ADVERTISEMENT

2A District/Substate Predictions

VanderHoops

Freshman
Feb 16, 2011
Substate Finals:
1: Western Christian over Sioux Center (SC struggles all year but peaks late to get this far)
2. West Fork over Pocahontas
3. New Hampton over Aplington Parkersburg
(best match-up to get a state berth)
4. Cascade over Monticello (40-32 final)
5. Iowa City Regina over Highland, Riverside (Regina has the easiest route to the Well)
6. Des Moines Christian over Pella Christian (DMC gets revenge for a narrow road loss)
7. Roland-Story over Panorama (weakest by far)
8. Treynor over IKM-Manning

Originally posted by VanderHoops:
Substate Finals:
D4 has 3 very solid teams in West Fork, Forest City and Clear Lake. Anyone of those teams could make a good run down in DSM.

Pocahontas hosts St. Edmond tonight in a matchup of the top two seeds in District 3. South Central Calhoun narrowly finished behind SE based on tiebreakers (I'm assuming) for the 3rd seed, but they do get to host both the first and second rounds of district play.

I think the winner of tonight's game will have a leg up in that race, although it's gonna be a challenge trying to beat a team they'll potentially see again in another three weeks.

The Gaels got off to a bit of a slow start, but they've shown sparks of a good team and they certainly will be battle-tested from this year's schedule. I think they proved that on their best night, they're capable of beating some good teams, after leading by double-digits most of the way in a 9-pt win over Clear Lake that snapped their conference win streak.

Substate Finals:
1: Western Christian over Sioux Center (SC struggles all year but peaks late to get this far)
3. New Hampton over Aplington Parkersburg
(best match-up to get a state berth)
4. Cascade over Monticello (40-32 final)
5. Iowa City Regina over Highland, Riverside (Regina has the easiest route to the Well)
6. Des Moines Christian over Pella Christian (DMC gets revenge for a narrow road loss)
7. Roland-Story over Panorama (weakest by far)
A couple of thoughts:

3. Have I missed the outrage from New Hampton and AP getting matched up? That's is probably gonna be #1 vs. #2.

5. Regina is on upset watch IMO and Notre Dame might be the team to do it. I think the Nikes get past Highland and play Regina to a close game.

6. Pella Christian has a hard road to that game with probably Albia and PCM in district/substate finals.

7. I wouldn't be surprised if that substate is Woodward vs. Central Decatur or I-35.

Substate 8 Final would be the 3rd meeting between IKM-Manning and Treynor in a little over a month. IKM-Manning won the first meeting 55-50 and the two will meet again on the 10th. Anybody with any insight on the two teams? Always interesting when teams from the same conference could meet up in the post season, especially in a substate final.

Originally posted by NeverReadTheTermsOfService:

A couple of thoughts:

3. Have I missed the outrage from New Hampton and AP getting matched up? That's is probably gonna be #1 vs. #2. You're not going to get much sympathy from NW Iowa on that one

5. Regina is on upset watch IMO and Notre Dame might be the team to do it. I think the Nikes get past Highland and play Regina to a close game.

6. Pella Christian has a hard road to that game with probably Albia and PCM in district/substate finals. Agree
7. I wouldn't be surprised if that substate is Woodward vs. Central Decatur or I-35.
7 is a toss-up among a bunch of mediocre teams.
This post was edited on 2/5 12:59 PM by VanderHoops

Why can't the boys in Boone get things figured out. There is no reason for the potential New Hampton vs AP in the substate. Both teams have had great seasons. Why not reward their regular season record with an appropriate draw for both teams. What a joke!!

Well I see SEV got screwed! They beat St eds and have better record and St eds gets a 1st rnd bye??? Typacal private school biass. You say st. eds is playing better but they will not get through poky or possibly SEV!

No. St Eds had the better 5-15 record and met all the tiebreaker criterias to beat out Poky for the 1 seed. You do realize they seed based upon the 5-15 games. Southeast Valley had 5 losses in those games and Poky and St. Eds had 4 a piece. Learn how its done before you criticize.

WOW - Private school bias? That is an unbelievable statement. Know the rules!

Originally posted by NeverReadTheTermsOfService:

A couple of thoughts:

3. Have I missed the outrage from New Hampton and AP getting matched up? That's is probably gonna be #1 vs. #2. You're not going to get much sympathy from NW Iowa on that one

6. Pella Christian has a hard road to that game with probably Albia and PCM in district/substate finals. Agree
7 is a toss-up among a bunch of mediocre teams.
This post was edited on 2/5 12:59 PM by VanderHoops
On #3, that's what I mean. Northwest Iowa has been all over Boone for a few of their match-ups but barring major upsets none of those substates will have a #1 vs. #2 matchup like this is likely going to be.

WHY DO THEY ONLY USE 5-15 GAMES. THAT IS TOTALLY STUPID! THEY SHOULD USE ALL GAMES UP TO THE TIME BRACKETS ARE RELEASED! OH WELL THE UNION ALWAYS DOES THINGS BACKWARDS ANYWAYS.

Excuse me for living and I don't follow how seeding is done in b-ball. As far as bias, yes but mostly just ST EDS
devil.r191677.gif

Originally posted by warriors dad:
WHY DO THEY ONLY USE 5-15 GAMES. THAT IS TOTALLY STUPID! THEY SHOULD USE ALL GAMES UP TO THE TIME BRACKETS ARE RELEASED! OH WELL THE UNION ALWAYS DOES THINGS BACKWARDS ANYWAYS.
Probably because they want them to get into a rhythm, and give teams time to prepare. Usually the last few games are non con anyway. If it makes you feel better, they're changing it to 1-15 next year.

Excuse me for living and I don't follow how seeding is done in b-ball. As far as bias, yes but mostly just ST EDS
devil.r191677.gif
You're biased towards St. Eds? What are you a double agent?

WDad,
Don't ask to be excused after you make an idiotic accusation based on your ignorance to the rules. Stand by your uneducated statement and continue to put your foot in your mouth. I believe another reason they don't count the first 5 games is for the teams who had their fball teams go deep and the bball players missed practice time. Makes sense doesn't it, or do you need a graphic organizer to explain it. I don't know any SEV fans, but I would imagine 99% of them are very good people with more than a handful of brain cells. For their sake, I hope most people - like myself - realize you are a poor representation of their fan base. Good luck to all the teams, and may the best teams - at the time post season begins - make it to the Well.

Saints, well you must not go to the f-ball board much because me and dt61 have been having alittle funwith our 2 schoolsthat we root for.I mean no harm but like Hawkeye fans (GO HAWKS,GOOD WIN TONITE!!!!) we really don't like the CY-CLOWNS and I went to school in FD (NOT ST EDS!!!) I graduated in 87 and we dodgers really disliked the GAELS so there you have it,sorry if I offendend you

I am pretty sure Pocahontas actually got the number one seed. And St Ed's number 2.
SCC number 3 and SEV number 4.

Honestly didn't look that far into it, but we can all agree Southeast Valley was never in the running for a bye. Just a bitter parent who is hating on a school with some continued success.

Well it will be interesting B-Ball in D-3, looks like ST EDS took POKY down to the wire last night so if both get to the finals of there district would be a good rematch! I am hoping for a SEV game against the Gaels but as they say 1 game at a time!

Well it will be interesting B-Ball in D-3, looks like ST EDS took POKY down to the wire last night so if both get to the finals of there district would be a good rematch! I am hoping for a SEV game against the Gaels but as they say 1 game at a time!
You just gotta avenge a 75-40 loss to Pocahontas first and then you could get your chance.
wink.r191677.gif

Top 2 players did not play in that game I believe due to sickness so well see. SCC beat us 1st game and we had continuos clock going on tues and won by 20 something so I guess we will find out!!

Point of order. Sev did get blown out by pocy. No sick kids, just got beat. Conrad kid had worst game of the year. Team never got going while pocy had their best shooting game of the year. A rematch is looming. Could be interesting. Pocy has the edge, but if they are off, sev could upset.

What an absolute joke that AP and New Hampton got put in the same substate. I would think they should get rewarded by doing well in the season and that the best 8 teams should be in Des Moines but I guess not

This is what happens in Northwest Iowa every year, especially in 1A. This year both 1A and 3A know the feeling. Welcome to the club.

Joker I must have been misinformed then, only been to 1 game this year so my bad if true but anyway they seem to be playing better but POKY will be very tough.

Substate 2 is no sure bet on either side. West Fork will have to beat some quality teams to make it this far and I don't think they can. Garner-Hayfield-Ventura, Clear Lake and Forest City all have the firepower to win the District. I would imagine one of those 3 will be the representative of this district.

District 4 win totals so far,
Forest City 18
West Fork 17
Lake Mills 16
GHV 15
Clear Lake 12 - probably have had the strongest schedule out all of these teams
Clarion 7

I have not figures all of the other districts win totals but I would be surprised if any others were as deep as this one. 5 very solid teams

That is a pretty solid district. Whoever comes out of this side should be the favorite to make it to the Well.

OK, now we actual have the substate pairings.
Who's your pick to make it to the Well?

Substate Finals:
1: Western Christian over Sioux Center (SC finally playing well-will be a dogfight)
2. Forest City over Pocahontas
3. New Hampton over Aplington Parkersburg (still toughest match-up)
4. Cascade over Monticello (Cascade got a scare. Expect a low scoring affair)
5. Iowa City Regina over West Burlington
7. Panorama over Woodward Academy

Cascade/Monticello

I officiated both teams this year. Both looked good. However, when I did the Monticello vs Wilton 3-4 weeks ago, Monticello looked excellent. A couple pure shooters that shot the eyes out of it. Good inside play with all players boxing out strong. Fundamentally sound and very few turnovers.

I just watched Cascade blow a 29-7 lead against Northeast and go to Overtime to eek 1 out. They don't go very deep on the bench and foul trouble really would hurt them. That 2-3 zone defense they play is as good as it gets.

I just don't think a good shooting team like Monticello will get held in the 30's for points. I'm sure that the good shooters will make Cascade extend their zone out farther which will weaken the inside a little bit. If Monticello can exploit that, I see them winning. If I had to bet, I'm going Monticello 50-46.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT