ADVERTISEMENT

2014-2015 BBall

Well, Husker- I think we will be competitive. Some tough breaks already. Had one girl move from Manson to Newell-she is a good player.
Had a post player tear her ACL in AAU ball this summer....but the kids we have are good kids- just not as deep as teams we've had in the past.
And- we are playing in a killer league- South Central Calhoun and Pocahontas Area are going to be really, really good. Newell Fonda is always strong- so the Twin Lakes should be fun to watch again.

But then, I don't have to talk to anybody from your way about injuries. Lawton Bronson should be tough this year- sophs and juniors are pretty decent classes, right.

Originally posted by WadeWubben:

Well, Husker- I think we will be competitive. Some tough breaks already. Had one girl move from Manson to Newell-she is a good player.
Had a post player tear her ACL in AAU ball this summer....but the kids we have are good kids- just not as deep as teams we've had in the past.
And- we are playing in a killer league- South Central Calhoun and Pocahontas Area are going to be really, really good. Newell Fonda is always strong- so the Twin Lakes should be fun to watch again.

But then, I don't have to talk to anybody from your way about injuries. Lawton Bronson should be tough this year- sophs and juniors are pretty decent classes, right.
Wade, I saw your post on the FB board. I just didn't get a chance to respond to it right away.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming season and the schedule we have. It will be pretty challenging but I think it will definitely help us out come tournament time. I think the game is at Manson, though I haven't seen anything yet. I only have heard who we have on the schedule.

I do know we also travel to Des Moines Christian and Pocahontas and we'll play Newell-Fonda this year as well. Kuemper is also still on the schedule, not to mention I believe the depth in the NCC is continuing to grow as some of these talented younger groups that I've encountered in recent years start to make their impact on varsity rosters.

Thunder-
I just think it's good for MNW/St. Edmond to play each other. I cannot remember a year when I coached where I didn't think it made us a better team playing the Gaels. Given we are losing games to schools consolidating- it is nice we have that game back. We also added Webster city.

Yes, your schedule looks very challenging- but you have a team that will compete for a deep tourney run again so those games will only make you better.
We feel the same way about our schedule.

Do not know a lot about Kuemper but I assume they will be above average if not better than that.

Wubbs, sorry to hear that about your injuries. Yes they are tough to deal with but hopefully our girls will be mentally tougher because of it. Sounds like you and thunder have tough schedules which is always a good thing. We scrimmage Kuemper Nov 22. The West, Hinton, Heelan and 2 or 3 games vs. WC will have have us ready to make a run hopefully.

Des Moines Christian just crashed in volleyball tonight so it's on to basketball. They have been playing in the Dowling Catholic Fall League. Very good competition.

Non-conference games this year include a potential match up with Carlisle in the Newton Classic, Perry, Pella Christian and of course St Eds. Panorama in conference will be very, very good.

DM Christian and Panorama have always been good in basketball it seems- appears this year will be no different.
Good competition is a big key for teams....gotta get pushed somewhere on your schedule before you reach tourney time.
Should be a great season.

Eager see if Western Christian's girls alter their style of play this year.
Lost their strongest inside threat, the long-range bomber (Douma), & most critical loss, PG, Alissa Pollema, who put on a show at the state tournament last year.

Reloaded with a lot of speed and athleticism. Expect to see even more substitutions and the same full-court pressure. Jamie Gesink is key returnee. Biggest ?? is how well will the coach's daughter take over the point.

Non-conference schedule with be interesting with SC East/North, MOC, Unity (now 2A), Heelan, and playing in the Sanford Pentagon Classic in Sioux Falls (great facility for BB).

A lot more hurdles to 4-peat than there were last year.

Yes 2A will be very tough and i Have no idea how the State is going to come close to splitting up Regions this year. I think all of these teams should have less than 4 or 5 losses:

Mid-Southwest Iowa:
IKM
Treynor
MVAO
DM Christian

Western Highway 20:
Hinton
LB
WC
OABCIG
SC Calhoun
Manson
FD St Eds.

Northwest Iowa:
Pocahontas Area
Unity Christian
Western Christian

...as i was saying what a competitive class its going to be extremely tough to even make to state.

Yes, Pocahontas will be 3A and should do very well in that class I would guess.

What about Eastern Iowa Class 2A? Thoughts?

I'd have to look up some of the teams again, but I think North Linn will be tough again with some very good players returning. Cascade will always be a tough out with that defensive system of theirs. Hudson could be a good team once again this year after a nice run to the finals. They do lose 3 seniors but also return a couple girls who averaged in double figures and especially when you return as many as they do, you usually don't see a program like that drop off too much after a successful run the year before.

Well that's one less team we need to worry about. Just gonna be a very tough schedule. I'm not real sure about the East side of the state either. What I do know is the M. Valley's, the Hudson's, the Regina's will always be tough.

I can hardly wait especially since my daughter missed all of last year. I really think this is going to be an especially competitive year. So many great teams right here in NW Iowa and across the state just in 2A. Good Luck to everyone.

Would have been mind-blowing had Pocahontas Area stayed in 2A...I think they caught a break going up to 3A. 2A is so loaded, especially with Unity Christian dropping down.

And that is not a slap at Pocahontas Area- they are an outstanding team with easily one of the best players in the state in Elle Ruffridge. It was just going to be interesting watching the union split them, HWC, and Unity for tournaments- now it becomes much easier.
And personally, I may be proven wrong, but I think 2A maybe has the best depth of quality teams as any class.

2a top ten

1.western (until someone beats them)
2.unity (3a to 2a)
3.scc (birks tough,lots returners)
4.ikmm (lot returning)
5.fdse(good core)
6.lawton (lots back)
7hudson
8hinton
9mvao
10 dmc

Be very tough

Originally posted by WadeWubben:
Would have been mind-blowing had Pocahontas Area stayed in 2A...I think they caught a break going up to 3A. 2A is so loaded, especially with Unity Christian dropping down.

And that is not a slap at Pocahontas Area- they are an outstanding team with easily one of the best players in the state in Elle Ruffridge. It was just going to be interesting watching the union split them, HWC, and Unity for tournaments- now it becomes much easier.
Agree that 3A may have an easier route to the Well.
Would have like to see Poky again though, Ruffridge is fun to watch (even when she lighting you up for 40!)

Jan 15: Western @ Unity-A night where the girls game will draw a bigger crowd than the boys.
Last year Western dismantled Unity & came close to a running clock in the first half.

2a top ten

1.western (until someone beats them)
2.unity (3a to 2a)
3.scc (birks tough,lots returners)
4.ikmm (lot returning)
5.fdse(good core)
6.lawton (lots back)
7hudson
8hinton
9mvao
10 dmc

I'll also add that WC returns their core as well. K-P (1A) has everyone back and add a 6'0 freshmen to the mix will be a tough opponent in our conference.

Wubbs, yes thank goodness poky is in 3A the state could have really made the Regionals tough.

Gotta agree with Hawfan...can't have a top 10 without North LInn...Miller can take over games by herself. One of the best in class 2A without a doubt.

I like your top 10 otherwise Husker....lots of good teams. Don't forget- Dike New Hartford should be very good...although if Morgan is not playing I don't know. Tough to take that size out of the middle. Wonder if she is playing at state volleyball this week?

That will take a little research:
Only my humble opinion:

Miller NL
Gesink Western
Muhlbauer IKM
Yung SE
Anderson DMC
Morgan MVAO
Birks SCC
Verzani LB
Bousema Western
Hubert WC

Maybe I should call this Western Iowa top ten. LOL I guess i can't really comment on the East side of Iowa due to the fact that I have not watched or have seen anyone from there play. Please update me as i do not want to leave anyone out.

I'm anxious to see Okoboji this year...remember, they took Pocahontas area down to the wire in the regional semi-finial last season...Poky had to come back to win that game as I remember. Their junior class should be really strong this year.
I would think they would have a solid season.

I will see them Saturday. We have 3 scrimmages @ North High in Sioux City, and Okoboji will be at the same one. I will keep an eye on them for you and let you know how they look.

It's weird...look at volleyball and it's a lot of eastern teams. Basketball seems to be consistently strong in western iowa. Not sure why.

Anyone have any scrimmages this weekend?

We scrimmaged SC North, SBL, and R-U and won all 3
We also scrimmaged SBL in our Jamboree in Lawton and shot 2-14 on free throws and still won by one. So i guess That should say we will be ok to shoot that bad and still win.

Next Saturday we scrimmage Kuemper in Lawton and i heard they are preseason #4 on Iowapreps. Any truth to that?

I can see keumper being pretty tough,my daughter played with the Bauer girl this fall in a league in carroll.She is good,detlinger is good there are a few sophmores that are pretty decent alittle green but they will be ok.

Union's preseason rankings are out today.. Pocahontas Area is #1 in 3A... and if anyone paid attention to how well they played last year, how they looked this summer, and how they played in scrimmages thus far you would know its very deserving.

Doesn't surprise me one bit, vikeye. Yes played mediapolis this summer who is ranked 2nd and beat them by 20 plus. I realize summer can be deceiving given kids gone, but I would think they are a clear #1.
They have a great point guard and 3 or 4 more great athletes to go with her. Good for them. Twin lakes is tough.

Well our scrimmage and first 4 games will give us a good indicator of how good we are. Kuemper 10th (3A) SC West NR (5A), K-P 5th (1A), MVAO 11th (2A) and W. Central 13th (2A). Could be a long December or very good December. WOW

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT