Cascade, Western Dubuque
Hinton
Iowa Valley, Marengo
Pella Christian
BGM, Brooklyn
CB St. Albert
Panorama, Panora

This post was edited on 3/10 5:57 AM by DarkThunder#61

I guess until somebody in 2A beats them you have to put Western at the top. Should be another fun season next year in class 2A.

I agree - the #1 spot is Western's until someone proves they can knock them off. Easier said that done, from what I heard around the state tourney, they are reloading again next year. Thought there was some really good players and teams at the 2A tourney this year.

There were a lot of quality players in 2A.....and many teams return their core group. Great to see all the young talent- there are obviously some young people and some caoches who are putting the time into their game and their programs to produce quality results on the court- great to see. Not to mention the teams that were in regional finals that did not make state.
Dike New Hartford willl have a solid club, Pocahontas area will be a top 5 team, and IKM Manning obviously had a great squad. I know there are others- just a few off the top of my head.
I think Lawton Bronson will be back in the mix next season also.

I also heard that Manson has a nice group of 8th graders coming up that will mix well with the current players. Any truth to that Wade?

Our 8th grade is about a .500 team. MNW will still be young next year given the kids who played this year. I think at one time down at the well we had 3 sophs and 2 frosh on the floor- so we have some things to build around. 6th and 7th grades at MNW have some pieces that should lead to some good teams....all depends on how bad they want it.

On a 5A note....I think Dowling girls are bigger than some boys teams in the twin lakes. Ok...that might be a stretch but they are big. And Schaben from harlan in 4A.... Impressive!

Wade, those 3 sophs will be juniors, not young anymore. You will be fine, especially with your tuteledge(sp).

Anyone know when the BEDS numbers will be out for next year? Any teams moving up/down that will impact 2A? I see Unity Christian was the smallest 3A school by enrollment. Will they drop down to 2A for next season?

Originally posted by WadeWubben:
I guess until somebody in 2A beats them you have to put Western at the top. Should be another fun season next year in class 2A.
When Western returns the players that they do, and with the system they've built over the last 3-4 years, you have to put them at #1 until somebody can stop them.

I do think the gap is starting to close and as another poster mentioned, Unity Christian dropping down would have a big impact as well. They return more than Western does at the top (lose one senior in their top 9).

I stand corrected Saints85....I guess they are not young- just wishful thinking on our part!!

If Unity drops to 2A that would really be something.....girls union would have their work cut out for them trying to separate unity, western, poky, etc. But, if they can find a way to separate schools that are 5 minutes apart like they did this year- they can make anything work.

Originally posted by DarkThunder#61:

When Western returns the players that they do, and with the system they've built over the last 3-4 years, you have to put them at #1 until somebody can stop them.

I do think the gap is starting to close and as another poster mentioned, Unity Christian dropping down would have a big impact as well. They return more than Western does at the top (lose one senior in their top 9).
Western will be good again, but they have a couple holes to fill.
PG: Big dropoff with the loss of Alissa Pollema. Noone coming up from JV & backup turns the ball over a LOT. Gesink will probably need to slide over to the point, which will reduce her offensive output.
Post: Summer Jansen was a true power forward. Replacement is more of a finesse center, but has a lot of potential.
Wing: Inside will be packed more without Erika Douma to bomb 3's from 25 ft. They do have multiple shooters returning.

They do have a couple freshmen that would have been playing varsity for almost everyone else.
Will probably rotate even more players in.

Still will match up well if Unity moves down (Western had a running clock on them this year).

This post was edited on 3/10 3:56 PM by VanderHoops

Originally posted by VanderHoops:

Still will match up well if Unity moves down (Western had a running clock on them this year).
I don't doubt that you would even with your losses and what they return.

I got these numbers off the football board when discussing redistricting. Unity will have a BEDS of 199 next year and Central Springs in the low 190's so they both should drop to 2A. Aplington-Parkersburg's BEDS are 205 & I also saw CMB is in the low 200's so both of them will move to 3A.

One more thing I wanted to mention. I know a few of you have already spoken about splitting these great NW Iowa teams in the tournament.

Just wanted to remind you that the two biggest factors for when the Union makes up their regions are RANKINGS and GEOGRAPHY.

Obviously, it's not a perfect system and we will end up with two higher ranked teams in one region and others with one ranked team by themselves or two lower ranked teams together.

Generally, it seems, though, that the state will try to separate the top 8 teams if allowed. #4 Hudson and #7 North Butler both ended up in the same region. So that's just one example of why it's not a perfect system.

If Western is still #1 come late January and Unity isn't in the top 10 (let's play devil's advocate even and say they're #11), then it is VERY possible that they end up in the same region, no matter how much NW Iowa fans complain about how superior their talent is up there compared to other places that get teams into the state tournament.

If you don't want that to happen then more NW Iowa teams need to win all their games (aside from Western) so that they, too, can be highly ranked and get their own regional in spite of how uber tough your games are suppose to be. I say deal with it.

Unity got their own because they were ranked #6 in 3A (.....and one of only two NW Iowa teams ranked in the top 10). I would be interested to see how they would work out the regions in 2A if Unity ends up in the top 5-6 teams. In fact I may just tinker with that idea. Remember, it works in 3A because there's 8 teams in each region. You gotta find 4 extra teams in each region in 2A. Then take into consideration the fact that you'd have to stretch to the east and south just to fill those regions and that's harder than some people seem to think it is.

I've heard a lot of people give the Union credit for how they seed their tournament. What the Union does is that it tries to pander to the best teams (or at least per their rankings)....not the best regions of basketball.

Though I should clarify that if Unity does finish #6 or higher, then they should be guaranteed their own region. The 'but' of that is, you look at this year, and then potentially next year. Hinton finished #3 this year and got their own top seed paired with a ranked Treynor and a ranked Woodbury Central, who would go on to reach state. Lawton-Bronson and MVAO, both could be pretty good next year, and Treynor should continue to fight for a spot in the top 15 as well.

If the state panders to the best teams, and let's hypothetically say 4 NW Iowa teams finish in the top 6, then the state is gonna have its hands full trying to pander to them when making up the regions.

It's not a perfect system. The only thing you can do is try and take advantage of it and get yourself into one of those top 8 spots to try and get a top seed (and again referencing Hudson/North Butler, there are no 100% guarantees).

All I care about is that they get the best teams a chance to get to DM....rankings are a little suspect. Let's face it- if you are in the preseason rankings and you do not lose you stay- regardless of who you are playing. It is hard for good teams to break into the rankings.
2010 is a great example. I believe Cascade was #1 and in their region was unranked Mount Vernon- Mount Vernon went on to win the title....so the question becomes how are they unranked? Nobody in front of them lost- but Mt. Vernon was obviously one of the 15 best teams in the state being that they won the championship.
Plus- how much is really put into ranking teams? Most of us could pick the top 10 with pretty good accuracy right now for next season- I doubt there is a lot of in-depth analysis that goes into the rankings.
Poky is a classic example- anybody within 60 miles of poky knew how good they would be this year. I would have ranked them right out of the gate this year.

So, let's see who gets protected by getting the highest rankings to start next season.

Linder says when enrollments are released, he'll adjust his preseason rankings to reflect any class changes.

All I care about is that they get the best teams a chance to get to DM....rankings are a little suspect. Let's face it- if you are in the preseason rankings and you do not lose you stay- regardless of who you are playing. It is hard for good teams to break into the rankings.
2010 is a great example. I believe Cascade was #1 and in their region was unranked Mount Vernon- Mount Vernon went on to win the title....so the question becomes how are they unranked? Nobody in front of them lost- but Mt. Vernon was obviously one of the 15 best teams in the state being that they won the championship.
Plus- how much is really put into ranking teams? Most of us could pick the top 10 with pretty good accuracy right now for next season- I doubt there is a lot of in-depth analysis that goes into the rankings.
Poky is a classic example- anybody within 60 miles of poky knew how good they would be this year. I would have ranked them right out of the gate this year.

So, let's see who gets protected by getting the highest rankings to start next season.
I agree and a lot of that goes with what I was saying.

The one thing I'll add is that even the Union's rankings are still based, and affected, mostly on win/loss record. Mount Vernon finished 25-3 in 2010. I believe all their losses were to 3A teams that year. But a loss is a loss and that will affect their ranking, right or wrong. The clear best team in the class could have 4 losses to teams from class 3A-5A, but as long as other teams are winning, they will move up in the rankings and that 4-loss team that everyone knows is clearly the best will drop down.

The rankings reward teams for winning their games and if, say the top team is not winning (even if they're clearly the best in that class), then they will move another team up and give them a chance.

So yes while you hope to be one of those teams that can get its foot in the door with a high ranking to start the season, it's like I said before, your best bet is to win all your games and not leave it up to the rankings to decide how you get seeded.
smokin.r191677.gif

Btw, I did look into all the teams that could make up a region to separate Unity and Western. Let's just say that they're gonna need several things to play out in their favor in order for it all to work.

Again I'll preface all this by saying that if Unity is a top 5 team along with Western, then the state will most likely separate them.

I counted 19 teams in the NW region. Gave a couple to that side, such as Pocahontas (since they were in Western's region last year) and E'burg (same conf. as Western). I also counted 19 teams in the SW region. SCC and Panorama included along with the SW teams from Hinton's region, etc. I also put MNW in there (and switched out Prairie Valley, who will move to 3A when they combine with SE Webster, and I already feel sorry for them....) just to even it out, being that all other 2A TLC teams were sent to the NW or SW.

So while you can say well hey that's 38 teams and enough for at least 3 regions (12 teams each), how many of those teams could end up deserving a top seed by the end of next year? Everyone talks about Western and Unity. How about SCC? Pocahontas? You're still probably gonna end up with a few regions with several very deserving teams paired together just like with Western and Poky.

P.S. I added Unity to give the NW region 19 teams because it's pretty much a given that they'll be 2A next year. A few others could also move up or move down as well.

Just think about it-
SCC, Poky, IKM Manning, Western, Unity, (Woodbury central will be good again), Lawton Bronson, I think, will be back in the mix- and that is not counting MNW or St. Ed's who will both have really good teams. Also, I believe Okoboji was young this year and Poky had to make a heckuvva come back to beat them in the 3rd round game- there will be a lot of good teams on the western side next year. Not sure what Hinton will have or how good Treynor will be.

Will L-B have Lexi Binder back next year, or did she not go out for bball this year? Either way, their young players coming back should be even better with another year under their belt.

Same with Okoboji, though they'll have a bit of a different look to that team with their top two scorers graduating.

As for Woodbury Central, I don't doubt their program's ability to reload. But losing 3 of their top 4 scorers, including Gallagher at almost 24 ppg, will have an impact at least early on. They do return a lot of their team outside of that though, so that's why there shouldn't be too much drop-off.

Hinton will still be solid, but they do lose their top 3 scorers (and only those 3). So they're probably in a similar boat to Woodbury Central.

Treynor, I think, has the most upside out of those others mentioned, even though they lose 5 seniors. They return their top two scorers which will make a huge difference, and 5 of their top 7 that played in every game.

Update to my previous post. I forgot to add the whole grade sharing agreement between Prairie Valley & SE Webster, which makes them a 3A and keeps CMB in 2A.

The thread where I found some of the enrollment numbers is in the Class 2A football forum. With Unity dropping to Class 1A in football, they are under 200 enrollment because the football 1A to 2A cut-off was just over 200.

I believe the girls union posts next years BEDS later this month or early April.

I agree and a lot of that goes with what I was saying.

The one thing I'll add is that even the Union's rankings are still based, and affected, mostly on win/loss record. Mount Vernon finished 25-3 in 2010. I believe all their losses were to 3A teams that year. But a loss is a loss and that will affect their ranking, right or wrong. The clear best team in the class could have 4 losses to teams from class 3A-5A, but as long as other teams are winning, they will move up in the rankings and that 4-loss team that everyone knows is clearly the best will drop down.

The rankings reward teams for winning their games and if, say the top team is not winning (even if they're clearly the best in that class), then they will move another team up and give them a chance.

So yes while you hope to be one of those teams that can get its foot in the door with a high ranking to start the season, it's like I said before, your best bet is to win all your games and not leave it up to the rankings to decide how you get seeded.
smokin.r191677.gif
This is spot on.

I know that some coaches weigh the pros and cons of scheduling higher class schools. It may result in some losses and thus affect rankings...but the experience makes you better. On the other hand, starting the season ranked high and breezing through an average schedule sets you up better in terms of your seed, both in regionals and state tournament play.

Perhaps the IGHSAA should give more credit to close losses against higher class/ranked opponents and wait a few weeks to come out with their first rankings.

If nothing else, I'd get rid of the preseason ranking. The Union will already have their teams in mind anyway, so wait until after the 1st full week of play to release the rankings. We don't need to get into college football territory where everyone wants the rankings to be released after week 4. But wait until everyone has played at least a game or two.

As for close losses, I do think they give some credence to who teams lose to. Western didn't drop from the top spot after losing to MOC-FV. I think they do take a look at the losses teams have (if that team was a ranked opponent in a higher class, how close the game was, etc.)

I think they should wait 2 more weeks before the set/release regional pairings. Really no need to do it that soon.

We used to do them first week of January. ..I think most coaches would like some time to scout an opponent they have not seen. Two weeks later puts you at last game.

I cant remember which grade it was but I thought it was this years 8 grade group for North Butler that has a great amount of hype behind. If thats the case then I would suspect they might have another state run in them for the upcoming season.

Did not know that....but you are right- they were very good. Who coaches North Butler now?
Did Coach Clipperton just get out of coaching or does he coach elsewhere?

North Butler was not nearly as good as they were in the past. It was really evident that they did not play as hard or near the defense when clipperton was coaching. When you play in a horrible conference, it is easy to get 20 wins with a team a little better than average. If NB would have been in the NICL East, they probably would have at least 4 to 6 losses. The Corn Bowl simply is not very good period. NB definitely will never be the same with out clipperton.

Wow Walleye, way to trash a team that has 10 straight conference wins and 10 straight trips to regional finals. The coach this year did a great job with them. Although A-P sure did give them a tough fight in the season opener. :)

This post was edited on 3/13 6:09 PM by NitroZip

Thunder, Binder will be back next year she missed this season with a stress fracture in her foot. We should be a contender considering 6 sophomores and 1 freshmen played a ton of minutes and 4 of those sophomores played a lot of minutes their freshmen year. So if you put our true post player back in the mix next season should be able to make a run.

He just got out of coaching. He's still at North Butler. Might be the AD, but I'm not sure. Has a son in junior high I think, so maybe he wants to be able to watch him play more. He's still there though. And North Butler was just as tough this year, though not as deep, as they have been in the past. Hard to argue with the last ten years.

BEDS are out. Looks like Cascade and Okoboji just made the cut at 200 for the top of the list.

Clarion-Goldfield looks like they'll round out the 3A field at 202.

Woodbury Central rounds out the bottom of 2A at 131 while Nashua-Plainfield and Van Buren are tops in 1A at 130.

Unity, OA/BCIG and I-35 are all in 2A now this year.

Also, Western Christian inches closer to the 3A line with 192 up from last year at 189. Just pull a few more kids from Sheldon, Sioux Center, Rock Valley, Boyden, Perkins and/or Doon in the next few years and that should work out nicely.
devil.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT