall 1-57 (TD), Neuharth 1-22. Pass break-ups -- Hall 2, Curren 2, Sorfonden 1. QB hurries -- McLaughlin 2, Monson 1, Stanley 1.
Boyden-Hull/Rock Valley Individual Stat Leaders
Rushing -- Landyn Van Kekerix 10-58. Passing -- Tanner Te Slaa 18-36-2, 268; Caleb Kats 2-2-0, 98. Receiving -- Kats 8-112, Bryson Van Grootheest 6-104, Van Kekerix 3-86, Vance Katzfey 3-64.
 Kickoff returns -- Van Kekerix 3-77. Punts -- Te Slaa 3-124 (41.3).
 Tackles -- Van Kekerix 8.5 (6s/5a), Cade Fisher 5.0 (3s/4a), Dawson Van Beek 4.5 (4s/1a), Casey Pick 4.0 (3s/2a), Katzfey 3.5 (3s/1a), Brevyn Kramer 3.0 (2s/2a).
 Tackles for loss -- C. Fisher 1.5, Jaxon Rozeboom 1.0, Kramer 1.0.
 Interception-return yds. -- Kats 1-(-3).

Dr. Don Klitgaard: 1968-2021
HARLAN -- It’s championship week in the Iowa high school football playoffs, which always stirs up memories of past state titles won by Harlan Community.
 Very few of the Cyclones’ 12 state championships were as memorable as the 1984 final against Waterloo Columbus. HCHS trailed 13-7 with time winding down and Columbus had the ball deep in Cyclone territory. The PA announcer at the UNI-Dome had already informed Sailor fans where the championship celebration would be held back in Waterloo, saying = There will be a victory celebration at the Knights of Columbus Hall following the game - and then it happened.
 But shortly after the Cyclone band played “Jesus Christ Superstar,” a miraculous finish was written into the history books. As Columbus quarterback Chris Klieman - now the head football coach at Kansas State - rolled to his left, he was drilled by the Cyclones’ Pat Shelton. The ball popped free and was scooped up by linebacker Don Klitgaard, who sprinted three-fourths the length of the field for the game-tying touchdown. Brian Ernst kicked the extra point to give HCHS an unforgettable 14-13 victory and its first of two state title three-peats.
 The Shelby County community lost a great one last week when Dr. Don Klitgaard died at the age of 53 following a battle with cancer. Services were held Monday, November 15, at First Baptist Church in Harlan.
 Klitgaard’s incredible fumble return will always be part of Cyclone football lore, but his true legacy will be measured by his great service and dedication to the community, his family and friends. Rest in peace, Don.

Dr. Don Klitgaard: 1968-2021
HARLAN -- It’s championship week in the Iowa high school football playoffs, which always stirs up memories of past state titles won by Harlan Community.
 Very few of the Cyclones’ 12 state championships were as memorable as the 1984 final against Waterloo Columbus. HCHS trailed 13-7 with time winding down and Columbus had the ball deep in Cyclone territory. The PA announcer at the UNI-Dome had already informed Sailor fans where the championship celebration would be held back in Waterloo, saying = There will be a victory celebration at the Knights of Columbus Hall following the game - and then it happened.
 But shortly after the Cyclone band played “Jesus Christ Superstar,” a miraculous finish was written into the history books. As Columbus quarterback Chris Klieman - now the head football coach at Kansas State - rolled to his left, he was drilled by the Cyclones’ Pat Shelton. The ball popped free and was scooped up by linebacker Don Klitgaard, who sprinted three-fourths the length of the field for the game-tying touchdown. Brian Ernst kicked the extra point to give HCHS an unforgettable 14-13 victory and its first of two state title three-peats.
 The Shelby County community lost a great one last week when Dr. Don Klitgaard died at the age of 53 following a battle with cancer. Services were held Monday, November 15, at First Baptist Church in Harlan.
 Klitgaard’s incredible fumble return will always be part of Cyclone football lore, but his true legacy will be measured by his great service and dedication to the community, his family and friends. Rest in peace, Don.
i wonder if harlan,s qb T. Kasperbauer, has some division 1 interest..he is very accurate, in the 60% range i believe...he has interest in iowa state and iowa, but no offers...the divsion below div 1, he would certainly be recruited i believe...he has a 66% and qb rating of 168....he is only jr, so schools may not show interest until next yr i quess

Last edited:
It's good to have pride in your team, Harlan. The reality is rural Iowa is losing population at quite a clip. Hard to make a living in a town that size. Look for urban schools and communities around those areas to rule the next 10 years. You don't have to like it, but facts are a stubborn thing.

agree, harlan is getting smaller....when i graduated from harlan in 69, there were 212 kids in my class, now maybe 169?i was thinking harlan might add some kids to the school when they built that bacon cooking plant, but seem to not make much difference....its wonder harlan can even stay competitive with school like lewis central . maybe thats why iowa addes a class.i do believe its good for harlan to continue playing lewis central, even if they start coming up on the short end of the stick, it will toughen them for 3a competition..the future forcecast for the cyclones is good, the 7 and 8th grades were unbeaten, and i believe also the freshman and sophs too....in 2022, next year, i will be at lewis central, to watch the lewis central vs harlan game., cannot wait...been years since i have been back there.....before i changed jobs in 95, i got to see 2 or 3 games back in that area every year, miss it

Last edited:
Freshman boys did not go undefeated for Harlan. They have had a terrific run. Since you aren't living here anymore I believe you would be surprised at the number of smaller Iowa communities that have changed. Kids no longer go back home to take over family businesses, farms, etc. All of this has a trickle down effect of population. Saint Albert girls ( Council Bluffs) beat Tri-Center girls 48-8 in a varsity girls basketball game. Sign of the times.

agree.,,,,i live in phoenix, there are a few people from harlan down here now i see, so it shows u that residents move to where the jobs are. lewis central is getting bigger, are they not?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT