ADVERTISEMENT

1A

3/25 with 2 interceptions
SK returned a punt for a TD, an INT for a TD, KO for TD, punt for a TD only completed 2 passes, both were TDs.

I would be critical of piling on the points, but when you look at SK only ran 16 plays from scrimmage, so I'm not sure how much of a arsenal they even had on the field to pull off.

And to think - Colfax Mingo has actually won a game... against a 2A opponent...think about that one....
with all of our talk about 1st and second tier teams, there are really some programs out there in a world of hurt
However, most of that damage was not done by freshmen. Even if they did not run a lot of plays they did plenty of damage with their first team in other parts of the game. It was a home game so they could have put their freshmen in way sooner than that and still had a running clock. I guess that is not how everyone plays the game. That is also how some good players get injured and are out the rest of the season.

However, most of that damage was not done by freshmen. Even if they did not run a lot of plays they did plenty of damage with their first team in other parts of the game. It was a home game so they could have put their freshmen in way sooner than that and still had a running clock. I guess that is not how everyone plays the game. That is also how some good players get injured and are out the rest of the season.
Did they play the JV game prior to the varsity game limiting the number of quarters the JV kids could play?

Did they play the JV game prior to the varsity game limiting the number of quarters the JV kids could play?
no
center hike the ball over QB a few times--lost a lot of yards
kick offs-- they let the ball roll down to about 1 or 5 yard line waiting for it to to roll in to end zone it didn't
very boring game

River Valley schools play Monday JV games, but yes, I'm sure that's a consideration/limitation for coaching staffs.

What’s that?
You had mentioned weather potentially being a factor in the Wilton/Regina matchup. I was attempting to quip on whether Brent Moore would add weather history into the predication calculations. I sure made a mess of it by replying to the wrong comment.

Reactions: ISUfan00
Anyone else go to Hudson vs GC last night? Hudson was in the game 3-7 I believe at start of 4th quarter and then GC blew the doors off.

Yup saw that. Wind and rain. UGH. GC did not play well. might have trouble in the playoffs if they play like that. Hudson is better than most think.

The state is going to have some issues with travel and teams hosting if they try and get the best four teams to the dome. Look at Emmetsburg(who is VERY underrated by most people in this thread). They will be a district champ, 5-0 in the district. They will host the first and second rounds. Even if you try and give them Underwood or Grundy Center both of those teams will have to travel to Emmetsburg in the third round if you go by the criteria for the state.
Emmetsburg could be a dark horse in the playoffs. They had a tough first two games with some kids out due to suspensions and playing good teams(bad combination). The district is weak, but they have only given up 11 points in 4 games with-in the district so they have done what they are supposed to do against the competition that they have.
As always, playoff time is the best tome of the year.

Anyone know what the protocol is for these games being played under a tornado watch? Are they delayed? I haven’t seen anything released yet

Anyone know what the protocol is for these games being played under a tornado watch? Are they delayed? I haven’t seen anything released yet
I’m guessing they’ll use the normal inclement weather (lightning delay). We had a girls soccer match several years ago delayed 3 different times in a night before they finally decided to play the next day I believe. It’s determined by the host school and reach agreement with opposing team to postpone. Regular season finales have to be finalized on Saturday. Non-regular season finales by Monday unless the agree to make the game final with the current score.

There’s currently a tornado warning for Gilbert as I type this.

Last edited:
Halftime. Regina 35, Wilton 0.
Continuous clock to start the 2nd half.

Edit: Final. Regina 35, Wilton 0.

Iowa City Regina is the 1A District 5 Champion.

Last edited:
It was just a statement and a clarification. Relax.

It‘s time to figure out the final seedings and playoff matchups.

Last edited:
It was just a statement and a clarification. Relax.

It‘s time to figure out the final seedings and playoff
No worries Uncle Rico. Your family name will still be remembered in the halls of Regina regardless of any of their teams district asterisks. Let the playoffs begin.

CLASS 1A​

4th Place at 1st Place

Ridge View (4-4) at Emmetsburg (6-2)

Cascade (2-6) at Grundy Center (8-0)

Hudson (5-3) at MFL MarMac (7-1)

Shenandoah (3-5) at OABCIG (6-2)

Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont (3-5) at Regina, Iowa City (7-1)

West Central Valley (3-5) at Sigourney/Keota (7-1)

Denver (5-3) at South Hamilton (7-1)

East Sac County (4-4) at Underwood (7-1)

3rd Place at 2nd Place

Pocahontas Area (4-4) at Columbus Catholic, Waterloo (6-2)

AHSTW (5-3) at Hinton (5-3)

Dike-New Hartford (5-3) at Manson NW Webster (3-5)

Ogden (4-4) at Pella Christian (6-2)

South Hardin (4-4) at Sumner-Fredericksburg (7-1)

West Sioux, Hawarden (4-4) at Treynor (7-1)

Pleasantville (5-3) at West Branch (5-3)

Wilton (7-1) at Woodward-Granger (4-4)

Wilton going to Woodward-Granger.

IHSAA must like the Beavers to give them that weak of a match-up.

Dike going to Manson

IHSAA must like the DNH boys to give them a that weak of a match-up.

Pleasantville at West Branch

Perhaps the most intriguing first round match-up of all 16 games. IHSAA didn't do Bears any favors, that's for sure. Trojans are going to give them a battle.

DENVER, WILTON, PLEASANTVILLE are the best upset special teams I see.

Thoughts from anyone else ?

I disagree. The starters deserve to play at least the whole first half. They earned the time, so they should play.

I disagree. The starters deserve to play at least the whole first half. They earned the time, so they should play.
Do they deserve it - probably. If I was a player and they did that to my team, I would completely go for a knee or ankle. Like it or not, you run up the score, you pay. Even if it is not dirty play, there is always the chance of injury especially in football.
Now to the playoffs.

Wilton going to Woodward-Granger.

IHSAA must like the Beavers to give them that weak of a match-up.

Dike going to Manson

IHSAA must like the DNH boys to give them a that weak of a match-up.

Pleasantville at West Branch

Perhaps the most intriguing first round match-up of all 16 games. IHSAA didn't do Bears any favors, that's for sure. Trojans are going to give them a battle.

DENVER, WILTON, PLEASANTVILLE are the best upset special teams I see.

Thoughts from anyone else ?
It is an easy game for Wilton but the state did not do any favors for travel time.
West Branch will probably win by more than you think.
The team that has to be the most concerned about the first game is SH. Having to play Denver is going to be no easy task.
When is the last time West Sioux went on the road for the first game?

Last edited:
Reactions: rc1963
In my opinion the IHSAA doesn't believe that South Hamilton is worth their record. Even though all three of the teams they played in non-district are playoff teams. Obviously West Marshall isn't that good but Roland-Story did finish second in their district and South Hardin ended up third in their district. They can't control who they play in their district because the IHSAA determines the district. They definitely have the toughest first round matchup of the district champs. Hopefully they can prove the doubters wrong. I do know that District 3 was the toughest in 1A so the Hawks will have their work cutoff for them on Friday night.

It will be interesting to see how the pods are divided. I think they will pair up D1 and D8 and Underwood would be the Dome teamI think that D4 and D5 will be paired together with Wilton going north if they win. The everyone else is thrown into a blender and I am not even guessing how that will be divided. Grundy and MFL are the teams set to make it to the done in that area.

My pod predictions.

Pod 1
SF VS DENVER
WAT COL VS MFL
Pod 2
GC VS PC
EMMET VS DNH
Pod 3
WILTON VS IC REG
SK VS WB
Pod 4
UNDER VS TREYNOR
OABCIG VS AHSTW

The state will separate the top 4 (at least they are supposed to), thats the purpose of their rankings.

The new rankings weren't out when I started typing this but should be out anytime.
Last week the top 4 teams (according to the IAHSAA)
1. Grundy Center
2. Underwood
3. Sum-Fred
4. MFL

Unless Regina jumps ahead of SF or MFL ,then I don't see SF and MFL in the same pod (at least they shouldn't be)

My pod predictions.

Pod 1
SF VS DENVER
WAT COL VS MFL
Pod 2
GC VS PC
EMMET VS DNH
Pod 3
WILTON VS IC REG
SK VS WB
Pod 4
UNDER VS WEST SIOUX (fify)
OABCIG VS AHSTW
West Sioux over Treynor in round 1.

Also, i think maybe WB v Regina and Wilton v SK in Pods.

Beavers got a gift in round 1 though. My gosh. Their #2 opponent lost to WBs #3 seed by 14 points. The travel sucks but Beavers are gonna win big.

Eastern half of the state is a logjam of talented teams. Underwood gets a walk to the Dome. Nobody on west can best them. Then again, there are only going to be 4 or 5 western teams left after Friday.

MFL is D3 champs, SF runner-up (due to tie-breaker). Will the state flip them in their final rankings? (yes I know SF beat MFL 13-9, but MFL thumped Dike 34-14, and Dike beat SF by 10.

My pod predictions.

Pod 1
SF VS DENVER
WAT COL VS MFL
Pod 2
GC VS PC
EMMET VS DNH
Pod 3
WILTON VS IC REG
SK VS WB
Pod 4
UNDER VS TREYNOR
OABCIG VS AHSTW
I think that Pod 3 will have PC at Regina and Wilton will move to Pod 1 and Denver goes to Pod 2. Then Wilton plays at MFL and WC vs SF.
But if SH and WG win their games, this could mess everything up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT