ADVERTISEMENT

2A brackets

I've seen wolfpack before. That seems to be more of a fishing post than anything else.

Pretending to boast about his team, but really he is on the other side of the fence as Western is usually the target for a lot of talk (recruiting, private school, etc).

Come tourney time all teams are capable of being beat...that is why they play the games. When teams think they can't be beat, that is when they get beat. There are upsets every year down at state. So to say one team is already written in as state champs is pretty bold...and serves as motivation for other teams. I think 2A state tourney is going to be pretty interesting.

Originally posted by DarkThunder#61:
And now for a look at the matchups. To keep things shorter I'll only focus on any of the top 4 who may potentially have an opponent with a solid above-.500 record. We'll say 12-9 is the cut off. Some leeway for teams ranked highly in BCMoore's rankings/potentially will finish with 12 wins.

So...who's got the toughest potential 2nd round draw?.....

Region 1-
Okoboji vs winner of HMS (10-10)/Sioux Central (13-6) (29)

Region 2-
St. Edmond vs winner of PV (9-10)/Carroll Kuemper (11-7) (11)

Region 3-
West Marshall vs winner of North Tama (8-11)/Iowa Valley (15-5) (36)

Dike-New Hartford vs winner of BCLUW (1-17)/AGWSR (11-7) (31)

Region 4-
Bellevue vs winner of Starmont (10-12)/Clayton Ridge-Guttenberg (15-5) (32)

Maquoketa Valley vs winner of MFL-Mar-Mac (10-12)/Edgewood-Colesburg (13-6) (28)

Sumner-Fredericksburg vs winner of Nashua-Plainfield (3-15)/North Fayette (13-6) (47)

North Butler vs winner of Saint Ansgar (7-14)/South Winneshiek (13-7) (35)

Region 6-
Des Moines Christian vs winner of Mount Ayr (10-11)/Central Decatur (17-3) (43)

Pella Christian vs winner of Packwood, Pekin (11-11)/Van Buren, Keosauqua (16-5) (54)

North Mahaska vs winner of Cardinal, Eldon (7-12)/Eddyville-Blakesburg (12-7) (38)

Region 7-
Nodaway Valley vs winner of West Central Valley (5-13)/Van Meter (12-9) (50)

Region 8-
Hinton vs winner of Alta-Aurelia (4-15)/Ridge View (12-10) (48)

Tri-Center, Neola vs winner of Logan-Magnolia (3-18)/ CB St. Albert (10-7) (27)

Lawton-Bronson vs winner of Maple Valley-Anthon-Oto (13-9) (45)/Missouri Valley (14-6) (52)
While on paper, FDSE seems to have one of the tougher 2nd round draws in Ck, I have to think that Region 6 is the most prime for upsets. All 3 of those teams with bye's could lose.

I don't think anyone in Region 3 is in real danger in 2nd round.

Region 4 looks promising for an upset but I really don't know any of those teams.

However, this long layoff some of these teams with byes will have can do funny things to teams.

Originally posted by house54hoops:
I don't think invites have been sent yet. Something to do with getting permission from their conferences or something.

I want the Cougars! MNW is pretty solid in all sports and I feel they would be a great fit to the NCC. I'm biased though because it gives me a reason to go back home to watch some games!
MNW would be a fairly good fit for the NCC. Closer for most of the schools on the west side of the conference. Just a little extra travel to the west of FD for those on the east side.

I'm sure MNW would welcome the challenge moving up to the NCC, but they also seem like they'd be pretty loyal to the conference they've been a part of for years now. Manson is kind of a figurehead for that conference....especially considering they're like 5 miles from Twin Lakes.....
tongue.r191677.gif

DoIt I agree with you its someone being dumb. But thats ok we need those people too. HWC is very very good I watched them play Heelan and they played very well. Anyone can win in any game so as good as they are on paper they need to bring their A-Game every game. Just like the rest of the top seeds in each region.

Originally posted by terrehawk:

While on paper, FDSE seems to have one of the tougher 2nd round draws in Ck, I have to think that Region 6 is the most prime for upsets. All 3 of those teams with bye's could lose.

I don't think anyone in Region 3 is in real danger in 2nd round.

Region 4 looks promising for an upset but I really don't know any of those teams.

However, this long layoff some of these teams with byes will have can do funny things to teams.
I made a couple corrections to reflect BCMoore's current rankings. Kuemper is now #9 in the computers at 12-7. No other top 26 BCM teams will potentially meet in the 2nd rd (as of now).

However, I wouldn't necessarily say that's the toughest draw.

I will call it a experienced confidence. If the Wolfpack play even remotely well, they will dominate the 2a field. Big test tonight in conference finally at ELC. Last year, they dominated this final game and it was a jump start to the state championship run. With ELC moving to 3a and OABCIG losing Pauley to graduation, you all tell me who is gonna challenge Western and how. No other team goes 11 deep and runs like they do so, yes, to all you uninformed private school haters, let me feel your wrath...

Originally posted by wolfpackattack:

I will call it a experienced confidence. If the Wolfpack play even remotely well, they will dominate the 2a field. Big test tonight in conference finally at ELC. Last year, they dominated this final game and it was a jump start to the state championship run. With ELC moving to 3a and OABCIG losing Pauley to graduation, you all tell me who is gonna challenge Western and how. No other team goes 11 deep and runs like they do so, yes, to all you uninformed private school haters, let me feel your wrath...
15g6454656.gif

This post was edited on 2/12 10:18 PM by icu81222

I don't see a lot of people disagreeing with you wolfpack so I am not sure what you are so upset about....and who said they hate private schools? I said that you are undoubtedly the most talented team in the field....others have just said that on any given night someone can be beat- lots of things can happen. But I will grant you- if you play well it is highly unlikely anyone can beat you.
And also, I cannot remember a team in recent history that can go 11 deep and be consistent- so hat's off to your "director of player development"- something is going right up at HWC.

Getting a little heated in here. My kind of discussion. Wolfpack makes it easy to cheer against Western, and if my memory serves me right; before the season started there were several posters and maybe one of them was Wolfpack who said that Western would not be touched this year, they were the best team in all classes. Well one night against Heelan shot that one down. And the one thing that you never want to challenge is fate at tournament time and all of the variables that can knock a team out. A team like Western who relies on transition, turnovers and 3's can have problems with certain types of match ups on a cold shooting night. 2a is loaded with teams that are deep. You don't have to be 11 deep to beat a team that plays 11. You have to be efficient with the ball (no turnovers that lead to lay-ups), (no long shots that lead to lay-ups). Your Guards have to be able to get the ball where it needs to go. You have to rebound it well. Limiting the number of 2nd shot attempts per possession is a vital stat. Using their aggressiveness against them. (Western turns the ball over 15 times a game). Getting to the free throw line, And finding ways to attack their pressure to score/ or to control the ball depending on your team's philosophy. I look at the 2A field there are teams that can compete and beat Western. Will it happen I don't know. I am excited to see how this all unfolds. Thanks Wolfpack for fueling the fire. Some of your statements could fire up a David to knock of Goliath.

All of us know what the point is, HWC girls are very good. What you proved to us is that your an arrogant idiot (I'm trying to be nice).

Vikefan, Woobster, Key and others including myself all know what its going to take to win it, but don't sit there and insult us with your arrogance no one wants to listen to it.

Now if you want to talk High School Girls Bball and be civil about it then I'm sure everyone will be more than willing to join in.

Exactly Husker- that is my point- anyone want to talk about basketball or does Wolfepack just want us all to stay home from DM to acknowledge that western is so good- nobody else need to come to town?
I am not sure what "point" I helped you prove there western- but I'm glad I could help. I have not seen your team play but the common response I get from people who have is "wow". So, enjoy the fact that you have a great team- that you will probably go back to back and stop trying to make everything so personal. At MNW- we are in what we thought might be a "set up" year- but now- it appears we have a good chance to make state- as good as Kuemper, St. Ed's and Panorama- or any other team in the region.
C'mon Wolfpack - relax and put the "christian" in Hull Western Christian by showing your love for all who play this great game.
This post was edited on 2/5 2:22 PM by WadeWubben

Sorry if i offended anyone, just a little fun that some of you can't handle? DarkThunder figured it out i think...

But seriously now. looking at the brackets and regions, here are my picks...

1.Western
2.St. Eds (based on strength of schedule, really good region)
3.Hudson (just a guess/hunch, strongest region, anybody's guess)
4.Maquoketa Valley (don't think it matters, weeker region)
5.North Linn
6.Pella Christian (showin love to another private, again weeker region)
7.IKM-Manning
8.Lawton-Bronson (Hinton might challenge, best regional final)

Regions 1, 5 and 7 should not be highly contested. 2 and 3 are the best regions, not a lot of knowledge on these areas. 4 and 6 are weeker regions and will more than likely be eliminated first round at State. Region 8, I wanted to show Hinton some love but LB is too strong.
This post was edited on 2/5 3:21 PM by wolfpackattack

As a long-time reader, and occasional poster, I have always enjoyed the Girls Sports Forum. Lots of excellent posters. In fact, I would say there are several that would qualify as wise. I have never been able to settle on which poster was the wisest - until now. I won't stretch out the suspense....it's wolfpackattack! I am sure this surprises no regulars on this forum, and it is certainly not meant as a slight to any other posters. After reading wolfpack's last few posts of true and utter pearls of wisdom, I have to say that I am humbled to even be able to share the same internet! Kudos, ol' wise one!

Agreed Raider- it is his forum and the rest of us just pay rent.

This post was edited on 2/5 3:11 PM by WadeWubben

(Top 15 rank-team-record-BCM rank[/I])
Region 1-
#1 Western Christian (19-1) (1)
Okoboji, Milford (15-6) (25)
North Union (13-7) (34)
South O'Brien (13-7) (40)

Region 2-
#5 Panorama (19-1) (8)
#7 Manson Northwest Webster (18-2) (7)
#14 St. Edmond (19-2) (13)
West Hancock (17-3) (26)

Region 3-
#8 Aplington-Parkersburg (16-3) (5)
#10 West Marshall (18-3) (9)
#12 Hudson (18-2) (10)
Dike-New Hartford (13-6) (15)

Region 4-
#6 North Butler (17-1) (13)
#15 Maquoketa Valley (16-5) (12)
Bellevue (16-4) (21)
Sumner-Fredericksburg (17-2) (37)

Region 5-
#3 North Linn (20-1) (4)
Iowa City Regina (15-4) (16)
West Branch (14-4) (22)
Highland, Riversde (12-10) (71)

Region 6-
#11 Pella Christian (14-5) (17)
#13 North Mahaska (19-1) (19)
Des Moines Christian (17-3) (23)
Woodward-Granger (17-4) (24)

Region 7-
#2 IKM-Manning (19-0) (2)
Treynor (18-2) (20)
Audubon (11-8) (42)
Nodaway Valley (14-7) (62)

Region 8-
#4 Lawton-Bronson (20-1) (3)
#9 Hinton (15-3) (6)
Woodbury Central (16-4) (18)
Tri-Center, Neola (14-5) (30)#61[/I]
I'll get this one to page 2.

My picks:

Region 1 Western Christian-They will walk through

Region 2 Manson NWW-Think they are the team to beat over Panorama and FDSE. Best player in 2a?

Region 3 Dike/W Marshall-Both teams seem to have hit stride. Rematch from OT game early in yr.

Region 4 Maquoketa Valley--SOS seams much more difficult than N Butler

Region 5 N Linn. Not a particularly strong district. They eek by

Region 6 I'd like to pick N Mahaska but their schedule is weak. Flip a coin with PC and DMC. Weakest region by far.

Region 7 IKM-They should walk through

Region 8 LB/Hinton-Should be the best game of the bunch. Too close to call

Intresting about the NCC small and large conference idea, in what stage is that has there been any articles written about it that I could catch? Understandable why the small schools are getting a little tired of getting beat up on so that would be a great idea for all involved and allow for more out of conf games.
Really arent a lot of power teams for districts so wouldnt be shocked by about 4 of the districts having a surprise team make it to state this year, should be a heck of a ride.

What'st the matter wolfpack- that fund for "player development" getting low up there?

I think the predictions above will end up pretty close. I would pick LB over Hinton at this point. I don't know if Herzberg is the best player in 2A but she is right at the top- 2A could put together a pretty good all-star team.

I wish I was wolfpack......doesn't the state hand out free skyboxes when no one else has a snowball's chance in hell of winning the state title. OMG I wish I was wolfpack.

I agree Woobster, I think the matchups and outcomes are pretty accurate. I haven't seen any teams from the East play so I can't speak for them. LB is going to have to play like they did on Feb 2nd to beat Hinton they are a big team that is long and can jump. It will take a great effort.

It doesn't matter anyway right Woobster? Rumor has we are all playing for second place.

Disagree with North Mahaska. Yes, they have a weak schedule...but if they have anywhere close to the same defense that they did last year, they'll be at state. Very deceiving team.

I let you all know how that skybox is at the Well when im sitting in it in a couple weeks...I don't think the fund is getting low, the director just needs a raise...

Yeah, I wish I knew more about those teams over East- know about AP and DNH but not the others.

Now, does the state not decide first round state tournament games until the state teams are set? So you cannot scout your first round opponent at state or am i wrong about that.
When I coached they had lines drawn and you knew who you would play so you could go scout that game.

I do not believe you will find out who your state opponent is until after you win your regional.

Teams that qualify for state are to exchange game tapes of their regional semi-final and Regional Final game with their first round opponent. So I believe that the state pairings will not be released until after the regional final games.

Exactly right Magic. Then the pairings are based on final rankings. We could see IKMM V LB III in semifinals. Good for the Western Valley, would be third year of a rematch of conference foes at state for the WVAC in the last 4 years. Only this time it will be the two teams OABCIG beat at state in 2010 (darn MNWW) and 2011. With IKMM and OABCIG both losing in semis last year to Western and Pella Christian.

Been a very good run for the Western Valley. Hope to see ArWeVa, IKMM and LB go for another state title. Not quite like the Sioux County schools have dominated in boys BB, but very good none the less.

Here at MNWW we don't apologize for finally beating OABCIG/BCIG in a big game- heck, there for awhile I expected to see a sign at Wells Fargo that read, "Welcome to the OABCIG invitational". I went to Ida Grove the other night and wondered why with school colors of purple, grey, and black they would paint the walls blue- then I figured out it was just all those state tournament banners that made it look that way!

My picks:

Region 1: Western
Region 2: Manson NW
Region 3: West Marshall
Region 4: Bellevue
Region 5: North Linn
Region 6: Pella Christian
Region 7: IKM
Region 8: Lawton Bronson

I'd wager LB and/or IKM-Manning might find a way to bring down western. Wouldn't surprise me either way. Sounds like a lot of great teams out there!

Final rankings are out. (See below) Interesting to see the seedings when the final 8 teams make it through.

With this, we might be able to see what could likely be the seedings depending on who wins.

Here is what it would look like if the top seeds win their regions and who the likely contenders might be.

Seed 1 #1 Western (Region 1)

Seed 2 #2 Lawton Bronson (Region 8) if they beat #11 Hinton or unranked Woodbury Central

Seed 3 #3 IKM (Region 7) if they beat unranked Treynor

Seed 4 #4 N Linn (Region 5) if they beat unranked Regina/W Branch

Seed 5 #5 N Butler (Region 4) if they beat #14 Maquoketa or #15 Sumner Fredericksburg

Seed 6 #6 Manson NWW (Region 2) if they beat #7 Panorama or #13 FDSE

Seed 7 #8 W Marshall (Region 3) if they beat #9 Hudson or #10 AP or unranked DNH

Seed 8 #12 N Mahaska (Region 6) if they beat unranked DM Christian or Pella Christian

Class 2A

1 Western Christian 20-1

2 Lawton-Bronson 21-1

3 IKM-Manning 19-1

4 North Linn 20-1

5 North Butler 17-1

6 Manson-NW Webster 18-2

7 Panorama 20-2

8 West Marshall 18-3

9 Hudson 19-2

10 Aplington-Parkersburg 17-3

11 Hinton 16-3

12 North Mahaska 20-1

13 Fort Dodge St. Edmond 19-2

14 Maquoketa Valley 16-5

15 Sumner-Fredericksburg 18-2

Terrehawk,

I liked your post. Laid it out nicely. Seed 2 I think it will be Lawton and Hinton. Woodbury was a team I marked as a surprise team earlier this season...still think it will be Hinton vs. Lawton. with Lawton with W.

Region #2 Very tough. MansonNW Webster will batttle in my opinion with Panorama. If they face each other in a regional final that would be worth the price of admission, but I plan on watching our own team. (woobster if that is the regional final would love to get updates) Kuemper is very streaky now and not sure which team will show up. FDSE is also a solid program.

Region #3 Wow not sure on this one...I think Hudson shoots the 3 ball pretty well. 4 teams could come out of there.

I can't update to facebook via my phone so you would have to get me your cell #
My email is public information anyway on the school website so here it is:

wwubben@manson-nw.k12.ia.us if it works out they play- I would def. said you updates

You are right- some really good matchups and a few "toss ups" which is what you should have in a regional final game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT