ADVERTISEMENT

3A, 4A Districts, Substates Question

EastIowaHawk

All District
Jan 6, 2008
Lots of good comments about the 1A and 2A districts, especially about the geographic distribution of teams. What are your comments about the upcoming 3A and 4A districts and substates? Seems as if there are not a lot of top teams in the far northeast, the southeast below Davenport, the southwest area except for two or three teams, and possibly the north central area above Waterloo/CF. Seems to me that 80% of the talented teams are jammed into the rest of the state's geographic and population areas. What do you think the state should do? The Des Moines area (especially) and east-central areas have an over-abundance of good teams.

Last edited:
As most of you guys know on the forums I primarily follow 1A & 2A basketball, but it seems the larger classes are facing the same dilemma. It seems to me this year the geography of some of these teams has really made it tough. Northwest/North central Iowa is crazy talented in 1A and 2A. Lots of top 10 teams playing each other in districts and substate matchups. In 3A and 4A it seems the opposite. Northwest iowa is very weak in 4A and below average in 3A. I think the boys in Boone are pretty lazy and will just match teams up based on wins. Don’t think they really care or look into strength of schedules

As most of you guys know on the forums I primarily follow 1A & 2A basketball, but it seems the larger classes are facing the same dilemma. It seems to me this year the geography of some of these teams has really made it tough. Northwest/North central Iowa is crazy talented in 1A and 2A. Lots of top 10 teams playing each other in districts and substate matchups. In 3A and 4A it seems the opposite. Northwest iowa is very weak in 4A and below average in 3A. I think the boys in Boone are pretty lazy and will just match teams up based on wins. Don’t think they really care or look into strength of schedules

I agree with most of what you said but I don't really think NW Iowa is below average in Class 3A. There aren't a lot of 3A teams in NW Iowa, but I think they more than have held their own over the last several years. Heelan, MOC-FV, Sergeant Bluff-Luton, Le Mars, and Spirit Lake are just a few who have made state/challenged for the state title in the last decade. Heck, even Spencer has been a high quality team most years. Really the only consistently below average 3A team in NW Iowa is Storm Lake. Not as good as other parts of the state, sure - but I'm not sure I would call it below average, especially given the lack of 3A schools over here.

I actually thought the state did a really good job this year in 4A. Clearly they must think Centenial is the best team in the state. Substate 7 is pretty tough though. Would not be surprised at all if Waukee doesn’t make it out of it

Kind of off topic here but I’ve been looking through stats and such and noticed will berg from valley isn’t even on there roster. does anybody know anything about that?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT