ADVERTISEMENT

2A Rankings - Shuffle

Feb 13, 2010
Always tough to assess teams with so few games played but it appears obvious that some teams need to be moved and the rankings shuffled quite a bit. Here's my quick rankings:
1. Xavier
2. Whalert
3. Decorah
4. Spencer
5. Glenwood
6. Heelan
7. Hudson
8. ADM
9. Waverly
10.Norwalk
11.Denison
12.Pella
13.Knoxville
14.Spirit Lake
15.Perry
Carroll, Grinnell, and probably others in the mix.

It is early in the season and I've only seen a couple of these teams play but these ratings appear reasonable.

Couple weeks ago I did make a trip to Adel to take advantage of CBSA playing in the area and saw them play against Knoxville. Knoxville looked very inexperienced, unorganized, and was completely outmatched by 1A CBSA in this one. WSR on the other hand appeared much sharper at the same tournament winning the consolation over CBSA in an OT shootout.

How about Marion. They have won 13 of their last 14 games, the only loss being at Wahlert on their field in the last .1 second in state tourney substate.

Good catch CeMar. Marion should probably be in the mix based on your note. Do they have a lot of guys/goals back this year? Nothing jumped out at me with their matches thus far this year.

They have most everyone back this year. Not saying that this team will win it all, but they will definitely not fear anyone.

Expect Waverly to perform well if for no other reason than they have excelled in all sports to this point. Football, boys basketball, wrestling, and even bowling all made it to state. It wouldnt surprise me to see soccer continue this trend. These kids have played together their whole lives, work hard, have tremendous chemistry, and have fun. That is a recipe for success.

What clubs do the majority of the Waverly kids play for? Do any of their players travel to play with EIU? ISC? CRSA?

Are any of the state runner-up basketball players out for soccer this year?

Still wondering why the 2A rankings don't seem to adjust enough to be accurate based on the latest matches. E.g, last week Perry beat ADM (2-0) and each team also had a victory against a decent opponent yet ADM is #9 and Perry is at #12.

Are the rankings taking into consideration other factors that are not always apparent - like injuries?

I haven't looked at the other classes that closely but I know 1A has had some confusing rankings as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT