ADVERTISEMENT

1A

It is interesting that all this talk is coming from the east side of the state. Yet, west of I-35 has won the 1A title every year since 2016. Will it change this year?
Tie No Respect GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

It is interesting that all this talk is coming from the east side of the state. Yet, west of I-35 has won the 1A title every year since 2016. Will it change this year?
Let's see what goes down Friday then meet up on Saturday to discuss.

Last edited:
Like I have said before with the West dominance over the last decade, West Lyon and Van Meter are up to 2A, West Sioux and OABCIG are down this year. I do think that Underwood could win it, that would not surprise me at all but other than them I don't see anyone West of 35 that has a chance. I don't know how many true contenders there are East of 35 but I do know it is more than one.

Reactions: blcoach80
My Picks:
4th Place at 1st Place

Ridge View (4-4) at Emmetsburg (6-2)
Cascade (2-6) at Grundy Center (8-0)
Hudson (5-3) at MFL MarMac (7-1)
Shenandoah (3-5) at OABCIG (6-2)
Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont (3-5) at Regina, Iowa City (7-1)
West Central Valley (3-5) at Sigourney/Keota (7-1)
Denver (5-3) at South Hamilton (7-1)
East Sac County (4-4) at Underwood (7-1)

3rd Place at 2nd Place

Pocahontas Area (4-4) at Columbus Catholic, Waterloo (6-2)
AHSTW (5-3)
at Hinton (5-3)
Dike-New Hartford (5-3) at Manson NW Webster (3-5)
Ogden (4-4) at Pella Christian (6-2)
South Hardin (4-4) at Sumner-Fredericksburg (7-1)
West Sioux, Hawarden (4-4) at Treynor (7-1)
Pleasantville (5-3) at West Branch (5-3)
Wilton (7-1)
at Woodward-Granger (4-4)

It’s hilarious yet annoying (I know I don’t have to read it) reading the posts about WB and ICR. Yes, WB gets transfers, open enrollments and move-ins, they can’t deny it, but so does probably 100% of other schools. You just don’t hear about most as they may not be good athletes or even athletes at all. Families have different reasons to switch their kids (no matter how it’s accomplished) to schools that are better academically and have better activities (yes fine arts, athletics, FFA etc.).

However, ICR has been in A-2A while being a in school district with 2-3 5A schools they can draw from not to mention the 7 other school districts the IC school district directly borders.

So I’d say it’s a level playing field and the arguments are pointless. More power to the parents who have the ability to provide the best opportunities for their children. It’s part of our job as parents, to make a better life for them. I know we’ve provided the best opportunities for our son and he’s taken full advantage.

My Picks:
4th Place at 1st Place

Denver (5-3)
at South Hamilton (7-1)

3rd Place at 2nd Place

AHSTW (5-3)
at Hinton (5-3)
Wilton (7-1) at Woodward-Granger (4-4)

It’s hilarious yet annoying (I know I don’t have to read it) reading the posts about WB and ICR. Yes, WB gets transfers, open enrollments and move-ins, they can’t deny it, but so does probably 100% of other schools. You just don’t hear about most as they may not be good athletes or even athletes at all. Families have different reasons to switch their kids (no matter how it’s accomplished) to schools that are better academically and have better activities (yes fine arts, athletics, FFA etc.).

However, ICR has been in A-2A while being a in school district with 2-3 5A schools they can draw from not to mention the 7 other school districts the IC school district directly borders.

So I’d say it’s a level playing field and the arguments are pointless. More power to the parents who have the ability to provide the best opportunities for their children. It’s part of our job as parents, to make a better life for them. I know we’ve provided the best opportunities for our son and he’s taken full advantage.
Just felt you had to reply? How about put your picks in and let it go?

Reactions: BlameIt
Same as some others here. Feel pretty confident on most. Denver @ S. Hamilton is really the only one that I can see being a toss up.

4th Place at 1st Place

3rd Place at 2nd Place

AHSTW (5-3)
at Hinton (5-3)
Wilton (7-1)

I'd love to hear more from the West side of the state - Seems stuck a decade ago in the way they're talking about sports (and yes, there are exceptions). But look at the X feed for the hashtag #iahsfb. About 80% of the tweets come from the eastern side of the state. There are discussions going on, but they're mostly focused in their areas (in podcasts etc.) The IAFootball guys, seem to want to create more of a statewide conversation, but I don't know that they're taking off super fast. They certainly are pumping out a considerable amount of social media content.

I'd love to hear more from the West side of the state - Seems stuck a decade ago in the way they're talking about sports (and yes, there are exceptions). But look at the X feed for the hashtag #iahsfb. About 80% of the tweets come from the eastern side of the state. There are discussions going on, but they're mostly focused in their areas (in podcasts etc.) The IAFootball guys, seem to want to create more of a statewide conversation, but I don't know that they're taking off super fast. They certainly are pumping out a considerable amount of social media content.
I really think those guys have done quite a bit in other sports but are currently playing catchup in football. I do think they put more effort into it than any other outlet does. It will be interesting to see how they cover the rest of the year and also next year.

I really think those guys have done quite a bit in other sports but are currently playing catchup in football. I do think they put more effort into it than any other outlet does. It will be interesting to see how they cover the rest of the year and also next year.
Agreed, I applaud their effort. For anyone interested, they do a live show Friday nights after the games, on YouTube, I believe (that's where the core of their content is.) They need more participation from the public in general, but the effort is certainly there. I've seen their work with wrestling and thought it was a good place to get information (free) on a sport that's hard to find stuff sometimes.

Denver (5-3)
at South Hamilton (7-1)

3rd Place at 2nd Place

AHSTW (5-3)
at Hinton (5-3)
Wilton (7-1)

Reactions: EagleSoccerFan
Agreed, I applaud their effort. For anyone interested, they do a live show Friday nights after the games, on YouTube, I believe (that's where the core of their content is.) They need more participation from the public in general, but the effort is certainly there. I've seen their work with wrestling and thought it was a good place to get information (free) on a sport that's hard to find stuff sometimes.
I first became familiar with them during baseball season. Since it is summer you do not hear from a lot of sources on that either.

KMA Sports (kmaland.com) is the best regional provider of sports information you will find in the state. They are on the West side. After expanding their coverage to state rankings they are really improving in that aspect as well. The info is there if you want it.

I rather not subject myself to X for news (talk about being 10 years past prime). Maybe that 80% figure says more about the clientele 👀 Either way @d2mart would be your first follow there.

Reactions: Juice Boy
Emmetsburg
Grundy
MFL
OABCIG
Regina
SK
Denver
Underwood

Columbus
AHSTW
Dike
Pella
Fred
Treynor
West Branch
Wilton

Emmetsburg
Grundy
MFL
OABCIG
Regina
SK
Denver
Underwood

Columbus
AHSTW
Dike
Pella
Fred
Treynor
WB
Wilton

I'll make sure to inform all of the ponies and pigeons on this side of the state to include the hashtag in their X's.

Far less metro area over here and less reporters on the ground that tweet it out. Plymouth County has KLEM radio and LeMars Daily Sentinel that posts score updates and finals every Friday. Above mentioned KMALand does a great job. I don't see much from south west but I'm sure Council Bluffs area has something too. Sioux City Journal's sports fella tweets out scores.

Went and looked at X - sentinel/SCJ/KMA does post with that hashtag and KLEM does not.

Here's some handles:

@KLEMSports
@LeMarsDSsports
@ryantimmerman3 (SC Journal)
@KMASports
@NWestIASports (Northwest Iowa Review - doesn't do a great job of posting scores - just recaps etc)

4th Place at 1st Place

Emmetsburg (6-2)
Grundy Center (8-0)
MFL MarMac (7-1)
OABCIG (6-2)
Regina, Iowa City (7-1)
Sigourney/Keota (7-1)
South Hamilton (7-1)
Underwood (7-1)

3rd Place at 2nd Place

Columbus Catholic, Waterloo (6-2)
AHSTW (5-3)
Dike-New Hartford (5-3)
Pella Christian (6-2)
Sumner-Fredericksburg (7-1)
West Sioux, Hawarden (4-4)
West Branch (5-3)
Wilton (7-1)

Here's some handles:

@KLEMSports
@LeMarsDSsports
@ryantimmerman3 (SC Journal)
@KMASports
@NWestIASports (Northwest Iowa Review - doesn't do a great job of posting scores - just recaps etc)

Also @kiwascores (KIWA radio/Sheldon). They use the hashtag most of the time.

Reactions: Hooper2021

So does probably 100% of other schools? Disagree with that. Most certainly not to the degree of those mentioned.

The west side of I35 is still where the best small class football is played IMO.

Article in the Cedar Rapids Gazette about West Branch yesterday:

“Then recently we’ve had some injuries which have kind of hurt,” said Coach John Hierseman. “It’s kind of been a season of adversity. You hope the kids just keep bouncing back.”

Who is injured on the West Branch squad?

Their running back from Solon, and Reese injured his finger/hand, both late in the Wilton game.

Is this where I need to show the op the open enrollment stats for the state that shows it is indeed 100%?
you know I was/am actually on your side here in the above GIF, correct? Hard to believe. I figure we've gone beyond rabbit holes into nuclear chasms. It's time to stay above ground. Bygones and such.

Question, if West Branch and Regina had a rematch in the playoffs who would get to host? I know Regina was the one seed because of points, but they were technically co-champs and West Branch won head to head.

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
Question, if West Branch and Regina had a rematch in the playoffs who would get to host? I know Regina was the one seed because of points, but they were technically co-champs and West Branch won head to head.
Co-champs mean nothing. It is all based on what district seed you are. That is why if you look at 3-5 Manson hosting a 5-3 DNH team. Only time regular season head to head to head comes into play is if they have the same district finish. Regina finished #1 and WB #2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinehawk
My Picks:
4th Place at 1st Place

3rd Place at 2nd Place

AHSTW (5-3)
at Hinton (5-3)
Wilton (7-1) at Woodward-Granger (4-4)

Reactions: Zowwy21
After seeing all the picks, about the only difference between brackets is that some have Denver winning and some have SH. No one is going to crazy on the picks.
The only other game or 2 that culd be different are possibly AHSTW-Hinton game and Wilton-WG. But even the Wilton game would be a big upset if WG won.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT