ADVERTISEMENT

2014-15 NCC girls basketball

Wordel

Varsity
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2006
Time to get the NCC girls basketball thread going.

A new look for the conference this year losing two members in Algona Garrigan and Eagle Grove.

The top two contenders this year appear to be St Eds and Hampton Dumont. St Eds lost the leading scorer in the conference in Alli Huss last year, but have Jung and Stumpf both returning. Hampton Dumont lost the leading rebounder (what seems like for the last 5-6 years) in Paige Wragge. They return 3 of the top players in the NCC in gaurd tandem of Jessica Speake, Jordan Prantner and 6'2 post Kennedy Wohlford.

The next tier of teams appear to be Clarion Goldfield (lost Josie Sann) who returns some experience and Mattie Disney. Humboldt was playing well at the end of year last year (lost Friesth) and return Kuyper and Terwilliger. Algona lost Wiseman but return a stout and productive post in Seely. Clear Lake lost a lot from last years state qualifing team (Anderson, Peterson, Kibsgaard), but could still be dangerous with Loudenberg and Faber returning.

I see Webster City and Iowa Falls as maybe having the most ground to make up. Webster City played a lot of younger kids and showed improvement so could be dangerous. Flaws and Bultena will lead the way for the Lynx.
Iowa Falls has Ites returning in the middle but did lose leading scorer Wibholm. They also will rely on some younger kids to step up.

What's everyone think of the upcoming season and what non conference games did you all pick up to make up for the lost 4 games from Eagle Grove and Algona Garrigan??

I think your analysis is spot on. SE and H-D will be tough to beat for anyone in the conference, or the state in their respective classes. I think those teams will finish several games ahead the rest as I feel the other teams will beat up on each other a little. I like Algona and Humboldt to fight it out for the 3rd and 4th. I know it was a scrimmage at ICCC, but I thought both teams looked pretty good against their opponents. Clear Lake is my mystery team because I don't really know what they have with their younger players but they run their system really well and I feel if they have some productive shooting, they will always be a force in the conference. Clarion-Goldfield had a pretty good freshman squad that I saw last year so they could be on the rise with some experience. I don't know if any of those players will move up but I think they would have some pretty players ahead of them if they don't. Webster City could also get in that mix as they have gained some experience with their younger players. That leaves Iowa Falls-Alden. I think they could gain some valuable experience for future years but I think it will be tough sledding for them this year.

As far as games picked up, Humboldt added South Central Calhoun, Ogden, and Bishop-Garrigan (yeah I know it sounds weird) as non-conference games.

I would agree that Hampton-Dumont and St. Edmond will battle it out for the top spot. I will be curious to see who ends up winning what I think will be a dog fight for the next couple of spots. Algona beat Forest City 50-34 Friday night. I could see them, Humboldt, Clear Lake, and Clarion-Goldfield-Dows battling it out to finish in the top half of the conference. Clear Lake lost to Mason City 57-40, but Mason City is probably pretty good. More than likely Webster City and Iowa Falls-Alden will round out the bottom, but I could be wrong. That is my prediction before seeing anyone actually play.

Clarion-Goldfield-Dows has 8 non-conferences games this year including West Hancock, Northwood-Kensett, North Butler, West Fork, Belmond-Klemme, Pocahontas Area, Eagle Grove, and Rockford.

A couple of scores from Monday and Tuesday:

Clarion-Goldfield-Dows 58, West Hancock 53
Hampton-Dumont 67, Northwood-Kensett 44
Pocahontas Area 74, Humboldt 54
South Hardin 65, Iowa Falls-Alden 19

I see the Humboldt vs St Edmond game must of been a good one. One point win for the Gaels.

Hampton Dumont defeated a stubborn Clear Lake squad 70-61. Clear Lake has 3 gals that can shoot the 3 ball. They made 10 3's vs the Dogs.

Standings thru 12-15-14 according to quik stats

H-D 6-0 2-0
Algona 5-0 2-0
Clear Lake 2-2 1-1
Fort Dodge, St Edmond 2-2 1-1
Clarion Goldfield 2-2 0-1
Webster City 1-2 1-0
Humboldt 1-4 0-2
Iowa Falls 1-5 0-1

Results for each division before break. (conference games only)

Pride Division
1. Hampton-D 1-0 4-0
2. Clear Lake 2-1 3-1
3. St. Edmond 0-1 3-1
4. Clarion-G 0-1 0-4

Tradition Division
1. Humboldt 1-0 2-2
2. Algona 1-0 2-2
3. Webster C 1-0 2-2
4. Iowa Falls-A 0-3 0-4

It's kind of interesting that the smaller school, for the most part, have a stranglehold on the top teams when you combine the divisions. It will be interesting to see how these divisions pair up when they start playing each other.

Not sure I fully understand the purpose of the divisional format, especially now that we only have 8 teams in the NCC. Had Garrigan and Eagle Grove elected to stay, this approach might have made more sense. Outside of the 2 largest schools and the 2 smallest schools in the league, you could almost flip a coin as to where the other 4 teams land. According to the IHSAA website, enrollment numbers for NCC schools in 2014-15 are as follows:

Webster City - 409
Humboldt - 354
Algona - 315
Iowa Falls-Alden - 306
Clear Lake - 292
Hampton-Dumont - 271
Clarion-Goldfield - 202
St. Edmond - 178

Over the years the NCC has been a very competitive 2A-3A league, I just don't buy into the Big School - Small School approach or that one exists for that matter. If anything, I would love to see the NCC expand back to 10 (or more) teams to keep the league at a highly competitive level.

To me it would make since if SE would join the twin lakes con. Lots of talent in the conference and a lot less travel and playing schools with similar enrollment. Plus not m,any non-con games!

Has anyone heard any news on all of these schools that the NCC was trying to invite? At different times I've heard of several schools that the NCC was looking at, however most of them seem to me like they would be content where they are. The way it stands, I think we are one school away from this conference folding and I really don't see this Big School/Small School Division making a bit of difference with only 8 teams.

Don't mean to open a can of worms, just curious if anyone has heard any news on this.

Have not heard anything. I do think St.Ed's would be a great addition to the Twin Lakes Conference. They would be a good fit competitively and travel wise.

Originally posted by Magic 10:
Have not heard anything. I do think St.Ed's would be a great addition to the Twin Lakes Conference. They would be a good fit competitively and travel wise.
I think the boys side would prefer to stay in the NCC. The girls would certainly fit right in with the TLC. I like the non-conference games we've picked up this year and hopefully going forward, until another change in the NCC occurs (adding teams or otherwise).

Current overall standings:

1. Hampton-Dumont...8-1, 14-1
2. St. Edmond...8-1, 10-4
3. Clear Lake...6-3, 9-5
4. Humboldt...6-4, 8-7
5. Algona...5-4, 10-5
6. Webster City...4-5, 4-11
7. Clarion-Goldfield/Dows...1-9, 5-12
8. Iowa Falls-Alden...0-10, 1-16

With the St. Edmond girls' 58-52 win over #5 (3A) Hampton-Dumont last night, here's how the standings look heading into Tuesday night's action.

Hampton-Dumont...11-2, 17-2
St. Edmond...11-2, 13-6
Clear Lake...9-3, 13-6
Humboldt...8-5, 10-8
Algona...6-6, 12-7
Webster City...4-9, 4-15
Clarion-Goldfield/Dows...2-11, 7-14
Iowa Falls-Alden...0-13, 1-19

Congrats to both Hampton-Dumont and St. Edmond, the 2014-2015 NCC co-conference champions.

I'm not 100% certain, but I also believe Humboldt has the claim to the first-ever Tradition division title, while Clear Lake earned a 3-way tie for the Pride division title with SE and H-D having also split with both during the regular season. The Lions also split with Humboldt, which is why there isn't a 3-way tie for the overall conference title.

Now with all that out of the way, here's a look at the upcoming postseason contests for all 8 NCC representatives:

Class 2A Region 3:
First Round-
Eagle Grove (1-20) at Clarion-Goldfield (7-15) on Sat., 2/14 at 7pm; winner advances to play at Manson-Northwest Webster (16-5) on Tues., 2/17 at 7pm

Quarterfinal-
St. Edmond (14-6) vs winner of Britt-West Hancock (13-9) /Belmond Klemme (4-17) on Tues., 2/17 at 7pm

Class 3A Region 2:
Quarterfinal-
Waterloo Columbus (3-18) at Hampton-Dumont (18-2) on Sat., 2/14 at 7pm; winner advances to face winner of Union, LaPorte City (17-4) /Aplington-Parkersburg (10-12) in Hampton on Wed., 2/18 at 7pm

Forest City (13-9) at Clear Lake (15-6) on Sat., 2/14 at 7pm

Garner-Hayfield/Ventura (15-7) at Algona (12-9) on Sat., 2/14 at 7pm

-winners advance to play in Clear Lake on Wed., 2/18 at 7pm

Region 7:
Quarterfinal-
Iowa Falls-Alden (1-20) at South Hardin (14-6) on Sat., 2/14 at 7pm; winner advances to face winner of Pocahontas Area (20-1) /Southeast Valley (10-12) in Pocahontas on Wed., 2/18 at 7pm

Class 4A Region 1:
Semifinal-
Humboldt (12-8) vs winner of Spencer (9-13) /Fort Dodge (4-17) on Sat., 2/21 at 7pm

Region 6:
Quarterfinal-
Webster City (4-17) at Boone (13-7) on Wed., 2/18 at 7pm; winner advances to play at Ballard, Huxley (19-2) on Sat., 2/21 at 7pm

Ya gottta take them one at a time but that potential St. Edmond/South central Calhoun matchup is really intriguing.

Scores from tonight's regional first round games:

Class 2A-
Clarion-Goldfield 56, Eagle Grove 50
Britt, West Hancock 51, Belmond-Klemme 42

Region 3 Quarterfinals (on Tues., 2/17 at 7pm):
Clarion-Goldfield/Dows (8-15) at Manson-Northwest Webster (16-5)
Britt, West Hancock (14-9) at St. Edmond (14-6)

Class 3A-
Hampton-Dumont 62, Waterloo Clumbus 18
Union, LaPorte City 54, Aplington-Parkersburg 28
Clear Lake 55, Forest City 35
Garner-Hayfield/Ventura 45, Algona 35

South Hardin 61, Iowa Falls-Alden 47

Region 2 Semifinals (on Wed., 2/18 at 7pm):
Union, LaPorte City (18-4) at Hampton-Dumont (19-2)
Garner-Hayfield/Ventura (16-7) at Clear Lake (16-6)

- Algona finishes the season at 12-10 overall
- Iowa Falls-Alden finishes the season at 1-21 overall

Class 2A-
St. Edmond 77, West Hancock, Britt 49
Manson-Northwest Webster 67, Clarion-Goldfield 46

Region 3 Semifinals (on Fri., 2/19 at 7 pm)
St. Edmond (15-6) at South Central Calhoun (20-2)
West Fork (18-3) at Manson-Northwest Webster (17-5)

Clarion-Goldfield finishes the season at 8-16 overall

those are going to be some great regional semifinal games.. havent seen West Fork and nothing against them but i doubt theyve played the same level of competition as MNW. and i love the St. Eds vs SCC matchup. St Eds has played some really good ball lately and theyre 6 losses are to some pretty good/great teams. and SCC has only 2 losses to two very good teams..

should make for an interesting Friday night

UUUHHHH no injury bug but we do have to travel to H U L L! We might need 10 players on the court to stop them.

Whats up wubbs its been a while.

No kidding though our girls should play well we just need to play a complete game. We have not done that all year.

Looks like the lady cougars are rolling! Good for You.

Yeah, that is a tough road trip. I guess in a game like that you just hope you play your best and see what happens. They are obviously a great team.
We are doing ok- I am hoping our tough schedule pays dividends in the tourney.
Take care, man.

Class 3A-
Hampton-Dumont 56, Union, LaPorte City 49
Clear Lake 53, Garner-Hayfield/Ventura 41

Region 2 Finals (on Sat., 2/21 at 7 pm)
Hampton-Dumont (20-2) vs Clear Lake (17-6), at Mason City

Class 4A-
Boone 55, Webster City 31

Region 2 Semifinals (on Sat., 2/21 at 7 pm)
LeMars (13-10) at Sioux City, Bishop Heelan (18-3)
Spencer (10-13) at Humboldt (12-8)

- Webster City finishes the season at 4-18

Class 2A-
South Central Calhoun 57, St. Edmond 37

Class 3A-
Clear Lake 59, Hampon-Dumont 47

Class 4A-
Spencer 67, Humboldt 58

- St. Edmond finishes the season at 15-7 overall
- Hampton-Dumont finishes the season at 20-3 overall
- Humboldt finishes the season at 12-9 overall

ADVERTISEMENT