ADVERTISEMENT

3A, 4A Substate Pairings Are Out

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
The IHSAA has released their substate tournament basketball pairings for 4A and 3A. I might change my mind after further review but, with the possible exception of one or two substates, I think the men from Boone got it about as good as they could.
4A--
Substate 1 is tough with SC East, SC West, and Lewis Central.
Substate 2 has Ames and DM North
Substate 3 has Cedar Falls, Linn Mar and Waterloo East. Very tough bracket
Substate 4 has Dub. Senior and Bettendorf. Very, very tough. (Carton vs. Carter?)
Substate 5 has North Scott, CR Prairie and Dub. Hempstead
Substate 6 has IC West, Dav. Central and CR Kennedy
Substate 7 has Ankeny and WDM Valley
Substate 8 has Waukee and DM Hoover.

Love to hear what everybody thinks. The weakest Substate may be #2, and that one isn't easy. Lots of contenders for the toughest substate. The substate finals are going to be brutal in 4A, as there are no gimme substates this year. .

3A--
Substate 1- Spirit Lake, SB- Luten and Storm Lake
Substate 2- Clear Lake, Waverly-Shell Rock and IF-Alden
Substate 3- West Delaware, CR Xavier and Dav. Assumption
Substate 4- Maquoketa, Dub. Wahlert, Marion, Solon
Substate 5- Oskaloosa, Mt. Pleasant, Fairfield
Substate 6- Pella, Carlisle, Bondurant-Farrar
Substate 7- Norwalk, DC- Grimes, ADM
Substate 8- Carroll, Glenwood, Harlan

Pretty decent job by the state on 3A . The boys from Boone usually give the number 1 team the best substate, and Clear Lake (#1 in most polls) has it, and so-far undefeated Maquoketa (#1 in some polls) may have a little rougher time. I think it's about as balanced as it could be. What does everybody think?

Last edited:
In 4A I think #1 and #5 look the hardest. While hardly a sleeper CR Prairie is the best team I've seen this year.

In 3A, I agree this seems pretty fair and largely done with pretty logical geographic boundaries as well. Maquoketa was given no favors with some solid traditions in their bracket. If all goes as planned, the #5 bracket will be an interesting championship with a birth to state on the line.

This is such as wide-open field this year that there should be others on the 3A short list, such as Spencer and LeMars in #1; maybe CP-U in #3; Mt. Vernon in #4; Boone in #7; and Dennison-Schleswig in #8. I'll bet that at least a third of the current top #10 won't make it to state. In 4A the strong are very strong in each bracket.

Wow...this is going to be a fun postseason...here are my predictions...
4A--
Substate 1 SC East,
Substate 2 DM North
Substate 3 Cedar Falls
Substate 4 Bettendorf
Substate 5 CR Prairie
Substate 6 IC West
Substate 7 Valley
Substate 8 Hoover

3A--
Substate 1- SBL
Substate 2- Clear Lake
Substate 3- Assumption
Substate 4- Wahlert
Substate 5- Oskaloosa
Substate 6- Pella
Substate 7- Norwalk
Substate 8- Glenwood

The IHSAA has released their substate tournament basketball pairings for 4A and 3A. I might change my mind after further review but, with the possible exception of one or two substates, I think the men from Boone got it about as good as they could.
4A--
Substate 4 has Dub. Senior and Bettendorf. Very, very tough. (Carton vs. Carter?)

Love to hear what everybody thinks. The weakest Substate may be #2, and that one isn't easy. Lots of contenders for the toughest substate. The substate finals are going to be brutal in 4A, as there are no gimme substates this year. .

3A--

Pretty decent job by the state on 3A . The boys from Boone usually give the number 1 team the best substate, and Clear Lake (#1 in most polls) has it, and so-far undefeated Maquoketa (#1 in some polls) may have a little rougher time. I think it's about as balanced as it could be. What does everybody think?
4A
SC East
DM North- play D and they can win it all
Cedar Falls- No AJ but better team this year
Bettendorf- DJ enough said
CR Prairie- this is their year to make it behind Murray’s
IC West
Valley
Waukee

3A
SBL- favorite to win it all
WSR- Steege will get them there
Assumption- Great frontline and coaching
Wahlert- Great guard play and they are due
Oskaloosa- Best front line in the state
Pella
Norwalk- Most skilled guard in 3A
Glenwood- defending champs are strong again

Should be a really entertaining post season. 4A heavyweights are all strong and not a lot separates them. 3A looks to be pretty wide open still.

I'm going to think about submitting my favorites in each substate for awhile. In 3A I think Norwalk is the strongest team. In 4A- just too many good ones. CF is as good as any, but probaby Bett or North Scott. In 2A B-F, or maybe Cascade which is coming on, and in 1A probably GV Christian or N. Linn

Last edited:
I'm going to think about submitting my favorites in each substate for awhile. In 3A I think Norwalk is the strongest team. In 4A- just too many good ones. CF is as good as any, but probaby Bett or North Scott. In 2A B-F, or maybe Cascade which is coming on, and in 1A probably GV Christian or N. Linn
In 2A do you mean B-H (Boyden-Hull)?

Yes, North Linn is 2A this year.

Yeah, No inside news on Dowling, but they have made a statement the past week or so that they can play with the big boys in the CIML. I would have bet a few coins that they couldn't beat North. I still think North, with Locure, will prevail in the substates, but Dowling could be at Wells Fargo.

4A--

3A--

The 3A and 4A brackets are out. Who are your picks to get to The Well? It is going to be a very entertaining post season in both classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT