ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 Predictions

Jun 26, 2016
With the fall sports season starting up, that means we are only a few months away from basketball season. Who do you guys like to advance to Wells Fargo in 1A and win it all now that GVC’s recruits graduated?

Based on squads that made state with a lot of kids returning, I would guess Alburnett, Montezuma and Remsen to be potential returning teams.

1A was down last year with Boyden and North Linn moving up a class.

In my opinion Montezuma and CBSA are the two teams to beat considering both those teams played GVC closely and return a lot.

Remsen is a school I mentioned as well. That's a team and staff that deserves some praise. If memory serves they've made state and finished in the final four 3 years in a row now. Took GVC to the last few minutes a couple of times.

Remsen should be very good again. South O’brien Should be really good again too. Montezuma is gonna be great as long as Trey stays healthy (knock on wood) he is everything to that squad. Look for him to potentially be player of the year in class 1A next year

Remsen should be very good again. South O’brien Should be really good again too. Montezuma is gonna be great as long as Trey stays healthy (knock on wood) he is everything to that squad. Look for him to potentially be player of the year in class 1A next year

Agree with your Montezuma assessment and Trey being a large/key part of how they'll do. Trey will have competition from Hunter Caves of Alburnett. I believe Hunter will be a Jr but leads Alburnett like Trey does for the braves.

1a will be pretty open this year.

Last edited:
Agree with your Montezuma assessment and Trey being a large/key part of how they'll do. Trey will have competition from Hunter Caves of Alburnett. I believe Hunter will be a Jr but leads Alburnett like Trey does for the braves.

1a will be pretty open this year.
1A could honestly be won by 8 teams next year. I’ve seen the kid play and he’s a stud for alburnett. Martensdale St Mary’s is another team who should be good. Have a really good junior forward who can score at will. Algona Garrigan should be good as well with there tall athletic post being back

FWIW, Tony Roe's top 10:

1. Lake Mills
2. St. Mary's
3. Montezuma
4. South O'Brien
5. Martensdale-St. Mary's
6. Easton Valley
7. WACO
8. Alburnett
9. St. Albert
10. Bishop Garrigan

FWIW, Tony Roe's top 10:

1. Lake Mills
2. St. Mary's
3. Montezuma
4. South O'Brien
6. Easton Valley
7. WACO
8. Alburnett
9. St. Albert
10. Bishop Garrigan
Wow didn’t know lake mills dropped a class. Should be very good but cannot shoot the ball a lick. Teams will sag in and double team Helming. They do have a few solid spot up shooters, but that’s going to be the only thing holding them back from a conference title and possibly a Wells Fargo appearance

FWIW, Tony Roe's top 10:

1. Lake Mills
2. St. Mary's
3. Montezuma
4. South O'Brien
6. Easton Valley
7. WACO
8. Alburnett
9. St. Albert
10. Bishop Garrigan

To me, that initial top 10 looks pretty solid.
There are several schools I simply don't have knowledge about or hear of. So thank you to those of you chiming in (anonymous111, swisportsfan) on teams like CBSA and Lake Mills.

If they play like the last 2 years, CBSA will.be a hard out. They play tough and physical.

Anyone know about Easton Valley or Waco? I've seen some of Waco middle school club teams that did well in tourneys. Have no idea about their varsity squad.

There are several schools I simply don't have knowledge about or hear of. So thank you to those of you chiming in (anonymous111, swisportsfan) on teams like CBSA and Lake Mills.

If they play like the last 2 years, CBSA will.be a hard out. They play tough and physical.

Anyone know about Easton Valley or Waco? I've seen some of Waco middle school club teams that did well in tourneys. Have no idea about their varsity squad.
Was wondering the same thing myself? Haven’t heard a single thing about either school being threats going to state next season so I’m interested to see how much they improve

CBSA graduated their two bigs so there might be some issues early on inside but I expect them to shake things out. They will have an extremely deep bench and if they get correctly seeded at state (knock on wood), they have a chance to go deep into the tournament.

Last edited:
Tony Roe released his 2A Top 10 yesterday...

1. Camanche
2. Monticello
3. Treynor
4. Boyden-Hull
5. West Sioux
6. Beckman Catholic
7. Regina
8. Des Moines Christian
9. South Central Cal
10. North Linn

1. Camanche
2. Monticello
3. Treynor
4. Boyden-Hull
5. West Sioux
6. Beckman Catholic
7. Regina
8. Des Moines Christian
9. South Central Cal
10. North Linn
Dang with TJ Rushing gone, Tony Roe is going to be extremely biased to the eastern part of the state. And the reason I say that is because he only watches games from that portion of Iowa

River Valley Conference will once again be strong with Camanche, Monticello, Regina. Tipton also brings back two of their top three scorers.

Doesn't seem to have much bias in 3A?

1. Norwalk
2. Oskaloosa
3. Winterset
4. Denison-Schleswig
5. Sergeant Bluff-Luton
6. Clear Lake
7. Pella
8. Wahlert
9. Marion
10. Carroll

Last edited:
I meant in season. You will definitely see the rankings switch more to a Eastern bias as he sees those teams play

So basically he will be doing the opposite of what TJ has been doing for the last few years. Seems like the prep hoops rankings always sided with the west side of the state - both teams and players.

1. Camanche
2. Monticello
3. Treynor
4. Boyden-Hull
5. West Sioux
6. Beckman Catholic
7. Regina
8. Des Moines Christian
9. South Central Cal
10. North Linn
After watching Albia play this summer they are def a top 10 team. They lost no one that contributed much on their team a year ago.

Doesn't seem to have much bias in 3A?

1. Norwalk
2. Oskaloosa
3. Winterset
4. Denison-Schleswig
5. Sergeant Bluff-Luton
6. Clear Lake
7. Pella
8. Wahlert
9. Marion
10. Carroll
Tony Roe actually knows basketball, he doesn't just pander to his base of subscribers. If he did, why aren't Assumption, Xavier, or Waverly Shell Rock on this list:) Love what Prep Hoops does and the effort Tony Roe puts into covering the prep game.

Tony Roe actually knows basketball, he doesn't just pander to his base of subscribers. If he did, why aren't Assumption, Xavier, or Waverly Shell Rock on this list:) Love what Prep Hoops does and the effort Tony Roe puts into covering the prep game.
Not to be that guy but If you knew about prep hoops then you’d know that in tony roes bio it says he only covers the eastern half of the state (or mostly) and also prep hoops mainly does AAU articles for college coaches. High school season is important to them, but not as much as AAU

Reactions: Sam Tarly
I mainly domain around the Western Valley and War Eagle conferences.

My rundown

Western Valley:
(2018-19)
OABCIG: 18-5
Lawton Bronson: 15-8
Kingsley Pierson: 14-9
MVAOCOU: 10-11
River Valley: 10-11
Siouxland Christian: 8-14
Ridgeview: 7-15
West Monona: 5-18
Woodbury Central: 4-18
Westwood: 4-19

Biggest Returners:
Lawton Bronson - 2/3 top scorers
Cooper Dejean from OABCIG (only thing that returns)
MVAOCOU - returns 2/4 top scorers
River Valley - returns bulk of their scoring but lose their 6'7 big
Siouxland Christian - returns everything
Woodbury Central - returns everything
Westwood - returns all but 1 contributor

Hardest hit by graduation:
Kingsley Pierson
OABCIG
Ridgeview
West Monona

2019-20 Prediction:
1. Lawton Bronson - best chance of any of the 1A teams in this conference to find their way to the well
2. OABCIG - Dejean hopefully finds some supporting cast and builds on his 23 PPG last year
3. Kingsley-Pierson - lost their all time leading scorer in Keck but return a nice young group

Darkhorse: River Valley - Trapp was their leading scorer last year as a SOPH and will have to fill an even bigger role this year to push them over the edge.

War Eagle:
(2018-19)
West Sioux: 21-1
South O'Brien: 20-5
Remsen St. Mary's: 21-7
Unity Christian: 15-8
Gehlen Catholic: 14-9
Trinity Christian: 12-11
Hinton: 9-13
Akron Westfield: 8-14
Hartley Melvin Sanborn: 8-14
Harris Lake Park: 6-16
MMCRU: 4-18
Clay Central Everly: 1-21 (no longer a school)

Biggest Returners:
West Sioux - (Dekkers may be forgoing basketball) but the addition of Coppock - a 30ppg scorer - from Newell Fonda, they will be tough to beat once again
South O'Brien - Return everyone besides their point guard, he facilitated well and could be hard to replace
Remsen St. Mary's - Return literally everyone
Unity - Return top 2/4 scorers
Gehlen - Lose their Big down low in Kneip but return their other two top scorers
Harris Lake Park - Return literally everyone

Trinity Christian
Hinton - lose 3 of their production players but also return 3
Akron Westfield
Hartley Melvin Sanborn
MMCRU

2019-20 Prediction
1 - 2 South O'Brien / RSM - will be a big battle this year for the top spot either team could make it to the well (hopefully both if they're split properly)
3. West Sioux

Darkhorse: Harris Lake Park - return all of their production led by 18 ppg scorer, Ihnen.

I will take south O’Brien over Remsen. For anyone who watched them play, south O’Brien was the better of the two teams. And while remsen does return everyone, I feel as though they were very lucky and overrated last season. Got the easiest first round game of the tournament and then got beat by an Alburnett team who also played a team who was severely overrated (Sioux central) last years tournament was pretty wonky with clearly the top 4 most talented teams on one side. Northwest Iowa will once again be very good this year, and it should be a great year to watch

I mainly domain around the Western Valley and War Eagle conferences.

My rundown

Western Valley:
(2018-19)
OABCIG: 18-5
Lawton Bronson: 15-8
Kingsley Pierson: 14-9
MVAOCOU: 10-11
River Valley: 10-11
Siouxland Christian: 8-14
Ridgeview: 7-15
West Monona: 5-18
Woodbury Central: 4-18
Westwood: 4-19

Biggest Returners:
Lawton Bronson - 2/3 top scorers
Cooper Dejean from OABCIG (only thing that returns)
MVAOCOU - returns 2/4 top scorers
River Valley - returns bulk of their scoring but lose their 6'7 big
Siouxland Christian - returns everything
Woodbury Central - returns everything
Westwood - returns all but 1 contributor

Kingsley Pierson
OABCIG
Ridgeview
West Monona

2019-20 Prediction:
1. Lawton Bronson - best chance of any of the 1A teams in this conference to find their way to the well
2. OABCIG - Dejean hopefully finds some supporting cast and builds on his 23 PPG last year
3. Kingsley-Pierson - lost their all time leading scorer in Keck but return a nice young group

Darkhorse: River Valley - Trapp was their leading scorer last year as a SOPH and will have to fill an even bigger role this year to push them over the edge.

War Eagle:
(2018-19)
West Sioux: 21-1
South O'Brien: 20-5
Remsen St. Mary's: 21-7
Unity Christian: 15-8
Gehlen Catholic: 14-9
Trinity Christian: 12-11
Hinton: 9-13
Akron Westfield: 8-14
Hartley Melvin Sanborn: 8-14
Harris Lake Park: 6-16
MMCRU: 4-18
Clay Central Everly: 1-21 (no longer a school)

Biggest Returners:
West Sioux - (Dekkers may be forgoing basketball) but the addition of Coppock - a 30ppg scorer - from Newell Fonda, they will be tough to beat once again
South O'Brien - Return everyone besides their point guard, he facilitated well and could be hard to replace
Remsen St. Mary's - Return literally everyone
Unity - Return top 2/4 scorers
Gehlen - Lose their Big down low in Kneip but return their other two top scorers
Harris Lake Park - Return literally everyone

Trinity Christian
Hinton - lose 3 of their production players but also return 3
Akron Westfield
Hartley Melvin Sanborn
MMCRU

2019-20 Prediction
1 - 2 South O'Brien / RSM - will be a big battle this year for the top spot either team could make it to the well (hopefully both if they're split properly)
3. West Sioux

Darkhorse: Harris Lake Park - return all of their production led by 18 ppg scorer, Ihnen.
Coppock went to West Sioux?......

Any particular reason?

Yes, very interested to see how he plays in the WS system that won't live through him touching the ball. Especially if Dekkers decides to play.
He is actually a good ball handler and good passer, but he is use to be very ball dominant on his team so it will take him some getting use to. Great scorer at all three levels

Saint Albert will be a handful this year. Good athletes that played summer ball, no post-season in football which means more time to heal and shoot, and the State championship was played last year between SA and GVC in the the first round. Saint Albert was within 1 point with a minute or so to go. SA continues to get punished at state( seeding wise) for playing up every night in the rugged Hawkeye 10. Hopefully that gets leveled for the fans if nothing else. Last year the Falcons beat 4A Lewis Central-

Reactions: SWIsportsfan

Easton Valley had a 20 win team last year in a tough conference that sent 4 teams to the state tournament last year and 2 to the finals. They didn't lose anyone. Will be a very tough team.

Saint Albert will be a handful this year. Good athletes that played summer ball, no post-season in football which means more time to heal and shoot, and the State championship was played last year between SA and GVC in the the first round. Saint Albert was within 1 point with a minute or so to go. SA continues to get punished at state( seeding wise) for playing up every night in the rugged Hawkeye 10. Hopefully that gets leveled for the fans if nothing else. Last year the Falcons beat 4A Lewis Central-
I totally agree with you, wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons finish top 3 in the conference this year. Was really impressed when I watched them play.

Easton Valley had a 20 win team last year in a tough conference that sent 4 teams to the state tournament last year and 2 to the finals. They didn't lose anyone. Will be a very tough team.
Probably didn’t hear much about them because they were overshadowed by those top teams. Should be a good year for them. Although it seems they play in a conference with very small schools. Not saying that is the end all be all, but it does hurt when you don’t face great athletes night in and night out. Just ask Ankeny Christian fans

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT