ADVERTISEMENT

2A brackets

atomic87

Freshman
Feb 2, 2010
Lo and behold, the top 8 teams in the most recent IGHSAU rankings are all in different regions.

Region 2 has #9 Manson NWW vs. #6 Panorama
Region 3 has #10 Hudson vs. #5 A-P with #15 West Marshall also in the mix
Region 4 has #14 Maq Valley and #7 North Butler.
Region 6 has #12 DM Christian, #13 Woodward Granger and #8 North Mahaska
Region 8 has #8 Hinton vs. #4 Lawton-Bronson

#1 Western Christian (Region 1), #2 IKM (Region 7) and #3 N Linn (Region 5) are the only currently ranked teams in their regions.

I would say the brackets are pretty consistent with brackets in the past....question will be are there any surprises this year. I still think region 3 could get exciting with Dike New Hartford in there- although they are unranked.
Never forget- Mt. Vernon was unranked in 2010 and won the championship.

Do not know if there is a team like that out there...but will probably be a surprise here and there.

My early predictions would be:
Western
IKM-Manning
LB
DM Christian
Maq Valley
Manson Nw Webster
AP
North Linn

I cannot say I am picking teams like North LInn or Maq Valley because I know anything about them...more just going with the rating.
I think Hudson, although they are very well coached, will have a difficult time overcoming the injuries.

Hudson has injuries? Can you elaborate?

I think Region 3 is loaded. As you said, Dike is very tough. Rankings don't mean much this time of year, I am sure there will be upsets and surprises as always. It's all about who gets hot at the right time.

OOOPS!! My bad- I meant North Butler in region 4- I would pick them if not for the injuries they have suffered which have been talked about. My mistake- hopefully Hudson does not have any injuries- I stand corrected.

Ok - gotcha. Always tough to see injuries happen at any time, but especially come tournaments.

I agree it is a sad thing to see. You always want to try to beat a team when they are at their best.

Originally posted by WadeWubben:

I would say the brackets are pretty consistent with brackets in the past....question will be are there any surprises this year. I still think region 3 could get exciting with Dike New Hartford in there- although they are unranked.
Never forget- Mt. Vernon was unranked in 2010 and won the championship.

Do not know if there is a team like that out there...but will probably be a surprise here and there.

My early predictions would be:
Western
IKM-Manning
LB
DM Christian
Maq Valley
Manson Nw Webster
AP
North Linn

I cannot say I am picking teams like North LInn or Maq Valley because I know anything about them...more just going with the rating.
I think Hudson, although they are very well coached, will have a difficult time overcoming the injuries.
I agree, region 3 will get very dicey. Four very tough teams for sure. Lot will depend on how Schipper comes back from knee surgery.

Its not the end all but I think the W Marshall win over AP, is making them look like the favorite for that district right now but have to agree it could be any of the four teams with a bye from that district just have to get hot at the right time.

I was a bit surprised by that score, from all the talk on these boards, sounds like AP has one heck of a team. Apparently so does West Marshall. Looks like Coach Zeller has them playing very good ball at the right time.

Anyone at that game who could provide insight?

No Excuses, West Marshall played lights out and AP played very lathargic and uninspired. They had some sickness and are still missing a key girl. However that is no excuse. I will guarantee that they will bounce back. West Marshall is very good. That is a tough district and whoever wins will be deserving. If those two played again, it would be a very good game, because AP couldn't have played any worse then what they did. Props to West Marshall, they played well.

Everyone has an off night, no doubt about that. You are right, that district is tough. Should be some very good ball games on the way to DM.

Don't sleep on North Mahaska, it looks like they come from a bad conference, but we thought that last year too in 1A and look what happened. Their man to man defense was one of the best defenses I've ever saw last year at state, and it looks to be just as good this year. They'll ride that a long way.

How in the world is the substate final for d3 and d4 being played in Eldora? It is nowhere near large enough for that game.

AP
Dike
Hudson
W Marshall

Are the teams likely to make it and they will all travel fairly well.

I saw AP lost again last night. This substate just got even more interesting
Posted from Rivals Mobile

That is a weird location, would imagine that will get changed yet because that would definitely not be enough space for a game with state on the line. AP is looking weaker by the week would imagine W Marshall being the favorite followed by Hudson.

Starting to look like A-P won't be at state. My pick is Hudson or West Marshall.

I am calling Dike New Hartford- play great defense- many of those kids have played on the big stage in volleyball....but we shall see.

Plus, Dahl will out coach Hempen. Brittney McKowen schooled him last night. Technical by Hempen last night cost his team 4 points with like 3 minutes left. AP ended up losing by 4.

I don't know much about Coach Hempen...but I will say that I doubt anybody is going to outcoach Bruce Dall....he's been there too many times. Wow- a technical with 3 minutes to play? Must have really done something to earn it- refs usually won't give them that late in a close game.

Let us take a gander at the top 4 seeds in each region and how they rank both from the Union and from BCMoore. Later we will look at their potential 2nd rd matchups and see who has it easy and who the state decided that no favors were needed.

(Top 15 rank-team-record-BCM rank)
Region 1-
#1 Western Christian (19-1) (1)
Okoboji, Milford (15-6) (25)
North Union (13-7) (34)
South O'Brien (13-7) (40)

Region 2-
#5 Panorama (19-1) (8)
#7 Manson Northwest Webster (18-2) (7)
#14 St. Edmond (19-2) (13)
West Hancock (17-3) (26)

Region 3-
#8 Aplington-Parkersburg (16-3) (5)
#10 West Marshall (18-3) (9)
#12 Hudson (18-2) (10)
Dike-New Hartford (13-6) (15)

Region 4-
#6 North Butler (17-1) (13)
#15 Maquoketa Valley (16-5) (12)
Bellevue (16-4) (21)
Sumner-Fredericksburg (17-2) (37)

Region 5-
#3 North Linn (20-1) (4)
Iowa City Regina (15-4) (16)
West Branch (14-4) (22)
Highland, Riversde (12-10) (71)

Region 6-
#11 Pella Christian (14-5) (17)
#13 North Mahaska (19-1) (19)
Des Moines Christian (17-3) (23)
Woodward-Granger (17-4) (24)

Region 7-
#2 IKM-Manning (19-0) (2)
Treynor (18-2) (20)
Audubon (11-8) (42)
Nodaway Valley (14-7) (62)

Region 8-
#4 Lawton-Bronson (20-1) (3)
#9 Hinton (15-3) (6)
Woodbury Central (16-4) (18)
Tri-Center, Neola (14-5) (30)

This post was edited on 2/2 11:13 PM by DarkThunder#61

This post was edited on 2/5 1:05 AM by DarkThunder#61

agreed region 3 champion is someone know one will debate on whether they belong at state this year, region 4 on the otherhand with North Butler having so many injuries I would imagine all four bye teams being able to win that region. Im hoping for a DNH win over AP if it gets to that point but they have to be able to score better than they have against them in the past.

And now for a look at the matchups. To keep things shorter I'll only focus on any of the top 4 who may potentially have an opponent with a solid above-.500 record. We'll say 12-9 is the cut off. Some leeway for teams ranked highly in BCMoore's rankings/potentially will finish with 12 wins.

So...who's got the toughest potential 2nd round draw?.....

Region 1-
Okoboji vs winner of HMS (10-10)/Sioux Central (13-6) (29)

Region 2-
St. Edmond vs winner of PV (9-10)/Carroll Kuemper (12-7) (9)

Region 3-
West Marshall vs winner of North Tama (8-11)/Iowa Valley (15-5) (36)

Dike-New Hartford vs winner of BCLUW (1-17)/AGWSR (11-7) (31)

Region 4-
Bellevue vs winner of Starmont (10-12)/Clayton Ridge-Guttenberg (15-5) (32)

Maquoketa Valley vs winner of MFL-Mar-Mac (10-12)/Edgewood-Colesburg (13-6) (28)

Sumner-Fredericksburg vs winner of Nashua-Plainfield (3-15)/North Fayette (13-6) (47)

North Butler vs winner of Saint Ansgar (7-14)/South Winneshiek (13-7) (35)

Region 6-
Des Moines Christian vs winner of Mount Ayr (10-11)/Central Decatur (17-3) (43)

Pella Christian vs winner of Packwood, Pekin (11-11)/Van Buren, Keosauqua (16-5) (54)

North Mahaska vs winner of Cardinal, Eldon (7-12)/Eddyville-Blakesburg (12-7) (38)

Region 7-
Nodaway Valley vs winner of West Central Valley (5-13)/Van Meter (12-9) (50)

Region 8-
Hinton vs winner of Alta-Aurelia (4-15)/Ridge View (12-10) (48)

Tri-Center, Neola vs winner of Logan-Magnolia (3-18)/ CB St. Albert (10-7) (27)

Lawton-Bronson vs winner of Maple Valley-Anthon-Oto (13-9) (45)/Missouri Valley (14-6) (52)

This post was edited on 2/5 1:04 AM by DarkThunder#61

That Kuemper/St. Ed's game will a very good one. I know St Ed's recently beat them- but I also know that many people believe kuemper is starting hit their stride at the right time- played Heelan to a 7 point game a couple weeks ago.

I also agree that region 3 is difficult- having said that- a regional final between Hinton and LB would be really hard to top- that is two outstanding teams. But, when you get to the final- you better have two good teams.

Originally posted by Woobster:

That Kuemper/St. Ed's game will a very good one. I know St Ed's recently beat them- but I also know that many people believe kuemper is starting hit their stride at the right time- played Heelan to a 7 point game a couple weeks ago.

I also agree that region 3 is difficult- having said that- a regional final between Hinton and LB would be really hard to top- that is two outstanding teams. But, when you get to the final- you better have two good teams.
And why shouldn't SE start their postseason with a difficult contest? They have just about every other year for the last 6-7 years now.
smokin.r191677.gif

The only thing that stinks for them and other teams who are now done with their regular season and have a bye is that they have a 10-day layoff between games.

Kuemper still has two plus the 1st round game vs PV.

They may need to tweak the schedules going into next year now that teams could potentially face long layoffs like this with the new formats/extra class.

That is poor scheduling on the part of somebody....nobody would want 10 days off at this point in the season- would be a good week to have a tough tuesday night non-conference game.
Just think- if you can beat Kuemper again you will have Panorama waiting for you!!

And BTW- I always felt like MNW had a tough first rounder when we played the Gaels- in 2009 we were 21-0 and you guys were 19-2 and we played first round- go figure.

I think has to do with the way the NCC sets its schedules. I think all the 2A and 3A teams are done playing their conference games and the only way to have one left is to have a non conference game and most other conferences are still playing. The bigger schools have another week before they start tournament so they still play each other. It also has to something to do with the schedule that the state bumped back state.

It should help when the conference goes to divisions, if that happens. It would take away from conference games but allow for some better scheduling. 18 conference game is a lot.
This post was edited on 2/3 4:28 PM by house54hoops

Large schools - Webster City, Humboldt, IFA, Clear Lake, and Algona
Small schools - St. Edmond, Hampton-Dumont, *Clarion-Goldfield, and *Eagle Grove. If both of them stay. As of know i've heard they will but you never know.

Also, invites will be sent to around 10 schools around the area to see if they would want to join the conference. The goal is to have a 10-12 team league with 2 divisions. Teams would play their own league teams twice and the other side once per year.

I've been told they also want to have a title game between the two league champs but I don't know how that would work, unless they just schedule an extra conference date for everyone to play. Example 1 vs. 1, 2 vs 2, etc. Otherwise not all schools would play 21 games.

Originally posted by house54hoops:
Large schools - Webster City, Humboldt, IFA, Clear Lake, and Algona
Small schools - St. Edmond, Hampton-Dumont, *Clarion-Goldfield, and *Eagle Grove. If both of them stay. As of know i've heard they will but you never know.

Also, invites will be sent to around 10 schools around the area to see if they would want to join the conference. The goal is to have a 10-12 team league with 2 divisions. Teams would play their own league teams twice and the other side once per year.

I've been told they also want to have a title game between the two league champs but I don't know how that would work, unless they just schedule an extra conference date for everyone to play. Example 1 vs. 1, 2 vs 2, etc. Otherwise not all schools would play 21 games
Well I'm still trying to wrap my head around that possibility, but they could also throw in a non-conference game for those who wouldn't play in the "CCG".

But yeah that would be a good idea to have every team play each other, if that's what turns out to be the case.

Not sure how to feel about only getting the bigger schools once a year. There's plenty of good matchups and it's a challenging schedule, at least for SE, which helps come tourney time. Not to mention getting to travel to the different venues.

I think the only way it can be done is to have a "TBA" game in the conference. That way 1 vs.1, 2 vs.2, etc could give you a second game against one other team from the other division. I don't think you would be able to schedule another non conference game and than cancel. Most of the time those are scheduled will ahead of time.

My understanding if the new proposal for the NCC is that although the small schools would only play the large schools once, this would open up more spots for non-conference games. With these open slots, St. Edmond could schedule to play Algona or another large school a second time. I think Clarion is pretty happy with the new proposal and I've heard that even Eagle Grove is reconsidering staying in the league. I am curious as to what schools have been invited. I would think South Hamilton would be a good fit in the small division. I doubt it will happen, but I would like to see West Fork join the small division. It would give them a chance to play some more competition--they certainly have the talent to compete on the boys side and their girls would be competitive most years as well. I have heard that the talks between the North Iowa Conference and the Corn Bowl Conference aren't going anywhere for now.

I don't think invites have been sent yet. Something to do with getting permission from their conferences or something.

I want the Cougars! MNW is pretty solid in all sports and I feel they would be a great fit to the NCC. I'm biased though because it gives me a reason to go back home to watch some games!

I think most would agree with you, not that 2nd is bad. Plus, you never know- anything can happen...but on paper- yes, you obviously have the best team.

+1 Woobster but they better bring their A-Game anything less they could get beat.

Those are pretty bold words, I hope for your sake the girls can back it up.

Indeed WC is the #1 team.......................for right now.

I would guess if anybody was indifferent to HWC they probably moved over to the "I hope they get beat" side after the bold prediction from wolfpackattack- you just never know. I remember MNW went down in 2007 and played undefeated and defending state champ North Butler- MNW was not rated or was maybe 15th- and North Butler won on a shot by Erin Brocka with 4 seconds to go 37-35 so while I understand the confidence of HWC- anything can happen.

Being a knowledgeable fan of NWI bball, I'm pretty sure this joker wolfpackattack doesn't represent the mindset of the WC coaches, players, and fans. They know anyone can be beaten on a given night. As previous posts state, there are so may variables that go into how a team performs on a given night....especially with girls:)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT