ADVERTISEMENT

2014-2015 BBall

St. Eds will have a challenging schedule as well this year, at least based on the preseason rankings.

at #1 (3A) Pocahontas
#4 (3A) Hampton-Dumont x2
#10 (3A) Carroll Kuemper
at #4 (2A) Des Moines Christian
at #10 (2A) Manson-Northwest Webster
#8 (1A) Newell-Fonda

Also here's what's on tap tonight at the Iowa Central Jamboree:

Southeast Valley vs Eagle Grove
Ogden vs Greene County
Humboldt vs Manson-NW
Fort Dodge vs Algona
St. Edmond vs Pocahontas

I know its preseason but its amazing at how tough the Twin Lakes is. Ranked teams galore. Should be another exciting season with packed gyms.

Nobody will out - athlete St. Edmond....I did not stay after our game but St. Edmond would have the guard play to give poky trouble. I think poky is still going to win 3A....just shows how crazy good 2A will be.

How did the Jamboree games go? Twin Lakes will be very challenging this year. Pocahontas played a lot of Summer Ball and they are coming off of a State Championship Cross Country Season. South Central Calhoun will put more 6 footers on the floor than any team in 2A. Manson will put together a feisty, aggressive team. They know how to win. Newell-Fonda loses 4 starters and 5 of their top nine, but they too bring back some pretty good athletes. East Sac has the potential to knock off some teams with their group as well. Not sure how I would rank the teams right now, but the standings will work themselves out quickly enough.

Husker Dogg my daughter plays for IKMManning.Played in Harlan Jamboree last night against Harlan we hung in there for awhile lost by 12 .Played some young girls early,there is a freshman that stared she will help out very early we have 7 seniors .Dought we will play any one this year that is as big as they were.

I know that Mediapolis is very athletic also. Beat lots of ranked teams this summer and also North Scott last Saturday in a scrimmage. I know they didn't get beat by 20 this summer. Kind of surprised they weren't number 1 with 4 starters back from a state semifinal team.

Originally posted by Magic 10:
How did the Jamboree games go? Twin Lakes will be very challenging this year. Pocahontas played a lot of Summer Ball and they are coming off of a State Championship Cross Country Season. South Central Calhoun will put more 6 footers on the floor than any team in 2A. Manson will put together a feisty, aggressive team. They know how to win. Newell-Fonda loses 4 starters and 5 of their top nine, but they too bring back some pretty good athletes. East Sac has the potential to knock off some teams with their group as well. Not sure how I would rank the teams right now, but the standings will work themselves out quickly enough.
Right now, before the season starts, I'd probably rank them:

SCC
Poky
MNW
ESC/N-F
N-F/ESC

Hey thunder....
I see Hampton - Dumont is rated in 3A. How do they match up with St. Ed's? Would think the NCC would come down to those head to head games.

Not sure if they'll be quite as good as the 12-13 squad with Barz, but they should still be tough. They have two very good guards that like to drive and shoot and they will have some pretty good size, especially with Wohlford at 6'2" (not sure if she has grown at all).

Not too bad. We lost to Kuemper by 10 or 11. We were up 22-11 end of 1 and up by 1 at halftime the then went cold the 2nd & 3rd quarters but battled to the end.

Kuemper has a lot of size and their big girls that can handle the ball and run the floor. We played man to man from the second quarter on (which I think hurt us some because of the good ball handling by the big girls) I think our coach was trying to see if we could play man to man which i think we did pretty well but we just couldn't score. Will know more after we play SC West tomorrow night.

Anyone else have any reports?

Big win tonight Wubbs?

Beat SC West by 10 but struggled from the free throw line (41%) NOT GOOD.
Played well though all but 1 starter in double figures.

Saw on the IGHSAU Twitter feed that Nicole Miller of North Linn scored her 1,500th career point in their game on Tuesday.

Nicole Miller is the real deal....

Husker- we beat ELC. Any win right now is a big win. Trying to put the pieces together for this years team. Fun thing about coaching you get to see the progress, regardless of where a team starts.

Cant wait til Friday.Conference game on Friday(first game).Saturday play afternoon game against Panora(I believe it will be there fourth)tough for us.

Tough having the first game be a conference one- but I think your team will be more than ready. Going to be a great year for the Hawks from what I hear.

Bad shooting night or what? I wasn't expecting to see that score. What happened?

Big game tonight Conference opener LB vs. #5 K-P in Kingsley. Should be a dandy.

Yeah, first game stuff, I think. Some years when teams return a lot it is more of "pick up where you left off"....and then sometimes you are finding different people to pick up scoring roles, etc. Will be fun to watch.

Good luck with that game tonight- sounds like an early season tester- those games are good to play- find out what you are made of.

We played Cherokee last night- good pt. guard, nice size inside, some really good shooters.
One of those teams that play Western twice and spirit lake twice so they might take some losses, but a very solid team.

Off to Humboldt tonight!!

Let me know how it goes Husker.

Yes it will. We also have a tough one Friday vs. MVAO (#11) Will be a good week to see what we are made of. I know you guys will pick it up. Sometimes a loss like that helps to fix things that sometimes you wouldnt see in a win. I look forward to see your wins start showing up. Good luck tonight.

Originally posted by WadeWubben:

Yeah, first game stuff, I think. Some years when teams return a lot it is more of "pick up where you left off"....and then sometimes you are finding different people to pick up scoring roles, etc. Will be fun to watch.

Good luck with that game tonight- sounds like an early season tester- those games are good to play- find out what you are made of.

We played Cherokee last night- good pt. guard, nice size inside, some really good shooters.
One of those teams that play Western twice and spirit lake twice so they might take some losses, but a very solid team.

Off to Humboldt tonight!!

Let me know how it goes Husker.
Wubbs, How'd Humboldt look? I thought they might be pretty good this year with some younger players back who contributed last year, some athleticism, and a pretty good surge at end of last year.

Terwilliger is a nice player but she has to work really hard for that club. She does a lot of things for them. They are athletic and they have some size. I would think they would win their share of games in the NCC...as for hanging with St. Edmond or HD- not sure about that. They have another post player, cannot think of her name, her brother is a starter on the boys team- she was a nice player also.
Their JV is HUGE. Their posts in the jv did a nice job of finishing around the basket- granted, it was a jv game- but I have to believe in a year or so they are going to be pretty decent.

Tough Saturday for wolves free throws not good, have not seen stats but I would guess40% or worse.Did hit three at buzzer one ref called it good another waived it off they didn't even talk about it.Have on tape clearly before buzzer.It should have never come down to that.I guess that's the way it goes

MVAO played all five starters against LB the entire game (not 1 sub played) so i'm not surprised they didn't have any gas left for Saturday. LB lost by 4.

Glad I made the long drive to see Pocahontas area play tonight. Witnessed a state record. Elle ruffridge made 12 3s. It was incredible.

Yep....if she gets it going there is really not much going to stop her. One of those special players that don't come around very often.

Fastbreak layup. Undercut. Contact made. Blows whistle. Foul #1. Repeat 4 more times before midway point of 3rd qtr....

There I said it.

Originally posted by hawkfanalso:

Any suprises or diappointments heading into Christmas break?
Western lost by 5 to South Dakota's #1 big school, Sioux Falls O'Gorman.
Great test for them in an awesome facility for hoops (The Pentagon in Sioux Falls).

Never fun to lose, but this was like playing a college team & will serve them well when they start playing 2A opponents.

Tonight's the night, Wubbs.
smokin.r191677.gif

Unfortunately, this guy came home from school sick today. My 3 hour nap this afternoon has helped me to feel better, but gonna have to sit this MNW/St. Ed clash out.
Too bad, it should be a great game.
I think both games have the potential to be really good...I hope so. We should play every year- I think both teams get better playing each other.
I'm out- take care Thunder.

It was a great game last night. Came right down to the final possession. Definitely a physical battle. Hopefully, the girls still have some legs for tonight's game at C-G-D.

I agree that it's a game we should play every year. I absolutely felt like we took a lot away from that game even in defeat. Games like this only make you better come postseason.

The Iowa City Regina girls basketball team is off to an impressive 10-0 start. And, the team is very young with just one senior and two juniors on the roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT