ADVERTISEMENT

1A

South Hamilton has a chance of winning if they play up to their abilities. No one is giving them a chance but they do have 2 running backs that were on the state champion 4x400 team last year and if they get into space they are hard to catch. I don't think W-G has a chance against Wilton because I witnessed SH beat them for the district championship and they really weren't very good.

I know speed kills, but speed on a track and speed on a football field are 2 different things. Seen too many 100m dash 200m dash guys who make state, get put on a football field and see other guys just as fast as them.

Final IAHSAA rankings are out.

My thoughts/opinions:

*Treynor is NOT a top 10 team. The only ranked team they've played took them to the woodshed.

*South Hamilton is not top 10 IMHO, either. Their district is arguably the weakest in Class 1A. It'll all come out in the wash.

*West Branch is the only team in 1A who has beaten (2) of the top 10 teams. Interesting.

Grundy
Underwood
Regina
MFL
Sumner
SK
WB
Columbus
Wilton
Dike

^^^My top 10 right now

I know speed kills, but speed on a track and speed on a football field are 2 different things. Seen too many 100m dash 200m dash guys who make state, get put on a football field and see other guys just as fast as them.
West Branch once had a team with the following:

200 champ
400 champ
400 low hurdles champ
800 champ
4x400 champs
4x800 champs
Distance Medley champs
Discus champ

..............and they did NOT make the football playoffs.

They did, however, win the state track title :)

Reactions: ISUfan00
In my opinion I believe District 2 is the weakest in Class 1A. Ogden who got third in District 7 smoked Manson who got second in that district and Poky lost to Manson and so did East Sac. District 1 isn't that far behind either because their district champion OABCIG lost to East Sac County who was 4-4 this season.

West Branch once had a team with the following:

200 champ
400 champ
400 low hurdles champ
800 champ
4x400 champs
4x800 champs
Distance Medley champs
Discus champ

..............and they did NOT make the football playoffs.

They did, however, win the state track title :)
Just curious, what year was that and what class were they in? A lot of good team used to get left out of the playoffs because they didn't have the required points.

Just curious, what year was that and what class were they in? A lot of good team used to get left out of the playoffs because they didn't have the required points.
1982 and 1983. :)

Future All Big Ten and NFL Pro Bowler Marv Cook was on those squads. He was a part of the 4x4, 4x8, Distance med, and won the 400 lows. He also won the discus.

Mount Vernon would beat West Branch each year. Bears would finish 7-1 or 8-1 and be on the outside looking in. 16 team playoff format began in 1988.

1982 and 1983. :)

Future All Big Ten and NFL Pro Bowler Marv Cook was on those squads. He was a part of the 4x4, 4x8, Distance med, and won the 400 lows. He also won the discus.

Mount Vernon would beat West Branch each year. Bears would finish 7-1 or 8-1 and be on the outside looking in. 16 team playoff format began in 1988.
I figured it was before the current playoff format. I believe they changed the playoff format/qualifiers after three Eastern Iowa teams all finished with similar records like 8-1 and they all beat each other but the third place team was left out of the playoffs which was a shame.

The current format may not be all that great but at lease good teams are not left out anymore. I think the IHSAA might look at the format in the future because in Class 2A you have two teams with losing records playing each other WM vs. NH in the first round and obviously one of them will advance while a better team such as Carroll Kuemper vs. Cherokee or Western Christian vs. ELC will not advance after the first round because of geography.

I figured it was before the current playoff format. I believe they changed the playoff format/qualifiers after three Eastern Iowa teams all finished with similar records like 8-1 and they all beat each other but the third place team was left out of the playoffs which was a shame.
I'm vaguely familiar with the scenario of which you speak :)

2006: 13 point rule. It was used for the champion, but not for the runner up. Head to Head was used for the runner up.

Montezuma (6-3) - champion
Regina (8-1) - runner up
West Branch (8-1) - left out

WB beat Montezuma
Regina beat West Branch in 2OT
Montezuma beat Regina

Montezuma went on to be the runner up in Class 1A.

I'm vaguely familiar with the scenario of which you speak :)

2006: 13 point rule. It was used for the champion, but not for the runner up. Head to Head was used for the runner up.

Montezuma (6-3) - champion
Regina (8-1) - runner up
West Branch (8-1) - left out

WB beat Montezuma
Regina beat West Branch in 2OT
Montezuma beat Regina

Montezuma went on to be the runner up in Class 1A.
I believe that is correct. Because it didn't make sense that the team that got left out, WB, actually beat the state runner-up but didn't even make the playoffs. I think the IHSAA and everyone else knew they had to come up with a better plan going forward.

My thoughts/opinions:

*Treynor is NOT a top 10 team. The only ranked team they've played took them to the woodshed.

*South Hamilton is not top 10 IMHO, either. Their district is arguably the weakest in Class 1A. It'll all come out in the wash.

*West Branch is the only team in 1A who has beaten (2) of the top 10 teams. Interesting.

Grundy
Underwood
Regina
MFL
Sumner
SK
WB
Columbus
Wilton
Dike

^^^My top 10 right now
I think grundy beat both Dinh and Wal Columbus

My thoughts/opinions:

Grundy
Underwood
Regina
MFL
Sumner
SK
WB
Columbus
Wilton
Dike

^^^My top 10 right now
Even though they have 1 loss, is Wilton really good enough to be rated #9? Barely beat WB and get smoked by Regina. South Hamilton only has 1 loss and it was to a good 2A school.

West Branch has a losing record against teams over .500. Also presenting facts for discussion.

West Branch has a losing record against teams over .500. Also presenting facts for discussion.
At the risk of opening a can of worms (because i dont have any skin in the game), here is a stat for you @Pinehawk

Regina is 0-1 against teams named the Bears.

Driving Road Trip GIF by SoulPancake

PICK EM CONTEST, anyone?

4th Place at 1st Place

Ridge View (4-4) at Emmetsburg (6-2)
Cascade (2-6) at Grundy Center (8-0)
Hudson (5-3) at MFL MarMac (7-1)
Shenandoah (3-5) at OABCIG (6-2)
Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont (3-5) at Regina, Iowa City (7-1)
West Central Valley (3-5) at Sigourney/Keota (7-1)
Denver (5-3)
at South Hamilton (7-1)
East Sac County (4-4) at Underwood (7-1)

3rd Place at 2nd Place

Pocahontas Area (4-4) at Columbus Catholic, Waterloo (6-2)
AHSTW (5-3)
at Hinton (5-3)
Dike-New Hartford (5-3) at Manson NW Webster (3-5)
Ogden (4-4) at Pella Christian (6-2)
South Hardin (4-4) at Sumner-Fredericksburg (7-1)
West Sioux, Hawarden (4-4)
at Treynor (7-1)
Pleasantville (5-3) at West Branch (5-3)
Wilton (7-1)
at Woodward-Granger (4-4)

4th Place at 1st Place

Denver (5-3) at South Hamilton (7-1)

3rd Place at 2nd Place

AHSTW (5-3)
at Hinton (5-3)
West Sioux, Hawarden (4-4) at Treynor (7-1)
Wilton (7-1)

I am confident on three "upsets" (visiting teams win). I just could not pull the trigger on Denver. I think it may be the best game of the night but I do not think they have it in them to pull out the win.
Most of the 1-4 games will be continuous clock. I think there will be 3 or 4 of the 2-3 matchups that will be continuous at some point during the game. It may not end that way with reserves going in but it will be there at some point.

4th Place at 1st Place

3rd Place at 2nd Place

AHSTW (5-3)
at Hinton (5-3)
Wilton (7-1)

I am confident on three "upsets" (visiting teams win). I just could not pull the trigger on Denver. I think it may be the best game of the night but I do not think they have it in them to pull out the win.
Most of the 1-4 games will be continuous clock. I think there will be 3 or 4 of the 2-3 matchups that will be continuous at some point during the game. It may not end that way with reserves going in but it will be there at some point.
Is it true that Sumner Fred lost their starting QB couple weeks ago and just last week lost their starting RB to injuries? Thats not good going into the post season.

Is it true that Sumner Fred lost their starting QB couple weeks ago and just last week lost their starting RB to injuries? Thats not good going into the post season.
Henderson? Willems?

Willems is lightning in a bottle. Henderson is gritty. Both are extremely talented.

Last edited:
Sum-Fred QB is out with broken arm.
Heard that Willems is hurt, but will still attempt to play.

Denver (5-3)
at South Hamilton (7-1)

3rd Place at 2nd Place

AHSTW (5-3)
at Hinton (5-3)
West Sioux, Hawarden (4-4)
at Treynor (7-1)
Wilton (7-1)

I am almost tempted to take South Hardin if SF is without two of it's key guys

1. Has a #4 ever beat a #1 seed?
2. What's the furthest (mileage) you've seen a team have to travel in a 2nd or 3rd round game?

1. Has a #4 ever beat a #1 seed?
2. What's the furthest (mileage) you've seen a team have to travel in a 2nd or 3rd round game?
I remember in 2019 when West Lyon went to Osage, then DNH then the UNI Dome for their last 4 games. That is a lot of driving.

Yes there have been #4 beat #1s, Pella reached the State Finals as a #4 I believe in 2008.

West Lyon to Dike New Hartford
I also remember Mason City Newman going to AHSTW

Yes there have been #4 beat #1s, Pella reached the State Finals as a #4 I believe in 2008.

West Lyon to Dike New Hartford
I also remember Mason City Newman going to AHSTW
Whoa, West Lyon to Dike is 253 miles. Pretty sure the state sent Western Christian to Parkersburg last year and that was 230 miles. Hopefully the state matches up western teams with eastern teams in the 2nd and 3rd rounds so the best 4 teams get to the Dome.

My Picks

4th Place at 1st Place

3rd Place at 2nd Place

AHSTW (5-3)
at Hinton (5-3)
Wilton (7-1)

Denver (5-3)
at South Hamilton (7-1)

3rd Place at 2nd Place

AHSTW (5-3)
at Hinton (5-3)
Wilton (7-1)

Denver (5-3)
at South Hamilton (7-1)

3rd Place at 2nd Place

AHSTW (5-3)
at Hinton (5-3)
Wilton (7-1)

PODS (obviously, just predictions)

1 Grundy - EBurg- Dike - Pella Christian
2 Underwood - OABCIG - 8 Treynor - Hinton
3 Sumner- 6 SK- West Branch - Denver
4 MFL - 5 Regina - 7 Columbus - Wilton

* The lack of Western Iowa teams remaining make it difficult to even out the pods. IF Denver beats SH, it makes it even more difficult.

* There WILL be a "Pod of Death" or two because the East is pretty stacked.
There is no way Sumner will get the home field. They are a 2 seed. Even if they are in the top 4 the rules state that #1 seed gets home field.

1. GC vs SF and South Hamilton vs Columbus
2. Is correct
3. Regina vs. PC and SK vs. WB
4. MFL vs Wilton and Eburg vs Dike

I think they will try to avoid rematches in round 2. They will have to do it in round 3

There is no way Sumner will get the home field. They are a 2 seed. Even if they are in the top 4 the rules state that #1 seed gets home field.

1. GC vs SF and South Hamilton vs Columbus
2. Is correct
3. Regina vs. PC and SK vs. WB
4. MFL vs Wilton and Eburg vs Dike

I think they will try to avoid rematches in round 2. They will have to do it in round 3
he has Denver beating South Hamilton. So then yes Sumner Fred could host because 7 #1 seeds and 1 #2 would host

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
But even if Denver wins, they would not have a #2 host a #4. #2 would host a #2 and a #1 would host a #4.
Ok, then Sigourney-Keota can host Denver and Sumner host West Branch.

It aint rocket science. Also, it's just a prediction. Just having some fun. We all know the IHSAA isn't going to take advice from the educates posters of Iowa Preps. Haha

Reactions: GOPANTHERS23
My pics for 1st round:

Emmetsburg
GC
MFL Mar Mac
OABCIG
IA City Regina
Sig-Keota
S.Hamilton
The Dirty U.

Wat. Columbus
AHSTW
Dike-NH
Pella Christian
Sumner-Fred
Treynor
West Branch
Wilton

At the risk of opening a can of worms (because i dont have any skin in the game), here is a stat for you @Pinehawk

Regina is 0-1 against teams named the Bears.
West Branch hadn’t beaten Regina in well over a decade until last year. Then WB gets to host back to back years, and finally wins, both times with IC Liberty transfer QB’s.
You should know better than to talk too much, when WB hasn’t won anything since 1992.
In fact it would be hard to name a team that has underachieved as much as West Branch.
Good teams every year… but hasn’t won a State Championship in over 30 years.
Regina has won State Championships in 3 different classes since West Branch last won one.

Reactions: Hawkhopeful
It is interesting that all this talk is coming from the east side of the state. Yet, west of I-35 has won the 1A title every year since 2016. Will it change this year?

Reactions: Hooper2021
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT