ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Playoff Prediction Contest

waukon is in a good spot. I think they are a title team. really I think it’s between CL and waukon. hearing WL doesn’t have much of a chance against CL. also heard WL is down to there 5th string qb. hope the state separates CL and waukon so they meet in the ship!

waukon is in a good spot. I think they are a title team. really I think it’s between CL and waukon. hearing WL doesn’t have much of a chance against CL. also heard WL is down to there 5th string qb. hope the state separates CL and waukon so they meet in the ship!

West Lyon will have a chance in any game they play in. They have an offensive line that is probably better than their college pipeline program Northwestern. (The one in Orange City) 64, 75, and 51 are all guys that could step foot on a smaller college campuses tomorrow and compete for a starting job. Everyone talks about Vermeer but I'm not even sure he's the best one. As long as they have a couple guys in the backfield that can put 1 foot in front of the other at a rate faster than 5.0 40 they will be just fine. When you churn out 4 yards a play they will be incredibly tough for any team to beat. The last game CLGLR had 42 offensive plays that was due in most part to the offensive line getting a 5 yard push not because the backs were breaking or avoiding tackles. Its the playoffs everyone's got injuries that they are battling through.

These 4 games will all be great games. There are no more easy games left as all 8 are great teams. Camanche is sneaky good, Waukon and Solon are both returning state runner ups, and WL and CL are obviously both very good. PCM is the team that is really interesting to me. They are very good, but played such a weak schedule that I can't really tell how good they really are. I think your dome teams are Central Lyon, Waukon, PCM, and Camanche. Nothing but great games left in 2A the rest of the year regardless of this Friday's outcomes.

Quarter Finals
AllStateSnub8
4​
HawkinWater
4​
MsideChief
3​
Waukin88
3​
Pnation
3​
FootballFan1009
3​
hfhawkeye
1​
cubs2005
1​
obfuscating
0​
*C-Town Card
0​
*usfhawk
0​
**CoachinFromDaBleachers1
0​

Through the Quarters
AllStateSnub8
44​
HawkinWater
44​
FootballFan1009
43​
Pnation
42​
bcmoore
42​
Waukin88
41​
MsideChief
40​
hfhawkeye
37​
cubs2005
37​
obfuscating
35​
*C-Town Card
31​
*usfhawk
30​
**CoachinFromDaBleachers1
15​

* Didn't play round 3,4
** Didn't play round 2, 3 or 4

STANDINGS AFTER ROUND 4:
PlaceUserRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Total
1​
HawkinWater
20​
15​
5​
4​
44​
1​
AllStateSnub8
19​
14​
7​
4​
44​
3​
FootballFan1009
20​
13​
7​
3​
43​
3​
bcmoore
18​
14​
7​
4​
43​
5​
Pnation
19​
13​
7​
3​
42​
6​
Waukon88
17​
15​
6​
3​
41​
7​
MsideChief
16​
14​
7​
3​
40​
8​
hfhawkeye
19​
12​
5​
1​
37​
8​
cubs2005
19​
11​
6​
1​
37​
10​
obfuscating
14​
14​
7​
0​
35​
11​
C-Town Card
18​
13​
0​
0​
31​
12​
usfhawk
17​
13​
0​
0​
30​
13​
CoachinFromDaBleachers1
15​
0​
0​
0​
15​

Round 5 (semifinal) games. Picks must be in by 4 pm on Saturday. Good luck!
CLGLR vs Camanche
Waukon vs PCM Monroe

CLGLR
Waukon

Camanche looks like they are led by a talented senior class. Got some good speed #2 and #5 on offense seem to be the guys they try to get involved in the offense. Lots of quick passes mixed with some double moves on edge. They look like they lack in size which I think plays a big part in this game. Lions have had to deal with a speedy WR already in the playoffs that will help going into this one. Camanche will hang around early and the Lions will poor it on late. I'm going 35-7 for this one.

Haven't been able to watch Waukon at all this year but a lot of the guys who played a big part in the playoff run last year are still there. This looks to be a close game. PCM has a fast paced high octane offense. I'm saying 35-28 for this one.

Cant wait to get back to the dome. Been to long.

Reactions: MsideChief
STANDINGS AFTER ROUND 4:
PlaceUserRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Total
1​
HawkinWater
20​
15​
5​
4​
44​
1​
AllStateSnub8
19​
14​
7​
4​
44​
3​
FootballFan1009
20​
13​
7​
3​
43​
3​
bcmoore
18​
14​
7​
4​
43​
5​
Pnation
19​
13​
7​
3​
42​
6​
Waukon88
17​
15​
6​
3​
41​
7​
MsideChief
16​
14​
7​
3​
40​
8​
hfhawkeye
19​
12​
5​
1​
37​
8​
cubs2005
19​
11​
6​
1​
37​
10​
obfuscating
14​
14​
7​
0​
35​
11​
C-Town Card
18​
13​
0​
0​
31​
12​
usfhawk
17​
13​
0​
0​
30​
13​
CoachinFromDaBleachers1
15​
0​
0​
0​
15​
I am getting SCREWED out of this contest.

I am really looking forward to watching the semi's. I like CLGLR and Waukon on to the finals.

STANDINGS AFTER SEMIFINALS:
PlaceUserRd 1Rd 2Rd 3Rd 4SemisTotal
1​
HawkinWater
20​
15​
5​
4​
2​
46​
1​
AllStateSnub8
19​
14​
7​
4​
2​
46​
3​
FootballFan1009
20​
13​
7​
3​
2​
45​
3​
bcmoore
18​
14​
7​
4​
2​
45​
5​
Waukon88
17​
15​
6​
3​
2​
43​
6​
Pnation
19​
13​
7​
3​
0​
42​
6​
MsideChief
16​
14​
7​
3​
2​
42​
8​
hfhawkeye
19​
12​
5​
1​
2​
39​
8​
cubs2005
19​
11​
6​
1​
0​
37​
10​
obfuscating
14​
14​
7​
0​
1​
36​
11​
usfhawk
17​
13​
0​
0​
2​
32​
12​
C-Town Card
18​
13​
0​
0​
0​
31​
13​
CoachinFromDaBleachers1
15​
0​
0​
0​
0​
15​
14​
RichardFitz
0​
0​
0​
0​
2​
2​
14​
janklow
0​
0​
0​
0​
2​
2​
Round 6 (Champtionship) game. Picks must be in by 2 pm on Friday. Good luck (especially @HawkinWater)!

CLGLR vs Waukon

Also, be sure to add in your total for points scored in the game for a tiebreaker.

Should be a great game to watch. I think it in large part comes down to the health of Waukon QB Creed Welsch.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkinWater
Congrats to Camanche on a great year. Truly something to even make it to the semis. Hopefully it helps build their program. The more successful football programs in the state the better it is for everyone. That being said, I'm not sure if Camanche gets 5th in District 1 this year. Not trying to downplay your season or anything just clearly there was some disparity between that side of the state and the NW corner.

The matchup with Waukon looks to be a hell of a lot better. Should be a really good title game lots of physicality, sound defenses, and 2 pretty good offenses. Hopefully Welch can be healed up in time. Terrible for him if he has to sit out the title game of his senior year.

Great to be back in the dome. My boys really enjoyed the experience. I think it really benefits younger kids coming up in the school to see what it means to play in that environment. Pretty fun and exciting to watch these young men hopefully they can finish this thing up. ONE MORE!!!

Congrats to Camanche on a great year. Truly something to even make it to the semis. Hopefully it helps build their program. The more successful football programs in the state the better it is for everyone. That being said, I'm not sure if Camanche gets 5th in District 1 this year. Not trying to downplay your season or anything just clearly there was some disparity between that side of the state and the NW corner.

The matchup with Waukon looks to be a hell of a lot better. Should be a really good title game lots of physicality, sound defenses, and 2 pretty good offenses. Hopefully Welch can be healed up in time. Terrible for him if he has to sit out the title game of his senior year.

Great to be back in the dome. My boys really enjoyed the experience. I think it really benefits younger kids coming up in the school to see what it means to play in that environment. Pretty fun and exciting to watch these young men hopefully they can finish this thing up. ONE MORE!!!

heard Lyon county shut down all athletics and activities for COVID does that affect the title game?

Waukon (53)
I've noticed you've picked against CLGLR since the West Lyon game. I don't take it personally or anything just a matter of discussion. Is it something you see in the Lions to make you a non believer? Not saying CLGLR is the favorites or anything in this game, just curious to hear your thoughts.

Nope, gotta go against the norm to get points on those ahead that may pick them.

We played CLGLR 3 straight championships, lots of respect for the program.
Thanks for the response. 06 was fun for us the other years not so much. I went to an Iowa game in 06 and decided to drive down on Friday and go to the Solon game that night. Chatted with some good people had a good time. A lot of talent on both teams as you look back on it. You guys just had more.

Reactions: obfuscating
CLGLR 34-20=54

Well here it is the Big One. Thankfully its still being played. Sucks we cant be there to watch but I'm so happy for all the teams that get a chance to prove it this weekend. I'm glad there is still some sense left in this world to realize that yeah its high school football but damn it people need this stuff. These kids that are in school, so much has been taken from them this year, and more yet to come I'm afraid. For any of the teams that have had a successful season it might be just enough to get their community through all this craziness. I'm going to miss having this football season as a distraction or a reason to have a quick 5 or 10 min conversation with someone maybe I wouldn't normally talk to. I'm just as much a wrestling fan as I am football fan and I'm hopeful for a season but I'm not holding my breath. Anyway off my soap box time to get down to business.

Waukons got a hell of a defense. IMO the strength is the LB play. Those guys have the ability to fly around and make plays. They get that ability because the Dline frees them up. So I guess its the old adage the chicken or the egg. All the games I've watched it seems to me the LBs are in the backfield quite often and really fly to the football on stretch plays. I wouldn't necessarily say they play assignment football though. I think they can get out of position at times and leave room for some big plays.

On offense #20 is a dude man. Runs hard makes good reads, sees his holes well, and finishes his runs with authority. Gut tells me Welch will play and I hope he does. He can scramble and you have to account for him but if I'm being perfectly honest I don't think the game plan changes a hole lot from #2 to #5. Their offense is unique in that they have some interesting wrinkles that seem to be pretty creative.

All that being said I really like the matchups I think our guys can win them. It all comes down to a couple things blocking and tackling and whos going to make the most mistakes. This will be a tight football game both teams are pretty evenly matched. Both have a couple guys that are X factors. Be a fun one. Finish the Job!!!

CLGLR 34-20=54

Well here it is the Big One. Thankfully its still being played. Sucks we cant be there to watch but I'm so happy for all the teams that get a chance to prove it this weekend. I'm glad there is still some sense left in this world to realize that yeah its high school football but damn it people need this stuff. These kids that are in school, so much has been taken from them this year, and more yet to come I'm afraid. For any of the teams that have had a successful season it might be just enough to get their community through all this craziness. I'm going to miss having this football season as a distraction or a reason to have a quick 5 or 10 min conversation with someone maybe I wouldn't normally talk to. I'm just as much a wrestling fan as I am football fan and I'm hopeful for a season but I'm not holding my breath. Anyway off my soap box time to get down to business.

Waukons got a hell of a defense. IMO the strength is the LB play. Those guys have the ability to fly around and make plays. They get that ability because the Dline frees them up. So I guess its the old adage the chicken or the egg. All the games I've watched it seems to me the LBs are in the backfield quite often and really fly to the football on stretch plays. I wouldn't necessarily say they play assignment football though. I think they can get out of position at times and leave room for some big plays.

On offense #20 is a dude man. Runs hard makes good reads, sees his holes well, and finishes his runs with authority. Gut tells me Welch will play and I hope he does. He can scramble and you have to account for him but if I'm being perfectly honest I don't think the game plan changes a hole lot from #2 to #5. Their offense is unique in that they have some interesting wrinkles that seem to be pretty creative.

All that being said I really like the matchups I think our guys can win them. It all comes down to a couple things blocking and tackling and whos going to make the most mistakes. This will be a tight football game both teams are pretty evenly matched. Both have a couple guys that are X factors. Be a fun one. Finish the Job!!!
I agree with most everything you said. Waukon's D is built around their linebackers, and all of them are very good. I think both teams offenses are very similar and this game is really going to boil down to matchups and the O-lines. I have no idea who is going to win, but there is no denying that these two were probably destined to meet from the beginning of the year. I'm glad it happened now and not earlier in the playoffs. Should be a great game and I hope they all stay healthy enough to finish the game with both teams at their best. One injury to a stud can cripple even the best teams as they usually lose that guy on both sides of the ball in the smaller classes. I haven't seen CLGLR play live, only on youtube. I am going with Waukon, but I think it will be a one score win (26-21). This will rely on #2 (Waukon's QB) being healthy and still being a scrambling threat, as that is very hard to account for on defense.

This should be a great game. I have watched alot of CLGLR this year. They are a solid team. #22 and #7 are elite players. Waukon will have to figure out a way to shut down Lutmer. Lutmer is a D1 athlete and hasn't been stopped yet this year.

FINAL STANDINGS:
PlaceUserRd 1Rd 2Rd 3Rd 4SemisChampTotal
1​
FootballFan1009
20​
13​
7​
3​
2​
1​
46​
2​
HawkinWater
20​
15​
5​
4​
2​
0​
46​
3​
AllStateSnub8
19​
14​
7​
4​
2​
0​
46​
4​
bcmoore
18​
14​
7​
4​
2​
0​
45​
5​
Waukon88
17​
15​
6​
3​
2​
1​
44​
6​
Pnation
19​
13​
7​
3​
0​
1​
43​
7​
MsideChief
16​
14​
7​
3​
2​
0​
42​
8​
hfhawkeye
19​
12​
5​
1​
2​
0​
39​
9​
obfuscating
14​
14​
7​
0​
1​
1​
37​
10​
cubs2005
19​
11​
6​
1​
0​
0​
37​
11​
usfhawk
17​
13​
0​
0​
2​
0​
32​
12​
C-Town Card
18​
13​
0​
0​
0​
0​
31​
13​
CoachinFromDaBleachers1
15​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
15​
14​
RichardFitz
0​
0​
0​
0​
2​
0​
2​
14​
janklow
0​
0​
0​
0​
2​
0​
2​

Top 3:
1) @FootballFan1009
2) @HawkinWater
3) @AllStateSnub8

Congrats to FootballFan1009 for winning our Prediction Contest after correctly picking Waukon to win. I had Waukon as my #1 team all year long (excluding week 1/2) and incorrectly went away from them in the championship. Hopefully I will learn my lesson in the future.

Finally, a big congrats to the Indians of Waukon for winning the state championship. Welsch's health was obviously huge, but Waukon did a great job of controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball as the game progressed. CLGLR looked more physical during the first quarter, but Waukon was just too much.

Thanks to everyone for participating and now we look forward to next year. Hopefully things return to some level of normalcy by next fall.

Last edited:
As a Waukon homer, congrats to the Indians. The seniors picked up where they fell short last year and got that title. I think next year CLGLR gets the chance to do the same, but it is all earned. Great game and glad they got to finish! The countdown to next year starts tomorrow!

Reactions: HawkinWater
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT